Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

It was very nice. The breakfast is excellent !

Nice old ex-mansion in a good location.Good value for the money in this part of London easy to acess via public transport. My main disappointment was the breakfast.I know it's budget but an offering of something hot(even at cost)would have been a nice option. But on the whole you can't complain at the cost in this area of London. I did like the sitting/reading area nice atmosphere. Thank you.

• 1st Mar 2014

I had a great stay at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage. The staff was very friendly, the atmosphere was very cosy and with great shared facilities.

• 28th Feb 2014
  • Denmark

They are ALWAYS cleaning the bathrooms. Which is such a nice treat for hostels. You never have to worry about getting into a shower that's filled with hair and grime from the last 8 people. Please keep this great work up. Staff is always very friendly and helpful. The only downside is it's. Bit far from Central London. But way better than other hostels in London. Near two tube lines and great bus service makes it easy to get around.

Great atmosphere and lovely staff!

As a mature woman needing affordable, safe accommodation whilst studying midweek, in london, the hostel provided everything I needed and surpassed my expectations. I will be returning on a regular basis.

• 25th Feb 2014

Great price that included breakfast and Wifi, friendly, beds made and comfortable, makes London more affordable.

• 24th Feb 2014

Security is good, you need keycards everywhere. Location is not so good, but it has a metro station close as always. Staff are indifferent and people are numbers. Atmosphere is cool, lots of young people. Cleanliness is great, bathrooms are cleaned 6 times a day. Facilites are not so good: there are not enough toilets, definetly. Every time you want to use it, be prepared to wait 20 minutes. Lots of people sharing the dorms (28 beds!), so it is hard to get the rooms organized and silenced.

I really love this place, be carefull some bedrooms are really tiny but others are great! Lovely place & great staff!

• 23rd Feb 2014

2nd stay at this hostel. Great atmosphere from the off, all but one of the reception staff were nice and helpful at all times. One seemed tired and grumpy a few times. Beds comfy,my request taken into account, lots of space, WiFi great and lots of different people to meet. Felt very secure As a lone female...location is in a great place very near the tube and lots of amenities around.

Car park was always free, since 1st March you have to pay £ 5/day which I don't think it's a reasonable charge for the nature of customers that choose to stay in a hostel.

Lovely old building, great value especially for the location, plus basic breakfast included! However the downside was, there were lots of kids staying there who were very noisy and immature through early hours of morning - so not ideal if you're anything other than a very deep sleeper! (by the way this was on the top floor in a private room, away from dorms, so would not expect such a terrible night's sleep.

• 20th Feb 2014

One of the best hostels I've stayed at in London! Really nice staff, the facilities were nice and they cleaned them often, breakfast was excellent for a hostel! One bad thing: the bathrooms are shared between men and women (with private toilets and showers within). It would have been much more comfortable and convinient with one bathroom for women and one for men on each floor, for example! It's a bit far off from the centre (10 mins on the tube), but DEFINITELY worth it considering the rest!

• 20th Feb 2014
  • Sweden

Dear guest, Thank you for your review and your kind words! We also wanted to let you know for the next time that we have one bathroom in the hostel which is female only. So in case you come back the next time your stay will hopefully be better :) Kind regards

Better than some hotels stayed in

• 18th Feb 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

My first time in this hostel. I really like the pod beds with curtains; almost like a mini room. The building is pretty and there is a very nice, big lounge. Downside is that there is not much of a kitchen. Kitchen staff barked at me when I tried to wash my dishes. I should have known that leaving them dirty was the done thing…. Checking in took a long time as well. I would stay at this hostel again though. Good location and fascilities.

Only problem is the lottery of whether other gusts will be considerate dorm dwellers. Early Sunday morning, 6.30am, two guests get up and do all their packing while whispering conversation, turning on the main room light and leaving it on when they leave. Couldn't they do most packing the night before? Couldn't they shift out of the room quietly and efficiently with all their stuff and re-pack outside the room? Can't we have silence until 8am on a weekend?

• 15th Feb 2014

Staying at Palmers Lodge is always great! The place itself, the location, the decoration... it's perfect. I keep recommending it to friends. Keep up the good work! The staff was good but I think they could me more friendly. Maybe they are trying not to bother you but they don't talk much to customers, unless they're requested to do so. I guess this will depend on people. I would prefer if, at least at the reception, the staff were more talkative when you walk in or out of the hostel facilities

The room was really clean and spacious. I liked the free internet and free breakfast in the morning. The staff did indicate me about the attractions near by and how to get there! The hostel itself was really clean and only a minute from the tube station. Very raccomended

• 13th Feb 2014

Really cozy and clean! Just two really small things... You should install some more shelfs or hooks in the bathrooms. Impossible to store your clothes while you shower. Also it wold be good to have a electric socket at all beds. Otherwise awesome! Will return!

• 11th Feb 2014
  • Sweden

This hostel is really cool! I stay in the 28 mixed dorm and it wasn't bad. It locates near the Swiss Cottage tube station and restaurants just nearby.The only thing made me feel uncomfortable is the bathroom is for both female and male.