Pension Amalur Reviews

San Martin 43 - 2iz, 20007, San Sebastian, Spain

I had a terrible bed that made the loudest of noises from the tiniest of movements. It woke up myself and the other guy in my room. Also, there were never any staff around when I had any questions to ask. As a heads up, the staff really don't know any English.

Would definitely stay here again - Miguel is so nice and willing to help. The hostel was clean (again, cleanliness also depends on the people staying at the hostel with you). Location is great - halfway between the old town and the beach. The wifi signal was weak - but to me that wasn't a big deal.

Staff barely spoke any English but with my little Spanish messages got across. My bed was extremely noisy. Every time I moved I woke up everyone else in the dorm. Also the lockers were not secure. I could open mine with and key or object. Not great. Place was cleaned everyday. Wifi was spotty at best. The power went out while I was there which was also not great but they were able to get it up and running in a couple hours. All that said, this place in minutes from he beaches which was ideal.

WHAT A PLACE! SAN SEBASTIAN WAS AMAZING AND IT WAS TOPPED OF BY MIGUEL'S HOSTING AND WONDERFUL HOSTEL. The location OF AMALUR was perfect, one block back from the beach. Rooms were great. Very secure. Clean. Safe. And comfortable. Met some great people. Will definitely be going back. ALL POSITIVE REVIEWS ARE TRUE. HAVE HEARD SOME GREAT THINGS FROM OTHERS.

• 2nd Oct 2014
  • New Zealand

Pension Amalur was one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. It is in a wonderful, central location, 5 minutes from the beach and all the restaurants and shops. The hostel is super clean, and you have fresh towels everyday along with house keeping which makes your bed for you! There are lockers for your valuables and a great common area which is wonderful for meeting new people. Miguel the owner is the best, I could not speak more highly of this place! Will definitely be back!

Awesome hostel! The owner is great and very informative about the city even though he doesn't speak English. Great clean friendly place to stay....I would definitely go back here!

This place is excellent. Well located,close to town centre,, we'll run by the friendly efficient Miguel. Comes highly recommended.

It's a cosy place and the owner is a perfect tourist guide; he's a local and he knows everything about San Sebastian (what to visit, what's on in the city at that moment, restaurants nearby, even historical background comments). There was a little problem with hot water, but he refunded us. The weather was great and beaches are beautiful; so I'll probably come back.

The manager was genuinely one of the nicest I came across. He doesn't speak much English but really did his best to help in whichever way he could. The place is tiny- 0 atmosphere , no kitchen and no real common area The place is cleaned daily. 2 blocks from the beach so awesome location

Only a minute from the beach! Miguel is very nice and welcoming. Housekeeping came daily, and although the kitchen was small, it was functional and clean. Very nice private rooms.

The old guy doesn't speak much English but more than willing to show u everything on map. Clean towels every day. Only issue is walls are paper thin n u can hear everything.

Best hostel I could have asked for, and I wish I hadn't had to switch to another hostel mid-visit (due to my own scheduling issues).

• 27th Aug 2014

The best of this pension is definetely its great location. It´s 3 min and 5 min by walking from the beach and the center/old town respectively. Miguel is a very kind person that is always up for helping so do not hesitate on asking him whatever you want/need.. My only negative comment is about the noise. In the morning the bell rings very often and you can hear the people coming in and out all time and that can be quite disturbing. But that depends pretty much on how noisy the people around are.

Amazing. Book it. The gentlemen that runs it is amazing, he is like your Gandpa. They have everything that you need including beach towels. I can not say enough good things about this place. They are very patient with English speaking people as well, which is a plus.

Great hostel in almost all ways. Only downsides were that there wasn't really a kitchen (microwave only; although with such fantastic food everywhere, who wants to cook!) and only 2 bathrooms for the dorm (always clean and not much of wait). Otherwise, a great place all round.

Miguel is an absolute angel! He gives you the rundown (and more!) of the city right when you check in. He also lets you sleep in on check out day, especially if you're crazy hungover. Everything is super clean, and although there's no kitchen, there's a fridge, a microwave, and coffee/tea making station. But who needs a kitchen when there's the most delicious pinchos around! Also, practically any location in San Sebastián is great, since everything is walking distance.

The owner, Miguel, is maybe the most friendly person I met in Spain. Very homey atmosphere.

The location was perfect, walking distance from the beach and the place was nice and really cozy. The staff was super friendly and helpful. One of the best services I've gotten. Really made you feel like you were at home.

Nice, clean, quiet and safe. Pretty bare bones, though. The pension owner speaks no English, but was able to communicate very effectively. He was very charming!

This hostel is made great by the owner. Fantastic character. He speaks very little English and we spoke very little Spanish, but it works. He showed us a map and pointed out everything we should do. We stayed in the private double which was lovely. Only minor Thing is that you can hear everything in the hostel. The walls are very thin.

View all San Sebastian Bed and Breakfasts