Oxford Backpackers Hostel Reviews

9A Hythe Bridge Street, Oxford, England

Friendly staff and nice sized common area, great location. No WiFi in the rooms though.Would recommend the free walking tour offered by Oxford University for those interested in Harry Potter - you do have to pay £1 entry to a room but you do get to go to sights inside the uni that the other free tours & paid tours don't

Better glazing on roadside windows to block out terrible noise, especially as the rooms get very hot and sticky so the windows/AC are needed. Pitiful breakfast.

• 18th Oct 2014

Good place, excellent location, gentle staff, good beakfast, everything ok.

• 17th Oct 2014

rooms were extremely cold and not very clean toilet was dirty breakfast was no real breakfast at all, toaster was broken, so it was just cold soft bread with butter and if you were lucky, some nutella. would not stay there again.

I thought the hostel was in a prim location, right in the center of Oxford. The breakfast was good, and the staff was helpful and really friendly, the place itself could use a touch up, but besides that it was what you could expect out of a Hostel in the U.K. they have lockers for your bags, and free WiFi, so it was a plus to have that as well.

• 13th Oct 2014

If you pay by card, you have to pay extra fees. Heating not on, although it was a bit cold.We asked the staff and they said "yes yes". And then it was NO NO because no one turned it on. When we went to our room, the floor was filthy and one bed wasn't ready. There were also a suitcase and towels that someone left there. They put music on at 7am on a Sunday. Very annoying. You can listen to it from the rooms. Positive point: hairdryer available in the bathrooms.

The kitchen opened too late in the morning. at 7am it was closed for cleaning when I wanted to prepare my food for the Half Marathon.

• 11th Oct 2014

Staff were amazing, the pub crawl on Fridays was so much fun and the free towels and breakfast a nice bonus, would stay again

I hope it was the last time

It's a good hostel if you want to socialize. The beds are comfortable enough and the bathrooms are generally clean.

I went into this place without very high expectations having read mixed reviews, which proved about right. Staff was nice, good locations, decent common room, but the beds had a bit of a rank smell about them though and were pretty uncomfortable and toilets were a bit gross. Also no option of female only dorms. It served it's purpose for me as a cheap place to stay one night but if you're going for a longer stay I would look elsewhere.

The beds were too small. The rooms were packed. There was no space for my luggage. The place wasn't very clean. I have stayed in other hostels around Europe and I have to say that it was the worst: it was more expensive than other hostels and the facilities weren't good enough.

• 26th Sep 2014
  • Mexico

No wifi. Not clean. No hangers or enough shelves in the bathroom. Confused staff.

• 26th Sep 2014
  • Israel

Got stuffed around with our check in (placed in the wrong rooms ect). Seems to be a lot of long stay people who were quite rowdy all night. Beds were uncomfortable. Wasn't a nice stay.

The location was good... The only thing that I'm not satisfied was that I felt the air in the room was not so fresh--kinda in need of ventilation... Apart from that, it's a good place to stay

The guys at the Oxford backpackers were such a blast. They were friendly, helpful, genuine and really lovely. The location was brilliant, so close to many things and the main shopping, food area and bus and train terminal. I found the WiFi to be a problem occasionally but was otherwise good. Laundry facilities were having problems when I got there but, they offered good alternatives. I would most definitely go back! Thanks guys

Great vibe.

The staff was friendly. The room was crammed and hot. The location was great, a walkable distance from everything.

toilets and showers very dirty every

I stayed here because the other hostel near by (which I stayed at the two night prior) was fully booked and I had to stay in Oxford for an extra night. The location is great, but I found the staff at times quite entitled and arrogant. In particular a male staff member who I heard commenting about female guests appearances and that he hoped to "score" with one in particular. I'm not at all prudish but it so cringe worthy and inappropriate.