Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

This is the best hostel I ever have stayed in, it's beautifully old well furnished and accommodating. The people working there are very kind, friendly and diplomatic and the place are amazingly clean. Unlike many other hostels the breakfast is more then the value fir your money including free hot drinks day and night. Besides being a good place to stay it's close to everything you need.

Nice hostel but not really an atmosphere for meeting people. Everything was pretty clean, although I wish the bathrooms had more toilets. I thought my sheets smelled kind of funny though, like they weren't washed well or something. It's located close to a tube station, so it's easy to reach and get around. The lockers are under the beds, but you have to pull them out all the way in order to open them. It's kind of annoying in between bunk beds since there isn't much space.

Hi, Thank for taking time to share your feedback . We hope to see you again in our hostel in the future ! All the best, Palmers Lodge Team

Very clean hostel with lockers under the bunks. The bathrooms are unisex, which I personally don't care for. Also there are no benches in the showers for you to set your clothes on. It is right next to the Swiss Cottage stop (and Finchley) of the tube which is really convenient. Even though it is outside of central London, you can be in SoHo or Westminster in 15 minutes time. It didn't matter to me this time but other trips it has, this hostel HAS AN ELEVATOR. If you have a big bag, rejoice!

Hi, Thank you for taking time to write these kind words. We would be more than happy to see you again whenever you pass by London :) Warm Regards, Kevin - Palmers Lodge

Palmers Lodge was a really calm and friendly environment to be based in for the three days my daughter and I spent in London recently. It's style and ambience was unique. It's locality perfect - so handy for the tube and transport networks but quiet and secluded. I loved the decor and our ensuite bedroom was warm, clean and so comfortable. It really felt like home and I would recommend it to anyone and definitely plan to stay there again.

• 4th Nov 2015

Cleanliness needs to be improved

• 3rd Nov 2015
  • Thailand

Hi, Thank you for taking time to write this review. Our housekeeping team is cleaning all the premises several times a day. If it gets too dirty, please don't hesitate to let reception know about it ! We hope you enjoyed your stay at Palmers Lodge and would be more than happy to see you again in the future ! All the best, Kevin - Palmers Lodge

Clean, tidy and safe. Good wifi. Very helpful staff. Would stay again

Absolutely superb. Ideally located for what I wanted to do in London and the parking was a real bonus. It was a great way of having a weekend in London without going to too much expense but without feeling you're slumming it. The facilities were great including the modern bathrooms everything squeaky clean. Will definitely stay again. My only advice - turn the heating down! When I stayed it was like a sauna and must have been costing the hostel a fortune.

• 30th Oct 2015
  • Wales

I definitely want to stay at this hostel again if I go back to London. Bathroom regularly gets cleaned up and very organized whenever I entered. Eventhough shower booths seems a bit lack of total number, they are maintained clean all the time. I loved the curtains that covered my bed. It gave me more privacy and let me feel free to read, use laptop and so on even in a late night. The bed was also good and comfortable. I didn't feel much irritated or disturbed when the person below my bed moved.

Don't think hostels are my thing. The lodge was simply too crowded and felt like a university campus instead of a quiet hostel. There was very little choice for single or double rooms and most of the time I was shoved up at the top bunks because I had to check in late due to circumstances I could not control. The 4-room dorm had no privacy curtains and the 12-room dorm was too noisy. Doors are heavy and slam all the time and the breakfast for 4.50 was really poor.

• 29th Oct 2015
  • Malaysia

One of my favourite hostels in London. Lots of privacy, and a beautiful building close to the tube. This visit I stayed in both the 14 and 21 bed female dorms. Would definitely recommend the 21 over the 14 bed - the 14 bed is below ground, and next to the bar/restaurant so was loud both late at night and early in the morning. 21 bed is in the roof and a really cool room!

Being an "old girl" and not a typical hostel stayer the first time in my life-I was naturally skeptical however I found the experience really very good and would go back there. The staff were going around cleaning the toilets a lot and filling up the tea and coffee tray-its in a good part of London (I used to live in London so I do know the areas) and was pleasantly surprised. Thank you.

• 28th Oct 2015

Easy to get to the city center from the metro here! Staff helped me a lot especially a man named Kurt? (It has been almost a week now so i might be off). Definitely recommend it for anyone visiting London.

I stayed in a 28 bedroom at the hostel and was surprised by it. Each bed has there own curtain , so you are able to have privacy. There is going to be smells with that many people in a room, but I was surprised that it was very minimal. There isn't much light in the room, and outlets are limited. I would have to choose between having a light or plugging in my phone. There are only 2 toilettes and 3 showers, but I was surprised that it wasn't an issue.

Hi, Thank you for taking time to write us this kind review. Our reception is open 24h/7 and is more than willing to help. Extensions can be provided on request if we have some so please don't hesitate to pop by and ask for it :) We look forward to seeing you next time you pass by London, All the best, Kevin - Palmers Lodge

Checked in around 4pm. Staff just sits at the desk and there isisnt anybody to assist you with anything with the facility. They just tell to you that its self explanatory and you figure out yourself from there on. The rooms were huge and there was an odor to it and definitely very hot in late October. Wasn't explained about the lockers, shower, the area, places to go, recommendations. People very to themselves here, definitely not a place to meet people here. No activities. Staff Rude

I thought there would be bigger lockers for my bag. None of the lockers fit. I also wish there were toilets in the shower area as well. I had to go out of my room and down the hall to get to the toilet. Overall it was a very neat hostel. Also my key card was turned off the day we were to check out. So I left out of my room for breakfast and then couldn't get back in until getting my card turned back on.

Hi, Thank you for sharing your experience through this review ! We do actually have ensuite dormitories and the room you booked wasn't eventhough some showers have recently been added :) As the keycards are magnetic, the contact with a phone or a credit card demagnetizes it. Reception just need to do a short manipulation in order to solve this inconvenience. We look forard to seeing you again and wish you the best ! Kevin - Palmers Lodge

Great Overall experience, everything was clean and the hostel is in a good location about 2 minutes walk from the tube. Wish the windows could open a little bit more as it tends to get stuffy in the room. The privacy curtains are just brilliant.

Hi, Thank you so much for these kind words, it always makes us happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Reception is here to help and improve your stay, so please do not hesitate to pop by and we'll be more that happy to make things easier :) Please feel free to visit us whenever you feel like to ! All the best, Kevin - Palmers Lodge

I wish there were more showers and bathrooms. I had to wait a lot but they were great. Wifi is pretty amazing that it works everywhere.

• 20th Oct 2015
  • Bahamas

Hi, Thank you for sharing your experience and getting back to us through this kind review. Morning time could be busy indeed, especially when every one goes at the same time. Please don't hesitate to visit us whenever you feel like too ! All the best, Kevin - Palmers Lodge

Not as friendly or chilled out as Willesden green palmers lodge. More centrally located. Some of the dorm lockers could do with maintainING hinges on some lockers seemed unloose.ie screws.and on some lockers latchest seem flimsy or could be more secure

Hi there, Thank you for taking your time to write this review. We have the same lockers than in our sister's hostel. As you already know and stayed in the other hostel, it happens that we need to configurate it sometimes. It is however the securest option we have with the safes at reception. We look forward to seeing you again in one of our hostels whenever you want :) Warm Regards, Kevin - Palmers Lodge

The bus from Stansted airport has a stop 5 minutes away from the hostel. Excellent! All kinds of shops and pubs around the corner. Beautiful old building.

• 19th Oct 2015
  • Slovenia

Thank you for leaving your review and for the kind words! We are very glad to hear you had a good experience in our hostel. Hope to see you again!!

Staff were very friendly and always helpful. The hostel looks awesome and has a great atmosphere. Met a lot of great people down at the bar. The only downside are the noisy people who come in and out at late hours of the night. The beds do have curtains to block out the lights to a point which is good.

• 18th Oct 2015

Hi, Thank you so much for these kind words and sharing your feedback ! We are very happy by the fact that your expectations have been reached and we really hope to see you again . Warm Regards, Kevin