Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

All in all, a very good Hostel. The building is lovely & the staff very helpful. Having the curtains around the bed for privacy certain helps the sleep factor!

2 minute walk to the tube, nice area lots of people around and felt very safe. Wi-fi was good and was available in the rooms too which was a bonus! Breakfast was great defiantly recommend getting every morning! Curtains on the bunks were also handy for extra privacy and to block out any unwanted light!

• 27th Mar 2014

Too many groups here, mostly young teens on a school trip. Clogging the corridors. French kids appeared to be doing an exorcism, really weird. Made me change rooms in the middle of the stay. Their reason for moving me (along with I think 3 other people) did not make any sense and was unsatisfactory. Did not offer anything for the hassle. I had to ask and do some wrangling to even get them to give me a free locker to use for the day.

Nice hostel in a beautiful old building. Great location close to the tube station. The beds are clean and come with privacy curtains and a small light. Clean showers. Good breakfast. Only downside is that the room in the attic was quite stuffy. Good value for money..

• 24th Mar 2014
  • Czech Republic

We booked a room 8 months beforehand for a business week. We were told the room we booked was not available and we had to stay in a very unpleasant room (number 5) for 5 days. When we saw the room we realised it was very different from the one we were expecting. We did not complain as we thought images on website were misleading. When we saw the room we booked in the remaining 3 days we realised we had been not treated fairly. Room 5 is not worth the money we paid. First time and LAST one at PL.

• 23rd Mar 2014

The location is near the Swiss Cottage Underground.They serve a free breakfast which I liked. The staff was not friendly and this made me glad I was switching hostels halfway through my trip. I had to wait in line to brush my teeth and go the the bathroom. If you decide to book a room I would recommend booking a room with a bathroom in the room to avoid this situation.

Palmers Lodge was fantastic. I would definitely stay there again. My friend and I had a great experience and enjoyed our stay.

• 22nd Mar 2014

I was in a mixed dorm... two nights I was the only girl in a room full of men. Not a very good feeling. Couldn't sleep for three nights in a row due to snoring... when I left I slept till NOON because I was so exhausted. Also, my camera bag "disappeared" while staying here... just wasn't the best experience for a hostel. The decor is beautiful, it's artsy and interesting... but I feel like they forgot to be NICE to guests!

• 21st Mar 2014

We had an ensuite, which was okay but very small. The staff didn't seem very familiar with the local area, which we found out, by asking were there where a breakfast restaurent. The receptionist knew one, but it was closed on sundays. Afterwords we found one ourselves, 200 m from the hostel...! They were also more found of speaking spanish with eachother, so i almost felt i had gone to madrid and not london. Breakfast was very boring, as for why we wanted to find a breakfast place.

I have stayed here before and it was just as good this time. The breakfast is great and the rooms are clean and comfortable. It's a good sized locker in the room which was useful. It would be nice to have some hooks and a mirror in the rooms but otherwise all good.

Palmers at Swiss Cottage was a great place to stay. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was really good. The facility was all very clean. I was traveling alone and felt safe the whole time I was there. There are also a lot of good places to eat nearby. There are several bus lines and the Tube station Swiss Cottage are all within a short 5 minute walk and will take you anywhere you need or want to go. I would stay here again.

Really cool hostel, the beds are a bit small though.

very nice hostel

• 15th Mar 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend - in fact I already have!

• 15th Mar 2014

I will never forget my stay at Palmers Lodge. It was the best hostel I've stayed at. The staff were fantastic, the facility itself is just mind-blowing and it was a great place to meet people. During my stay I fell pretty ill from food poisoning and in a desperate attempt to try and find help, Eduardin, at reception, went completely out of his way to make sure I was okay. I wouldn't expect this treatment at most hostels, I felt extremely lucky. Thank you so much for having me!

This was a very good accommodation for the price. I was impressed with the organization of the hostel and the open helpfulness of the staff. I would stay there again and again.

• 14th Mar 2014

Still working on guest kitchen. Will probably not return.

Your staff was good at accommodating me during my stay. A few in my group ran into not quite as professional encounters with staff, but they were all fairly young so hopefully they'll take better care in the future. I did miss the guest kitchen that was just starting to be worked on when I left. We thought it would be completed before we arrived.

Close to underground (zone 2). staff very nice! Breakfast was good and the place is very pretty.

Things Fall Apart, says the title of Chinua Achebe's best-known novel. So, apparently, does Palmer's Lodge. Deterioration since I last stayed there a few months ago stunned me. I brought a group of 14 based on previous experience there. Wrong move. The staff was inefficient and sometimes rude. Lights and electricity points at bedside did not work -- and were not fixed despite pleading. And the place was in chaos because of renovation. I was promised a guest kitchen would be installed, It wasn't.