Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

simply great! Maarten

• 30th Jul 2015

Overall it was a very pleasant stay. A bit more information from the staff member checking me in would have been nice, but all other members of staff were very helpful and friendly. When you're in London, that's the place to stay :)

• 29th Jul 2015

My stay at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage was great. It is by far one of the cleanest hostels I have ever stayed at and the bed curtains make all the difference for sleeping in while others are waking up. I made quick friends at the bar and was always meeting new people in the various lounges and public spaces. Great hostel for someone traveling alone.

It's really nice place there. I stayed for 5 nights and it was clean and made me feel really secure. However in the last night the power sockets of our room suddenly had no electricity and they said they would fix the next day. So we spent a night without electricity (but the light still worked). Overall it was a good experience in Palmer lodge, definitely recommend it!

Not many toilets for the amount of rooms, but more or less OK. Beds are very good (not a single noise when using the ladder or getting into the top bed!), and are near two sockets. A bit of noise insulation in the bottom floor doors would be welcome (bar with music until 00:00). Wi-fi was a bit hard to catch from my bed. Great receptionists!

NICE PLACE; QUITE ORIGINAL WITH THE THREE BEDDED BUNK...THE ONLY THING IF I MAY SAY IS IN THE BIG DORM, THE AIR IS NOT REALLY NEWED AND IT IS QUITE WARM EVEN WHEN THE WINDOW IS OPEN

The hostel building is a large historic building that is simply gorgeous with so many pretty nooks and crannies. The showers and toilets were always very clean; I never had to wait for a shower and the water was always hot. The bar and restaurant in the basement were well kept and the lounge had comfortable seating with access to computers and books as well as snacks and coffee/tea. The location was a bit on the outskirts but nearby Tube stations made up for it. A quieter hostel but very nice.

• 23rd Jul 2015
  • Abbi1537

The excellent accommodations were in a surprisingly inexpensive area of London. The nearby restaurants served good food in a welcoming atmosphere for very reasonable prices. I strongly recommend this area for budget travellers.

• 22nd Jul 2015

First time in a hostel, but loved it! Swiss cottage was clean, the staff friendly and super helpful (particularly the bartender and late-night reception), and the atmosphere was great! Made several friends in both the bar and the lounge. Can't say enough about this place-- highly recommended.

• 22nd Jul 2015

The staff was friendly. Most nice hostels will have secure bunk beds or lockers, you shouldn't have to bring your own lock, but you did here. They have the potential to be a very nice place, but they're definitely not there. We stayed in a 12 room mixed dorm. When we opened the door to our room, we were hit by a wall of stinky feet smell. The entire hostel was hot, by especially the dorm room. The window only cracked open a few inches so there wasn't a lot of ventilation.

• 18th Jul 2015

Dear guest, thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. I'm sorry that you didn't feel your room met your expectations. If you inform our staff we have housekeeping staff who are available into the evening and could have taken a look at the room. I would however suggest that taking your own padlock with you when you are staying in a hostel is perfectly normal. Also paying £2 for a good quality is not too much to pay. Thanks again, Tom

Probably a little overpriced for the small size of the room but that is a city-wide issue. Although we had a pleasant stay there were some shortcomings. The room was not thoroughly cleaned before we arrived. The 'ensuite' is so tiny you would struggle to sit on the toilet normally if you were slightly larger than the average person. They changed our towels everyday which was great. The building itself is beautiful. Perhaps with a bit more of an atmosphere or activities it would have been better.

I only stayed for a night, but it was great! Comfortable, clean, and I love the curtains on the beds in the dorms. Great idea that makes it feel a little more private.

Though the location is a tiny bit out of the way, it's only a quick and easy tube ride right to the centre of London. The hostel itself is beautiful and the facilities are clean and fantastic. Bonus points for the wifi working well in every room. Staff was friendly and helpful as well. Would stay again, and would 100% recommend.

• 17th Jul 2015

Idk I guess because I'm from the American South, I'm use to people being friendly, so I was really taken aback here. Everyone was so cold and distant. This place was really expensive and there's no air conditioning in the rooms. It probably isn't normally a problem, but we were going through a heat spell while we were there, so sleeping was rough. If you're in the largest rooms, you'll be in a three story bunk bed (so no problem unless you're afraid of heights). Overall this hostel was okay.

This place was great. Great location. The cleanest hostel, that I´ve ever stayed at. Sometimes hostels get yucky, because many people stay there and use the facilities, but the staff constantly checked toilets and bathrooms and kept them in a very clean standard. Rooms were very nice too. Breakfast was good value. Restaurant menu items, such as the burger were not good. It was just a bun with beef and a little thousand island in it. No lettuce or anything. I´d go back. I´d recommend Palmers.

Easily one of the best hostels I've stayed at, this was my second time at palmers and its a stunning old building kept fantasticly clean. This is how a hostel should run. (Hint if booking a bed in a 18 bed dorm, requesting the mezzanine level beds is best)

Not a great value, my bed was not very comfortable. Also I needed an extra night at the hostel, but they were completely full, so I had to find another place to stay. Maybe a good policy to keep one extra bed for guests that are staying in the hostel but want to stay an additional night or two... Also check in was 2:00 pm, yet check out was 11:00? I had to wait to get into my room after being exhausted and then two mornings later when I was checking out, the maid woke me up around 10...

• 14th Jul 2015

Great location and helpful staff. Easy to find from Heathrow via the Tube. A quieter atmosphere which was very much to my taste. Wifi was weak in dorm rooms, but great in the lounge area. Kitchen facilities were very minimal. Staff regularly cleaned all rooms and bathrooms. I would definitely stay again, great place to unwind.

+ : toilet is cleaned. private concent and light in the bed. - : bed is small. bit far from center but public transport station is close

In the dorm rooms there are not enough lockers for all the people staying in the room. If someone stays there on their own and doesn't have anyone to look after their stuff that is quiet annoying. Beds, toilets and showers are clean and in good condition. Location is great.

thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Actually, every single bed includes a locker, which you just need your own padlock for. We sell these at reception starting at £2. We also have lockers and safes available for rent. Hope you can come visit again. Melanie

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7