Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

Really liked this hostel, was my favourite one of my trip so far.

This place was great to stay in, friendly, helpful staff, facilities cleaned frequently - the only downside attempting to time a shower in between the facilities being closed for cleaning (not a huge one for me as I'd prefer to shower in a clean bathroom!) and the bed was fairly comfortable. Definitely value for money!

It was very convenient located even though it was a little far. The trains and buses were at the corner and the commute from and to the airport was easy. Thank you

• 14th Apr 2014

This place is much better than other hostels, that I've seen or stayed in London. I enjoyed to stay there and highly recomend it.

• 12th Apr 2014
  • Israel

Excellent place with a special atmosphere!!

Really nice place to stay if I'm ever in London again that's where I'd stay

Hi ! Thanks for your feedback - We are glad to hear you had a great experience here at Palmers Lodge. Please come back soon!

Sadly Palmers (swiss cottage) is not the same as it was when we visited a few yrs back.. for example, the bar has been moved and has lost its vibe. Staff are friendly but no where as friendly as previous staff. We met people from all of the world in a great atmosphere last time. This time no one spoke to anyone....! Cramped and felt rushed too for the lack of seating at breakfast time. Overall could have been worse, but I think we'll seek alternate accom next time.

I loved my stay! I will be recommending this place to any friends that travel to the UK

this Hostel was great. it is very big but still they manage it to keep it very clean. the next Substation is only 5 minutes away and you will be in the Center of London in less than 15 minutes. Camden is very close too (. 30 Minute walk). i really enjoyed staying in this Hostel.one think i didnt like that much is that they dont have a Kitchen were you can cook your own food at ( only one microwave)

The place was very clean and the private room we rented had everything we needed for our one night we spent in London. One thing I was a bit annoyed about is that the hostel didn't have a charger to borrow. We had a charger for southern Europe, but not London. I wish there was a charger to borrow for 40 mins at reception instead of forcing people to buy it. Overall, good experience, but a bit pricey.

• 11th Apr 2014

We stayed there for 3 day.v ery friendly and helpful receptioners, good croissants, cheap food at the restaurant of the hotel.A 2 minute tube ride from the centre and 5 min walk from the hotel to the bus station for the aeroports I recommend it to everybody who wants a budget trip to London Olga

• 11th Apr 2014
  • Romania

Dear guest, Thanks for the lovely review!! Please come back soon!

If you stay at a weekend be aware that people will be coming back from a night out and even when trying to, won't be as quiet as when sober and on a normal day. I have stayed before midweek and enjoyed it - this time at a weekend over two different rooms I hardly slept at all, and gave up to stay elsewhere on the third night.

This is my first time in Europe and my first time ever staying in a hostel. I was nervous at first but truly enjoyed my stay here. I stayed in the 12 bedroom female dorm. It was small but cozy... the bunks had privacy curtains which I thought was a great feature to keep out unwanted light. Also inside the bunk was and outlet, a light and a small cubby/shelf, this was so convenient. I was able to have a little room inside a room. I could shut the curtain and have everything I need next to me.

• 9th Apr 2014

Good place near a subway stop. Rooms are pretty dark, even during the day. Good breakfast.

It could have been more mirrors in the bathroom. Because the mirror was over the sink, this space had to be given to people washing heir hands and brushing their teeth. I missed a mirror where I could just fix my hair and make up. The lamp over the mirror in the bedroom didn't work properly, so it was too dark. I also missed somewhere I could put my things in the bathroom, as the floor always was very wet. I loved the lounge and the bar/dining room. The bed was also great.

• 8th Apr 2014
  • Norway

There was an old woman yelling all the time in our room. I have no idea why she has been allowed to stay in a hostel... Complaining it was noisy (in a 18 beds room) and too hot. I think it's the only thing that bothered me really.

I stayed for one night in a weekend full of gallery visits, pulling a solidly diurnal schedule. I was here for sleep, and this was a mistake. A massive window ensured a lack of sleep-friendly darkness. Sound passed straight through the walls. The sound? Other people in the hostel, playing music both recorded and from an acoustic guitar, shouting in the corridors. The place seems okay if you want to hang out there and don't care about sleep. If you're doing daylight things, , go elsewhere.

Thank you for your comment! We are sorry to hear about your experience,our hostel is meant to be a family-sleep friendly place.There is no place for any kind of noise inside the rooms at night. If you let reception know at the same moment you are having that problem,we would be able to cut it straightaway. Thank you again for your review and hope you could give us another chance in the future,you will not be dissapointed. Best regards, Cristian.

Fantastic hostel!! Great atmosphere, location, security etc., but what really makes it is the staff. In particular, Sofi really showed me how to make the most of my time in London - amazingly knowledgable, enthusiastic and helpful in every possible way. Thank you Sofi! Great bar/restaurant downstairs too - Angie is brilliant, really social and talkative and sets an amazing atmosphere that I've never seen in other hostels. A great base for seeing London and the staff make it feel homely.

eventually to little space in the bathrooms. quite busy in the morning.

Best hostel ever. I travel a lot but I've never found such a combination of cosy and comfortable beds, clean toilets and kitchen plus a lovely lounge with free coffee and room for all. Moreover, it's walking distance from Buckingham Palace...