Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

I love the curtain around the beds so much. I lived in a 18-people mixed dorm but it is surprising quiet! Every bed has one socket and this is really a friendly feature for people who want some privacy :) Also, everyone can sleep at whatever time they want without being disturbed by the light of the room.

Very nice and helpful staff. The facilities were very nice and cozy but the walls were thin so it was quite noisy.

• 15th Nov 2014
  • Sweden

Hi there and thank you for your review, Apologies for any inconvenience caused. We're sorry to hear you suffered from the noise and we'll look into the room you were staying as to see if we can better sound proof the walls. And we must say that your review made us show our smiles, because it was cute as it rimes :)

This is the smelliest hostel I have ever been to. We told the cleaning staff about the terrible stank in our room, it was as if we slept inside an old shoe made of moist towels, and they did put five or six air fresheners in the room, without much success.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Norway

Hi there and thank you for your review, We are sorry and apologize for any inconvenience caused. Since in a hostel a lot of people come and go daily, we try to keep the place as clean as possible. But it can happen that a backpacker travelling around the world ends up in a shared dorm and his/her small pair of shoes can leave quite an impression. As you could observe, we try to make things better but sometimes it can take up to one day for a strong odor to go away. Kind regards.

Have stayed in much nicer hostels both around London and in Europe. The room was dirty - I dont think they had vacuumed in the last week. The beds were lumpy, there were no shelves for clothes/dry area for changing in the shower area, and the staff were not very accommodating - even though we had emailed and asked to all stay together, they didn't accommodate us but did fit in a group of five French people who arrived at 1am... Would not recommend, would not stay again.

Friendly and welcoming staff. Nice facilities for a hostel and clean. Was very pleased with my stay, although was a short one !

• 14th Nov 2014

Still the best hostel in London. It's very clean and all facilities are modern. The downside is that they have stopped doing free breakfast so now the value for money is now very poor. It's never cheap to get inso unless you have plenty of cash, it isn't budget any more.Maybe they could introduce a free breakfast and upgrade to a very good breakfast if you are feeling free with your money as for 4.50p, you can get very good cooked vreakfasts in London for thesame price.

Best hostel in London in my opinion and I've stayed in a few.

Fantastic stay! Excellent staff. VERY clean :-)

First class accomadation, the term hostel is a bit misleading, very much more comfortable, 5 star in my opinion. I've stayed here numerous times and will never go anywhere else once I'm in London.

Very cool cottage. Liked that the beds had private shades. The wooden lockers were a bit small for larger sized backpacks so floor space became important.

It would be good to have more power points in the rooms, ideally one by each bed. My phone is my alarm clock and I arrived late so couldn't put it in the charging lockers. Also i wasn't asked if I wanted to pay for a towel and never having stayed with you I didn't realise this wasn't included. Personally I think it should be included but at least ask when checking in. Agree that breakfast should be chargeable separately and cleanliness and building very good. Also very quiet which is good.

• 8th Nov 2014

Hi there! Thank you for writing us a review!We are currently working on increase the number of sockets in every room to give enough service to everyone. We appreciatte you took your time to leave your comment. Best regards, Cristian

The hostel and stuff were fine, but I was disappointed with other guests- the atmosphere was poor. People were usually reading a book or sitting with their tablets/ laptops and noone was talking to each other.

• 7th Nov 2014
  • Poland

Overall a great place to stay. It's close to an underground station, but not exactly in the center of London. Staff was nice, good WIFI, and a nice big sitting room. The rooms were ok. I'm not really a fan of the triple-stacked bunk beds but oh well. One thing I didn't like was my locker was tiny and so narrow that I didn't even try to use it (also you need your own lock if you plan on using the lockers). Also, they clean the bathrooms so often that there's barely any time to use them it seems.

• 7th Nov 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.We spend time cleaning the toilets to keep them spotless at all times,I am sorry to hear that this matter supposed a problem for you at that moment.Anyway ,we have bathrooms in every floor to avoid this problems during busy times. :) Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back to our hostel very soon! Sincerely, Cristian.

This is without a doubt the best hostel that I have ever stayed at in London. This was highlighted by the fact that for 1 night last week, I had to sleep in another hostel because Swiss Cottage was full. I had to spend a night at Equity Point, Paddington, which was terrible. What makes Swiss Cottage so nice is privacy curtains on beds, nice lounge with leather sofas, free tea/coffee, free wi-fi, no curfew, great bar and eating area......the place has a nice homely feel, it feels like coming home

This is a wonderful hostel the only thing I would say that needs work is the food at the restaurant I'm not sure if it's apart of the hostel but the food is not good. Also I think they should offer free continental breakfast. Other then that I recommend it.

• 6th Nov 2014

Nice place and clean the staff polite and serious!!

• 5th Nov 2014
  • Spain

Quietness, helpful staff, cosy beds and clean bathrooms help make your choice to stay here again.

• 4th Nov 2014
  • Bulgaria

Great location close to an underground station. Great, friendly, multilingual staff. Good wifi, not the best but does the job. Especially liked the privacy curtains in the dorm rooms - a simple touch that gives you your own space when you need it. Great common space to meet people. Didn't use the bar or restaurant so can't comment - though I heard good things. A pleasant stay.

I would love it for next time I stay there to have some magnets ,keyrings etc with swiss cottage on so I can buy them as a memory of my stay , at this lovely hostel :)

• 1st Nov 2014

great service and hospitality, thanks!

• 31st Oct 2014