Parthenon Hostel Reviews

310 S. Halsted Street, GreyHound Amtrak Stations, Chicago, USA

Great location, a shortish walk to the highlights of the city. More of a hotel then a hostel, not really a great place to stay if you're looking to meet people. Good sized rooms and comfy bunks with good sized lockers.

We arrived and paid over $100 more than we had expected - the 16% surcharge was not very clearly explained on the website. The sheets were extremely dirty on both beds, the wifi didn't work at all, and the staff were rude about the aforementioned surcharge. Wouldn't recommend this hostel - I've travelled Europe and this hostel was by far the worst one I have ever stayed in.

• 25th Apr 2013

Honestly, I do not get to travel much but when I do I LOVE to be fully immersed in the community I’m visiting. I so loved staying at The Parthenon Hostel for many reasons. The staff was super friendly and helpful, the facility was clean & safe and it is centrally located with short walks to amazing eateries, shopping, Museums, Art Galleries, CTA buses & trains.

• 18th Apr 2013

It was perfect. It's an older building, but it's quiet, clean, and the front desk staff were great the whole time! The bathroom was one of the nicer hostel bathrooms I've used, although the toilet stalls are tiny! Still, not a problem. The beds were decently comfortable and there are some great restaurants nearby. Free Wi-Fi too!

• 5th Apr 2013

Great Location. Modern and clean bathrooms is a big plus.

it is a good hostel,nearby union station.

• 29th Mar 2013
  • China

I expected much more out of this hostel.. The stairs creak a lot, the "hang-out" room is super small and extremely boring, and the bunk beds (at least the ones in my room) make an annoying sound whenever you roll over in bed..... Location isn't too bad but if you want to walk into Downtown and especially to Magnificent Mile, you're going to have a hard time. The bathrooms were pretty clean and the showers were go. The bed was also comfortable & the staff was decent.

• 22nd Mar 2013
  • South Korea

Great hostel for the money! Great location, couldn't have been happier with my experience! :) Thanks!

• 20th Mar 2013

friendly staff, nice location, very near the UIC subway station.

very accommodating. my only issue was the older gentleman that was overlooking the breakfast room. I had my foot on the back of a chair and he told me (not asked) to take it down. honestly, I don't appreciate that. I wasn't keeping a chair from someone else, destroying property, or breaking any rule. it was a little disrespectful to a paying customer.

This hostel was pretty nice overall. I stayed in a two bed private room, and the room was simple but very nice and clean. The beds were comfortable with nice bedding. The shared bathroom could have been bigger, but the water was hot and the bathrooms were clean. Some of the staff people are nice and some could be nicer. The older man who I think might be the hostel owner or manager isn't very nice, but the other staff seem nicer. The location was convenient, but not in a cute neighborhood.

Everything was great, with one exception. The first night of our stay, we had reserved a private room with 2 beds. When we arrived, the 2 beds were pushed together to form a queen sized bed with only one comforter. I was, then, forced to share a bed (although larger), when I would have preferred separate beds. Everything else was very enjoyable.

• 15th Mar 2013

I liked the hostel. good breakfast the thing i didn't like was: NO ELEVATOR! I had to carry a heavy luggage 2 flours up... And then some of the people working there weren't very kind...

I really enjoyed my stay at this Hostel. The location was great! Amazing Greek food and close to the downtown area (30 minute walk). The bathroom and showers were clean with hot water and the room was tidy and clean as well.

Good hostel, close enough to the main attractions to walk almost anywhere. Heating in the dorm was a little wonky... Woke up one night boiling and then the next night freezing. Bunk beds could have been sturdier, as everytime the person below moved it was like an earthquake up on the top bunk. Other than the heat and shakey beds, overall a decent experience.

• 11th Mar 2013

I have been to multiple hostels in Europe. This first the first time I stayed in a hostel in America. It is not like European hostels so if that is what you are expecting then don't book here. There really isn't a community room in which you can relax and meet new people. They do not allow alchol inside the building. When I was there there where minors in the hostel. There was not an accessible kitchen. No elevator. No heating or air conditioning. The people at the front desk where not helpful.

The location was great- super close to lots of good food and two blocks from the Blue Line, which was super convenient. Everything was really clean, which was nice. Our room was SO hot and stuffy, but we just opened the window and dealt with it. The people who worked the front desk were super nice, but the man who ran the place was really rude. He made me change out of a sweater and sweatpants for breakfast because he said I wasn't "appropriately dressed." He could have been nicer.

• 11th Mar 2013

Rooms were nice and clean but the bathroom became dirtier everyday we stayed there. Especially the showers looked like they haven't been cleaned all weekend.

• 9th Mar 2013

It was a good stay! The staff was very friendly and helpful! The room was clean. Only downfall was street noise disturbing.

• 28th Feb 2013

Doors and beds were kinda loud.

• 24th Feb 2013