Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

This hostel located in a very quiet neighborhood, also just between two underground stops. All the facilities nearby make staying easier. My friends and I stayed there for 11 nights and we changed our rooms from basement floor to first floor (14-people-room to 6). But the wifi signal upstairs was so terrible so that we needed to go downstairs for internet. I dont know why but the water from this hostel is so greasy, which feels so uncomfortable when taking shower and washing hands.

They messed up my reservation even though I had told them by email what I wanted twice. Very good hostel, but this confusion got me very upset.

• 28th Dec 2014

A highly recommended hostel. Great value for money.

• 27th Dec 2014
  • Greece

The staff at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage was so helpful and friendly--they are absolutely terrific. We had a great experience and would return again any time we are in London. Thank you!

• 26th Dec 2014

Thank you so much for your nice comments! Glad to hear you would like to come back :)

My stay in Palmers Lodge was great, even though short. Staff were really helpful too.

Thank you for your kind words :) Hope you can comeback soon and stay a little longer!!

Bathroom facilities were new and clean, and there were plenty of showers for a room full of 10-12 beds, which was nice. The building's interior and exterior were aged and beautiful, with amazing architecture and character. Rooms were warm and quiet, the curtains around the bed provided dim sound and light, as well as warmth. Enjoyed my stay.

Palmers is a beautiful, clean, well kept hostel. The best I've stayed in for sure. And absolutely a great value for the money. Even in the large 18 person rooms, you feel like you have space of your own & it's not cramped at all- probably b/c of the huge high ceilings and curtains around each bed. My only complaint is that there aren't enough showers, and they're not that great. Otherwise a perfect stay. I would HIGHLY recommend it. Close to everything, as well as relaxing if you need a day off.

I enjoyed my stay at Palmers Lodge. The rooms were great and the common room area was very good, and the wifi was good. However, there was not much of a kitchen which was limiting, and I was not comfortable sharing a bathroom with the opposite gender.

Hi there and thank you for your review. So sorry to hear about sharing the bathroom as we actually do have a female only bathroom located on the first floor. Hope to see you again in the future! :)

No hot plates to cook

The front desk staff are helpful but their service manner was disppointing. Seriously, phrases such as "You can either take it or leave it." is absolutely inappropriate in the service line. When it comes to the layout of the room, some of the 'standard 6 bed dorm' rooms turn out to be very small, with very limited common space, and are inferior to a 'standard 14 bed dorm'. It is bad enough for one to feel deceived. It is impossible to open the luggage on the floor temporarily for packing.

Awesome staff, like last time in spring ! Breakfast is no longer free though, as said on the website : "breakfast has been improved with better produce and a wider selection, however it will no longer be included in the price, it will be charged at an additional £4.50" (bed prices haven't decreased). Still good hostel of course, considering the location. Careful : contrary to what is advertised wifi does not work well everywhere, expect bad reception in the upper dormitories (302 at least).

Amazing value for money - excellent location, transport links etc The rooms are clean & even though you are in a dorm, the level of privacy is excellent

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are always delighted when a guest leaves with a positive experience! Thanks again, Tom

The hostel was immaculate and had a really nice cafe bar downstairs for both relaxing and socialising. Laundry room was also in excellent condition. Beds were comfortable and rooms were a great size for sharing. Staff were ok but could have been friendlier and more welcoming on reception. I would stay here again if I had my own room as unfortunately I had no sleep at all due to the loud banging door locks every time the other girls came in. They were in and out all night long.

• 18th Dec 2014

Dear guest, Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve our service and your comments are valuable helping to achieve this. As I'm sure you understand, there are sometimes issues that come naturally when you stay in a shared dorm, however if you stay again, please let our 24hr reception and they could help. However, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hostel. Thanks again, Tom

Great! I will come again

• 17th Dec 2014
  • China

The Best hostel i have ever stayed in, restrooms are super clean, rooms are excellent and the staff is so helpful and friendly! The only thing i would have to complain about is that the kitchen is too small and you can't really cook. Other than that, i love palmers lodge!

Clean and tidy, nice staff, may come back in the future.

Thank you for your kind words :) Hope to see you again soon!

A little pricey, but then it was the week before Christmas! Been here before - it isn't that expensive the whole time. Lockers are provided, beds have privacy curtains (which is great), rooms have security key-cards (no security really for the rest of the building)… Location is good - not central but right next to a station so getting around is really easy. There's a 30 second timer on the shower, which is bizarre. You have to keep pressing a button. Wifi is slow, but works. A good stay, I think

Dear guest, Thank you for taking the time leave feedback. I am pleased to see that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us and found us a secure and comfortable base to explore London. I realise that the timer on the showers can be a little annoying, however on the plus side it allows to drastically reduce waste of water in our building. This is good as sustainability is very important to us. Thanks again for your comments and good luck with your future travelling. Tom

there was just one bathroom for one level. in the bathroom was nothing to hang or put your staff while you are on the toilett, shower or wash your hands. We thought when we booked th hostel we booked already for this price also breakfast in the hostel so this was as the check in a big dissapointment.

• 13th Dec 2014

I was worried that a 21 bed dorm was going to feel busy, but the dorm was very quiet and the atmosphere calm. I loved how every bed had its own curtains, making you feel very private and safe evethough you were sharing rooms with twenty other people. The general age at the hostel was quite high I would say, which meant that the hostel was not noisey. If you value a good nights (and mornings) sleep after a long day out touristing or partying you will love this place.

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Sweden

Wonderful Hostel, the only bad thing is that they stop serving breakfast at just 10 am, a bit too early for me.