Palmers Lodge - Hillspring at Willesden Green Reviews

233 Willesden Lane, London, London, England

Too far from the center, cranky desk people, no toilet in the room even though there's a shower.

Hi there. The hostel is located in Zone 2 of London, only a few minutes away from an underground station. From there, the Jubilee line gets to the city centre in less than 15 minutes. That can't be too far, depending on the desire to be in the center of the action or just relaxing in a more quiet area. The room facilities are described clearly on the website. In your case, you booked a 14 bed dorm. And we don't advertise it as having toilets or showers. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Only complaint is that the wireless at the end of the hall on the second floor is basically unusable--signal strength was too low and kept dropping entirely.

Hi there and thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that. Depending on the device the signal might be stronger or not, but we are aware that there are some points were the coverage it's not optimal and we are looking to improve it. Kind regards

The hostel has a good value for money for London. A simple but well prepared breakfast. The showers in the basement were not working properly (the temperature kept varying all time). The lockers inside the rooms were a bit small: with good lenght and width but low height, it was not possible to put my bag inside. I found reallly practical the individual curtains and lamps in the beds.

Thank you for your review. We are aware of water temperature problem and are currently working on it. The locker provided are for valuables only so they are not supposed to fit in a full bag. We do however rent bigger lockers for £1 per day which are bigger. Regards, Palmers Lodge Hillspring

Palmerston lodge started out great... They overbooked my type of room so they gave me when private room for free. However, for the remainder, I wanted to stay in the private with a friend and they said it would be fine, that my friend could cancel without paying. Low and behold, she got charged anyway, which meant I had to make up the difference of price for the private room. Absolutely ridiculous, as London is already insanely expensive. Very disappointed.

The hostel is a quiet place to stay and to sleep. Breakfast is pretty "small": it would be great to have cheese or sausage. Otherwise you´ve got a clean, quiet low budget accomodation.

• 31st Dec 2014

Thank you for your feedback. In order to keep our breakfast free we cannot really add any more stuff. We are currently now testing paid breakfast at our sister hostel so if it works well we might introduce a different option for our guests. However, it won't be free any longer. We are looking forward to see you again.

Cool hostel, good environment, clean. A little bit expensive for the services it provides in my opinion. It's not in central London, so to arrive you'll need a 16 minutes underground trip. It's 8/10 minutes walking from the metro station.

It's a very nice and clean place where to stay for few days. I loved it !

• 30th Dec 2014

Thank you for taking your time time to leave this review. It's nice to know you love us :)

Mostly, everything was fine. The curtains on the beds are nice for privacy. There were three bad things: 1. The lockers under the bed were too small for a normal bag. 2. The water temperature in the showers kept fluctuating from kinda cold to scalding. 3. The hostel is a bit out of the way. It takes about 45 minutes to get anywhere from the hostel using the underground. Don't make the American mistake that I made; a plate of "chips" is actually a plate of fries.

Thank you for leaving the review. The lockers provided in big dorms are for valuables only but we do rent bigger lockers which will fit in the whole suitcase for only £1. Also, we are aware about the water temperature issues and are currently working on it. The tube ride to central London is only 20 mins so next time please ask reception for the best travel options. Regards, Palmers Lodge Hillspring

Bathroom in 14 bed mixed door was ridiculously small. There was no room to change or even dry yourself after showering. Beds comfortable and bed curtains a bonus. Would stay again.

• 30th Dec 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We do have more bathrooms which are bigger so next time please ask reception about them. We hope to see you again :)

Stayed in a twin bedroom with an ensuite bathroom. Room was tidy, linen was clean and hygiene facilities were good.

• Gibraltar

Thank you for the kind words. Hope to see you soon with us again! Kind regards

This hostel is very too big if you want to have some close information and good relationship. It's like a factory. no good morning from the staff. The kitchen is very too small and quite dirty. Good point : the 98 Bus is just in front of the hostel.

• 29th Dec 2014

I had a great time there, I would definitely recommend this hostel to friends and family! Thank you guys!

Thanks a lot! We are looking forward to seeing you again :)

Great hostel, very good facilities, nice vibe, spacious and very clean. Only con is that it is a bit far away from the citycenter.

Dear guest, thanks for your feedback. Our hostel is only 20 mins away from the city center which is not so bad considering it's London. Next time just ask reception for the best transport options. Hope to see you again!

Stayed in a 16 bed & a 22. 22 bed dorm was actually better, a lot more room between beds. Ensuite was beyond small in the 16 bed dorm, good for night time otherwise just used the shared bathrooms for showering. Breakfast was toast, croissants, cereal, juice and coffee which was great. staff were awesome. The train line had construction during our stay and it still only took about 15 minutes to get into the cbd. definitely recommend staying here if you're not fussed about the short train trip

We are very happy to know you had a good time. Hope to see you again!

Clean, very helpfull staff, good atmosphere! there's a bar and the deck area is nice. Room is toughtfully designed and they've got very big lockers, which is nice. There's also a sink inside the room, which allows you to brush your teeth, wash your face and stuff faster and with a little bit more privacy. Too expensive for a shared room though. The rates vary according to how requested the specific date is, so it can reach up to 50 or 70 pounds close to holidays such as New year's Eve.

• 24th Dec 2014

Dear guest, thank you for your reply. We are glad to know you had a good time!

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hillspring, the staff is excelent - very friendly and ready to help at any time. The facilities are really good, the atmosphere of the hostel is also great and the bar is very nice. The room I stayed is a bit small and offers 4 free lockers that only opens with you access key. I found the mattress a little hard and the pillow was kind of thin and not very comfortable... I would recommend to change de mattress or at least the pillow (if possible).

• 24th Dec 2014

Thanks a lot for your review. It's great to know that had a good stay. Also, next time just ask for an extra pillow. Regards, Palmers Lodge Hillspring

NB: I selected "average location", but I guess out of London's "cool spots" everywhere seems a little average. Quiet and safe area. The hostel itself is nice; when people meet at the bar indoor chilling, playing or dining with background music, the atmosphere gets very cozy. The bunk beds with curtains and personal night lamp provide you enough privacy if needed - and I slept in the 22-beds dorm (where some more fresh air would be needed... but you don't spend much time there). Recommendable!

• 22nd Dec 2014

Thank you for your kind words. We are sorry to hear that there was not so much fresh air in the big dorm. But having days with 0 degrees of temperature probably made the other guests close the windows. Hope to see you soon! :)

The decor and facility is probably the best thing about this hostel. The beds and curtains were also a highlight. With the exception of one girl at the front desk, the staff did not seem thrilled with their jobs and had no interest in guests. Given the size, this is more of a budget hotel and none of the traveler/backpacker atmosphere I hoped for existed. I stayed in a 22 person dorm and it wasn't as loud as I thought but oh my god it needs far more ventilation. Croissants = fantastic

Dear guest, thank you for taking your time to leave the review. Complaints about our staff customer service are very important to us so if you would like to tell us more about it please contact us as feedback@palmerslodge.co.uk. Regards, Plamers Lodge Hillspring.

Nice place and friendly staff. Wish the bar stayed open later and there was a few more options on the breakfast.

• 20th Dec 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Hi there and thank you for the feedback. We are thinking about extending the breakfast options and offer different things. At the moment we are trying those improvements on our sister hostel and so far it had very good feedback. So hopefully by the time you come back we will be offering a better service :) Kind regards

The lift is too noisy at night, which affects sleep.