Pentlands Backpackers Hostel Reviews

22 Pentland Avenue, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

Great hostel, great kitchen. Very clean. I really liked the MASSIVE tv in the common area! It's a bit out of town but the local bus passes very close by and is a quick trip into the centre

You have to pay for internet , that was the only bad thing.

• 26th Mar 2014

Internet is expensive in most parts of New Zealand but we do have one of the cheapest rates. You can get; 300MB for $2; 1GB for $5 and $3GB for $10. New Zealand is being upgraded to a better internet at present.

Perfect to stay! Clean, friendly...

Excellent quiet place, I have stayed here more than once and I am made to feel welcome by Vinnie every time. It would be nice if they had more toilet bathroom facilities in the morning to avoid queues. Other than that, I am very happy there and will stay there every time I visit Auckland!

Thank you for your kind feedback. We are glad you have enjoyed staying with us and we will see you again. Happy traveling.

Nice, clean and friendly. If you want something away from the centre of Auckland and the big chain hostels this is quite a nice place. Just a shame about the lack of toilet facilities separate from showers, ment cueing for a while to just use the loo in the morning.

Would recommend this place if you like a chilled out atmos, the garden is a great addition to a hostel and perfect for sunbathing. The place is nice and clean and the price is very fare. The internet is a bit of a joke but if you've been in NZ long enough you will know this is the case everywhere! Its nice and close to shops and you can get discounts at a few places if you tell them you're from the hostel. Great place! A+

• 26th Feb 2014

Wonderful time!

Location was fine if you have a car, but it's not near central Auckland. Walking distance from a few streets full of restaurants and bars. Quiet atmosphere and comfortable beds make for a good night's sleep.

well appointed and friendly hostel

The receptionist in the day time is ok, friendly & helpful, but the receptionist in the evening is terrible arrogant female. A chubby long hair girl, i bet she has discrimination to Asian. when I asked her the info about the transport from the hostel, the nearest bus stop and time table, etc, no matter what kind of questions i asked, she just answered 'I don't know'. this should be free consultation by the hostel, but in the end, i have to purchase the internet package to check by myself

• 11th Feb 2014
  • Malaysia

You will be glad to know that she is not working with us anymore. We respect our guests and want them to enjoy a nice, happy, family atmosphere at our hostel.

Pentlands was recommended to us by friends and we were not disappointed. Everything we needed was well within walking distance - supermarket just down the road, a high street of shops including takeaways, post office, banks etc. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and other backpackers to be really social. However - the mattresses were not the most comfiest and the pillows were pretty pointless. We were glad to see the bunk beds were wooden - they're not as noisy as metal ones!!

The place to be in Auckland : nice atmosphere, deck and garden. Love it!

• 2nd Feb 2014

A good hostel located in a suburb of Auckland (Mt. Eden. The city centre is an hours walk or 10 minute bus ride away). There is a large supermarket and several high streets of shops close by. Facilities are excellent, clean and tidy. Pentlands offers a very different and more laid back hostel experience compared to the larger backpacker hostels in the city. Very much depends on what you're after, but my stay at Pentlands was very nice indeed.

Easy to get to from the airport or the city centre, and nicely outside the hustle and bustle of the city. On the coast-to-coast route if you fancy picking that up part-way, and internet access, whilst paid for, is cheaper here than at many, so long as you buy at the counter. The staff are excellent, and the outside areas are great for a sunny day.

The location is great if you want slightly quieter outside of the hustle and bustle of the city. Not great if you want it all right on your doorstep. Brilliant hostel though and great staff!

I loved the place! It's in a really nice area, very quiet and home-like. I had heavenly 12-14 hours-sleeps after a long trip!

• 31st Dec 2013
  • Croatia

The cooking area in the kitchen can be a bit bigger, may be another stove, more apread out so we did not have to congregate in the small space over 2 sets of stoves.

Hi, the Pentlands is situated close to Mount Eden - a wonderful peaceful place very close (10 min.) to the city. I especially choose it because I did not want too much city and crowds of people. Close to the Hostel you find everything you need for your stay. There is the Mt Eden shops - it is like a village with shops, restaurants and pubs - post office and everything you need. I went to Pentland when I was arriving back from my trip around the northern Ireland - heading back home. Enjoy!

Great place to start or end your travel in NZ. Cosy, friendly place, with staff ready to give you advice or just chat to. Clean, well equipped kitchen, and spacious showers (no more squeezing with your toiletries and clothes into tiny stall). I regret that I stayed there only 3 days.

It's a very friendly nice quite and beautiful place in Auckland. You have just a couple of minutes to the famous Mount Eden. The hostel offers quite good rooms which get cleaned almost every day. The kitchen is also very clean and tidy. I recommend to stay there ;-)