Oxford Backpackers Hostel Reviews

9A Hythe Bridge Street, Oxford, England

Does what it says on the tin. Staff were brilliant and other residents were very friendly.

• 21st Nov 2015

Thank you for the comments. I will let the team know you had an enjoyable experience, and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

I went with no expectations and found the facilities to be clean and well maintained, but I did have to wait 10 minutes before someone came to reception to check me in. I do not think it is unusual to expect to be checked in, or at least acknowledged by staff walking passed, within a few minutes of arrival.

• 20th Nov 2015

Thank you for the comments. We are glad to hear you found the facilities to be up to standard. I am sorry to hear you had to wait to check in, i will address the issue raised with the team and we look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Social hostel but not at all clean!!

Thank you for your comment. I am sorry to hear the facilities were not up to standard. I will be addressing the issues raised with the team, and we will work on this and rectify any issues. We look forward to having you visit us in the future, and will have evrything up to a greater stanard.

Good location, simple but food breakfast, but the fact that you cant bring alcohol in is a great downside to this place. Not written any where until you Check in. Bar staff is not knowledgeable and asked for different price for a same product on the same night. Plus one of the housekeeping staff was really rude to us.

Thank you for your comments. Unforunately as we have a licensed bar on site, guests are not allowed to drink their own alcohol when open. Once it is closed you are more than welcome to though. I am sorry to hear about the housekeeping staff, and will bring this up with them in our meetings. We look forward to having you stay with us the future.

Great atmosphere, nice layout. Good silence policy near the rooms after 10:30 that every one stuck to. Really nice staff, cheap booze, decent breakfast. Only thing is they didn't have any lockers available unless you had your own padlock. I guess no one's perfect! I'd definitely stay again

• 3rd Nov 2015

Thank you for the comment. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to having you in the future.

I booked one night only and I am glad I did. The hostel seems fun, but it is really dirty, my room smelled very bad and the beds are creaky and move a lot when the person on the upper bed moves.

I have stayed in a lot of hostels and I am not a fussy person but this is probably one of the worst I have stayed at (especially for the price!). Whilst it had a social vibe, the rooms were incredibly cramped and smelly (with no fresh air) and the showers/toilets were unclean. I was also surprised that guests have to pay to store their luggage after check out (I have never seen this from a hostel before). That said, there aren't a lot of cheaper options in Oxford and the location is good.

Friendly staff. Good vibe. Cheap drinks in hostel common room mean people hang out there. Pancakes with breakfast!

Thank you for your comments. It is always very nice to hear from our guests, regardless if the comment is positive or negative. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Many thanks.

Very noisy,. The wall are really thin and nobody seems to care about the 10pm-silence. Not really clean and the showers were really disgusting. The only good point: close to the center, which isn't really hard in a small town like Oxford.

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We try to enforce a quiet in the hallway policy after 22h30, as there are guests who will want to sleep early, All guests are made aware of this when they check in, and are asked to keep quiet and respect the other guests when they do go to the rooms. I have taken the comments on board and will address the issues raised with the staff. We hope to see you in the future.

bunk beds wobbly-- was kept awake by movements of the person above since the whole bed would move whenever she moved slightly. showers felt dirty underfoot mainly because the flooring is old and needs replacing and the single drain and wet room style in there meant that other people's shower water would wash into my cubicle when showering, which I didn't like. unlike the other backpackers around the corner, they charge for use of a card for payments and common areas felt dirty but prob just old.

• 16th Oct 2015

Thank you for your comments. I have passed this on to our maintenance team, and are looking to see why your bed was wobbly. They are new bunk beds, and will have some movement as such, but will work on stabilising them more. We do have plans to renovate the flooring on the shower areas in the winter, as this is a lot slower and are able to do the work without interefering with guests. We look forward to hearing from you in the future.

nope. just don't. loud, cramped, not that clean. its like coachella, you need to be partying to survive at this place. its a shame there aren't too many choices in oxford, very cool town and lots to see/do.

Thank you for your comment. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are very conscious of all of our guests, and ensure there is a clear seperation with areas, for guests who want to relax and wind down after a long day. Alternatively if someone does want to have a drink, there is a bar area in the common room where you can meet like minded people. I have passed on comments to our house keeping team, and working on the issues pointed out. We hope to see you soon.

Nice place, close to train/ bus stations and everything else in city! Good staff. Nice chill area/ dining area. Small ish kitchen, but still good. Rooms a little cramped, but only downside. Would stay here again!

We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay at the hostel. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future. Should you need any ideas on what to see, please feel free to ask us and we will be happy to show you the best things Oxford has to offer.

Charming, collegial, competent and comfortable place. No problems. No complaints. Many plaudits.

Thank you for your review. I will pass the positive comments on to the team, and am sure they will enjoy hearing the feedback. We hope to see you in the future.

I have been there for a week and a half and has been a great experience. The hostel is very close to the bus and train station, the staff members were friendly and helpful, they offer a good breakfast included in the price and they got a nice common area with a bar to have cheap drinks and good music for meeting people from all over the world... Thank you guys for making me enjoy my stay i hope to come back soon.

• 8th Oct 2015
  • Spain

There was one member of the staff, usually in reception, who wasn't very nice and looked unhappy about his job.

Hello, and thank you for your comment. I am not sure who you are referring to, but we have addressed the team with the review, and do encourage a happy and stimulating work environment. Unfortunately we all are human, and sometimes we are prone to a bad day, and understand that we need to focus on the guests, and their stay at the hostel.

The hostel's location is amazing, so near to downtown. The rooms were adequate for the money, although did have a bit of a musty smell. Beds were comfortable and the living quarters were quiet at night. The common area was very nice and made for an easy bonding experience with fellow backpackers. Only thing I would say would be that there are not enough bathrooms for the amount of people in the hostel.

Thank you for your comment. We have taken this on board, and have ensured all rooms are vetilated by keeping the windows open during the day for a period of time. Unfortun\tely when some guests check in, they do tend to close the windows. This is something we will monitor. As we are an older Hostel, space can be limited, but we do have adequate facilities for all of our guests. We hope to see you again in the future.

A bit noisy on weekends from the heavy bass and music in the common room/bar.

• 3rd Oct 2015

Thank you for your comment.. We have a bar in the common area open until 00:00 am, just in case you are back with us in the future and you feel the music very loud just feel free to come to se us at reception we will be more than happy to turn the music down.

The men's toilet always smelled bad

Hello, Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your comment. We have worked on the smell in the bathroom, and have worked with the house keeping team to ensure the bathrooms smell user friendly. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Nice accommodation, but in all areas too crowded: The dorms were very full and very small, the kitchen was small with the sinks almost always being full with dirty dishes and the fridge for guests was not big enough for all the items stored in it. Also the common room was a bit too small. Atmosphere was great though :-) So all in all: Was good for two nights, but I personally wouldn't like to stay for longer periods.

• 1st Oct 2015

Thank you for the comments. Unfortunately as we are in an old building space can be limited. We do try our best to create as much space for our guests in all areas to ensure they enjoy their stay with us. We ensure cleanliness is maintained throughout the hostel, but also operate on a policy that guests clean up after themselves, and in peak times this can be challenging. We hope to see you in the future.

Lockers where all used during my entire stay (5 days), so i had to carry my laptop and passport with me into town each day. Showers were dirty. There were often "other than expected" people staying in the hostel; i expected backpackers,students, or teenagers in the hostel, i did not expect to see homeless like people and 65 year olds. Which is allright offcourse, but the name backpackers hostel is kind of misleading. I found the price way too expensive compared to other hostels i have stayed!!

Hello Charlotte, Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately we were really very busy at that time, but we have spoken with our employers about this and we will do our best for having more lockers.