Oxford Backpackers Hostel Reviews

9A Hythe Bridge Street, Oxford, England

2092 Total Reviews

Stayed in 18 bed dorm for 2 nights. Location is nice and close to the heart of the city, but next to nightclubs so it was noisy all night (and cigarette smoke filtered up into the room). Closing windows would have helped, but the room smelled so bad the smoke was preferable. Towel and linens were thankfully included! But breakfast was so disappointing we ate out. Employees had friends in late, playin pool and listening to loud music so couldn't hold a conversation. Bathroom always crowded.

• 16th May 2014

Quite a cramped hostel, with not much space in the rooms and possibly not enough showers for the number of people who were staying there. However it was entirely made up by the staff who were incredible and helpful and sociable and just generally lovely.

Would definitely find a different place to stay if in Oxford again. Definitely features a theme which caters to it being a youth hostel .... But would think youth these days are a bit more mature then the demographic they appear to be catering for. Had to dish out quite a bit of cash on arrival for security deposit/locker deposit.. So come prepared. Location was excellent with a 2 min walk from train and bus stations. Very noisy from street noise. Beds shook when the other person moved.

The hostel is clean, the staff was very kind and the location is excellent! Very close to the station and Oxford center.

Great staff, good common room, showers that work, free wifi, decent breakfast. Very good location.

Overall it was a good hostel but I seriously advice those guys to get a faster wi-fi and install routers in rooms too or at-least make sure there is internet connectivity in rooms as well. Nobody wants to come to common room just to use net.

• 11th May 2014
  • India

I stayed on the hostel for one night only. I liked the location, but I must say that I didn't feel as welcome as I expected to. The staff was a bit closed off, unfortunately. Maybe it was just a busy night. The hostel had great facilities though. A great common area, bar and pool.

• 9th May 2014
  • Denmark

Rude staff at check-in. Hostel was filthy, bedding was unchanged and stank. Entire place looked very tired weary and dirty. Only one bathroom for entire males on the hostel with cold water hot taps. Fight broke out in the room next door at 2am and spilled out into the corridor waking everyone up. The worst hostel I have ever stayed in but management do care as its Oxford and people keep coming through the doors. Stay away from this place. You were warned!!!

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. With regards to your linen, this is changed every day by housekeeping. Unfortunately another guest had broken rules, and had used your bed, as you noticed upon checking in. This was the changed by the receptionist on duty. We did have a group in at the time and unfortunately they were a bit loud, but this was handled by management at the time, and was no fighting in the hostel. We have a strict policy to ensure the safety of all our guests

It's ok. Showers suck. Windows don't keep noise from the street out. Bring earplugs. Average. Only real option in oxford, but a decent value.

Pretty average hostel. Wasn't the nicest building or the cleanest. Kept my bag on my bed when I slept. Rooms were cramped. Staff didn't seem inviting. However the price and location were great so I can't complain.

Staff were great. Invited some ppl hanging around to go out with them!

I had a little trouble with the wifi, which was frustrating. Other than that, I had a great time! The breakfast and rooms were nice, the staff friendly, and the general vibe of the hostel was so welcoming.

• 1st May 2014

staff was friendly,good energy ,the hostel was clean,i saw staff cleaning,every 7 days...

• 27th Apr 2014

staff really friendly homely feel

• 26th Apr 2014

Were there for 2 nights. Very good atmosphere, feels like home. Near to the city center and the train station. The 4-person room was small, but Okey. A clean hostel! We recommend it!

I stayed one night here in April and had a great time. Staff was amazing - very friendly and helpful! Wifi was decent, showers were hot, breakfast was the typical underwhelming hostel continental. Very close to train station and city center.

Met expectations.

• 26th Apr 2014

Best hostel ever. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. Kitchen well equipped, great big common room, awesome that they have a pool table and a bar. Baie lekker. Highly recommend this place for students and backpackers.

• 24th Apr 2014
  • South Africa

Personnel is very friendly and helpful !

The atmosphere in this hostel was very good, but the rooms were incredibly cramped. There was very little storage for bags and the bathrooms were not cleaned. A staff member was drunk at 10am and ended up quitting halfway through the day. If you want somewhere friendly to hang out in Oxford, this place was great, but don't expect a quiet or comfy sleep.

Thanks for the feedback. We can only apologise for the staff member that morning, he is no longer with our hostel as we do not condone his behaviour. We hope to see you in the future. Regards, Oxford Backpackers Team.