Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

A nice little place with a tube station about 5 minutes away. There isn't much around the hostel, except some fast food places but it's safe and clean.

I really liked the facilities. The staff was really nice and helpful. I think the 23 bed dorm is a bit too much people in one room. I prefer max 8-10 bed rooms.

• 23rd Apr 2015

Service at the bar was slow and disappointingly closed at 2300 rather than midnight as advertised.

• 21st Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Great place - lots of character. Ended up calling it Hogwarts, Swiss Cottage because of the curtains around the beds, suit of armour on the stairs and imposing looking building. Had everything I needed and was really close to Swiss Cottage tube and buses to Camden and elsewhere. I will stay there whenever I go to London.

• 17th Apr 2015

Dear guest, thanks for the comments. Glad you had a good time with us, and welcome back anytime. Thanks again. Tom

It was nice, but the lack of a real kitchen really hurt it in my opinion. I did like the way they have curtains on all the bunks, and that they're custom made wood and super comfy. One weird thing that really bothered me was the pricing. If I book online it's cheaper than if I book in person. I always book in person at the hostel or over the phone to help give the hostel more money because this site and others take a percentage. I tried to do that here and ended up paying an extra £2 a night.

This hostel was bizarre. Each bed had these weird red velvet 'privacy curtains' which smelt like musky cheesy feet and made you feel like you were sleeping in a coffin. The hostel displays strange, haunting artwork ranging from a half zebra-half horse watercolour to a full suit of armour on the landing. I swear this hostel is haunted by a ghost called Toby. Although there were cleaners in regularly, the hostel never felt clean. This was by far the most perplexing, unnerving experience ever.

Nice central location, nice old fashioned building

• 12th Apr 2015

Best hostel ever!!!!

• 10th Apr 2015
  • Spain

Having never stayed in a hostel before and wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised, although it has been some years since I have slept in a bunk bed!! The only thing I can really fault with the rooms is the lack of air conditioning. We had a couple of warm days during our stay, and the small window in the 4 bedded dorm, was not really sufficient for cooling the room down. This could be a problem if staying during the hot summer months. Other than that, perfect place to stay :)

• 9th Apr 2015

The rooms are too small. It doesn't worth the money. We paid for 100 pounds for a deluxe double room en-suite, but the room is the 2-nd smallest in the hostel.

It was a great hostel overall! Safe, near to the city center and the staff was really helpful and polite! The only thing that could be improved is to have some chairs at the dormitories so that we could hang our towels and put our things on. Also great atmosphere! I really enjoyed staying at a cottage-style hostel.

Atmosphere is very uninviting.. the bar, with the most inviting part of the hostel to hang out in, closes at 11pm and you are directed to the hot box lounge upstairs. 5 second shower is also disappointing. Clean though!

Staff was amazing and it was really clean! It's a little bit far from some of the big touristy places like the West End but the neighborhood it's in is very quiet and quaint

• 4th Apr 2015

This hostel was really nice! I liked the building, the location was great for getting to Central London through the Tube (even if the line for that Underground line was down, the city was nice enough to provide suitable replacement transportation), the staff was incredibly helpful and hospitable, the food was good, and I was thankful for the laundry facilities!

I've booked a 21 female dorm which is the only available options for the date i travel. Definitely not recommending anyone to choose that as it was too packed and there literally have no secure place to store your own belongings. you have to rent a locker which will be located on the other floor if you do not have a pad lock with you. I find it not convenient. Also, the hostel have a very strong smell of wood which i personally dont really like it.

A wonderfully gorgeous place, impressed by the delightful interior, just wish I hadn't been such a heavy snorer, sorry to anyone staying in the room, during my stay!

• 30th Mar 2015

Was mostly clean and was in a great location. However, when I told them the bed light wasn't working, they didn't seem to care. Someone looked at it, then did nothing about it. That kind of ticked me off, especially since I was staying there for 5 nights out of my 6 night holiday and I had no light to sit in my quiet bunk and read. Why not use the lounge? Because I was avoiding noise and the millions of unsupervised under 16s that were running around. I personally wouldn't stay here again.

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to leave some comments. We are always looking to improve our service, and your comments are valuable for that. I apologise for the fact that the problem with your bed-light was not resolved, this is not the standard that we expect from staff. Thanks again for the feedback. Tom

The Staff was great, very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is really good and you can get you money's worth. However, the doors close with a loud bang every time you close them - and since the room next to us decided to come back in the middle of the night, we were woken up by several loud bangs at 4 in the morning. And it wasn't even our room! That was very annoying!

• 29th Mar 2015

Nice place, with friendly people from all around the world.

• 29th Mar 2015

Cosy. Nice how the individual beds have curtains for privacy.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7