Pause Reviews

1 Pasero Street, Caye Caulker, Belize

We stayed in the private room that was apartment style. The room itself wasn't bad. And the person who runs the hostel was away at the time. My main concern was the way the animals were kept. There are approximately 50 cats who stay in cages all day. These cages are dark, small and smell terrible. For the two days we were there, none of the dogs were walked. And one dog is tied up all day because it runs away.

• 24th Jan 2015

I booked 3 nights & stayed for 6! When you come in knowing this is a cat sanctuary run by a woman who has a whole lot of good in her heart, then you can leave any hotel/resort accomdation expectations on the shelf & truly enjoy yourself. Tucked away on the quiet side of the island, free use of kayaks, free wifi (its all slow on the island), quiet itself, but you can come and go as you please. Everyone here is respectful, laid back, & of course all cat lovers! I would absolutely stay here again!

Madi was an excellent hostess-friendly and helpful. There are some very sweet dogs and cats on the grounds that love your attention, if offered. Adopting one to take home to the U.S. seemed like a very easy process. The property is kept tidy and clean. The two level dock and all of the outdoor seating was perfect. Having kayaks to use was just fantastic. Madi takes care to recycle and has a spot for organic food waste/compost. We would definitely stay at Pause again!

Not a kit happening at this place but the owner is very honest about the atmosphere before you arrive. Good location, good private tours as well.

Belize is laid back so dont expect 5 star accommodation. Pause is for animal lovers and those closer to nature. Located on the water and close to everything you can want. The owner is extremely friendly and helpful which guaranteed a great stay. We also jad fun fishing with her brother amd enjoying our catch at a sunset bbq.

The dock overlooking the water was an amazing touch, and the owner was an inspiring caring women.

• 31st Dec 2014

If you like animals - stay here. Free cajaks.

The noise of this place being really close to islands power plant was my biggest issue but it also was smelt due to it being a cat and dog sanctuary, plus the smell form the toilet/shower area was v.bad. It felt to me that the strict cancellation policy exists due to people like me turning up and waning to leave immediately. I left after 1 night though I was booked for 3. Fine for a free place if your volunteering tand I have nothing against the owner but its not for your few days in paradise

• 20th Dec 2014

Be aware, I have stayed in very cheap rooms all over the world. I left here after 1 day. The condition of my room, showers & bathrooms were dirty, the smell of urine in the bathroom/shower was heavy and the TP bin was never emptied. The showers had dead roaches and I was afraid to be in bare feet. You need to have a staff person cleaning. There was a loud power plant next door. I also worry about the cats, I thought they were better cared for, not caged. Sorry, I cannot recommend.

• 16th Nov 2014

PAUSE, is a NON-SMOKING hostel and it states so on HOSTEL WORLD, this person writes a bad review because we had to keep asking her NOT TO SMOKE and she was very rude and disrespectful toward other customers who are here for the NO-SMOKIING policy, blowing smoke in their faces plus insisting to bring strangers to her room when we informed her that only paid guests are allowed. Cats have a wonderful life here & everyone who comes here sees that, unless you just want to be wicked & cause problems

Absolutely excellent stay at PAUSE, the owner Maddy is a lovely person, very approachable, friendly and helpful and is very knowledgable of the island, being a long term resident. I stayed in the mixed dorm during my stay which was well equipped with two large, rotating fans, ample power socks and a couple of lockers for storage of valuables. The hostel itself has a wonderful private beach w/kayaks, which is great because beaches are very few and far between on this islands. Highly recommend.

• 26th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

I really loved my stay at PAUSE...it was probably the best place I've stayed in a month in Central America. The location is perfect – very quiet and literally backing onto the Ocean. the island is tiny, so it's near everything you need. Madi the owner was very welcoming and provided kyaks for free, which are perfect. the room and bathroom are basic but clean and comfortable. i also walked a puppy almost every day... oh, you definitely need to like dogs & cats to stay here! highly recommend.

View all Caye Caulker Hostels