Ostello del Bigallo - Bigallo Hostel Reviews

Via Bigallo e Apparita, 14 Bagno a Ripoli, Florence, Italy

The staff and facilities are excellent!!! I will certainly recommend this hostel to my friends. Dinner and atmosphere were great! But the Hostel is not well-marked from the road. Drivers cannot see the name of he hostel from their cars. It was very difficult and frustrating to find. Also, there was a miscommunication about the bathrooms. Staying in a 5 person room, we thought we would only be sharing the bathroom with those people, not the entire hostel.

Hello! It was our pleasure to have you all here with us at the Hostel and are glad you enjoyed it. Indeed the Hostel is not really marked from the street because being an historic medieval building we are not allowed to put any signs on it. As to the bathrooms, we have them all in common and do not assign them to any particular room so that anyone can use them in any moment. So just recommend us to your friends or come back. Our best greetings - Nathalie, Tommaso and Francesco!

This hostel was refreshingly different from most hostels and had a lovely old historical vibe. The rooms were really spacious and almost eerie in a good way where you could let your imagination go wild. The hostel itself was fun to explore as it is very large and has an amazing medieval kitchen as well as some medieval gardens. I highly recommend this hostel as a great getaway from cities to enjoy a more peaceful setting.

• 17th Nov 2015

Hello, thanks for this nice review, reading that you enjoyed this medieval Hostel. We all send you our best greetings - Bigallo Staff

A bus ride away from Florence, it is worth staying here for the beautiful scenery, incredible building and authentic stay. There is parking available if you come by car. We went in November so there was hardly no one else there which did not help with the atmosphere but we treated it as a peaceful retreat. A stunning building, amazing for a wedding or special event too. I loved the style of the rooms and little corners with sofas and books. The garden was great too, I could imagine it in summer.

Hi! Thanks for writing and telling us your expierience at the Bigallo Hostel. Indeed the Hostel is less busy in november but as soon as spring arrives, I suggest you to come back and enjoy our garden and the typical tuscan surroundings with view of Florence. Best greetings from the Bigallo Staff

This really is a memorable hostel. Huge amounts of history and the staff are absolutely brilliant. Leave the hustle and bustle of Florence behind and head into the idyllic countryside with beautiful views from the terrace. Transport between the hostel and Florence is via 2 buses and a walk up/down a hill but, for me, this added to the experience and allowed me to meet more locals. The directions to the hostel could be clearer but when you've found it once you'll be fine.

Hello! This is a nice reading for us and knowing that you had a memorable stay makes us happy! Indeed coming up to the hostel makes you meet locals ( they love to pick up our hosts and bring them at the hostel) We all hope you can come back also in summertime! And... we will work on improving directions! Our best greetings Bigallo Staff

Ostello del Bigallo was our most memorable stay in Italy! The staff are the most friendly and caring people you could ever meet, in particular Francesco was such a sweetheart and he went completely out of his way for us. The hostel itself is in pristine condition, very clean, neat and tidy. The hostel is absolutely beautiful, beds are comfy and quiet, breakfast was great. The grounds and surrounding suburbia is incredibly beautiful and lush, absolutely picturesque. We didn't want to leave! 10/10

Welcoming you here at Bigallo Hostel was a great pleasure! Thank you for having been with us and for loving Bigallo! If you ever come back you'll be welcome again! Thank you for your kindness. All the best, Bigallo Staff.

Fantastic old building and nice to get away from the hustle of a loud city. Great views but you will have to organise transport to get there. They offer pasta and wine for €7, and though the portion sizes were a little to be desired it was a great opportunity to meet the others staying in the hostel. Also the staff leave the premises when they close for the night which may be important for some

Hi, thank you for having been with us! Sorry for pasta's portion, we always have some more for hungry guests :) Next time ask for a second shoot! Cheers from Bigallo Staff!

My experience at Ostello del Bigallo was priceless. I made some really good friends, it's just so easy to be friendly in such a place as this. I highly recommend joining in for pasta time; it's delicious and brings everyone together. Don't be daunted by the location, it is beautiful, and I guarantee you will get a ride up or down the hill if you stick out your thumb. The building may be old but everything you'd want to be new is new (bathroom, beds etc.) Thank you to the staff, all very kind.

Thank you, it's been a pleasure for us to welcome you! If you ever come back, you'll be welcome again! All the best from Bigallo Staff!

My favourite hostel so far in all my journey to Europe. Incredible atmosphere, friendly staff, wonderful pasta, beautiful view from the terrace, incredible garden... I really can't say enough good things about this place. I even asked to stay an extra night. It would be worth a trip to Italy just to come here.

Hello! Thanks a lot for writing and having liked our Hostel. I just can say " come back" - it would be our pleasure to welcome you again. The best greetings from the whole Bigallo Staff :)

Amazing environment for relaxing, getting out of cities, etc. You'll sleep well, and there's plenty of food in the morning. The coffee machine makes the best machine cappuccino I've ever had. If you want to go to the city, though, you are in for a hairy time...last bus leaves for the hostel at 930, so you need to get on a bus from Florence by 830 at the LATEST.Otherwise it's a 2x price taxi or a 5km walk. I was lucky; the staff picked me up twice and drove me. Can't count on that! Loved Bigallo!

Hello! Thanks for writing about us and that you loved Bigallo! Makes us happy to read . We know it can be hard to catch buses in time... In the morning our breakfast buffet is plenty and I agree with you that we have the best coffee machine! Best greetings from all of us - Bigallo Staff

I arrived later than the opening hours of reception, because of the buses were striking and the owner/receptionist actually came to pick me up in the bus stop, which was super nice. The hostel is very clean, perfect location if you want to spend a day in a busy Florence and evenings in a calm place. Beautiful surroundings, beautiful old building, basic but good breakfast, friendly staff and easy to get to Florence on a public transport. Would stay again anytime.

Hello! yes indeed unfortunately when there is a strike, it is difficult to get at our Hostel but we always try to help and find a solution. Reading that you enjoyed your stay with us makes us happy and we thank you for having choosen our Hostel. Always be welcome, anytime Best greetings from the whole Bigallo Staff

The Bigallo is incredibly beautiful. It's nestled far from the city, which can be inconvenient without a car & those weak of knees up the hill, but it's a former monastery, and you can't really find that beauty elsewhere for the price. The woman at the front desk was so wonderfully hospitable & kind.

Hello! It was just our pleasure to have you with us as our Guests! Many thanks for this wonderfully kind writing, makes us happy reading. Next time in Florence, just hope you'll be back. We all send you our best greetings - Bigallo Staff

Beautiful place. thing is the distance from town. It's about an hour, walking, waiting and the bus itself to get into town. There is no food to speak of in the area. They hold wedding that will go into the night and can be quite loud.

Hello! Nice to read that your Hostel is a beautiful place. As indicated, we are indeed out of the center, in the southern hills of Florence and you have to take 2 busses to get here. Every night we serve Pastatime and at about 15' minutes walk there is a local grocery where you also find tuscan specialities. Sorry for the music the evening of the wedding; we sometimes have events, concerts and weddings but at midnight music always finishes. Best greetings from all of us - Bigallo Staff

I absolutely loved this place because it was exactly what I was after away from the main city but still accessible. Beautiful historic building where you'll meet some lovely fellow travelers I'm sure. Also defiantly try the wine and dinner it was delicious. The sunsets from the balcony or garden look over Florence and are really worth it. Free breakfast also a nice. Thanks for the great stay!

We thank you for having being our guest! and of course very happy to read that you loved the Bigallo Hostel A big hug!

Beautiful place . Wish there were more signage on the frontage road

Hello! Thanks that you find our place beautiful and having chosen us for your stay, Being a historic and antique building, we cannot put some coloured or showy signs on the facade. At dark we have some lightsigns just above the principal entrance and indeed during the day if you do not have a good look it is possible just to pass by. Best greetings from the Bigallo Staff

A little out of the main city so a bit of a journey to get in and out of the city. Amazing hostel though, really good view of Florence, delicious dinner and really good wine. All the staff members were so helpful and lovely.

Hello! Yes indeed we are a little out of the city center and it takes you 40 minutes to get at the Hostel. But then it is a real tuscan experience. Thanks thanks a lot for having stayed with us and that you liked our place, our food, wine and the Bgallo staff, Our best greetings

This hostel is really unique and awesome in preserving this uniqueness. The old spital can really be seen and imagined in the great halls, staircases and corridors. The building also has a wonderful garden with a great view over the city where one can hang out. Diner portions are a bit small but it was good with tasty wine. Breakfast was also good. The staff is really nice and helpful and gives good advice. Only problem was the loud private party going on on a balcony right below the dormitory.

Hello! Thanks for writing and it makes us really happy to read you. Sorry that the party was a bit loud and that you could hear it in the dorm up the balcony. Indeed we had some private events, even if usually our events are public and music always finishes at latest at midnight. The whole Bigallo Staff sends you his best greetings and hope you can come back once.

This place was by far the best part of my visit to Florence. The history is astounding...it was built in the 1200s, which means that that lovely sunset view once contained an entirely different set of buildings, buildings where Dante would have lived as he was learning to write. The present of the building is just as beautiful, with an orchard full of tasty fruit that reappears for breakfast baked into cakes. The staff are friendly and enthusiastic about the history. Definitely worth the trek.

Hello Thanks for your nice writing! It was our pleasure to have you here with us... and just come back again! The Bigallo Staff sends you best greetings and hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday

Stayed for 2 nights, and the views of the countryside and downtown Florence are absolutely spectacular. Stayed in the 24 bed room, which was pretty novel and I enjoyed it, but the comments about old WC facilities are correct. Bring mosquito repellant. No AC, but heat wasn't really an issue. Definitely walk around and see the grounds and garden. If you're on foot, prepare for a walk uphill, but once you're there, you won't want to leave. Breakfast and pasta time were both good. Recommended.

Hello! Thanks for writing! We are happy to inform that yesterday we finally open our new bathrooms!! Really sorry that you still had the works in progress. Stille have a good summertime and whenever, just come back Best greetings from all of us Bigallo Staff