Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

Very clean bathrooms! Nice atmosphere, can't complain! The room was a bit too warm but didn't mind that during a very cold weekend.

It was a great place for my group and I to leave our stuff while we went out and was a good place to sleep. We loved the location. The beds weren't the most comfortable, but we felt safe and enjoyed our time there. We're planning on booking there again when we go back to London!

Great hostel. Only ten minutes from Camden Town by bus and the underground will take you to central London in no time!

• 19th Mar 2015
  • Denmark

Staff was very unfriendly not helpful at all. Dorm rooms are set up terribly for late arrivals as you walk right in to the sleeping area. Couldn't fit suitcase into the locker below the bed, which didn't have a lock which wasn't clear online. Rooms did not look like what was posted on the website. Our key was very finicky and barely worked. The area to store luggage is not secure at all. Woke up at 7:30 because it was so loud.

The music from the bar could be heard in the dorms at night

It was too cold at night that I had to wear every clothes I had and get some tea. The shower system was automatic stop(30sec), so it was inconvenient. Also, kids kept making noises. Other than that, it was alright.

The area was really nice. I liked the old charm of the building. Not the most comfortable beds, but overall good value.

• 17th Mar 2015

The only negative thing I have to say is that the shared bathroom/Showeroom could have been more clean, but with multiple people sharing one restroom throughout the day, it's to be expected. Other than that this hostel was excellent! Will definitely stay again.

• 14th Mar 2015

Dear guest, thank you for your comments, we do understand that the bathroom can get busy however our housekeepers are very dedicated. Welcome back any time. Thanks, Tom

Bathroom not very convenient. The hostel and the hall particularly was beautiful.

dear guest, thank you for your feedback. We understand that the bathrooms can get busy at peak times. We recommend to try to avoid these times, or look for bathroom nearby. Thanks, Tom

Palmer's Lodge was the first hostel I've ever stayed in, and it was a pleasure. Every staff member I encountered was cheerful, helpful, and fun. Met some really awesome people, and the place was extremely clean. I was very happy with my experience.

• 11th Mar 2015

Dear guest, we are very happy to give you a positive experience on your first stay in a hostel!! Feel free to come back anytime. Tom

I would happily stay at this hostel again. It is in a nice location at Swiss Cottage and offered everything you would need from a hostel. Clean, secure, friendly staff.

I had a good nights stay and would definatly recommend it to friends and family.

• 10th Mar 2015
  • New Zealand

Thanks for the recommend, come back and stay again anytime! Tom

Griffin at the downstairs bar was really friendly and played top notch sounds

Thanks for the feedback, your comment will be passed to Griff :) Glad you enjoyed the sounds. Tom

The 12 bed female dorm on the 1st floor was really cramped, there is nowhere to put suitcasesand it was so overpriced. It's only suitable if you are travelling with a very small bag. The 21 bed female dorm in the attic was far superior, with mostly single beds, plenty of space and surprisingly quiet at night. Cleanliness is excellent except they don't change the duvet covers between guests.The kitchen didn't have plates or anything. A fully-equipped self-catering kitchen would be much better.

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. If you wish to contact us ahead of your stay then you can request which room you would like to stay in. The cutlery and the plates etc are stored in the bar which is open all day for you to use. Thanks again for your comments. Tom

The place was awesome. Merry so many awesome people including all the staff. Mauro and liis are the best! Have Cody show you around and you're guaranteed a good time. showers sucked though. Some were better than others.

Dear guest, thank you for taking time to leave feedback. Glad that you enjoyed yourself here. We are in the process of upgrading the showers, perhaps why some are better than others. Thanks again for the comments, Tom

I like the curtain which makes every bed private, but sockets are few and they are only behind certain beds, which is not convenient at all.

All the facilities were very nice, clean and welcoming. A great place to relax and settle into London a bit if you already have some friends and things to do around the city. Unfortunately the atmosphere is a bit stale due to long term guests hanging around in their own groups and job seekers everywhere so not the best hostel for meeting new people. Perhaps this changes during summer time. Overall really happy with my stay, would definitely return.

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us on the whole. Actually the atmosphere in the hostel does develop over time, we have introduced a policy restricting longer stays, which we hope will keep the atmosphere fresh. Anyway, thank you again for your comments. Tom

Overall this was a good hostel. The beds are curtained, but mine was missing one. There were no other available beds, so I was glad to have brought a blanket, which I draped over the uncovered end, else I would have been very exposed. There were no obvious places for girls to get ready for the day, such as mirrors and counters for stuff. The bathroom would benefit from more shelving and mirrors. It was super crowded getting ready at peak times.

• 4th Mar 2015

Dear guest, thank you for leaving us some feedback. Apologies about the missing shower. We look to fix issues like this as soon as we are aware of them. We understand about the peak times with the bathrooms, however due to the nature of the building it is not easy to arrange major works to change it. We are always looking to improve and I will certainly be looking to arrange more mirrors and shelves. again thanks for your comments. Tom

Very good frame and personnal, everyone would like this hostel, it's not expensive at all with a very correct quality. The only problem was that I didn't like to put one pound at the snooker and after that the personnal said to me that they hadn't any cues to play. I had to play with some kind of big spoons. Please, buy some cues or at least, prevent the clients on the snooker before they pay for it.

• 4th Mar 2015

Hi there, We are really sorry to hear about that. We do have spare cues actually and in case of not having we should have refunded your money. We are going to investigate further about this as it is not correct how your issue was handled. We apologize again for the inconvenience caused. Kind regards

I really didn't think this hostel lived up to the raving reviews others gave. The location of the hostel is pretty good being close to the Swiss Cottage tube station, but that was about the only good thing. The staff didn't have good suggestions of things to do and were unhelpful when I was trying to figure out how to get to the airport. Overpriced breakfast. Toilets and shower were fairly clean, but no where to hang your stuff in the shower so everything gets wet. Not great.

Dear guest, I'm sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectations. We do try to offer a wide range of things to do however sometimes peoples tastes are not the same. Every communal shower has hooks on the door. We offer a buffet breakfast where you can help yourself to croissant, pain aux chocolate, muffins, toast with ham and cheese, as well as boiled egg. This with tea and coffee and fruit juices, all available for just £4.50. I hope if you come again you would not be dissappointed.