Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

I stayed for one night in a weekend full of gallery visits, pulling a solidly diurnal schedule. I was here for sleep, and this was a mistake. A massive window ensured a lack of sleep-friendly darkness. Sound passed straight through the walls. The sound? Other people in the hostel, playing music both recorded and from an acoustic guitar, shouting in the corridors. The place seems okay if you want to hang out there and don't care about sleep. If you're doing daylight things, , go elsewhere.

Thank you for your comment! We are sorry to hear about your experience,our hostel is meant to be a family-sleep friendly place.There is no place for any kind of noise inside the rooms at night. If you let reception know at the same moment you are having that problem,we would be able to cut it straightaway. Thank you again for your review and hope you could give us another chance in the future,you will not be dissapointed. Best regards, Cristian.

eventually to little space in the bathrooms. quite busy in the morning.

• Austria

Best hostel ever. I travel a lot but I've never found such a combination of cosy and comfortable beds, clean toilets and kitchen plus a lovely lounge with free coffee and room for all. Moreover, it's walking distance from Buckingham Palace...

• Sweden

I had a very pleasant, convenient stay. The staff were very helpful and polite. The facilities are good, bed was comfortable. Breakfast is good. Place is clean and in good order. The hotel staff & manager should be very pleased with what an outstanding job they do. Well done Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage!

• Scotland

I found the hostel very good value for my money. The location is good, the beds are actually stable and the curtains gave some privacy if you wanted it. I would definitely stay here again if I travel to London.

• 3rd Apr 2014
  • Finland

Very clean and nice Hostel

• 3rd Apr 2014

Male staff quite unfriendly. Good location and facilities, although no kitchen. Beds are good in terms of privacy. Not a very social atmosphere

• 2nd Apr 2014

Thank you for your comment! We are sorry to hear about your experience,our staff members are known to be really helpful and friendly,but we've reported this problem anyway. We've just finished our new self cathering kitchen for the use and enjoyment of our guests,and we've also changed our bar to a new location,and it defintely is much more lively! Thank you again for your review and hope you could give us another chance in the future,you will not be dissapointed. Regards, Cristian

I almost would have put average on the value for money but I do understand it's London and that's expensive. Location and the included breakfast, coffees & free Wifi makes up for the price-value balance against the three-bunk high beds in the 12-bed dorm you still pay almost 30 quid a night for... pity they're not full-size one person mattresses which make for some cramped up sleeping as a 1.82m tall girl ;)

• 2nd Apr 2014

For a hostel I thought palmer lodge was great. It was very basic but it was clean. The is a bar and restaurant down stairs with was very nice and fairly cheap. The breakfast was basic but it was nice. I would stay again.

• 2nd Apr 2014

We stayed in a private double room with an ensuite for three nights and felt very safe and secure. Swiss cottage is a very nice area and the hostel is close to the tube so it is easy to get around. The rooms were very clean; the bathroom had a slight bleach smell which assured us it was cleaned thoroughly. One of the girls at the front desk was new to London so she couldn't help us with any questions we had (tube tickets, places to eat etc.). Also the free breakfast consisted of mouldy bread!

Staff not very friendly.

• 1st Apr 2014

Thank you for your comment! We are sorry to hear about your experience,our staff members are known to be really helpful and friendly,but we've reported this problem anyway to help us to be on top of it. Thank you again for your review and hope you could give us another chance in the future,you will not be dissapointed. Best regards, Cristian.

Love the place, very friendly staff, nice and clean beds/ showers/ toilets, great!:

When we checked in the front desk was very rude. Then the bartender downstairs left and didn't come back for over half an hour, making it impossible to order drinks. The light in our room never worked, we were there for two days and let the front desk know the first day we arrived. As much as we were paying for the room it's totally unacceptable that the only light in the room not work when we arrive, let alone not be looked at for several days. Poor service all around, super disappointed.

• 31st Mar 2014

This is more like a hotel for backpackers: clean bathrooms & toilets (unisex), no real kitchen, a big lounge and reception.. I had a good enough sleep though, I was in a 10-bed female dorm, and every bed had a reading light with curtains, which gave a little bit of privacy. I had to leave early so missed out on breakfast. Good wifi reception in the dorm. Bit further out of town though, and a bit more expensive. Still, not bad. Didn't really like the staff much. Oh and prepare to pay for extras.

I was already abroad when I booked online & found that this place was just okay. I was in a 14-bed all-female dorm in basement. Space was very limited in the room. There wasn't really anywhere to pull a suitcase out, so I wouldn't recommend staying for more than a day or two at a time. The lockers provided roll out from under the beds & are good for smaller items such as purses & backpacks, but that's about it. Some of the staff were less-than-friendly, save for the bartender, who was nice.

• 29th Mar 2014

Great location and value. I especially appreciated the cleanliness of the linen and washrooms. The bunk bed frame was dusty and not great for people with dust allergy like me, so if a little more attention could be paid to details like this, my stay would have been even better. Overall, a good hostel!

• 28th Mar 2014

Best Hostel in London.

All in all, a very good Hostel. The building is lovely & the staff very helpful. Having the curtains around the bed for privacy certain helps the sleep factor!

2 minute walk to the tube, nice area lots of people around and felt very safe. Wi-fi was good and was available in the rooms too which was a bonus! Breakfast was great defiantly recommend getting every morning! Curtains on the bunks were also handy for extra privacy and to block out any unwanted light!

• 27th Mar 2014

Too many groups here, mostly young teens on a school trip. Clogging the corridors. French kids appeared to be doing an exorcism, really weird. Made me change rooms in the middle of the stay. Their reason for moving me (along with I think 3 other people) did not make any sense and was unsatisfactory. Did not offer anything for the hassle. I had to ask and do some wrangling to even get them to give me a free locker to use for the day.