Oztel Reviews

Rua Pinheiro Guimaraes, 91, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This is not a design hostel as advertised. The bar/decoration are great but once you get upstairs to the hostel part is quite dissapointing for the money you pay. Besides the dorms don't have locks. There are lockers inside but the dorm's door stays open and anyone can get in. Quite dissapointed with this one. Only plus side is breakfast and bar

Awesome awesome hostel to stay in! Staff were great, extremely helpful and friendly.. Good atmosphere and arty vibe. Speedy wifi. Only downfall is the less than average breakfast. Would definitely stay here again

• 30th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Great atmosphere and clean rooms. My only suggestion/comment is that I would have felt safer if there were locks on the room doors.

• 27th May 2014

Toilet lights are on a timer that turns off too quick. Showers don't have adjustable temperature. Atmosphere wasn't really party like, not necessarily a bad thing. Receptionist is really cute/sweet, I see a bright future for us.

• 10th May 2014

Cleanliness could be better, showers flooded when taking showers and first impression where I arrived in the room was terrible, Beds really dirty and no organization, you guys should really improve on these.

The place has nice decoration pieces, but they have some troubles: The bathroom was so dirty that the walls were full of slime - blergh. During the night they do parties and nobody cleans it while it's happening: the bathrooms are very dirty in the morning, the waste baskets are full. During the coffee break one day the milk and the teas finished (hein?), in the other day, the bread was over (!!!!). The juices are terrible and the fruits seems like old. They needed 24 hours to give my towel!

The hostel is well located, but some of the staff were very unfriendly to help. However what I really didn't like was the bathrooms and toilets very not been cleaned the whole weekend.

It's all way dirty not worth the money at all

When I checked in, it was off-season, so there was hardly any people staying there. I had an 8-bed dorm to myself the whole 4 days. And I hardly ever saw any other guests. I think there was only about 5 others staying there. All the facilities are great, free wifi and a TV room to watch movies. The staff are friendly, esp a fella called Alex, who was helpful. The breakfast needs cereal & milk! There is a bar and they let in the public which is cool. I imagine if it was busy, it would be awesome.

This hostel is well designed and clean. It has some details that make your stay there easier (one plug per bed, card to access to the room for example). Breakfast is OK (Bread, fruits, coffee, jam, cheese, juices). Part of the staff is very helpful and attentive, the other part is very much interested in watching TV while working. I would recommend it to those whose priority is comfort.

• 9th Mar 2013
  • Argentina

Location is in a bit of no-man's-land. Right on the edge of Botofogo it's atleast a 15 walk to anywhere (copacobana, botofogo etc). Still the hostel is nice & clean, showers are hot, there's a cool aircon'd tv room. 14 bed dorm was well aircon'd but on the street side of the hostel so REALLY noisy! Some of the staff are great, others not. Kitchen is tiny, bordering on unusable. This hostel has a lot of rooms all over the place so it tends to lack some warmth & vibe. In total just an ok hostel

Great hostel! Awesome staff & bar! Would definitely stay here again!!

Stayed here for 2 nights and had booked a private single room. My room was clean and the bed very comfortable. However, because there was no fan or aircon i was forced to have a window open - my room unfortunately overlooked some sort of bar, and the noise from people outside kept me awake most of the night. The next day i was told they wanted to do maintenance to my room that day so i needed to move. Thankfully, i was upgraded to one of their self contained apartments, which was amazing!!

One of the best experiences in my life!

• 1st Feb 2013

Nice place to stay but very quiet atmosphere. They have a nice bar area which could do with some livening up! Staff were extremely friendly and helpful and rooms were nice.

• 15th Dec 2012

This was a nice little hostel, safe neighbourhood. Our door didnt shut on our bedroom which wasnt great but we felt safe there and staff were helpful and friendly. There wasnt much atmosphere but probably because we arrived in the week not in peak season. Close to shops etc and was kept nice and clean, good value for money and a lot better than other hostels weve stayed in Rio.

Thank you for your time with us! We have fixed the doors already and we are looking forward to welcome you back! All the best!

hostel built to be a hostel!!!! So, good social areas, nice number of bathrooms... pretty clean and good staff. Oh and a good taste of design :) lovely...

Thank you for your words! It was a pleasure to have you here with us! :)

Simplesmente ótimo! O lugar é muito agradável, o atendimento é excelente, assim como o dry martine!

• 9th Nov 2012

The only downside was the booking. Even though I've used the HostelWorld to book my stay there, the hostel sent an email requesting the security code of my credit card, otherwise the reservation will not be effectuate. I thought the request inappropriate, since I had used the HostelWorld for this purpose. Even so, I contacted the hostel in order to get more information, which did not occur, and the same text that was sent by email was repeated.

Excellent service! Highly recomended!

• 27th Oct 2012