Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

One of the prettiest hostels I've stayed in. There is also a restaurant as part of the pub downstairs, which is very convenient. I also liked the idea of having curtains around the individual beds for privacy. I wish I could have stayed longer!

Very clean, decent breakfast, the only problem was space and things always breaking down. One night my outlet didn't work, next the bathroom light, then the wifi, then the coffee machine. Getting the wifi back up did not seem like anyone's priority. Then the space: the 21 person room was not made to fit 21 people plus luggage. There was barely any room for bags in the back half of the room, and the top bunks are hard to maneuver if you are above 5 ft tall.

some conditions had changed from booking to checking in with no notice given. breakfast was extra charge. not enough toilets on ground floor. card payments had a transaction fee.

• 26th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

Hello We did announce and advertise heavily our change to the breakfast policy in May giving our guests 3 months notices before we started the policy change in mid August. We do apologies if you felt mislead.

What's new in August 2014 - the breakfast is no longer free, it's now GBP 4.50 - and although it includes boiled eggs and cold cuts, it's not a good deal - considering that you can get a full English breakfast in Frankie & Benny's in the O2 Centre for just GBP 5 ... The new room in the basement (B04) is a welcome addition - very clean and well insulated for sound ... Otherwise, Palmers Lodge remains the best deal in London for the discerning budget traveller ...

The reception was icy; the music was so loud and the receptionist so uninterested I couldn't litteraly hear a word she was saying. I had to gesture several times pointing at my ears to let her know that I wasn't hearing her. And my hearing is perfectly normal by the way. Then she immediately let me know that breakfast was not included, EVEN THOUGH their webpage said it was. The night receptionist was much better though. No other complaints and the facilities are pretty neat.

• 25th Aug 2014

Great stay! The hostel is quite close to the tube station. I've stayed in 2 different rooms and both were great. You always have your own locker. Although I slept at the top of a triple bunk bed, it was really comfortable, with a proper good ladder. Good intimacy with curtains around beds, a small lamp and even a side table. Bathrooms are regularly cleaned and are comfortable, good water pressure and temperature. Good lounge with comfy sofas and free instant coffee and tea. A place I recommend !

Was a nice cool place to stay for a weekend. Kind of quiet and independent, most people kept to themselves, so it was difficult to meet people. 30 second shower buttons were annoying. Breakfast was handy. Private bed curtains were a nice touch. A bit far from central London, but the subways are very easy to use.

• 22nd Aug 2014

thanks for a nice stay. it was hassle free, convenient, and enjoyable. lots of useful leaflets and brochures around with good ideas for city attractions, and the slips with details of how to get to local airports a great idea.

• 20th Aug 2014

Very poor staff. Made to feel extremely unwelcome.

• 19th Aug 2014

On the homepage it was told that there was a pool billard. But this didn´t exist anymore-unfortunately. It would have been great to have one for the two 15 year old boys. Or darts (away from the bar)

• 18th Aug 2014

Great that it has a bar. The breakfast was fantastic, croissants etc. Would be helpful if the beds had sockets to charge appliances etc. Also: would not advise this hostel for anyone quite large, the ladders to the beds are very very narrow. It's a little out of the way (on the grey metro line - Jubilee i think) but if staying in a beautiful big old building is your thing, it would be worth it. Few more staff needed on reception.

The only reason I choose this hostel was that I had to visit a relative in this neighborhood, but it was a very positive surprise. I will stay there at my next visit for sure.

We booked as a 3, but got split into separate rooms. It would be preferable to all be placed into the same room, even if checking in separately.

Booked this hostel based off the reviews, and I'm glad I chose this one. It's exactly what I was looking for for a weekend trip. I didn't want to spend much money just for a place to sleep/shower and it was very close the tube station. I felt very safe here, it was extremely clean, everyone was friendly, felt like an old Victorian home, had great wifi in my room, beds had curtains for privacy and they had parking for 5 pounds. Very few hostels in London have parking and that was a must for us.

it was good, clean and beautiful young house. But it's a pity that you do a payment for breakfast now it's too expensive for a breakfast.

• 14th Aug 2014

The experience itself was very satisfactory I had no problems with the hostel. Some members of the staff were not very receptive but they were helpful.

There were not enough washbasins to be found on the second floor - unless there were some that I did not find. All the facilitites were cleaned very frequently. There was a problem with socialising that has become sadly very common in all backpacker facilities these days. You now walk into a lounge area - where it used to be so easy to meet interesting people - only to find that every single person in the room is staring into some kind of electonic device. Very depressing.

We really enjoyed the breakfast that was included with our stay and the nice free tea at night.

I didn't spend too much time here, just came back to sleep, so can't comment too much on the atmosphere and all. I wish the staff had explained about the lockers -- not sure if there were any even. I would have liked to lock my things up during the day, but when I checked in they were not mentioned. However, the rest of my experience was good. I stayed in a 12 bed all female dorm and really appreciated the curtains around each bed to provide a bit of privacy.

Two ladies over sixty this was the ideal place to stay Handy to bus and tube high standard of cleanliness and very helpful staff