Painted Turtle Guesthouse Reviews

121 Bastion Street, Vancouver Island, Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

I'd expect room for at least a 65-litre backpack, rather than tiny ones that fit a daysack. Lockers that were there were all occupied. I saw one visitor use three separate half-empty lockers for her stuff! Whilst some didn't have one at all; perhaps a policy could be enforced? Never had this problem elsewhere, maybe just an inconsiderate group. That said staff very helpful by letting me keep my rucksack in the basement lock-up one night. But I slept with my laptop, camera and money for security!

• 3rd Apr 2014

I loved staying here! Very safe, the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable, and the place was in an excellent location. The rooms were nice and clean, and the kitchen/common room is beautiful. Love the discount bracelet! We used it at at least 4 places. It would be nice if the kitchen/common room was open a bit later, but otherwise this place is a gem.

The Painted Turtle is in a great location for proximity to shops, restaurants, conference facilities and tourist attractions. At the same time, it is also very close to the clubs, so noise from club traffic is a drawback, as was the fire alarm being pulled at 2:40am. Ideally, the kitchen could use better ventilation and/or the facility could invest in other deodorizing mechanisms, as my room had noticeable residual food and other scents.

• 7th Feb 2014

Painted Turtle was one of the best hostels I`ve stayed ever. Staff is really friendly, they have a great location in the city. I went to have a shower early in the morning and even with a shared bathroom it was really clean. I don`t have anything to complain. :D

Everything was perfect, I couldn't have asked for anything better

• 5th Nov 2013