Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

Unfortunately it took 45 minutes to check in, there was a line out of the door and only 2 out of the 4 people at the reception were checking in (one training the other), the other two were ignoring the crowd. The two ladies checking us in were very friendly unfortunately we did not meet them again at the reception, since the rest of the reception staff always seemed to be annoyed when asked questions. Since the rest of our stay was very pleasant and the cleanliness was excellent, we'd come back

A lot of random unforeseen charges. Make sure you bring a padlock and towel. Also, breakfast isn't bad, it costs £4.50 I think.

• 2nd Oct 2014

Hi there, Sorry to hear about your disappointment. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. We must also point out that it's very common in hostels (especially in London) to charge for a padlock and a towel, since these are things that usually a backpacker brings along. That's why for our private rooms we actually provide the towels for free. Kind regards

I expected a more willing and likeable staff

• 2nd Oct 2014

Have stayed here on several previous occasions. This time the reception staff were moody and rude (except one when I was checking out) There was no respect from fellow room mates with room door slamming until about 3am with new arrivals banging about with suitcases and talking loudly, people banging on door. Stayed in room B 01 right next to bathroom. Worst nights sleep here ever. Also free breakfast is now £4.50 and free parking now £5/day. Not an issue if it was displayed on website.

Hi there, Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience this time. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. As for the parking and breakfast fees, both are displayed on our website. Hope you can come back soon and have a better stay. Kind regards

Stayed living in hostels for more than 2 months and Palmers was by far the best I could find! Old building well transformed into a rather spacious hostel 20 min away from the city centre. The big lounge, bar and other small details as curtains in each bed contribute for the general atmosphere to be relaxed, cosy and thus a nice place to rest. atmosphere.It is very clean (bathrooms are actually cleaned several times during the day) and the staff is nice and helpful. The food is terrible though!

I think that Palmers Lodge hostels are nice comfortable and top clean. I find them spacious, well organised and a cool place to stay overall. I will most defenitely recommend it to anyone travelling to London. The reception staff are helpful and kind, special mention to the night staff. May be a recycling bin placed in the self-catering facilities will be a good idea. Thank you!

Everything about my stay is nice and pleasant. With the exception of two nights where snoring noise kept me awake.

I used to love this hostel, but thought it was much more affordable when breakfast was included. And there is no longer a great atmosphere in the tv lounge. It was so much better when there were movie nights for example. It's now just a room full of unsociable people with there noses stuck in their computers.

I always love staying here, this is my 10th stay, I feel like I should get my next one free! I feel like it has lost a little of the atmosphere it used to have, but it's still a great place to stay.

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Scotland

I've been here before but I have to repeat what a gem of a hostel this one is. I'm not too particular about where I stay but this is the Ritz of hostels compared to others I've been to.

I have stayed only 1 night at this hostel but have enjoyed it very much. Staff were very friendly and helpful, the place is cleaned, there is a nice and big living room, the bar is downstairs which also served as breakfast area, a conservatory room where you could have also breakfast by sunny weather. Rooms and bathrooms are OK. Very important there is a lift for those travelling with heavy suitcase. The kitchen is quite small but equipped. I like the character of this place. Will come back.

Stayed in London living in hostels for more than 2 months. Tried about 20 different hostels but Palmers was by far the best one. Rooms are very cosy (each bed has curtains), the hostel is clean (bathrooms are cleaned several times per day). Staff is nice and helpful. Hence, If you are willing to spend those extra 5 pounds per night to get away from the people warehouses that we can find here in London then Palmers is by far your best choice. BRING YOUR OWN FOOD => THE FOOD IN THE BAR IS AWFUL

The evening desk girl was quite condescending and seemed genuinely bored and resentful about having to talk to people. I wasn't able to get her name as she didn't wear a nametag, however I'm sure if they read this and ask anyone else staying there they would know exactly who I'm talking about. There was candy stuck to my traveling partners blankets when we got there and my bed didn't look like it was made after the last person left. Not impressed.

• 25th Sep 2014

Hi there, We apologize for any inconvenience caused. We are going to run an internal investigation as the customer service is our main concern. Regarding the bed, we always advice our guests to come to reception and share with us if there are any issues. We can't always know what's going on inside the rooms so it might happened that another guest took the wrong bed by mistake. A case like this can always be solved quickly within minutes. Unfortunately now it's too late for us to fix it :(

There were only few things that could have been better. The showers are 30sec showers one when you push the button, but one was only 3sec. And another one was not hot enough, couldn't turn the button. Then when you want to take a shower there's no place to put your clothes only two hooks for that.

12 bed room. I dont recommend. Room is very small and no changing room. Toilets are minimal. I didnt like except of breakfast. I felt uncomfortable.

• 22nd Sep 2014
  • Turkey

The hostel is very big and seems one Hotel. I liked the services, the atmosphere and the location, because is very close to two metro station, goods supermarkets and restaurants.

Brilliant place, will definately stay there again

• 20th Sep 2014

Loved my stay here. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Definitely remember to bring a lock or towel as well as cash. There is an added charge for swiping your card and the ATM will charge you for withdrawals there. Overall it was a really nice place for what you are paying for.

• 19th Sep 2014

I`m disappointed of my stay in Palmers Lodge for the following reasons: - the deluxe "room" for 2 persons is in reality a very small room of no more than 4m2 and a bathroom of 1.2x1.2m in cheap plastics, paid about 90 GBP per night for 2 persons. Despite the quality of location, it is far from a good value for money, in my opinion, - very noisy and almost no isolation from the street and the neighbour rooms (side and above). It is impossible to sleep as long as neighbours were not quite sleeping

• 18th Sep 2014

I stayed in a 21 bedded dorm , this was a bit to much . to noise with all those people . even at midnight . the location is ok . close to the subway the building looks nice . enough toilets and showers

• 18th Sep 2014

Hi there and thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoyed the stay in your room too much. We know it can get noisy in the biggest dorms, that's why we also offer accommodation in smaller dorms such as 6 or 4 bed dorms (As well as private rooms). Hope to see you again soon! :)