Our House Backpackers Reviews

33 Gilbert Place, Adelaide, Australia

Bring earplugs (it's pretty noisy) and don't stress about the little things. It's not the cleanest, but the location is excellent, it's got lockers for everyone, the beds are pretty good, and it's got a big kitchen with free breakfast and wifi works in most areas. The lady who checked me in was really accommodating, but some of the other staff aren't as receptive.

Location was amazing. Other than that, don't think 25$ are a reasonable rate for a dorm of 16. Boys toilet was disgusting. Staff was nice. Not enough crockery!

This place has the hardest beds I have ever slept on. If you like sleeping on the floor then you'll enjoy it here. Also saw staff sleeping on the sofas in the common rooms early in the mornings and then working later that day. You do get free Wi-Fi (albeit very slow Wi-Fi) and three free lockers but that's about the only positive.

• 1st Mar 2015

It was a nice hostel, very good value for money. However, sometimes the kitchen was very dirty. Also weird that there were random people sleeping on the couch at night. Staff didn't know a lot. I asked for the airport bus and they didn't know where it left and how I'd get a ticket which was a bit strange. It is very safe and rooms are nice!

Free breakfast was very nice and the staff were very friendly and welcoming. Free wifi but wasn't great connection. Very good location to centre of adelaide.

• 26th Feb 2015

Pretty good hostel. To bad for the really hard beds and the very, very bad WiFi.

Fantastic location in CBD. I met a lot of cool travelers, had a good time. The wifi can be slow and is a concern. And there is not much quite space as the TVs are usually always on. Despite that, i would still highly recommend it.

Toilets and showers are very bad. I think when they get some cleaning girls this hostel will be super !

Location was great in the center of Adelaide but wouldn't stay there again. Man at the front desk was constantly grumpy. Didn't explain much upon checking in. Beds were rock hard.... It was basically like sleeping on a concrete slab. There were also a few long term residence who were a bit weird. Overall not a great hostel experience.

Very pleasant stay. The whole hostel was surprisingly clean despite the fact that I never at any point saw anyone cleaning. Has all the facilities you could need though the wifi is terribly slow. Great value for money seeing how nice this place is and it being with the cheaper hostels in town. The location is also just fantastic, right in the middle of the center and the bus from the airport practically stops right outside the door!

Loved staying at Our House, it was a great atmosphere and the location couldn't be better. I actually ended up extending and staying a whole week rather than the original plan of a few days. Super environment, the long termers aren't really there that long (like a month or less) so everyone is really social and not clique-y. The staff is very nice and laid back, it was hard to leave! If I ever go back I'll def stay there again.

I refuse to stay any were else in adelaide, amazing staff friendly and fun vibe and well respectful folks, a highly recommend place with great people, a big shout out to the Sydney harbor crew and Frank' redi, johno, kim and simon! See yas all again soon! ;)

• 11th Dec 2014

Good hostel, good price. Clean bathroom and sheets. The doorms are nice and quiet. The only bad thing is the matresses, they're hard as rock!! Other than that it's a great place to stay.

I am baffled why this gets such a low overall score. I was impressed enough to extend with an extra night. I could complain about something that could need improvement, but the biggest mistake is not to come to this hostel but to come to Adelaide instead. What a sterile, soulless city with 0 landmarks for sight seeing. Needless to say I did spend more time in the hostel than the city itself. Staff was truly very helpful and nice, complete opposite of what is written in other reviews.

The location of this hostel is great, the rooms/bathrooms are basic but fine and it's clean but the beds were so rock hard that I couldn't sleep and there was a lot of noise coming from outside. We unfortunately cut our stay short and moved to a hotel.

The hostel was average overall and ok for a few days stay. However, one day a guy unlocked the door which was odd because it was a girls only room. Turned out he was staying in the room next door but his key opened our door too..didn't exactly make me or the other girls feel safe! Also, it was very hot when we were staying there and management told us we weren't allowed to have air con on all the time because they wanted to save money...it was boiling!!!

• 8th Feb 2014
  • Wales

Staff was very helpful and polite

• 31st Jan 2014

Great bar and staff

• 21st Jan 2014

Nice hostel and nice staff! 2 min to the city and the Pub/Bar street, perfect! Problem is that they don't clean every day the toilets. Sometimes only every 3-4 days...

Quite unfriendly staff, unwashed sheets, half the rooms in the photos didn't seem To actually exist, I was in a 10 person room with only one other girl, not v fun. But good location and clean showers.

• 7th Jan 2014