Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

I had a nice stay at this hostel. Our room was large enough that it didn't feel cramped, even with 12 people in it, and the curtains around each bed allowed for good privacy. The bathroom was a bit small for that many people to share, but there were never any problems with crowding. The hostel is located a short ways out of the city, but as long as you don't mind taking the tube or bus it's not a hassle to get there. The atmosphere was more like that of a hotel, due to the size of the hostel.

Very good

The curtains on the bed couldnt be moved, making sure no one could interact with fellow bunk mates even if they wanted to. Staff were friendly and helpful, the bar and food was great. No complaints but nothing great to compliment about either! Was a good stay.

This is far and away the best hostel I have stayed in! The location is terrific - near to buses and the Tube. The building is wonderful, and it was great to be able to use the lounge area and take advantage of the free tea. My bed was comfy and sturdy, right up in the eaves, but fine and I really wasn't disturbed by the person in the bottom bunk at all. The bathroom facilities were great, and everywhere was nice and clean (except for abandoned mugs left all over the place). Thank you!!

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback. It's always good to hear positive experiences. We may have to be a bit quicker at collecting the left mugs however! If you come back through London then come back and stay. Thanks again, Tom

I've been on a month long trip so far traveling Europe. This hostel is the best one I've stayed in! Friendly staff, awesome atmosphere, and great location. If I return to London, this is where I will stay.

• 16th Jun 2015

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! Hopefully you can come again in the future for another visit! All the best with your future travels

For my purpose (sleep only one night) was ok.

Hello! We do all we can to ensure guests will have a good night's sleep, inlcuding privacy curtains in the larger dorms. But we also encourage them to socialize and engage with each other. To this end we have a bustling bar and restaurant open in the evenings which is great for meeting new people over a game of pool or darts. We are also close to several major attractions and areas of London, and a quick chat with our reception staff will give you places of interest to visit nearby.

My room really smelled- and it wasn't just a hostel smell, other rooms were not like that. It was not pleasant at all! Besides that all was good- nice to be so close to tube!

Awesome stay, lovely staff. Very cool place would 100% stay again

• New Zealand

Awesome looking hostel, very clean and excellent showers! Felt like I was in Harry Potter!

• 12th Jun 2015

An amazing hostel! Would highly recommend staying at Palmers Lodge. I spent two nights here this weekend staying in female only dorm with 21 beds. The building is beautiful and very secure. Facilities are great and the public spaces (lounge/bar) are really homely - nice to have somewhere to relax. Its cleaned really regularly so bathrooms always clean. All the beds are curtained off so you feel you have some privacy. Staff really friendly. I would definately stay here again.

• 12th Jun 2015

Beautiful building, loads of character! I found most of the staff to be very friendly, special mention to Morgan. DO NOT USE THE LAUNDRY FACILITIES! The spin cycle does not work, and after asking for help from a staff member there, she just told me I had to pay all that extra to dry my clothes & towel. She's utterly unhelpful and obviously in the wrong business. Don't be put off though, everyone else was so lovely! Excellent toilet & shower facilities, never had to queue once! Overall great stay

• 10th Jun 2015
  • Jenniferlee89

You are great. Keep it up.

• 9th Jun 2015
  • Malaysia

Stayed in an 14 bed female dorm. Curtains around beds appreciated. Bathroom a bit crowded at 'rush hour'. Kitchen is VERY small and no cooking facilities except microwave. Close to tube station. Nice warm showers. Free coffee and tea in lounge. Good internet connection. Nice outside sitting area in the bar that can be used by everyone.

Hostels can be hit and miss depending on who is in your room with you, but I had a very pleasant stay. I love the character of the building and the free tea and lounge. I didn't visit the bar, but it was a nice option as well as the restaurant.

• 8th Jun 2015

An architectural gem in a nice, quiet neighbourhood. Very friendly and helpful staff!

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay here! Hope you can come in the future!

Overall, good place to stay. It was kept very clean (bathrooms in particular), which I highly appreciate. The location of the hostel is ok - not bad, but not great either - however, it is close to the tube so it is easy to get around the city from here. The room I was in was near the bar, however the noise was mostly kept under control - even if the bar was loud, the noise level in the room was still low. Ultimately, I would stay here again.

• 6th Jun 2015

Dear guest, thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback. We always appreciate to hear back from guests whether it was a good or bad experience. We do try to balance keeping a fun atmosphere in the bar without causing too much disturbance to other guests. We hope you get a chance to stay with us next time. Thanks again, Tom

The dorms are still great and spacious. The cooking facilities seem to get more sparse year by year; the kitchen is tiny and cramped and there aren't even any sharp knives around (bring your army knife if you want to cut into an apple). I suppose they want to encourage people to use their restaurant - if the music wasn't as loud and obnoxious as it was, I might have. I might be too old. Still, it's a beautiful place with a great location and good value for London.

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are sorry to hear you were not wholly satisfied with your stay. It is unfortunate that our cooking facilities are not larger, though we have taken steps recently to attempt to improve and expand the overall facilities available. We do like to encourage guests to go out and explore the city, and expect that not every guest will wish to cook for themselves. We are happy to also provide our restaurant and bar as an option to enjoy London

I'd really liked the hostel, BUT when you arrive at an hostel with your boyfriend and the stuff tells you, that a double booking occurred and you now have to sleep in a private bunk bed room, you really get disappointed. The only offer was that we get free breakfast. I booked so long in advance, cause it was present, so I would have been happy when somebody could have told us about the mistake before, so that we would have had the chance to look for an other hostel. The house is super lovely!!

Hello! thanks for this feedback. Apologies once again for the situation which moved you from a double to a twin room. These situations arise very occasionally and we always try our best to minimize the impact on our guests. We offered the complementary breakfast as a compensation for the change of room type and inconvenience, but we would always encourage you to come speak to the manager if you remain unsatisfied. We hope you can come stay again and have a better experience in the future

really enjoyed my stay in this Hostel. The staff was great, very helpful with directions and with tickets to certain attractions. They we're friendly and made us feel welcomed. It was a bit out of the way but there's a metro close by and it's easy to get into the city center. The rooms could use a bit more light and maybe more sockets to charge stuff for the top bunk. The breakfast was amazing and I was in live with the coffee machine in the bar area...very great experience.

• 2nd Jun 2015

Hello! Thank you for your feedback! It is good to hear you enjoyed your stay. While we are located in zone 2, we are a short walk, bus or tube ride away from most of the major attractions in London. Unfortunately our unique building does not currently have sockets installed beside every bed, though there are plenty of them throughout the room itself and in the common areas. We are hoping to improve this in the future. We hope you can come back for another visit with the amazing coffee machine :)

Palmers lodge, was good, decent hostel. We were in a 12 bed female dorm and it was surprisingly private, not noisy, very organised and clean hostel. Bathrooms super clean. Only draw back was self catering kitchen was just a fridge, microwave and toaster , with no place to eat self catered food.

Hello! Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here. For the self-catering facilities, there is a conservatory beside the bar which has many tables and lots of space to enjoy your meal a little away from the bustle of the bar itself. This is a common area for people to eat, drink, play pool, or meet new people. We hope you can come back for a visit in the future!