Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

To expensive, literally have to pay for almost everything. The main thing are the plug converters, but there's loads of others stuff: breakfast, towels, padlocks for your locker...you name it, it has a price tag.

• 6th Oct 2014
  • Croatia

1- Hot water is rare in this hostel. This is shameful! Like this hostel is still in 1900's... 2- reception staff is not cordial at all at times

• 5th Oct 2014

Palmer's was the first hostel I had ever stayed in. I was pleasantly surprised by the level of comfort, safety and cleanliness. Plus, the location was to die for. I had no idea Hampstead was so affluent.

The construction of the building is very well included in the location and facilities styles. Unfortunatelly we werde at Swiss Cottag, when some new staff got introducted. We needed to be a little bit more passion. Nevertheless the did a great job, were allways friendly and answered all our questions. Comparing the value for money to other hostels in europe Swiss Cottage ist rather expensive. But this may be because of being in London, so in general it is ok.

• 4th Oct 2014
  • Switzerland

Very few toilets and showers, No plug beside your bed Upper beds have small room because they added other bunks on an added mezzanine ... first night I woke up 3:00 am and hit my head at the wooden beam supporting the mezzanine. If that was a metal one I may have had 4 stitches or something. Stuff barely had a welcoming smile for someone who have just arrived from a long journey Keeping the camera or laptop in the locker is not recommended by staff so everytime I sleep leaving them I get worried

Everything was excellent!! But it's not easy to connect Wi-Fi on first floor room!

• South Korea

There was no hot water in the shower. Maybe include more hangers in the shower. There should be water available near the tea/coffee table.

• Spain

Great rooms love the curtains and fact everyone has a light although plugs at each bed like your sister hostel would be great also. Bar is nice and rooms big. Negative kitchen... It isn't a kitchen is a microwave and a kettle pretty much it's crappy so if you want to save money like most travellers don't expect a decent kitchen, also breakfast is 4.50 and pretty sure it's same as the hill spring which is free.. So that sucks but otherwise really good

Staff could of been more helpful. I was made to feel a bit silly as I didn't know how hostels worked. Toilets and showers very clean but could be more showers and shower cubicles could be bigger to put your clothes etc. Room was warm and spacious but the side of bed was very dusty and hadn't been hoovered. Bar and lounge was fantastic. Reasonable prices for booze and lounge comfortable. Only suggestion would be to have better tea bags and milk

• Scotland

A great place to stay. Relaxed atmosphere and freedom to come and go, leave stuff, use as a base. Breakfast room has improved, although now there's an exra charge. Still, breakfast is good value for money.

• 2nd Oct 2014

Unfortunately it took 45 minutes to check in, there was a line out of the door and only 2 out of the 4 people at the reception were checking in (one training the other), the other two were ignoring the crowd. The two ladies checking us in were very friendly unfortunately we did not meet them again at the reception, since the rest of the reception staff always seemed to be annoyed when asked questions. Since the rest of our stay was very pleasant and the cleanliness was excellent, we'd come back

A lot of random unforeseen charges. Make sure you bring a padlock and towel. Also, breakfast isn't bad, it costs £4.50 I think.

• 2nd Oct 2014

Hi there, Sorry to hear about your disappointment. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. We must also point out that it's very common in hostels (especially in London) to charge for a padlock and a towel, since these are things that usually a backpacker brings along. That's why for our private rooms we actually provide the towels for free. Kind regards

I expected a more willing and likeable staff

• 2nd Oct 2014

Have stayed here on several previous occasions. This time the reception staff were moody and rude (except one when I was checking out) There was no respect from fellow room mates with room door slamming until about 3am with new arrivals banging about with suitcases and talking loudly, people banging on door. Stayed in room B 01 right next to bathroom. Worst nights sleep here ever. Also free breakfast is now £4.50 and free parking now £5/day. Not an issue if it was displayed on website.

Hi there, Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience this time. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. As for the parking and breakfast fees, both are displayed on our website. Hope you can come back soon and have a better stay. Kind regards

Stayed living in hostels for more than 2 months and Palmers was by far the best I could find! Old building well transformed into a rather spacious hostel 20 min away from the city centre. The big lounge, bar and other small details as curtains in each bed contribute for the general atmosphere to be relaxed, cosy and thus a nice place to rest. atmosphere.It is very clean (bathrooms are actually cleaned several times during the day) and the staff is nice and helpful. The food is terrible though!

I think that Palmers Lodge hostels are nice comfortable and top clean. I find them spacious, well organised and a cool place to stay overall. I will most defenitely recommend it to anyone travelling to London. The reception staff are helpful and kind, special mention to the night staff. May be a recycling bin placed in the self-catering facilities will be a good idea. Thank you!

Everything about my stay is nice and pleasant. With the exception of two nights where snoring noise kept me awake.

I used to love this hostel, but thought it was much more affordable when breakfast was included. And there is no longer a great atmosphere in the tv lounge. It was so much better when there were movie nights for example. It's now just a room full of unsociable people with there noses stuck in their computers.

I always love staying here, this is my 10th stay, I feel like I should get my next one free! I feel like it has lost a little of the atmosphere it used to have, but it's still a great place to stay.

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Scotland

I've been here before but I have to repeat what a gem of a hostel this one is. I'm not too particular about where I stay but this is the Ritz of hostels compared to others I've been to.