Ostello del Bigallo - Bigallo Hostel Reviews

Via Bigallo e Apparita, 14 Bagno a Ripoli, Florence, Italy

I left my passport at the reception and didn't realize until a few hours after I checked out. Nathalie was kind enough to send it to a hotel by the Florence train station so I could pick it up!

Hello! Fine you got your passport and sorry that it remained here with us. Hope you enjoyed your stay with us and wishes you still a nice stay in Rome. Best greetings from all the Bigallo Staff and hope you can come back once - our Hostel is usually good in cleanliness but you know on January 1st we had a big party and many people were all over the Hostel.

Bigallo hostel is an old monastery far away from the center of Firenze. The problem, is not to take two bus to arrive there, but a very and cansative walk , a climb to arrive there and no lights in the night. For those have car, it can be a nice choice for the price but who doesnt, its not a good option. Aside it, I noticed they turned off the heater in the middle of the night, what was bad as the monastery is very cold, specially for being localizated in a mountain. Bathroom wasnt clean.

• 30th Dec 2014

Hello, sorry to read that your journey did not seemed pleasant with us. Indeed to get to the Hostel from the city center of Florence you need to take 2 buses and then have a 1km walk uphill, as informed on the Hostelworld page. We are not really in the mountains but in the tuscan countryside upon a hill. The week you stayed with us was indeed very cold, temperature went under 0°C, so I'm sorry you found the place cold nonetheless we have heating. I wish you could stay with us in summertime.

Great place to stay, i highly recommand it. Perfect to enjoy THE real Tuscan experience. The building is amazing, so beautifully restored and quiet. The view and the countryside around definitely worth the journey. Great atmosphere. The pastas and the breakfast are great as well.

Hi! Happy to know that you had a real tuscan experience and that is exactly what we like to give our guests. The whole Bigallo staff sends you his best greetings and will be happy to welcome you again.

The difficulty of getting there as a traveler makes it not really worth it. After the hour long bus rides from the train station you are dropped off at the bottom of a hill and if you have a ton of bags trekking up won't be fun. Made a reservation and when we showed up we came to find not a single other soul was there in this HUGE building. It is really creepy being their utterly alone at night but was a fun experience. The free hot chocolate in the morning at this place is amazing!!

• 24th Oct 2014

Hello! you are right that it is some hard to get uphill to the Hostel; we always tell everyone. Your stay was indeed in some more quiet days and that gives the impression that you are alone even if this is not so... the place is really huge. Hot chocolate makes it always good..... Best greetings and we will be happy to welcome you again maybe with the Hostel full!

This is a monastery. Keep in mind that monks went to monasteries to remove themselves from society. By staying here, you are doing exactly that. The latest bus that is nearest to the hostel runs at 9:45pm (and 9:05 on the weekend). If you miss either of these buses, you will have a 1.5-2 hour walk uphill to bigallo. Wifi not offered in rooms and the wifi in the lobby is unreliable at best. They offer pasta at night for an hour knowing there is nowhere else you can eat near the hostel. Dont stay

• 4th Oct 2014

Hi! Really sorry you did not like our place which indeed was a former monastery and not willing to be a modern city hostel. So you are absolutely right to say that staying with us makes you remove ...and discover autentique tuscan nature and live. We always inform about the busses so that our guests can organize. WiFi is only in common areas on purpose so that people can meet and know each other and so is also PastaTime offered in the evening at only €. 7,00 to make it affordable. Greetings

Beautiful location..but way out of the city and an uphill climb. The place itself was pretty - a monastry converted to hostel. There werent too many people there. I think I would have wanted to stay there again if it wasnt that far out and on top of a hill. You have to take 2 buses to reach the city which can be really inconvenient as the bus timings are really weird.

Interesting and unique hostel in an old monastery. View from the balcony over Florence is breathtaking. Pasta time is good value; nightmare to get to however and the public transport is unpleasant. Ideal for couples with a car.

We loved this beautiful place to stay outside of Florence, but do NOT stay here unless you have transportation. It's just too far by public transport/ walking. Also, my phone was stolen while charging. There are very few outlets in the dormitory, and I was very upset to find out my phone was stolen, and the hostel promised to check their insurance policy, and still have not contacted me. I do believe this is typically a very safe place to stay, just sucks it happened to me.

Hi! very sorry for your phone, it is really unusual. We also always suggest to use the lockers; every bed has lockers in which to place personal and precious belongings. As a hostel we are not responsable for personal belongings of our guests so it is not possible to have a refund from the insurance which is for damage made by the hostel. Thanks anyway for having appreciated our place, even if it is outside the city! Best greetings from the Bigallo Staff