Osaru-no Oyado (Monkey's Inn) Reviews

3-23-21, Wakasa, Naha City, Okinawa, Japan

I'm not sure what to say. It's a little out of the way (near the wharf), and the dorm itself is not much different from the mega dorms you find in Scandinavia with all the bunk beds very close to each other and separated by a curtain (but Norway didn't have curtains). Most of the facilities (kitchen, tatami room) are in a building next door and security is ensured by a camera system and random guys watching the place. The staff were nice enough, but it's not for everyone.

The place was dirt cheap, wasn't expecting much. A great place to just crash if you need to

• 27th Mar 2015

Even though this place may not be fancy as so many other hostels in Japan, staying was definitely my best hostel experience in the country. The boss is super nice. On my last night of stay, he invited the guests to play drinking games with several locals, which has been a great experience to see week but brave and funny drinking Japanese. I would really recommend this place to most of the people to Okinawa, especially the solo backpackers! :)

I ended staying here way longer than I planned, but it was well worth it. Met some great folk, the locations good for seeing Naha, and even better for travelling to the nearby islands by ferry as Tomari port is about 200m away. The owner was super helpful in sorting out all my onward travel etc, and even drove me to the airport on my last day for for. Legend. As a guy the only downside is the 18 bed dorm room is a bit of an odd one. But it makes for a good experience all the same.

Probably the best you can find in Okinawa in terms of value & atmosphere, as long as you are not expecting a hotel. It’s darn inexpensive, & even cheaper if you book a full week or more. The owner, Imai, will go out of his way to make sure that you have a great stay. I spent a week and had an amazing time. Over that span, there were a handful of communal Japanese dinners as well as countless drinks shared. Bonus points for the guesthouse puppy, who will keep you company if no one else is around.

20 mins walk from miebachi station bycle broken computer borkne( monitor with flickering screen) not usable wifi unstable always disconnect no lock at the door, even door will close at night and a locker to keep valuables , still feeling unsafe.

This is the first hostel I've ever stayed at, and I a impressed. The location is great. It's about a 10 min walk to kokusaidori, so it's convenient, but it's far enough away that it is quiet at night. mae was a great host. He pointed us towards a great izakaya to eat at our first night. He is friendly and laid back and I enjoyed listening to his music while he cleaned. The place is very clean. The beds are a little hard, but that's pretty typical of bedding in Japan and the price can't be beat.

• 11th Feb 2015

Staff very helpful and friendly, location isn't bad, 15 mins from station. Facilities overall good, beds are very hard.

Very nice owner and decent decoration.

• 4th Jan 2015

This hostel has so much character! Very beachy feel with a nice kitchen/common space. 15 minute walk from the city center. Great hospitality!! Will definitely stay here again.

I had a great time at this hostel. The owner took us out to a few restaurants and a cheap pub so we had a good time every night. I'm a solo traveler but I met many people here. The male dorm had very cheap beds and had curtains to divide one bunk from the next. There were two lounges with all the entertainment you would expect, plus a kitchen with everything you would need. Kokusai-Dori (the main shopping street) is a ten/fifteen minute walk away and the hostel has amenities nearby. Will return!

• 8th Dec 2014

Monkey's Inn was extremely cozy. The female dorm had brightly patterned curtains strung up around the beds, which gave me a lot of privacy at night. The common room is very inviting. Imai was very friendly and helpful and helped me locate several restaurants and other fun things to do in Naha- there's a beach nearby! Towels and bicycles are free to borrow, and it's easy to ride a bike in the area. Finally, Monkey's Inn has an adorable, fluffy, DOG!

• 29th Nov 2014

Excellent hostel, the owner and his dog were really welcoming. The common area provided me with the opportunity to interact with the friendly locals which was great. The ferry terminal is about 2 minutes walk from the hostel if you're interested in exploring the surrounding islands. Don't hesitate to book!

Stayed on two separate occasions and both times were easy and smooth. Very friendly staff gave me a lot of help and advice. Free bicycles, cold tea, towels, beer on site, all good!

• 5th Nov 2014