Oxford Backpackers Hostel Reviews

9A Hythe Bridge Street, Oxford, England

Great friendly staff, took us out for a very fun evening :) The location is a big plus, couldn't be much better!

Great central location. Lockers were a bit small and not much space to put stuff in room. Bathrooms a bit underwhelming. Nice lounge area. Good enough for cheap central option

Was crowded, despite being far from capacity and very unclean - walls were paper thin so you could hear people breathing in the next room ensuring a bad night's sleep. The hostel was decorated horribly and the staff very unresponsive and helpful. Avoid.

• 3rd Jun 2014

My overall feeling was pretty content, the atmosphere was good, although I had some issues. I stayed at the Oxford Backpackers for four days, but my bedding was changed after two days and pj's were gone. Luckily I was able to recover them from the lost&found box. I couldn't find my towel, though, which went missing a few hours later. (At the same time, nothing was taken from my suitcase) Probably a roommate took it, because the place had pretty strict security regulations about strangers.

Great Hostel

Unconfortable rooms (withouth wall outlet beside of bed or private lights) and poor breakfst. Could be improved these questions.

Couldn't be happier with my stay!

Good hostel in a great area in Oxford. Close to everything, decent breakfast, good deals at bar, nice atmosphere.

Quite old hostel with lovely staff.

• 27th May 2014

Everything is fine except the noise from the street at night and the toilet door -- there is a gap even the door is closed and locked. That is quite embarrassing.

great atmosphere! meet a lot of friends at this hostel. nice location.

Overall, the hostel is nice and worth for stay. The staff are nice and helpful.

It looks a bit grungy from the outside but don't be scared (as my friend and I were). Great rooms, beds are far away from each other and definitely a good sleep. The showers were a bit gross but still manageable. Very accommodating staff at front desk :)

• 22nd May 2014

This is the best hostel I have ever stayed in. The decor was exquisitie and my mattress was the perfect level of sponginess. The staff were super helpful and ready to deal with any demand of mine with a big smile. Great fun atmosphere in the bar, and had a wild night in wahoo afterwards. Only hitch was I got a bit too drunk afterwards- lolz!

• 21st May 2014
  • Barbados

Fantastic, friendly staff. Natly runs a tight ship.

Another great stay at this hostel - I've stayed here 5 or 6 times, and will book again next time I need to be in Oxford. The staff were, as ever, friendly, helpful, and efficient when checking in/out. The room (1) was always kept clean, as were the female bathroom and the kitchen. Great stuff!

• 19th May 2014

Excellent time. Hostel has improved hugely since I stayed there in 2004. Staff very friendly and even invited my friend and I out with them. Great location too, right next to the nightlife.

Stayed in 18 bed dorm for 2 nights. Location is nice and close to the heart of the city, but next to nightclubs so it was noisy all night (and cigarette smoke filtered up into the room). Closing windows would have helped, but the room smelled so bad the smoke was preferable. Towel and linens were thankfully included! But breakfast was so disappointing we ate out. Employees had friends in late, playin pool and listening to loud music so couldn't hold a conversation. Bathroom always crowded.

• 16th May 2014

Quite a cramped hostel, with not much space in the rooms and possibly not enough showers for the number of people who were staying there. However it was entirely made up by the staff who were incredible and helpful and sociable and just generally lovely.

Would definitely find a different place to stay if in Oxford again. Definitely features a theme which caters to it being a youth hostel .... But would think youth these days are a bit more mature then the demographic they appear to be catering for. Had to dish out quite a bit of cash on arrival for security deposit/locker deposit.. So come prepared. Location was excellent with a 2 min walk from train and bus stations. Very noisy from street noise. Beds shook when the other person moved.