Pentlands Backpackers Hostel Reviews

22 Pentland Avenue, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

The receptionist in the day time is ok, friendly & helpful, but the receptionist in the evening is terrible arrogant female. A chubby long hair girl, i bet she has discrimination to Asian. when I asked her the info about the transport from the hostel, the nearest bus stop and time table, etc, no matter what kind of questions i asked, she just answered 'I don't know'. this should be free consultation by the hostel, but in the end, i have to purchase the internet package to check by myself

• 11th Feb 2014
  • Malaysia

You will be glad to know that she is not working with us anymore. We respect our guests and want them to enjoy a nice, happy, family atmosphere at our hostel.

Pentlands was recommended to us by friends and we were not disappointed. Everything we needed was well within walking distance - supermarket just down the road, a high street of shops including takeaways, post office, banks etc. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and other backpackers to be really social. However - the mattresses were not the most comfiest and the pillows were pretty pointless. We were glad to see the bunk beds were wooden - they're not as noisy as metal ones!!

The place to be in Auckland : nice atmosphere, deck and garden. Love it!

• 2nd Feb 2014

Lovely quiet,bright and clean hostel in beautiful location.

A good hostel located in a suburb of Auckland (Mt. Eden. The city centre is an hours walk or 10 minute bus ride away). There is a large supermarket and several high streets of shops close by. Facilities are excellent, clean and tidy. Pentlands offers a very different and more laid back hostel experience compared to the larger backpacker hostels in the city. Very much depends on what you're after, but my stay at Pentlands was very nice indeed.

Easy to get to from the airport or the city centre, and nicely outside the hustle and bustle of the city. On the coast-to-coast route if you fancy picking that up part-way, and internet access, whilst paid for, is cheaper here than at many, so long as you buy at the counter. The staff are excellent, and the outside areas are great for a sunny day.

The location is great if you want slightly quieter outside of the hustle and bustle of the city. Not great if you want it all right on your doorstep. Brilliant hostel though and great staff!

I loved the place! It's in a really nice area, very quiet and home-like. I had heavenly 12-14 hours-sleeps after a long trip!

• 31st Dec 2013
  • Croatia

The cooking area in the kitchen can be a bit bigger, may be another stove, more apread out so we did not have to congregate in the small space over 2 sets of stoves.

Hi, the Pentlands is situated close to Mount Eden - a wonderful peaceful place very close (10 min.) to the city. I especially choose it because I did not want too much city and crowds of people. Close to the Hostel you find everything you need for your stay. There is the Mt Eden shops - it is like a village with shops, restaurants and pubs - post office and everything you need. I went to Pentland when I was arriving back from my trip around the northern Ireland - heading back home. Enjoy!

Great place to start or end your travel in NZ. Cosy, friendly place, with staff ready to give you advice or just chat to. Clean, well equipped kitchen, and spacious showers (no more squeezing with your toiletries and clothes into tiny stall). I regret that I stayed there only 3 days.

It's a very friendly nice quite and beautiful place in Auckland. You have just a couple of minutes to the famous Mount Eden. The hostel offers quite good rooms which get cleaned almost every day. The kitchen is also very clean and tidy. I recommend to stay there ;-)

Lovely house, nice rooms and big bathrooms. Only minus from the old-fashioned water taps in the kitchen, washing the dishes could be much easier if they would be raplaced with new ones :)

Very good hostel. Lots of cleaning going on all the time, lockers in the kitchen, lots of movies to watch to chill in the evening. Location-wise, it's great when you have a car. When you're on foot, it's a bit harder but you have to get used to those NZ hills anyway! Would go back and recommend.

Hostel with good facilities in charming Mt Eden neighborhood. Was good for a short stay.

a homely place

• 9th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

Second time staying at this hostel, but only 1 night this time. Nice quiet and pretty location in Mt Eden and staff are very friendly. The kitchen and cooking facilities are a little too small for the size of the hostel so best to cook at odd times when it's quieter. They have everything that you need though. Bathrooms are proper bathrooms, which I like and always found them to be clean. Not far to a big Countdown supermarket and bus stops to take you into the city or to the airport.

I had a lovely stay at Pentlands - after it being recommended by a friend. I stayed in a 3 bed dorm, which was clean and quiet. The facilities - the big kitchen, lounge room etc were all well-looked after. People staying there are friendly. My only complaint is the internet is expensive! You a free amount when you check-in, but it doesn't last that long, and I ended up having to twice buy credit - one lot I brought for 24 hours and it ran out after a few hours and I had to buy more!

• 31st Oct 2013
  • New Zealand

The hostel is located in a beatiful residential area. The guy who runs it is extremely friendly and helpful. Mount Eden is only a walking from the hostel and you can see a panomaric view of all Auckland. Only stayed here for a night but I wish I could have spent more time there.

Winnie and John were very nice tu us and helped us in every situation like where to get a car, bank account, ird, nice views over Auckland and so on. I'll be there in about 6 month again! :)

• 24th Oct 2013