Other Side Hostel Reviews

Travessa 11 de Maio #16, Cidade Nova, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

It's a dirty place with a bad location. Wouldn't recommend. They advertise free parking but it doesn't exist.

I was not in town when this booking arrived... she did not stay, I cancelled the booking. Just to clarify, there IS free parking, a lot of it, safe, directly in front of the hostel. And the location is awesome, unless you are Paula and made your reservation without looking at the map and realizing you were booking a hostel in centro insead of next to the beach. We want travelers who want to explore brazilian culture.. this was not the place for Paula, and she blames us for her decision.

Booked for one night in this small hostel and ended up staying two weeks! Never come across such a chilled, helpful, informative owner/guide which made staying there more like couchsurfing. He is a fellow gringo who has lived in Rio for six years and literally knows all the best places to go every night of the week, and at weekends provides several different options to see and experience the best of rio . I would defo recommend this hostel!! Thanks for everything Brian!!

It´s a humble place, but with a cool manager, his knowledge about the city is admirable for an American. I recommend.

At first appeared a bit run down and grotty but is so cheap I didn't care! Plus staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Brian the owner who took us into Lapa and even after I left the hostel, was still offering to help me via emails. Perfect place for backpackers wanting to see rio city centre for a few nights.

really cool hostel, Rio was our first stop in south america and everyone made us feel very welcome, it is a small hostel, very homy feel, and everyone got along really well, which was great. the owner took on a few walks and saw some really cool stuff...bbq was great with an awsom street party in Lapa after wards. Would definatly recommend!

If you'd like to have a different experience from the other hostel.The Other Side is the right option for you. It made me feel like an unpretentious home sweet home. Next door to Sambodromo. 20 minutes by walk to Lapa steps. 10 Stops metro station to Copacabana beach.... Lovely owner Brian and his assistance Diana, They would gather the hostel residents to go out almost every night especially over the weekends. That's how you can learn the Brazilian culture. Really value every Real I paid.

Decent small hotel. Only stayed one night but the people who were there were really really nice. Good if you're in a budget.

The owner is an amazing guy, very helpful, the hostel is small and friendly and worth staying at. Be warned, for such a small hostel it couldhave been cleaner and have more bathrooms and toilets. One is not enough. Try it, you may like it. I liked it but didn't hate it.

It is about the people! Great staff! But cleanliness shouldnt be a issue for you. And please remove the plastic foil from the mattresses.

Hello, it will be great to separate bathroom and toilet, or/and add one more toilet. Or close with folding screens that one located under the stairs. The staff should be trained better, they know too few about neibourghood for the guys who work in the hostel. For sure we have get high prices because of the festival (Rock in Rio), it was sad coincidence for us (who didn't plan to deal with the festival). Caipirinha lessons and hospitality of the onwer also as the idea he has is TOTALLY GREAT

Geat time, very social hostel !

Got a really good welcome,was my first day on the trip so it couldn't have started better.I fell in love with Rio,the hostel,the atmosphere and the staff.In the day you can choose between toures or just get to know the city with other backpackers staying at hostel with good tips from the staff. In the night you will discover a side of Rio you normaly don't see,the real deal-in music,people,partys and energi. The fact that I decided to stay for one month instead of two days will explain it all.

• 15th Sep 2013
  • Sweden

Rio wouldn't have been the same if I'd stayed anywhere else. What makes the hostel is the staff, they organise something to do every night and show you parts of Rio you might never find otherwise as well as get you drunk on endless caipirinhas! There's a bar on the roof and as its a small hostel you get to know everyone who's staying there so it's very social and perfect for solo travelers or small groups.

Brian made a generous effort to help us experience real Brazil. He showed us the way to a samba club in the birthplace of samba, Lapa district. This was one of the highlights of my trip to Rio. Definitely recommend this hostel.

This hostel was excellent at introducing us to ario. Went toa local Samba school which was unbelievabley good. Friendly, welcoming, helpful and easy going. Would recomend to friends

Surprinsingly great experience ! Outside, before arriving you can feel a bit strange ! but after meeting the people and see what they can show you , it makes the perfect place to the people who wants to see real Rio and explore its reality !!! P.S. I'm brazilian from Sao Paulo , should be less tourist then the owners , but not !

• 13th Jul 2013

Most fun we´ve had at a hostel in south america! They take you on day trips and out to see the culture of Rio´s nightlife. The best of everything Rio is at the Other Side!

I've had a great time here. The staff is really friendly and has shown us around the area on several occasions. The hostel has modest accommodations, but, given the low price, it's understandable. Staying here has provided me with a much richer experience than I would've received, had I stayed in one of the areas that panders to travelers (e.g. Copacabana), as I've been able to get a glimpse of Rio as it truly is, for better and worse. I'll definitely be staying here when I come back to Rio.

• 9th Jul 2013

I'd have no hesitation staying here again. In all honesty, the sleeping quarters are cramped, there aren't enough facilities (one toilet/ shower for the whole hostel), it's fairly dirty and it's location lacks charm (unless it's Carnival and then it would be ground zero). On the otherhand, the staff are a blast to hang with, complaints are taken seriously and acted upon, I felt safe, but above all, you will get to see the real Rio away from the beaches and trendy bars. Try the Other Side its fun

There is small and there is tiny. For the amount of people they squeeze into the place, there is not enough room to hang out without sitting all over each other. And there is only one bathroom. For the size of the place, it should be easy to clean it in its entirety on a daily basis, but this does not happen. The staff are knowledgable and work hard to ensure that those staying have a good time. So if you can get past the size and lack of cleanliness, this place is actually pretty good.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels