Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

A visit to this fine, Brideshead-revisited, waterpfroof, unflappable Palmers Lodge at Swiss Cottage is anyone's palpable reward for making this the serious best choice in London. Lay down that plastic - and say, "bed me down Palmers" - and also activate an equally indispensable Transport for London "Oyster Card" at the Swiss Cottage station a mere block away - and nothing about London can or will go anything but tip top.

The curtain attached to the each bed was good for privacy, but at the same time man effort to make friends among the residents. The space in the dorm was so small that I almost felt claustrophobia in the room. Bed room was overall very clean, but the dorm stank so bad. It came from floor carpet, bed curtain, and laundries from residents. Good quality for the money given the cost of living in London. But personally I wasn't all that enjoyable place for me.

My first time staying in hostels and it was a great experience no more hotels for me. Palmer Lodge Swiss Cottage was in a great location and will certainly be recommending it to friends travelling to London.

This hostel is fantastic for comfort, charm, and friendly staff! The women's dorm was in the attic, and filled with rustic wooden beams. Each curtained bunk had it's own reading light, and the under-bunk drawers moved very quietly because they were on castors. There wasn't tons of space for luggage, and you couldn't easily pass by if someone had their drawer open. The pretty orange duvets, matching curtains, and 24-hour tea room were awesome. Also, plenty of clean toilets and showers.

The "smokers" area expanded at night to right outside my basement room window. The men were loud and out late (3:00 a.m. one night). The shower signs said they were on a 30-second timer, but it was really 10 seconds. A small bench would be helpful in the shower so things don't get wet on the floor. The dorm rooms could use more outlets, 2 per bunk would be ideal. The wi-fi network was slow & unreliable. Signs about noise & courtesy in multiple languages would also be helpful.

very warm, friendly and welcoming staff /plus very clean. thanks

• 4th Oct 2013
  • Wales

Great relaxing stay while visiting London. My only request would not to be in the basement rooms because the bar can be a bit noisy.

Hello. thank you for your feedback. It's nice to know you enjoyed your stay with us. As it is not a party hostel it is unusual to get noisy, but most of the time the bar is mora a chill out area. We hope to have you around again sometime!

It is absolutely beautiful. Great location near the underground station. Loved our stay.

It's a great place to meet interesting people!!!i love it!

Very clean and extremely nice for a hostel - the ONLY downside (and this pertains only if youre a very social person) is that people were not too friendly and in a state of making friends - but this is not a party hostel, so its kind of expected. Overall, excellent place, would stay there again for sure.

• 1st Oct 2013

hello. Thank you for your nice comment. About the social aspect, we are always thinking of ways to make it more easy for everyone to meet each other. Hope to see you again someday!

Maybe I had bad luck. Room 101 had very bad smell. At night I suffered from the bad air and snoring room mates.

• 1st Oct 2013

hello. thank you for your comment. We're sorry your stay wasn't as good as expected for the reason you mentioned, as it ususally is not the case. Anyway, we'll try to work out a way of preventing such a situation (the smell I mean, as the snoring is a a bit harder to prevent). See you back someday!

Curtains make the difference here, but a door that doesnt lock or close was the only downfall.

I didn't like the bathroom facilities

• 30th Sep 2013

Hello. Thank you for your feedaback. We're sorry the bathrooms weren't as good as you expected, but we make a great effort to keep them clean at all times. We hope you enjoyed everything else in your stay.

Hostel is in a great location and has the usual hostel vibe with plenty of people around. I stayed in an 18 person dorm, however I still found it very spacious and a perk to the room was the curtains attached to each bunk which meant more privacy. The two floors in the room meant the upstairs felt quieter as away from the door. All facilities were in good condition and I would definitely recommend if looking for a quirky and excellently priced hostel in London.

The hostel was busy and though it took fifteen minutes by tube to get there, it was nice to not be in the direct center of the city's hustle and bustle. Would've been nice to have a kitchen instead of a bar and restaurant and there were lots of guests so the free morning breakfast was a bit crowded and confusing. The menu for the restaurant wasn't very well signed or easily posted. All in all, the place was clean and the rooms were quiet and private.

Hello! Thank you for your feedback. We are now working on a guest kitchen solution which we believe it will be a good upgrade for our service. About the free breakfast, we do have some rush hours for that... probably because of the delicious croissants :) see you back someday!

Thanks Palmers Lodge for a comfortable friendly stay.. and that with so many travellers passing your desk. Appreciated!

• 29th Sep 2013

hello. Thank you so much for the nice comment. We are in fact busy, but we love it. A full house is part of the fun. See you back someday!

I can´t tell enough about this hostel! Very, very clean, excellent atmosphere, friendly staff and excellent infrastructure! Small things that make your life easier, like hooks on the beds and showers and curtains around the beds to give you privacy. The locality is not what people would call very good, as it´s not close to a busy night neighborhood, but it´s very close to the underground and to food shops. I´ve been to loads of hostels, but never ever like in this one! Definitely recommend it!!

hello! Thank you so much for your nice comment... it really makes us want to keep improving ourselves. We're glad you had such a good experience. We hope to have you back someday!

love the maps n travelling tips on the wall everywhere in the hostel!

very nice hostel, privacy curtains on beds one of the best things ever: it blocks out almost any light and really makes it much easier to stay in an 18 person dorm. Staff incredibly helpful and friendly: answered all of my questions hceerfully and did a great job recommending different places.I will stay here again, because 1) it's a good experience, 2) great location, 3) secure for a woman traveling alone, and 4) actually amazing value (free bfast, location, security, atmosphere, etc).

This is my third time to stay at Palmer's Lodge Swiss Cottage. All three experiences were magnificent . There's only one thing regarding my last stay there. It is about the lift being out of order. Having my room on the second floor was a bit of a burden. As I had to carry my luggage which were very heavy upstairs.

• 28th Sep 2013
  • Egypt

hello! Thank you for your comment. The lift was out of order in that day but quickly fixed. However, I understand the inconvenience. Hope next time everything is perfect for you!