Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

Staff was excellent and the four poster beds offered comfort and privacy.

• 3rd May 2015

Stayed for two nights, good hostel would stay again. Curtains around beds in the 12-bed dorms are cool. A friend mentioned putting a bench in the downstairs shower rooms would be handy to keep stuff from getting wet, but other than that facilities were decent.

On the arrival there were a misenderstood about the room : we were a family of 5 persons included 3 children, i had to book a bedroom of six places because there was no 5 available ; thinking that we would be 5 in the bedroom. In fact it was not a family room as i thought but a room mixt du to be completed by a sixth personn. Also very disapointed about the kitchen very small and poor Im using youth hostel and it 's the first time that there is no kitchen well at least it was clean,secure

• 1st May 2015

We enjoyed our stay with you. We would have preferred our own bathroom but knew when we booked that we would have to share. It would be great to have a dry private place to get dressed after using the public showers. We appreciated the cleanliness and the safe environment.

• 30th Apr 2015

It was my first experience ever in a hostel, and as an older woman, it was quite daunting to begin with. But, I am delighted to report that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, the staff ever so helpful, everything neat and clean, the atmosphere totally cosmopolitan and interesting. Not to speak of the lovely Victorian building, the ceiling and chandelier in the lounge, the ornate wooden floor, the wide staircase leading up to my room. Not forgetting a cuppa tea ad lib!

• 30th Apr 2015

I always use Welsden green one, but this time, they were full booking, so I desided to stay Swiss cottage one. I feel very sad because they have not hand shower each floor. this is unconviniece!! Female need hand shower. please understand. and also hotel stuff is not friendly like welsden green one. always only one person manage at front section, this is take a long time to ask and check in. I was waiting for 30 minute when I checked in !!! so bad system .....

its very good hostel. highly recommended. it would be more nice if the bathroom is separeted male and female.

Hi there, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about the bathrooms issue as we actually do have one female only bathroom. Hope to see you again soon! :)

A nice little place with a tube station about 5 minutes away. There isn't much around the hostel, except some fast food places but it's safe and clean.

I really liked the facilities. The staff was really nice and helpful. I think the 23 bed dorm is a bit too much people in one room. I prefer max 8-10 bed rooms.

• 23rd Apr 2015

Great place to stay with strategic location! I would stay here again and recommend to friends. Definitely worth the pay.

• 22nd Apr 2015
  • Malaysia

My second time staying here, this time in the biggest dorm. The room was surprisingly quiet and respectful, and the privacy curtains on each bed were brilliant as always. Not all the rooms have had extra power points installed yet, so I mostly had to go sit in the lounge area to charge my phone and laptop. But it's very clean, staff are excellent and friendly, and I'll no doubt be back again next time!

• 21st Apr 2015

Service at the bar was slow and disappointingly closed at 2300 rather than midnight as advertised.

• 21st Apr 2015
  • Scotland

great location,lots of places to eat /shop,very friendly staff

Great place - lots of character. Ended up calling it Hogwarts, Swiss Cottage because of the curtains around the beds, suit of armour on the stairs and imposing looking building. Had everything I needed and was really close to Swiss Cottage tube and buses to Camden and elsewhere. I will stay there whenever I go to London.

• 17th Apr 2015

Dear guest, thanks for the comments. Glad you had a good time with us, and welcome back anytime. Thanks again. Tom

Very good standard, and the best hostel I've stayed at in London. Though it's not super central, I really liked the location for its proximity to Primrose Hill and Camden, and the subway is right there. Comfortable beds that provided privacy despite large dorms, and generally much more space than other London hostels. I will stay here again on my next London visit!

It was nice, but the lack of a real kitchen really hurt it in my opinion. I did like the way they have curtains on all the bunks, and that they're custom made wood and super comfy. One weird thing that really bothered me was the pricing. If I book online it's cheaper than if I book in person. I always book in person at the hostel or over the phone to help give the hostel more money because this site and others take a percentage. I tried to do that here and ended up paying an extra £2 a night.

This hostel was bizarre. Each bed had these weird red velvet 'privacy curtains' which smelt like musky cheesy feet and made you feel like you were sleeping in a coffin. The hostel displays strange, haunting artwork ranging from a half zebra-half horse watercolour to a full suit of armour on the landing. I swear this hostel is haunted by a ghost called Toby. Although there were cleaners in regularly, the hostel never felt clean. This was by far the most perplexing, unnerving experience ever.

Nice central location, nice old fashioned building

• 12th Apr 2015

Best hostel ever!!!!

• 10th Apr 2015
  • Spain

Having never stayed in a hostel before and wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised, although it has been some years since I have slept in a bunk bed!! The only thing I can really fault with the rooms is the lack of air conditioning. We had a couple of warm days during our stay, and the small window in the 4 bedded dorm, was not really sufficient for cooling the room down. This could be a problem if staying during the hot summer months. Other than that, perfect place to stay :)

• 9th Apr 2015