Ottawa Backpackers Inn Reviews

203 York Street, Ottawa, Canada

Excellent. One of the better hostels I have stayed at. Very friendly vibe. Porch parties were a great way of meeting the other travellers.

A great friendly hostel, everything a hostel should be. The bbq was a great way to meet everyone and a good meal for cheap! The room was fine, with fans when hot. Great big fridge. Plenty of showers for all. Really close to all the attractions in a quiet area of town near to a supermarket too. Lovely friendly staff too.

• 9th Aug 2015

The facilities were good but the smell in the room was almost intolerable. Being in a separate building from the main hostel left us isolated and without atmosphere. The security was poor, the door to the outside decking was just a latch and was frequently left open by other more long term residents. Our dorm was also frequently left unlocked as could only be locked from the inside. The location was good, close to main attractions but the area did not feel particularly safe.

The place is awesome.. Staff r friendly. Special thnx to Sasha, orel(the french dude) Branden from Winnipeg and the German and Japanese girls. Great location.. And clean place..

Nice hostel, clean dorms. Beds a little wobbly especially on the top bunk

Staff were very unhelpful, and they didn't know much about the town, this hostel felt like a frat house and was not very welcoming, felt clique-y. The kitchen was disorganised but it was clean, although the fans in the dorm rooms are dangerously close to the bunks. Bathrooms are fine, but watering down the hand soap is a bit much. I will say this though, the location is excellent (near Byward markets)...

Brilliant atmosphere, great facilities, plenty of common space and loads of socialising, and really helpful staff! A few points knocked off for security because of a stolen pair of shoes, but really that's just bad luck. This was my favourite hostel during my three weeks in Canada!

A regular hostel, nothing special about it, but the location is great.

Hi, I cann't do this review because I had to cancell my trip to Ottawa :(

• 19th Jun 2015
  • Poland

I didn't appreciate being spoken to in a condescending way by the owner, the first night I was there. The one night I spent away, another guest rummaged through my belongings that weren't locked up. I know that's a chance we have to take when leaving anything behind when leaving the hostel, even for a brief period, but I still felt violated. But I did enjoy meeting people from all over the world, that was the best part!

• 16th Jun 2015

The only good thing about this hostel is that its basement toilet/shower room is quite clean. Only Playtypus Hostel in Colombia where I found a hostel with the same false reputation that was dirtier and scuzzier. They should at least provide newer and cleaner bedspread and bed linens. The room's rate is not that cheap either. The whole place needs to be renovated.

Staff is very cliquey, and not very welcoming.

• 11th Jun 2015

I much enjoyed my most recent stay here. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and it was very easy to meet new people. The hostel also has a stellar location in the Byward Market. I would certainly recommend it.

Staff were friendly overall and the location was great but the rooms and washrooms were filthy. Definitely wouldn't stay there again.

• 29th May 2015

Hostel is in a pretty good location, right near a bunch of restaurants, supermarket and the all important bottle-o.

Good hostel with a great atmosphere! The only bad thing I can think of, is that it can get really warm in the dorms. Apart from that it was really good (great location, all the facilities you need).

A bit grungy, but it definitely has a certain charm and "lived-in" appeal. The staff were helpful, though a bit absent occasionally. The atmosphere was great. Plenty of people to hang out with and get to know throughout my stay. My only complaint about that was that occasionally it did feel a bit like a hang-out for the staff and the staff's friends. While not a big deal it did come across as a bit unwelcoming to someone new in a big city.

• 25th May 2015

Very chilled out hostel.

The location is good to visit the most famous places. but it is a little far to bus terminal station on foot.