Other Side Hostel Reviews

Travessa 11 de Maio #16, Cidade Nova, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Amazing hostel. People were pretty cool. Met some really good friends and had the chance to recommend them, some interest places to visit in Peru. Hostel is not so well located, but as soon as you walk in group and don't bother locals, nothing will happen. In general words, really good place to spend your trip at.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • Peru

Brian, you are the best! I really liked going to the Samba school & Lapa Street Party on Friday nights with the Hostel peeps. The atmosphere of the Other Side Hostel is outstanding and the location so close to a Metro station is convenient. Thank you for the many barbeques Brian and his staff has set up during the US Worldcup matches. Thanks again Brian, Candy, etc for making my stay an unforgetable experience during my 11 days in Rio. I might be back in 2 years for the Olympics. Patrick Kruegel

I had a brilliant time staying at Otherside hostel. I had stayed here during carnival and the the staff were brilliant. They would take us all out to the local bloco parties and give us history to everything involved and at all times tried to do the best for us. Staying at otherside is like getting to stay with one of your mates in Rio and getting to feel like a local.

• 28th Feb 2014

Our stay at the Other Side Hostel was horrendous. When we arrived there was no one at reception, so one guy in the rooms told us where he thought our beds were (the only empty ones left really). The room was extremely hot and packed (6 beds in such a small room, with the top beds about 2m high and not looking very stable). The next morning, we found 4 guys sleeping on the floor at reception, which were actually the owner and his friends! Would not recommend this place AT ALL.

We recommend this hostel to anyone who is a tight budget in expensive Rio. It was next to the Sambodromo where samba schools are rehearsing - a big plus! The staff are really cool, they organise group outings which we enjoyed a lot- cheap caipirinhas before going! Close to metro and bus stops, so getting around was not a problem. Just be mindful that the price is reflected in the facilities, so do not expect big rooms and air conditioning, there are fans but it did get pretty hot in the rooms.

• 30th Jan 2014
  • Bolivia

The American guy who owned the hostel was really nice, friendly and welcoming. It was a little tricky to find as no taxi drivers knew the street, but it is literally right beside the sambodromo, it didnt look too safe but the owner reasured me its a ok neighbourhood. Cheap and cheerful with a nice vibe, free caipirinha when arriving!

Everything was perfect! They were very attentive and cared a lot about guests. The only problem was it was too hot to take a good sleep; hotter inside the rooms than outside.

The owner is by far the best thing about the place. Brian is super helpful and proactive in making sure we had a good time. He is extremely knowledgeable. The downside was the space and cleanliness. It would not have been hard to keep the place a little cleaner in the kitchen and bathroom. The bedrooms were quite hot even with the fans. One bathroom for the whole place.

It's a dirty place with a bad location. Wouldn't recommend. They advertise free parking but it doesn't exist.

I was not in town when this booking arrived... she did not stay, I cancelled the booking. Just to clarify, there IS free parking, a lot of it, safe, directly in front of the hostel. And the location is awesome, unless you are Paula and made your reservation without looking at the map and realizing you were booking a hostel in centro insead of next to the beach. We want travelers who want to explore brazilian culture.. this was not the place for Paula, and she blames us for her decision.

Booked for one night in this small hostel and ended up staying two weeks! Never come across such a chilled, helpful, informative owner/guide which made staying there more like couchsurfing. He is a fellow gringo who has lived in Rio for six years and literally knows all the best places to go every night of the week, and at weekends provides several different options to see and experience the best of rio . I would defo recommend this hostel!! Thanks for everything Brian!!

It´s a humble place, but with a cool manager, his knowledge about the city is admirable for an American. I recommend.

At first appeared a bit run down and grotty but is so cheap I didn't care! Plus staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Brian the owner who took us into Lapa and even after I left the hostel, was still offering to help me via emails. Perfect place for backpackers wanting to see rio city centre for a few nights.

really cool hostel, Rio was our first stop in south america and everyone made us feel very welcome, it is a small hostel, very homy feel, and everyone got along really well, which was great. the owner took on a few walks and saw some really cool stuff...bbq was great with an awsom street party in Lapa after wards. Would definatly recommend!

If you'd like to have a different experience from the other hostel.The Other Side is the right option for you. It made me feel like an unpretentious home sweet home. Next door to Sambodromo. 20 minutes by walk to Lapa steps. 10 Stops metro station to Copacabana beach.... Lovely owner Brian and his assistance Diana, They would gather the hostel residents to go out almost every night especially over the weekends. That's how you can learn the Brazilian culture. Really value every Real I paid.

Decent small hotel. Only stayed one night but the people who were there were really really nice. Good if you're in a budget.

The owner is an amazing guy, very helpful, the hostel is small and friendly and worth staying at. Be warned, for such a small hostel it couldhave been cleaner and have more bathrooms and toilets. One is not enough. Try it, you may like it. I liked it but didn't hate it.

It is about the people! Great staff! But cleanliness shouldnt be a issue for you. And please remove the plastic foil from the mattresses.

Hello, it will be great to separate bathroom and toilet, or/and add one more toilet. Or close with folding screens that one located under the stairs. The staff should be trained better, they know too few about neibourghood for the guys who work in the hostel. For sure we have get high prices because of the festival (Rock in Rio), it was sad coincidence for us (who didn't plan to deal with the festival). Caipirinha lessons and hospitality of the onwer also as the idea he has is TOTALLY GREAT

Geat time, very social hostel !

Got a really good welcome,was my first day on the trip so it couldn't have started better.I fell in love with Rio,the hostel,the atmosphere and the staff.In the day you can choose between toures or just get to know the city with other backpackers staying at hostel with good tips from the staff. In the night you will discover a side of Rio you normaly don't see,the real deal-in music,people,partys and energi. The fact that I decided to stay for one month instead of two days will explain it all.

• 15th Sep 2013