Pensione Ottaviano Hostel Reviews

Via Ottaviano 6 - Roma, Rome, Italy

The bathroom and the toillet was very dirty, besides the bathroom don't have place to put your stuff, like shampoo and towel, and you have to take your bath in a place of 50 square centimeters

Not a bad hostel. RIGHT next to the Vatican, as opposed to all the other hostels which are next to Termini... Staff seems ok (well, the young girl is nice, the old guy not so much-- someone said he pocketed their deposit and made them pay another; just a rumor). Bathrooms good, etc. The downside: often quite a bit of noise out the window, it's on a busy street. Also, I can't help but feel it was just a bit overpriced. Then again, every hostel in Rome appears to be vastly overpriced.

BED BUGS!!!!! We stayed 3 nights. It was hot, dirty and noisy. There was no common area The rooms were too small to begin with and they tried to add a seventh bed. When I complained the overwhieght manager in his late 30s yelled at me and acted like I asked for something incredible. The showers were too small and you have to mop the floor after yourself. You also have to shower with MEN AND WOMEN in the same room. None of that compares to BED BUGS! We found a dozen at least and were bit a lot!

Hostel is in good location, close to Vatican city and relationships relatively close to metro. My partner and I arrived around 22:00 and rang the bell, the receptionist opened the door and said 'you're going to wake up the whole building'. We paid €50 and were told we would receive the remaining €13 in change the following morning. Upon check out we were given €3, no documented proof of transaction. Would never recommend.

Very good hostel, clean cheap and great location (two minutes walk from St. Peter's).

You shouldn't expect much from a hostel, but this may have had the worst facilities of any hostel. No towels to rent, no a/c or sufficient air circulation and the door to our room did not lock. There's also no breakfast or even a stove top, which is not typical of the hostels I've seen around Europe. The location does not offer much in the way of food or sites, besides the Vatican. I'd recommend a hostel closer to the ruins.

This is my 2nd time staying here and they've improved a bit. Facilities were clean although the showers could use some ventilation and updating. There were very few people staying in the hostel so it was boring to hang around there this time. The man who works at reception seems very cranky or anti-social and he's never actually at the desk unless someone is checking in. The flattest pillows ever but they sufficed. Definitely a you get what you pay for place, although summer rates are high.

The staff were INCREDIBLY rude. I had to pay with CASH without any warning. The rooms were not locked and there was never someone at reception unless someone rang the bell. Everyday I came home the light of the toilet was on and the door of the room was wide open, as if someone had cleaned the room, but that was not the case!!! The "closets" were plastic boxes without lock. The blanket was very dirty. I was not allowed to cancel the last night, for which I asked as soon as I entered the hostel.

The staff was very nice. She was always ready to answer all our questions. Our room was ideally located with a huge window that faced the outside stores and street. The room was windy and fresh always. The only setback might be the shower and the bed. The shower was a little cramped with the cubicles smelling a little funky; and the bed was an overly soft spring bed that sank a good half a meter when sat on.

The staff, the girl working there, not the guy was noisier than the guests, and she refused to calm down, which is rude and disturbs the guests who already rest or sleep. Location of a private twin is awful - near the bathrooms and toilets common for the hostel, which will provide a constant 'flush' sound to youк sleep, and you can not escape it. Either you are deaf or you are lucky to have polite travelers staying with you. But be aware, that in case of a group of young Amaricans/etc-poor :(((

Best location super closed to the vatican. You can find small grocery stores in the same block that can help you save lots of money. Its located by a metro stop witch is good for transportacion.

A stayed with my wife in Pensione Ottaviano Hostel May 6.-10, 2014. I booked twin private room a and I was surprised to see tiny room with tiled floor furnished with bunk beds, worn out sofa and 2 folding stools. Only 1 of 2 bare saving bulbs shone, on the toilet you had to push button 12 times to wash and on the balcony was incredible mess. In my opinion, in spite of excellent location, quality of accommodation does not match the price. Especially bunk beds in "ensuite" should be mentioned in descripti

• 6th May 2014
  • Czech Republic

The bathrooms and showers could be a lot cleaner. The staff were helpful with info. Location was great as it was close to a metro, plenty of shops. restaurants and supermarkets nearby. There was a lock on the outside door on the street and another lock to get into hostel, but no locks on the bedrooms themselves. There were lockers in the rooms, you needed your own lock for them.

• 3rd May 2014

Location was perfect, can't get any closer to the Vatican, considering there are so few hostels in this area. Facilities were numerous, separate shower from toilets. This was a plus. I commend them for having wifi available in rooms rather than only in the lobby. The rooms were quite roomy and clean. Reception desk usually non-existent unless you call/buzz on them. Felt like you have to do things on your own. No way to buy towels, so be prepared for this. It's quiet inside, not a party place.

We have paid 90€ for one night as for high level hotel. We had to brouth our own towels!!!! The doors were always open and our suitcasess weren't safty. The bathroom were old and dirty. The price should be 15€ for night ...

• 26th Apr 2014

For the budget backpacker it is interesting to see how, for example, Polish and Italian hostels compare. Free breakfast (albeit modest) is almost standard in Poland. Clean bathrooms are a given. 24 hour reception - standard. My stay at this hostel was ok but nothing remotely interesting. No breakfast, limited reception hours and a bathroom where it was up to you to mop up after somebody else. Also, the lock out session is ridiculous. The beds were cheap and rickety. Still better than nothing.

Staff were lovely, its in a good location. But showers could do with an update

• 21st Apr 2014

Okay, while the location of this hostel was amazing and walking distance to the Vatican/St. Peters Sq. it was not worth the stay. Reason being: during my stay at this hostel I had gotten bed bug bites. This was most disturbing and these bites plagued me for the majority of my trip (3 weeks in total). Obviously the cleanliness of this hostel is not up to par. I highly recommend staying else where and taking the metro to the Vatican to save yourself the discomfort.

Bed bugs. I was bit all over my body. Also cover were stained and full of bad odor.

• 14th Apr 2014

when I stayed there,there are some family.they seemed to stay long time.they always complained others,and always selfish.that was incredible i have never experienced in my hostel life.so I never come back this hostel,if they stay there.