Oxford Backpackers Hostel Reviews

9A Hythe Bridge Street, Oxford, England

Great place to stay! I would recommend this hostel to everyone. The staff really made my stay, Kat, Katie, Jeremy and Natalie. The hostel has a very relaxed, homely atmosphere, I would definitely stay here again

• 11th Dec 2014

The staff has been extremely helpful and friendly, esp Kat!

Staff not very friendly and sometimes even annoying. But the location was very good and the other travellers I met where nice! It's also nice that you can bring guests in the common area!

Well , Well . Well That´s all i can Say . Thanx for this moment . See you soon Backpackers .

• 17th Nov 2014

Excellent staff

• 12th Nov 2014
  • Portugal

The rooms were small and stuffy and the bathroom facilities were a bit cramped for so many guests, and the common area could do with a bit of a make over. The staff were lovely though, although we did have one very bad incident (we were staying in the same room as some of the staff). Several staff members came home very drunk and one of them even had carried out of the room by two of her colleagues to the bathroom - an absolute NO-GO and very disruptive to the sleep we desperately needed!

The hostel staff was unfriendly at reception and when I had trouble with wifi told me that it "sometimes doesn't work". Some of the hostel staff were actually staying in some of the beds in my room and we the rudest. They came in late, drunk, were super loud, and when asked to quiet down they laughed at me. I would never never never ever stay at this hostel again. Showers were gross, bathrooms dirty, common room was dirty as well. Plain awful

• 6th Nov 2014

The receptionist was so rude and dismissive I knew immediately it would be a disaster and my instincts proved right. Do yourself a favour and stay in an bed and breakfast as this is crummy , dirty and flithy

• 6th Nov 2014

Never mind that the rooms are cramped and not very clean, never mind that there a morbid stench all over the place, what makes this hostel awful is the unexpected and gratuitous rudeness of staff (with one positive exception being Nacho the Spanish receptionist). At times there seem to be more staff than guest, some of them are proper vicious. I just wonder how desperate travellers need to be for this establishment to be still in business.

Nice staff and very good location! Will recommend to friends :) Cheers for a good stay on my birthday weekend!

• 1st Nov 2014
  • Denmark

First of all, the location is excellent. But: Rooms are very crowded and tiny, not enough space for suitcases, filty bed linen etc. Bathrooms very quite dirty, one sink was broken in the girls' bathroom. Staff was a bit grumpy. No Wi-Fi in the dorms, extra fees when you want to pay by card (WTF?). Breakfast very basic - first come, first serve! If you don't get up early, you'll enjoy some toast with butter, that's it. Wouldn't stay here again!

Stayed here for about a week and had a good time. Friendly staff and comfortable beds. I assumed they would have laundry facilities but when I arrived I learnt that their washers for guests were not working. Also, since it was Halloween around that time, there was a group of noisy people standing outside the dorms and screaming. The hosts did not manage this even though few people complained. But otherwise, really good place - I recommend!

• 27th Oct 2014
  • India

The staff here were so incredibly helpful and very friendly. They did everything possible to help with a problem and made my stay here that much more enjoyable. It's a very sociable hostel and really close to everything you'd want to see in oxford. I'd definitely reccomend this hostel for solo travelers as it's excellent for meeting similar travelers and joining in on the different activities the hostel puts on ie. pub crawls etc.

Had a fantastic time! It's got a very warm and friendly atmosphere, which turns into a pretty decent party later on. The staff were really friendly and sorted out free club entry for everyone, and during the day they were very knowledgeable about what to see in Oxford and how to do it cheaply. There's also a big kitchen, fantastic showers and comfy beds. I was staying in the 18-bed, which was a bit crowded, but ok for a short stay. There are other, less crowded rooms too - one of which I saw ;)

• 19th Oct 2014

Friendly staff and nice sized common area, great location. No WiFi in the rooms though.Would recommend the free walking tour offered by Oxford University for those interested in Harry Potter - you do have to pay £1 entry to a room but you do get to go to sights inside the uni that the other free tours & paid tours don't

Better glazing on roadside windows to block out terrible noise, especially as the rooms get very hot and sticky so the windows/AC are needed. Pitiful breakfast.

• 18th Oct 2014

Good place, excellent location, gentle staff, good beakfast, everything ok.

• 17th Oct 2014

rooms were extremely cold and not very clean toilet was dirty breakfast was no real breakfast at all, toaster was broken, so it was just cold soft bread with butter and if you were lucky, some nutella. would not stay there again.

I thought the hostel was in a prim location, right in the center of Oxford. The breakfast was good, and the staff was helpful and really friendly, the place itself could use a touch up, but besides that it was what you could expect out of a Hostel in the U.K. they have lockers for your bags, and free WiFi, so it was a plus to have that as well.

• 13th Oct 2014

If you pay by card, you have to pay extra fees. Heating not on, although it was a bit cold.We asked the staff and they said "yes yes". And then it was NO NO because no one turned it on. When we went to our room, the floor was filthy and one bed wasn't ready. There were also a suitcase and towels that someone left there. They put music on at 7am on a Sunday. Very annoying. You can listen to it from the rooms. Positive point: hairdryer available in the bathrooms.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6