Parthenon Hostel Reviews

310 S. Halsted Street, GreyHound Amtrak Stations, Chicago, USA

Good hostel, close enough to the main attractions to walk almost anywhere. Heating in the dorm was a little wonky... Woke up one night boiling and then the next night freezing. Bunk beds could have been sturdier, as everytime the person below moved it was like an earthquake up on the top bunk. Other than the heat and shakey beds, overall a decent experience.

I have been to multiple hostels in Europe. This first the first time I stayed in a hostel in America. It is not like European hostels so if that is what you are expecting then don't book here. There really isn't a community room in which you can relax and meet new people. They do not allow alchol inside the building. When I was there there where minors in the hostel. There was not an accessible kitchen. No elevator. No heating or air conditioning. The people at the front desk where not helpful.

The location was great- super close to lots of good food and two blocks from the Blue Line, which was super convenient. Everything was really clean, which was nice. Our room was SO hot and stuffy, but we just opened the window and dealt with it. The people who worked the front desk were super nice, but the man who ran the place was really rude. He made me change out of a sweater and sweatpants for breakfast because he said I wasn't "appropriately dressed." He could have been nicer.

• 11th Mar 2013

Rooms were nice and clean but the bathroom became dirtier everyday we stayed there. Especially the showers looked like they haven't been cleaned all weekend.

• 9th Mar 2013

It was a good stay! The staff was very friendly and helpful! The room was clean. Only downfall was street noise disturbing.

• 28th Feb 2013

Doors and beds were kinda loud.

• 24th Feb 2013

it is a very nice place and nice that there is a car park option

The location of the hostel is really good, you can walk to most of the sights. The bed-/bathrooms are clean and you have enough room. The breakfast is ok and it's worth its money. The only thing I was bugged off was that the staff was always observing you. The staff was not really costumer-friendly. They didn't show us our room. and my friend and I (both girls) had to carry our bags through the office to leave it there for the last day before we left to the airport.

Perfect place to stay! It is clean and very cheap too!

Breakfast was included which was great and you could help yourself. The rooms had locks which made leaving things feel much better and they looked after my bag the day I left so I didn't have to carry it around. They only had a microwave and fridge but at least you could make a meal using them.

The heating in my room (a private single) was too effective. I woke up my first night because the heat was stifling. I had to open the windows and let in some cold air (the temperature outside was easily 16 degrees Fahrenheit) to provide some relief from the heat. However during the day my room was the perfect temperature. I also thought the staff could have been a tad more friendly, especially to the guests who did not speak English as a first language.

• 21st Feb 2013

It is cool that it is not that far away from downtown. You can go there easily by foot. The breakfast is also ok. (toast, marmalade, eggs, milk, coffe, juices, bananas and cornflakes. A little disadvantage is that the kitchen and the laundry facilities are not in the same building and so you have to go outside every time you want to use it. All in all it is worth the money!

Vert Nice stay. Close to the loop, clean and friendly staff.

• 1st Feb 2013

I stayed in Parthenon Hostel only for one night. But next time in Chicago I would stay there again! Excellent location, very willing and helpful staff. Although the hostel is relatively big it keeps "homey" and friendly atmosphere (including very nice breakfasts). Recommended!

I was not allowed to stay in this hotel. The man behind the counter said I was not allowed to stay here if I was not a "citizen of Chicago." That is terrible.

• 30th Jan 2013

Seemed a bit of an afterthought to the restaurant next door but a perfectly acceptable place to stay, just don't expect anything special

Really good hostel. More than I expected. The breakfast was buffet style. The location is excellent.

Our stay was excellent and will be back on January 25 before we leave Chicago again. We will recommend those traveling to Chicago on a Budget to pick Parthenon Hostel and will not regret.

It was a fabulous location, quick walk to the city train, Greyhound, and Amtrak stations. A 15 minute walk to the Millenium park. CTA bustop on the corner to take a ride to state street if it's raining, or you don't like walking. Walgreens is a block away to buy a CTA bus pass, which I recommend if you plan on going to Museum campus (Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Planetarium, Soldier Field) or to the Science Museum (even further south). Overall, clean, friendly atmosphere. Will stay again. :-)

The location was very good. But they provide a very thin blanket for the night and Chicago was very cold when I was there. So I was cold when asleep because of the very thin blanket they gave. Other than that, the hostel was quite allright.