Paganakan Dii Tropical Retreat Reviews

Mile 14, Jalan Labuk, Sandakan, Malaysia

This is a great retreat close to Sepilok. Relaxing place with plenty of hammocks and chilled areas. Staff really helpful and the transfers in and out of key attractions are a big plus.

Great spot in jungle mixed with palm trees. We had a ridge hut by ourselves up on the hill with very comfortable bed & incredible views down through the jungle to the river & up the other side from the little verandah. Backpackers stayed in a longhouse. Location is a few k's from Sepilok, but they drop people off there at 9am & pick up at 4pm. Staff were kind enough to carry my bag up the hill for me.

I was really disappointed with the staff and their service. I had high expectations of this place based on previous reviews and I don't need a lot of facilities, however I just felt the staff really didn't care so much and just wanted to go home and chat amongst themselves. The place itself has loads of potential and the rooms are nice, and the outside bathrooms were nice and clean. The menu was very basic and restrictive with not many options. I wouldn't rush back to this hotel.

This place is great if you're interested in seeing the orangutans or sun bears - no more than a 5-10 minute drive away. I was very impressed with the dorm facilities and the restaurant / lounge area. The staff is great at booking tours for you. However, it's quite a ways out from Sandakan, so if youre planning to do anything there, maybe stay somewhere closer. The only downside was that their food was a tad pricey. However, it was very delicious, so I didn't mind much.

It's a gorgeous retreat in the middle of the jungle - no noisy traffic, just jungle sounds. Lovely hammock area and nice varied menu depending on week day. Free cooked breakfast. Close to things to do and free shuttle 3 times of day to get there. Free pick up from main road. Staff really lovely and go out of their way to help you. Unfortunately the lady working at bar/reception on my last day (July 11th) had a terrible attitude and any simple request was a big deal to her. Otherwise I loved it!

This is just the perfect place to stay in this area. We enjoyed every second of our (much too short) stay there. Right in the jungle, great to relax and see the nearby sights (like the Orang Utan Center) with the provided shuttle bus! Fantastic staff as well that helped us plan our further journey! Cannot recommend this enough!

• 11th Jun 2015

Nice place in a great location. Rooms are rustic and simple but nice. Beds were very comfy. A decent location to stay overnight to see more of Sepilok and experience the rainforest. Free shuttle service was useful. The breakfast included was of a good standard as was the dinner, though was potentially the cause of an upset tummy or two. The staff were nice when they actually spoke to you, which was not often, they were not particularly interested in paying the guests much attention.