Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

The hostel was lovely and staff were helpful; however, for the price it would have been nice to have a basic breakfast included. Unfortunately, during my stay there was a significant noise disturbance one night at 1 a.m. caused by other guests who thought it appropriate and funny to shout and bang on other guest's doors to try and wake them up. I realise the hostel can only do so much to moderate these situatuions, but quite disappointing for what is advertised as a boutique hostel.

• 31st Jan 2015

It was always loud in our room (12 people). Some guys just came at 3 a.m. and turned on the light - my bed had no cover above so the light was over my head. Horrible. But that was nearly the only bad thing.

• 31st Jan 2015

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE EMPLOYEES AND WOULD RECOMMEND MY FRIENDS TO STAY HERE IF THEY EVER VISIT LONDON.

the best hotel that I've never seen

• 28th Jan 2015

I wouldn't recommend this hostel. They gave me a bed number and later gave the same number to another girl while I wasn't there, so she just took all my stuff from there and basically I had no bed when I went back at night. It was expensive (for a 21 beds room) and the staff seemed disorganized.

Arrive at Palmers Lodge and got told the guy at the desk couldn't serve me as he was cashing up - he assured me his colleague would be back in 5 minutes to open the other desk (it is meant to be a 24 hour check in). I waited 8 minutes and in this time the other guy came in, logged on to the desk where I was waiting and walked off again. I finally got served after waiting for ten minutes which would have disappointing at any time of day, let alone so late at night when I just wanted to get to bed

Disappointing to find the previously free breakfast now costs an additional £4.95 and that if your plans change there is no cancellation policy and you cannot get your money back for nights you'd planned to stay there but then could not. (Although I was fortunate that the manage made an exception for me and refunded me the night I could not stay).

• 27th Jan 2015

This is probably one of the best hostels of London! The staff is also amazing! Really loved staying there.

• 23rd Jan 2015

The hostel is very well located and the building itself is amazing! However the bathrooms are a little bit messy and the shower uses the terrible push system!

Other than having a very inconsiderate roommate (which is unrelated to the quality of the hostel), we enjoyed our stay at the Palmers Lodge. It was a very convenient location as we flew into London Luden and the 757 Train dropped us off right down the road from the hostel. We were told there was free coffee and tea, but the outlet wasn´t working while we were there. Wifi was not great in the rooms but was okay in the lounge.

Very good and lovely hostel, the best so far!

This is not a hostel for mature travellers. I stayed here for 10 nights and would never stay here again. The staff are lovely but that's all that can be said for it. - the 12-bunk rooms are too small to accommodation everyone's luggage; - there is no kitchen, just a very small room with microwaves, kettle, toaster that gets very overcrowded; - the wifi doesn't work when the hostel is very full; - there is not enough common space; - there are long wait times at reception when the hostel is busy.

It was the best days of my life in London.

• 20th Jan 2015

Even though this is not an anonymous comment and I do want to return to this hostel, I do want to say that the front office staff was quite unfriendly to me. The other staff such as the bar staff were very nice.

• 18th Jan 2015

A good hostel with a mix of travellers and long-termers, young and old. It has good facilities with a bar downstairs with pool and darts and generally lively atmosphere, upstairs is a comfy lounge with quieter mood for those that just want to relax. The location in zone 2 is okay with many local shops but can be a trek to the city centre. Car park a bonus too. Only bad points is the lack of kitchen and rubbish washing machines. Special mention for Junior at reception who went the extra mile!!!

• 17th Jan 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Second kitchen

I have contacted Palmers Lodge directly regarding their recent shortcoming during my stay, however they are not responding! I am shocked and very disappointed! Issues I raised: Bed lamp and power socket not working, toilet in the wing I was staying in was out of service! The above made coming to bed late at night very difficult, and made for an unpleasant stay. You guys should at least have the courtesy to respond to correspondence relating to the above!

Dear guest, apologies again for the issues that affected you during your stay. As discussed by email I am pleased that we were able to resolve things. We hope that in the future you would come back where we will meet your expectations. Regards, Tom

All good apart from rude cleaners, I know it's a rubbish job but you chose it! Don't take that out on the guests!! :/

• 17th Jan 2015

The room was not as the one shown in the pictures, also there was a little cold inside but overall is a nice and clean place to stay. Not really close to the centre, but in metro you can reach any point around the city, so is not a big deal, and the staff is really keen to give you directions.

The only negative thing to say is that breakfast isn't included anymore. Other than that, my number-one-place to stay in London.

• 15th Jan 2015

Hi there and thank you for your review. We were receiving many reviews in concern of the quality of the old breakfast saying that the offer wasn't good enough. Hence we decided to offer guests a better breakfast, more complete, and in order to do it we had to start charging for it. :( Hope you can still choose us for your next stay! :)