Oxford Backpackers Hostel Reviews

9A Hythe Bridge Street, Oxford, England

This place is nice for a budget accommodation . However I wish the rooms are bit more cleaner. The staffs are helpful and sensible .

Thank you for your comment. I will pass this on to the hoouse keeping team, and we will address the issues mentioned. We look forward to having you stay in the future.

Like staying at home

If i was an eighteen year old guy, wanting to experience the nightlife of oxford and crash at 4am in my dorm, i would love this hostel. For anyone else, i would say STAY AWAY. Very noisy in the passage. The first night I stayed I got very little sleep as people were talking in the passage at all hours of the night and the walls were paper thin. Very little room for cooking or keeping food in the kitchen. I think the two tea towels that were there were not changed the three days I stayed.

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear you had a less than enjoyable stay at the hostel. As we had a large group of international travellers staying with us, this did test the limits of the hostel and all staff. We ensure the hostel was cleaned and maintained to a satisfactory state, but as you can imagine, this was tested with large groups. We also ask each guest to clean up after themselves, and try to maintain a level of cleanliness.

The staff simply do not have any respect for their guests at all. They have no regard for their guests' safety, comfort, security, hygiene or overall experience. It's a reprehensible cesspit. And what is so offensive is that no one bothers to do anything about it. The staff simply do not give a flying expletive about anything except doing as little work as possible and having as much irresponsible fun as the party-orientated guests. Filthy, nauseating, atrocious. Do not risk it.

• 21st Sep 2015

We are sorry to hear your comments. It is unfortunate you felt the need to reply in this manner, due to a small misunderstanding at the reception. We take pride in offerring all our guests an enjoyable experience at the hostel. If unfortunately you did not enjoy the ambience of the hostel, maybe you will be more suited to hotels in the future. We try our best to offer great value with cheap, budget accommodation for fellow travellers.

Staff were helpful, I was able to check in early, location great near the railway station but quite noisy.

• 12th Sep 2015
  • Wales

Thank you for the comments. We are sorry to hear you found the hostel noisy. We do enforce a quiet policy in the hallways, next to the dorm rooms, as we are aware there are guests who will sleep earlier. We do ask all guests to be respectful of this policy, and they are made aware of this when checking in. We will monitor this more regularly. We hope to see you in the future.

Worst place that I've ever stayed. Left my bag on the "safe" storage room, which only the staff has access to it and I lost four hundred pounds. If was not just for that, I've made my checkout and cancel all future bookings of it, but they still charged me for it. Terrible

• 11th Sep 2015

Only one bathroom for each gender which closes for quite a while at 10:30. Male bathroom is always wet and sweaty. Room was hot and sweaty. Common area is a cramped mess. No power at some beds. I could go on... Overall, a decidedly below average hostel.

Hello, thank you for your comment. As we inform on the bathrooms doors, we need to close them at 10:30am for the daily cleaning; we are also working to improve the ventilation of the rooms, bathrooms and the general cleanliness. Thank you for giving us your oppinion and we look forward to have you in the future.

The Bed was a bit loud, but the kitchen was nice, and there where always people in the common room to talk and meet people from other countries.

Hello, Thank you for your comment. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to have you in the future.

Great hostel, great people and incredibly professional staff, one of the female members of staff was particularly welcoming.

• 4th Sep 2015

Hello, Thank you for the comment. We are very proud to hear that you enjoyed with us and we hope you come back soon.

I didn´t feel very comfortable. The entrance was filled constantly with a unlikely smell and the publicspaces were very sticky and dirty. Bed was ok and it was quiet.

Hello, thank you for your comment. We are always trying to improve and to have the hostel as clean as posible, we appreciate your opinion and we look forward to have you in the future

Worst hostels I've ever stayed in. Second day, I was locked out of the hostel the entire night because there was no one to let me in when I came back at night. Then, every single item in each of the lockers in the room where I was staying was stolen (the locks themselves were cut), and guests lost not only all of their money but their passports and all identification documents as well. The staff did not care. Then, I began vomiting violently because of how unclean much of the hostel is, and...

The hostel has one main washroom/shower for guys and one for girls and a 1 person bathroom it's not enough for the amount of people and the washrooms get cleaned in the mornings and your not allowed in them. A few of the staff were nice but the rest were really rude. There was a crazy guy yelling and screaming at night making it awkward for everyone they called the police witch kicked him out then he came back and pulled a knife and my 5 pound deposit they gave me was fake and would not refund.

Wonderful place. The staff is very friendly, great position in the city (about 3 minutes for the downtown) and great cleanness.

• 29th Aug 2015

The hostel was fantastic, friendly warm and always clean.

• 28th Aug 2015

+ Good location, close to the bus station. + The receptionist Joshua was great. He helped us a lot during our stay. + Kitchen, Wi-Fi, shower, our 4-men room, were all alright. - The other receptionist (not Joshua) seemed to be drugged all the time. He was very rude at times and didn't even give us a map of the city.

Good place, some small issues: Internet was very poor and patchy even in the common room. Staff were sometimes lazy and there was often no one at the desk to let someone into the building. Staff should also wear some sort of id or shirt so guests can know who is on duty and who staff actually are!

Clean beds and fairly clean bathroom. Our room was a bit crowded and so were the hallway and livingroom.

Really great place with an amazing sense of community! Very friendly staff, fine beds, and an amazing value and location.

• 15th Aug 2015

The only good thing about this hostel is the location. Cramped overpriced dorms with no ventilation. Ridiculous door code system which makes loud noise everytime a guest attempts to gain access to the room. Run down decor,very scruffy looks like it hasn't been renovated since the 1960's (or hovered). there aren't many alternative hostels in Oxford so demand outstrips supply in peak season and resorting to a few nights here may be your only option if traveling on tight budget.

• 8th Aug 2015

Very homey feeling with friendly people.

• 7th Aug 2015