Oxford Backpackers Hostel Reviews

9A Hythe Bridge Street, Oxford, England

The location is perfect but I didn't like the feel of the hostel. I only stayed one night so it doesn't really matter, but it kind of felt grungy to me and the staff weren't all that welcoming. Still, it's a decent place to sleep.

Great location, fantastic faci.ities. Kitchen much appreciated. Easy to meet people. Staff are friendly and approachable, Highly recommended.

Location was good, just a short walk to the train station and city centre. We stayed in an 18 bed dorm, and there was actually a reasonable amount of space in the room. There was little ventilation however, making the smell unbearable in the morning (may be due to the fact that 14 of the guests were male). The facilities were clean, but there weren't enough showers for the amount of people in the hostel. Overall, not bad for a one night stay, but probably wouldn't recommend any longer.

- staff very friendly - service and price balanced

pool should be free and fridge needs to be bigger but met lots of nice people :)

• 6th Aug 2014

Great staff, great kitchen, great lounge area. Fantastic friendly atmosphere

Probably this was the best hostel, I've ever been.

Staff was nice but could be better... It was a bit disappointing to know that I would not be able to use the locker nor have the breakfast as I need to leave the hostel before 8am. Good and funny wifi password though it never worked on my phone. It is really noisy at night with all people from the street going clubbing, playing musics plus sounds from traffic. Location is good and very close to the coach station.

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • Hong Kong

Staff were awesome! They really made the whole stay worthwhile, and provided the atmosphere you expect at a backpackers.

Decent place to stay.

• 29th Jul 2014

The staff, although friendly, were at times a bit unprofessional. The quality of the rooms and facilities was ok but not great which made me feel that it should have been a little cheaper. Overall, it was just fine.

• 25th Jul 2014

We didn't have the best stay in Oxford, although we were only there for one night. Pros: staff were friendly and the location is quite good. Cons: The rooms aren't very clean (clean bedding though), are very very loud and stuffy. The breakfast was very poor, we ended up eating out instead and the bathroom facilities weren't too good ( a little bit messy, run down, poorly maintained and only 3 female showers= long wait). Overall, we weren't too pleased and were happy we only stayed one night.

Good atmosphere, big mix of ages but mostly young people. Very hot and poor ventilation in the rooms and common area.

Can’t recommend this hostel: i) Note that they NEVER give you a receipt when you pay (this is not by accident - if you ask for it they don’t have any receipts. of anything.) ii) The staff is clearly overwhelmed and disorganized. For example, during my stay they had to close the checkin TWICE because they were missing (a lot of!) money. In short, their organization is a disaster. ii) They charged me on my credit card for a night I had canceled well in advance (more than 48h before) in person.

Verá good atmosphere, great localization! I just didn't Like that the toiltes weren't very clean, there were just one female bathroom for the whole hostel and the rooms didn't have individuals lockers.

• 21st Jul 2014

in general hostel was better than in London)

Very nice place, near the city center. Everything is reachable by walking. Clean, the showers are good. The breakfast is a bit of a chaos, there's not much place to sit and you are supposed to wash your own dishes, but it looks like not everyone knows how to wash their own dishes, so everytime I'd use sth I had to wash again. But very good in an overall! I'd stay there again.

It was hot everywhere in this hostel, and the circulation was not good. They also cram people into rooms but don't have the discount price to go with it. At least our bunk beds were only 2 high. That being said, it does check the basic boxes of cleanliness and security, and they serve alcohol in the common room. Included breakfast was toast and jam, but it was included. Not as nice as hostels I've seen in other countries, but this seems to be about what you get in a popular place in England.

Fairly good hostel, the 6 bed dorm was was very small, but I only stayed 1 night. Good location close to the bus station and walkable distance to everything in Oxford.

Location was great, close to the bus station. The staff was very accommodating for our late arrival and early check out. However, our room was extremely small for five bunk beds. Definitely not enough room, and the lockers are very small, only big enough for a small bag or purse.

• 15th Jul 2014