Painted Turtle Guesthouse Reviews

121 Bastion Street, Vancouver Island, Nanaimo, Canada

Really thought Angie was an outstanding person at the front - very personable, considerate, open and generous. Unfortunately, that evening the staff changed and the person was rather closed off and glum. That evening one of the bathrooms had no toilet paper and the next morning I found an upstairs exterior door that was propped open with a small cardboard thing, where it clearly said the alarm would sound if the door was opened. Not too secure!

• 18th Apr 2014

Great hostel in the centre of downtown Nanaimo. The décor is more like a modern apartment than a hostel, the Great Room is a genuinely lovely place to be. Lockers are flat and small, laptop bag sized, but the cozy feel of the place didn't lead me to worry about security at all. I was there in shoulder season, so was quiet - just what I needed to recharge after some time at busy city hostels, but wasn't buzzing if that's what you're after.

• 3rd Apr 2014

I loved staying here! Very safe, the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable, and the place was in an excellent location. The rooms were nice and clean, and the kitchen/common room is beautiful. Love the discount bracelet! We used it at at least 4 places. It would be nice if the kitchen/common room was open a bit later, but otherwise this place is a gem.

The Painted Turtle is in a great location for proximity to shops, restaurants, conference facilities and tourist attractions. At the same time, it is also very close to the clubs, so noise from club traffic is a drawback, as was the fire alarm being pulled at 2:40am. Ideally, the kitchen could use better ventilation and/or the facility could invest in other deodorizing mechanisms, as my room had noticeable residual food and other scents.

• 7th Feb 2014

Painted Turtle was one of the best hostels I`ve stayed ever. Staff is really friendly, they have a great location in the city. I went to have a shower early in the morning and even with a shared bathroom it was really clean. I don`t have anything to complain. :D

Everything was perfect, I couldn't have asked for anything better

• 5th Nov 2013