Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

This place has spoiled me for any other hostel. By far the best one out of my two months of traveling. It was a perfect location, close to the underground, and very well kept. It was always impeccably clean, and the staff was great. Especially Griffin at the bar! I was here for two weeks and it felt like home!

• 7th Jun 2015

Overall, good place to stay. It was kept very clean (bathrooms in particular), which I highly appreciate. The location of the hostel is ok - not bad, but not great either - however, it is close to the tube so it is easy to get around the city from here. The room I was in was near the bar, however the noise was mostly kept under control - even if the bar was loud, the noise level in the room was still low. Ultimately, I would stay here again.

• 6th Jun 2015

Dear guest, thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback. We always appreciate to hear back from guests whether it was a good or bad experience. We do try to balance keeping a fun atmosphere in the bar without causing too much disturbance to other guests. We hope you get a chance to stay with us next time. Thanks again, Tom

The dorms are still great and spacious. The cooking facilities seem to get more sparse year by year; the kitchen is tiny and cramped and there aren't even any sharp knives around (bring your army knife if you want to cut into an apple). I suppose they want to encourage people to use their restaurant - if the music wasn't as loud and obnoxious as it was, I might have. I might be too old. Still, it's a beautiful place with a great location and good value for London.

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are sorry to hear you were not wholly satisfied with your stay. It is unfortunate that our cooking facilities are not larger, though we have taken steps recently to attempt to improve and expand the overall facilities available. We do like to encourage guests to go out and explore the city, and expect that not every guest will wish to cook for themselves. We are happy to also provide our restaurant and bar as an option to enjoy London

I'd really liked the hostel, BUT when you arrive at an hostel with your boyfriend and the stuff tells you, that a double booking occurred and you now have to sleep in a private bunk bed room, you really get disappointed. The only offer was that we get free breakfast. I booked so long in advance, cause it was present, so I would have been happy when somebody could have told us about the mistake before, so that we would have had the chance to look for an other hostel. The house is super lovely!!

Hello! thanks for this feedback. Apologies once again for the situation which moved you from a double to a twin room. These situations arise very occasionally and we always try our best to minimize the impact on our guests. We offered the complementary breakfast as a compensation for the change of room type and inconvenience, but we would always encourage you to come speak to the manager if you remain unsatisfied. We hope you can come stay again and have a better experience in the future

Palmers Lodge is incredible! Friendly staff, great location and beautifully maintained. The pub downstairs is nice and the tips for what to do in London are a nice touch. Definitely good value for the money!

really enjoyed my stay in this Hostel. The staff was great, very helpful with directions and with tickets to certain attractions. They we're friendly and made us feel welcomed. It was a bit out of the way but there's a metro close by and it's easy to get into the city center. The rooms could use a bit more light and maybe more sockets to charge stuff for the top bunk. The breakfast was amazing and I was in live with the coffee machine in the bar area...very great experience.

• 2nd Jun 2015

Hello! Thank you for your feedback! It is good to hear you enjoyed your stay. While we are located in zone 2, we are a short walk, bus or tube ride away from most of the major attractions in London. Unfortunately our unique building does not currently have sockets installed beside every bed, though there are plenty of them throughout the room itself and in the common areas. We are hoping to improve this in the future. We hope you can come back for another visit with the amazing coffee machine :)

Palmers lodge, was good, decent hostel. We were in a 12 bed female dorm and it was surprisingly private, not noisy, very organised and clean hostel. Bathrooms super clean. Only draw back was self catering kitchen was just a fridge, microwave and toaster , with no place to eat self catered food.

Hello! Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here. For the self-catering facilities, there is a conservatory beside the bar which has many tables and lots of space to enjoy your meal a little away from the bustle of the bar itself. This is a common area for people to eat, drink, play pool, or meet new people. We hope you can come back for a visit in the future!

It was a great hostel, we would definitely stay there again. The only complaint we had was the lack of outlets (which seems to be a problem at every hostel).

they are doing a great job in keeping the place clean. for me however too much chlorine. breakfast is nice with lots of choices if u don't mind what u putting into your body. if u like a real coffee i recommend the coffee place in the parallel street

Really nice place. I liked the common room a lot. When I saw they had a kitchen I thought there might be a bit more though, just a refrigerator, microwave, and toaster. Not bad at all, I was just expecting a stove top for cooking.

Location was excellent and staff was pleasant and helpful! On premises amenities were wonderful. Room was en suite but as it was a private the showers were shared which was unexpected, however they were very clean and easily accessible. Overall lovely stay and I will certainly visit again.

The building is very classic and I love the atmosphere. There are plenty of bathrooms and wahsrooms and you don't need to queue for them. Free coffee and tea at the common room that allows you to chill and make friends with others. Location is good, close to the tube station. Just a little flaw for the bed, as I was staying on the 3rd floor and upper bunk where I can barely sit on my bed and hurt my head every day when I wake up. There wasn't enough sockets for charging as well.

I didn't stay with you guys since I was with my friend. But I'd like to visit you guys later on thanks.

• 28th May 2015
  • South Korea

They had run out earplugs when I visited. Make sure to take some of your own! On departure staff were a little debutante. Generally though staff are helpful, friendly and sympathetic to your needs.

Good location and very nice facilities except that "kitchen area" only includes microwave and toaster. No oven or stove top. Does include on-location restaurant. Very clean and very cool historical building. Bit expensive because it's London, but no curfew. Enjoyed stay.

I had fun during my stay at this hostel. They had a bar which I enjoyed. Sadly never got to try their breakfast, never woke up on time (>.

Staff friendly, helpful and cheerful ... clean ... great place

This hostel was perfect! Set in a great location, a few minutes walk from the Jubilee line, I was traveling as a solo female and even on nights when I got back around midnight I felt perfectly safe. Front desk is staffed 24/7 and they are all very friendly and have great recommendations. There was only one bathroom per floor, but I never had to wait for the toilet or shower. In a room of 10 women right across from the restaurant, but I never had a problem going to sleep when I wanted.

• 26th May 2015

Loved the compartment-style beds, although guests were a bit loud coming in on some nights (it IS a hostel). The location is decent, but it's a suburban locale: not in the heart of London. Being prepared for that reality made it more enjoyable. On the other hand, London is enormous and I ended up getting on the underground daily anyway while staying in Bloomsbury, Kensington, Bayswater. And, since I did stay in hostels in all these, Swiss Cottage is where I'd likeliest stay again.

I loved the place! The whole building and the atmosphere made us feel like we were staying at some rich uncle's place. The facilities were great as well, and easy accessible. We had a problem with one awful snoring guy in our room, and when we told the staffs about it, they were nice enough to offer change of rooms. We didn't go for it because it was too much of a hassle, but the staffs were very friendly and helpful as well.