Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

I like the privacy with the curtains around the bed. Staff are helpful. The hostel is a nice building. Showers/toilets can be busy at times if you are in dorm downstairs which is a problem in the morning if you are in a hurry!

Paid £37 for 1 night in 6 bed female dorm on the 1st floor. A bit on the pricey side. Hostel was clean & well maintained & staff were lovely. Good, clean bathroom but only 2 sinks & so there was a queue to brush your teeth! Breakfast was included in price but disappointed to find out it only consisted of cereal, toast & croissants. I was expecting a full English to be honest! Location was perfect and very easy to get to from Tube. All in all I can recommend this hostel and would stay again.

• 5th Jul 2013

The place was a little far from London. The breakfast croissants were really good. Wifi only worked in the common area. No night life at the hostel, the bar closes at 9. There's currently construction going on that starts at 7 am. Staff were helpful, you can even buy your tube day pass at the hostel.

Great place to stay. The only let down is its hard to get to Camden by the tube because its not on the same line so you need to change 3 times, but its only a 25 minute walk. Really lovely girl on the desk, good facilities. Don't upgrade your breakfast! It's not worth it!

Palmer's was a nice surprise when we arrived after a long day of traveling. Our room was really nice (and clean) and the breakfast in the morning was a great way to start the day. The bathrooms were a little strange since they were shared male/female, but it wasn't that bad. The common room provides a great place to chill out and relax too. We loved it here!

Definitely not a party hostel, but friendly. A perfect base for a week in London.

• 4th Jul 2013

Hello! Thank you for your comment. We are not a party hostel, true, but our chill out "MIND THE BAR" on the basement can always be a nice surprise. See you back someday!

I am always continually impressed with Swiss Cottage. I stayed here last year as well, and this year, even when I mistakingly did not make a final night booking that i thought I had made, they gave me the emergency booking, and changed my room to a smaller all female dorm when they realized they had put me in a mixed dorm. Staff is friendly, the facilities are lovely and the location is great.

We had a great time in the hostel - it was just what we had been looking for! Would suggest more sinks though since there was always a queue in the ladies :)

• 3rd Jul 2013
  • Scotland

I Am Definitely going back if I visit London again. The location is great. And the best part is they get curtains for every bed, your privacy is being concerned.

Excellent free wifi and computer access, loved the free tea and coffee available all day in the common room and having a 24hr reception desk proved really handy. The restaurant meals were great value for money, and the dorms although small were reasonably comfortable. I definitely recommend it for anyone who doesn't mind staying slightly out of the centre of town

• 2nd Jul 2013

Each bed has its own drapes which is quite neat for people who want more privacy. The hostel is at zone 2, 5 mins walk to tube station. And there are direct buses to king's cross and london paddington stations. The locker beneath each bed is a stupid design coz it makes loud noises every time someone opens it. There is individual reading light for each bed. Good security since each room and hallway requires key card. Shower design is stupid that you need to keep pressing to make it keep flow.

Very clean and comfortable.

• 2nd Jul 2013

Hello! Thank you so much for your nice comment. We'll be waiting for you next time you're in London!

It was very nice to visit your hostel.

Absolutely no problems encountered, everything was as stated, and the staff were very friendly. Thank you.

• 1st Jul 2013

It was an amazing experience to make Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage my home away from home. It's a very nice place, well located within just a few minutes walk from the underground, restaurants and other shops. The staff was always ready to help in any way they could. Angela and her "money wall" at the bar downstairs were an attraction apart... lovely lady to chat about most everything.

• 1st Jul 2013

I found Swiss Cottage a delight to stay in. The showers were lovely and clean, the atmosphere was relaxed and yet very organised and the beds were very comfortable which was wonderful as I suffer from chronic back problems. My only small criticism would be the lack of air circulation in the female attic room where we stayed. I thought it would have been nice to at least have a fan. when i asked at reception about the Air condtioner on the wall and was informed it was broken.

• 29th Jun 2013

A good hostel food good

This hostel was great as a place to stay. The atmosphere wasn't as friendly and welcoming as some of the other hostels I visited. Nobody was rude or unfriendly, but no one was overly friendly either, neither staff nor other hostelers. I stayed in one of their big rooms with ~30 beds and it was a bit noisy because of the large number of people there. On the bright side, they had computers that were free to use and the beds were great, with plenty of privacy!

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, albeit I would note that I didn't manage to see any of the additional facilities due to retiring to our room upon arrival. We shared a private double room with en suite facilities, and it was clean, spacious and the noise from the adjoining corridor was only slightly disruptive, which I entirely appreciate is a given in any hostel. Over all it seemed a very spacious and friendly environment which I enjoyed and hope to visit again in the future.

• 27th Jun 2013
  • Northern Ireland

Hello! It's greta to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your comment... We hope to have you with us again soon!

Free breakfast and little curtains on the beds were great but the staff were disinterested. One day we came back to an empty room with all our stuff gone. We found all our stuff in a pile at reception and the staff member told us that we were meant to check out that day. When he realised that we actually did have a booking for that night he said we had to change rooms.The staff member really didn't care or apologise and acted like it was our fault.