Palmers Lodge - Hillspring at Willesden Green Reviews

233 Willesden Lane, London, London, England

I am sad to say the hostel has lowered its standards since the last time I visited. A little bit pricey for what you get.

Room's were far too small, smaller than advertised on the website, and where located in a dark basement with cloudy and dirty windows. There where bugs all over the walls too.

• 4th Oct 2014

I stayed here for eight consecutive nights and found it to be one of the best-run hostels I've ever stayed in. - Staff members are very friendly and helpful, especially Cass and Kevin at reception. - Cleaners do a fantastic job in ensuring that such a big hostel is kept in very good condition. - Complimentary breakfast is better than many other places. - Bunk beds are among the best I've ever seen. - Secure cupboards are fantastic. - Lounge and bar are really nice places to relax.

it was a great experience to spend this vacation in your hostel

• 3rd Oct 2014
  • Egypt

Best hostel I've stayed at! Definitely planning on coming back. Awesome atmosphere and amazing staff. Tommy and Mr. Ed were especially friendly and useful in helping me make the most of my trip to London. I would have gotten lost so many times without them. Thanks for an fantastic stay :)

I was travelling in a large group and we all had different arrival and departure times. The staff was very accommodating with check-in and check-out. Also, they gave great information and tips on things to do in the city, as well as offering discount tickets for major attractions. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean, and I was never worried about my safety. From start to finish the entire experience was a very comfortable and pleasant one.

• 3rd Oct 2014

Thanks for welcoming us so warmheartedly at the registration ( young gentleman from Spain). We stayed in room 300 ? and we would have appreciated two glasses for toothbrushing and a storage place under the mirror in the bathroom. It seems that the broken glas had not been repaired, it was simply missing. Nevertheless thanks and we'll come back. G. Momberg-Greschke

• 2nd Oct 2014

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The location is 25min from London centre, tube is a 10min walk away. Bus 206 stops outside the hostel, but you will likely have to jump on a connecting bus to your destination. The cleanliness stood out most: facilities are kept in immaculate condition. The beds were comfortable and sheets were very clean and fresh smelling. Breakfast free but expect only 1 croissant and some toast n cereal. Great value at £22 a night for a 4-bed dorm

Clean, easy to access, good layout, friendly staff, value bar and food, good value

there's a guy working in the kitchen that is the rudiest person i've ever met in a hostel. the fridge would be ok for a flatshare with 4 tenants, not for a hostel with (i guess) 100 beds or more. the kitchen has no real fires but just two creepy electric cookers that will frustrate you to death. stability of internet connection could be improved. other stuff is ok.

People here seems to act as they would do if being at home. Very quickly you will feel to be in a team. Not any other hostel I have been in London was that much tidy and clean. Most of the staff is perfect and for the rest..forgive and forget :)

• 25th Sep 2014

I was really disappointed by this hostel. The location is terrible, far from everything. The kitchen is a joke : very small, only one fridge, who is always full. At the beginning there were only 2 pans and 2 pots for the whole hostel. But then they disappeared, and there was only one pan, and no pots anymore! For the whole hostel. The rooms were nice, but not enough room in the lockers. The staff was not really friendly. Good hostel... if you only plan to stay one night.

Hi, We agree that we are not physically close to the city centre but we must comment that the zone is very well communicated: The underground takes only 15 minutes to take you down town. As for the pans and pots, we are sorry for any inconvenience caused. Now they have all been replaced. Kind regards

I have nearly 6 weeks booked and made a point of booking a bottom bunk but it seems no heed is taken. I have to keep checking out and checking to get a bottom bunk. Its really annoying as it means packing up, putting all my stuff in a locker, then checking back in again.

• 23rd Sep 2014

Great hostel, amazing staff and facilities. Highly recommend to anyone.

• 22nd Sep 2014
  • Spain

It was much further away from the station that I thought it would be. I also was surprised by the lack of plug sockets in my 4 bed room, there was only sockets available for those on the lower beds and as I was on a top bunk that made it difficult to charge my phone.

Hi, It is true that we are not located next to an underground station, but it takes only around 5-6 minutes to get there. Perhaps you were confused with our other hostel located in Swiss Cottage, which is only a 2-3 minutes walk. Regarding the sockets, there are enough for everyone in the room. Unfortunately in the room you were staying these are located closer to the lower bunk, but that doesn't mean that they are for the use of the person using the lower bunk only. We apologize for that.

We booked a twin room and ended up with two tiny bunk beds. I have a bad back and my friend doesn't like heights so this didn't really work. When I asked if we could have a double bed we were told there was nothing left. You couln't swig a cat in the room. You should not put bright airy pictures on your website if it does not look like that and certainly you should say if you are booking bunk beds!

• 20th Sep 2014
  • Malta

Hi there, We are sorry to hear that you didn't like the room. It is true that all of our Twin Rooms are equipped with bunk beds. This is very common in the hostels world, unlike the hotels. But we also offer other types of rooms such as the Double Rooms or the Executive Private Rooms. We do apologize if we couldn't gave you any other options but we would have done it happily and without hesitating if we did have the availability. Kind regards.

Palmers Lodge is definitely one of London's better hostels. Rooms are secured by keycard, and the hostel property is gated. Rooms had lockers under beds, as well as lockers secured by keycard available for hire. It's right on the border of Zone 2 and 3—a little ways out of the center. Tube line closed on a Sunday, and the rail replacement service was hella slow—so keep that in mind. Curtains on the beds, lights, and power outlets are nice, but you'll never see who's in your dorm because of it.

It is a nice hostel. It is really not far from the center. You walk about 7 - 8 minutes to the subway and from there you're in 15 minutes in the centre. Subways go frequently. The rooms where clean. The lockers were good in the rooms. The floor in the shower was sometimes a little dirty. But that's minor. I would definitely come back again.

• 19th Sep 2014

Not good if looking for private room, too small

• 19th Sep 2014
  • Poland

Hi there and thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear you didn't like your room too much, maybe because the Twin Rooms have bunk beds and not everyone likes it. We understand that so we are happy to mention that we also have other very nice private rooms that might have suited you best, such as the Executive Private Ensuite. They are more spacious and comfortable. Hope you can give us another chance and come back soon! :)