Ostello San Frediano Reviews

Via della Cavallerizza 12, Lucca, Italy

The room and the bathroom was good but the breakfast for 5 euros didn´t offer neither fruits or eggs as advertised.

Clean, they let us leave our luggage there after we checked out, friendly staff. Great value for money at €20 a night and only an extra €5 buffet breakfast. Wifi only works on ground floor but wasn't a problem for me

• 15th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Dear Joyce, thank you for your wonderful review, we really appreciate it. Thank you again and see you soon in Lucca. best regards, The staff

The two middle aged ladies that were on the desk during my stay were not very friendly or helpfu, however the young guy I saw interact with many of those staying was so friendly and eager to help.. those other two should take lessons in customer service from him!”

This hostel is in a great spot, in a beautiful building with plenty of common areas and big rooms. But there is no air con and if you are there in summer like I was the building gets terribly hot and there are no fans either. Also don't plan on charging things as I had no power points in my room an 8 bed dorm too, apparently some rooms had one but you found most ppl including myself had to sit in common rooms to charge. Staff were nice but didn't go beyond basic needs, not overly helpful.

Ciao, thanks for your review. For what concern the plugs, all rooms have at least one and it's also possible to leave things in charge at the reception desk. We don't have the airco, but every room have fans. For the staff, we always do all the efforts to be more helpful as possible, given all the informaion request, even if when we are really busy due to the really high season. We hope to welcoming back again, sure that you will leave with 100% positive opinion. Best regards, The staff

This place is definitely more family orientated. It's a lovely set up and very comfortable. Great location for seeing lucca

Ciao Megan, thank you so much for this good review, we really appreciate it. best regards, Marco

Pros: enormous bed and sitting rooms, very clean, quiet (apart from wedding party next door until 04.00), Cons: No kitchen. Ignore directions to walk around walls unless you like a long walk. Head north and slightly left from Railway Station, into Old Town, to Anfiteatro and San Pedriano Church. Hostel a few metres from church. About 10 minutes' walk.

Ciao thank you for your good review. For what concern the directions by walk from the train station, we have written two different options...one easy but longer, and another faster but more complicated.

It was a wonderful experience for me and my two girls. We felt like medieval pilgrims. Wonderful, very atmospheric place. Would recommend to everybody. I.R.

• 20th Jul 2014
  • All Female Group, 41+

Really great labyrinth-like building, would be extra fun for large groups!

Hi Dimitar, thank you so much for your nice review. With the hope of welcoming you back here in Lucca, we wish you all the best. The staff

The exit is not actually signposted as San Frediano so you need to see the church and guess. Also, it's not a baluardo. The wi-fi did not work

Hi , we thank you for the review, even if we didn't understand a lot a bout it :). The hostel has a big sign that says Ostello San Frediano and anotehr says Internation Youth Hostel, just on the main door at the entrance; and of course is not a "balardo", this was a monastery of the XIV century. Finally, we inform that we have a free wifi working in all the ground floor and also in the common areas of the 2nd floor. Best regards, The staff

I had a great stay and the location was perfect

• 22nd Jun 2014

Ciao , thank you so much for such a beatiful review. We wish you al the best, The staff

Quite a strange large building, but equipped with all that is needed. The location is also very good, can recommend :)

Ciao , we thank you for this great review and nice words. With the hope of welcoming back in Lucca, we wish you all the best. The staff

Very large, spacious hostel. Very mature, more like a hotel than anything. There wasn't really a youthful vibe at all. The breakfast was good and overall the price was good. I was comfortable in my room and there were large locking cabinets for my luggage.

Hi , thank you for your review, nice words and suggestion. For what concern the youthfull vibes, we think it depends also from the kind of guests we have in a certain day, sometimes we have also groups of young people and we assure that the atmospher is really youthfull :) we hope to welcoming you again in one of these days Best regards, the staff

It was quite cold, and wifi only worked in one corner of the lobby.

This hostel is kinda weird. It's adequate and the building is nice but it's huge and poorly planned. There are lounge rooms everywhere but no kitchen. The rooms are small and NO PLUGS which is ridiculous. Also the ceilings are really high but the bunk beds are so low you can't sit up in bed. Also there was so much dust under my bed I'm not sure they had ever cleaned under there. Also the wifi was basically useless and rarely worked. My friend discovered his locker key opened other lockers.

This is a very good hostel for the price and location! I would definitely stay here again. The only minor annoyance I found was that there was only one outlet in a room for 8 people. This was not ideal if you must charge up your electronics over night. You can leave your electronics with the front desk to charge up. There is a very good pizza shop next door, and a place to rent bikes (a very fun thing to do here) down the street. I highly recommend this hostel! :)

This was the most beautiful hostel I had stayed in. This time I stayed in the 8-bed dorm, preferred the 6-bed dorm. I would recommend and stay here again if I were at the same point in my trip. CONS: no individual lights at the bed, only one power outlet in the room for everyone, WIFI is ONLY available at the reception.

A wonderful building in a wonderful location, high ceilings and a generally luxurious air. Some practicalities could be improved: the advertised WiFi signal worked very poorly; the breakfast was modest ("sausages" meant a few thin slices); it would have been nice to have a kitchen or at least a possibility of making tea and coffee. But all in all I would definitely visit again.

• 19th May 2014
  • Estonia

Hi, thank you for your review and good suggestion, we'll take care of it and we will improve the things you said. We hope to welcoming you again in Lucca and we wish you all the best. The staff

Wonderful hostel, I mean it's like a hotel, very clean, nice room, and the staff very kindly, I recomend this hostel to everyone!!! Would like to come back again....

Clean, quiet, and lots of space in this hostel! Each guest is provided his/her own locking cabinet for belongings. Wifi in common areas, but the signal doesn't reach the dorm rooms. Breakfast is average, if you decide to sign up for it you're paying for convenience more than quality. Excellent accommodation.

Has a weird Shining kind of feel about it, but I liked that. Staff are helpful and pleasant. Rooms are basic but clean and well maintained. The shared toilets/showers on my floor weren't great - one shower was broken so only one for all the guys on a whole floor (the floors are quite big) was pretty ridiculous. Wifi can only be accessed in the front lobby, not even in a lounge a few metres away that claims to be for wifi use.