Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage Reviews

40 College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London, England

Great, higher quality hostel, housed in a beautiful old building (but fitted with modern amenities), including a nice big hang out room. Included breakfast is good too, easy walk to Camden Town and just next to a zone 2 station for easy access to the city. (Honestly I walked to Mayfair/SOHO really quickly from the hostel it's quite close).

Very clean, very homey, private bunk beds. Quiet and comfortable. Not the best party hostel and was a little harder to meet people but definitely a comfortable stay, especially after a few nights at other larger hostels.

Beautiful building, however no real kitchen which is not ideal.

Close to the tube, fast trip to central London-really love the London mass transit. Extremely good facilities, everything you could think of was covered! My first hostel and really a terrific experience. Nice having a little bar/restaurant in the basement, not a huge number of restaurants or bars nearby, tho we did find an Indian takeaway open late.

Wholemeal bread at breakfast would be great!

• 9th May 2014
  • Sweden

My first hostel, a great experience. I've been to 2 more since. Palmer's stacks up well.

It was very easy to find & check in. I really enjoyed meeting lovely people.

• 9th May 2014
  • Morocco

Good location. Safe. Breakfast was great.

The hostel is incredibly easy to get to from Heathrow as well as smaller airports (I went to Stansted after staying here). The tube station is very close by and it's easy to get to all attractions you would want to visit. The 21 person dorms are slightly overwhelming with not very many outlets, but they are clean, and so are the washrooms. I plan to stay here again.

Excellent hostel! I would definitely stay there again! The common room is sooo nice, the internet is perfect (I could Skype from the bedroom AND common room), and although I was in the 28 bed bedroom, the curtains were perfect to give privacy to people. The street nearby is also very good for shopping for food. Stay here!

The kitchen was dissapointing. It even wasn't a real kitchen- no oven, no stove. Just a microwave and a fridge. Anyways, it is really worth the money. A Sainsbury's and the Underground is not far away. They cleaned the bathrooms many times a day.

loved curtains around beds--helped privacy. Free breakfast, wi-fi.

The hostel and bathroom were spotless and the dorm room was also clean. The man at the front desk who works in the afternoon was so helpful and very nice. Overall, kitchen facilities are a bit lacking and the dorm rooms are expensive but that's London. Would stay here again.

Security on the door seems very relaxed and might be a good idea for people to show their door cards or something. When I arrived the lower bunk was being guarded by two policemen and was a crime scene...as something had happened on that bunk which sounded somewhat sinister. I was told I could sleep in the top bunk just not to touch anything by the police. While I know this is extremely rare, might have been nice to be put in a different bunk for the night?!

The staff was great, very friendly and helpful. Everything was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I also liked a lot that there were curtains and a reading lamp. The one thing that I really disliked was that there was only one female-only bathroom in the entire hostel. When closed for cleaning (for 30 minutes in the morning, I couldn't wait) I was forced to use a co-ed bathroom which I'm not used to and made me feel extremely uncomfortable.

• Chile

I completely loved this place, not only the atmosphere is great but the place is beautiful, felt like I was on a castle. The staff is really helpful and give you cool insight about what places to go. And is think is genious that they have a bar! Totally coming back!

• Mexico

Lovely hostel. Rooms were clean and well maintained. Complimentary breakfast and free wifi were great. Bathrooms very clean, and staff were friendly and helpful. My main criticisms are that the luggage storage isn't especially secure -- all the luggage sits in the same room unattended and it would be quite easy for someone to take something out of someone else's luggage. Also, in my room, the locker accompanying my bed was quite small, making it hard to store very much.

• 4th May 2014

I loved staying in the hostel. This year is my second stay in the hostel. I will stay in the hostel if I am in London. I will recommend my friends who visit London to stay in Palmer's Lodge Swiss Cottage.

Loved that the beds had curtains for an extra bit of privacy. Didn't spend much time here but the staff were lovely and the house itself is gorgeous.

A bit far from the action. Getting back after midnight is an issue when trains stop.