Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

Arrive at Palmers Lodge and got told the guy at the desk couldn't serve me as he was cashing up - he assured me his colleague would be back in 5 minutes to open the other desk (it is meant to be a 24 hour check in). I waited 8 minutes and in this time the other guy came in, logged on to the desk where I was waiting and walked off again. I finally got served after waiting for ten minutes which would have disappointing at any time of day, let alone so late at night when I just wanted to get to bed

Disappointing to find the previously free breakfast now costs an additional £4.95 and that if your plans change there is no cancellation policy and you cannot get your money back for nights you'd planned to stay there but then could not. (Although I was fortunate that the manage made an exception for me and refunded me the night I could not stay).

• 27th Jan 2015

This is probably one of the best hostels of London! The staff is also amazing! Really loved staying there.

• 23rd Jan 2015

Very good and lovely hostel, the best so far!

Even though this is not an anonymous comment and I do want to return to this hostel, I do want to say that the front office staff was quite unfriendly to me. The other staff such as the bar staff were very nice.

• 18th Jan 2015

I have contacted Palmers Lodge directly regarding their recent shortcoming during my stay, however they are not responding! I am shocked and very disappointed! Issues I raised: Bed lamp and power socket not working, toilet in the wing I was staying in was out of service! The above made coming to bed late at night very difficult, and made for an unpleasant stay. You guys should at least have the courtesy to respond to correspondence relating to the above!

All good apart from rude cleaners, I know it's a rubbish job but you chose it! Don't take that out on the guests!! :/

• 17th Jan 2015

The room was not as the one shown in the pictures, also there was a little cold inside but overall is a nice and clean place to stay. Not really close to the centre, but in metro you can reach any point around the city, so is not a big deal, and the staff is really keen to give you directions.

The only negative thing to say is that breakfast isn't included anymore. Other than that, my number-one-place to stay in London.

• 15th Jan 2015

Hi there and thank you for your review. We were receiving many reviews in concern of the quality of the old breakfast saying that the offer wasn't good enough. Hence we decided to offer guests a better breakfast, more complete, and in order to do it we had to start charging for it. :( Hope you can still choose us for your next stay! :)

Five stars all the way... I really enjoyed my stay

The location and the staff are good, but the rooms and drawers are too small, and the restroom is crowded.

• 14th Jan 2015

The rood was bit cold and I think they didn't clean well.Smell was not so good. Kitchen is small. It's not enough to cook with bunch of people. The lift was broken. It was horrible. London is high price city, so this hostel is good to stay,when you think about your money.

I have stayed here before and it was ok but this time it just was pretty lame. The atmosphere of the place is to busy and doesn't allow travelers to come together, talk, and share stories. A friend of mine had her locker broken into while there, and there should be a rule that you mush shower in order to stay at the hostel, (had a room that smelled like curry, BO, and expired salami).

Now that Palmer's Lodge has established a guest kitchen, it moves back up to the first rank of London hostels. Importatn to point out, though, that the kitchen is pokey (impossible to work in there with more than two people), But it;s still a guest kitchen, after all. The place also had dropped the included breakfast and lowered its prices -- with a paid-for breakfast. This, too, is a move forward.

I have stayed several times at Palmer's lodge since 2010. The 18 bed mixed dorm remains great value, with plenty of space, plenty of power points, and small curtains for privacy. The wifi has improved, as has the space in the ground floor showers. However, the 30 second timer in the showers is a pain, the kitchen facilities remain poor, and they no longer offer a free breakfast.

Great Hostel. There are reviews saying that people are not social in this hostel, but I am assuming that they did not initiate any conversation. Made great friends at this hostel. Very very clean facilities. Safe. I did not try the breakfast, but also did not want to pay the price for it. Staff was very nice and friendly. Just overall a nice place place! I would go back to this hostel in a heartbeat. Privacy screens when sleeping were also a big perk to my stay.

Not my first stay, and most likely not my last. Good value for your money and close (by tube or bus) to most things you ''have'' to see when in London.

• 10th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

excellent as always

Thank you! Hope to see you again soon. Tom

I go back to the hostel every time I can. Very clean and comfy; nice structures and bed's already made when you check in! :D Easily reachable with metro/bus and handy also if you plan a night out (nightbuses run both from Piccadilly and Camden Town)

Stayed here several times, always a pleasure.

Hello, glad to hear it. We look forward to seeing you next time. Tom

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7