Peppertree Lodge Reviews

15 Kings Road, Paihia, Paihia, New Zealand

I am an 18 year old female travelling New Zealand on my own. I booked a mixed dorm at the pepper tree lodge and was very surprised to find out that I was the only female amongst 7 other males. Although it is a decent enough place it made for a horribly uncomfortable stay. I also found the guy running the place to be rude and unhelpful

• 9th Apr 2014

Bed Bugs. They devoured me so bad in one night that within 72hours I had to see a Dr, who gave me steroids and antibiotics. The owner moved my room the second night but promptly placed two new people into the old beds of me, and another girl who was also bit.

You and i both checked the bed you slept in and there are no signs of bed bugs, and you agreed there were no tell tale spotting on the sheets, but none were showing. i contacted the person who slept in that bed the night before you arrived and they had no bites, i have, had folk in that bed every day since, and they have had no bites. Bed bugs dont bite one person and dont arrive in numbers, they breed and build numbers, you may have been bitten from bed bugs but 100% guaranteed not from here.

This was by far one of the best hostels I've been in in New Zealand. Large rooms with plenty of storage possibilities. Very nice staff and free bikes and other materials. I only stayed here for a night due to lack of time, but if I had the time I wouldn't have left here in a long time. Definitely THE place to stay at in Paihia!

This hostel is lovely and the cleanest we have been too, just set back from the beach and 5 min walk to town is ideal. This is a quiet hostel but you can go over to base for the nights. The staff are all really nice and welcoming. The massive tv with loads of DVDs to choose from its a big bonus too, and the kitchen was really big. I would just suggest lockers in the rooms and a better refund policy.

Harriet, our refund policy based on the cancellation policy, 24 hours prior to first time of check in. I am not sure why you have a issue with it. You paid for the night, the day before around 10 am, then the following day decided to leave and at 9.30am on that night you had booked and paid for, and were quite miffed when i did not refund that night. Whilst there are rare exceptions these are few and far between, I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday. bryan

Peppertree Lodge was a great place to stay in Paihia- my sister and I paid for a twin private and were upgraded on arrival to a studio which was great! The use of the free bikes and kayaks made our trip highly enjoyable, keeping our costs down as activities in Paihia can be quite pricey. The rooms were clean as well as the common areas. Friendly staff and a 3 min walk to the beach. Thanks for a great stay peppertree!

• 25th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, come again.... regards bryan

Tour desk was excellent. The staff was knowledgeable and helpful

Tour desk is first-rate

sercurity appears to be the area where people seemed concerned, we have private security lock up the main kitchen etc at 11.30pm, and reopens it at 5.45am, plus they patrol through another 3 times during the night, furthermore a freind of mine at 2am after the bar he works at also does a walk through. All the locks on the doors are new, the only thing I do not have are sercurity cameras, as I think they are intrusive, big brother springs to mind

Cosy, a great atmosphere and lovely home away from home.

thank you for taking to do a review, I am pleased you enjoyed our small hostel, hopefully you will return, regards bryan

Amazing and friendly hostel, really helpful staff. Large clean communal kitchen and BBQ area. Would recommend and definetley stay again!!

The staff were brilliant and really helpful and friendly. Kitchen and bathrooms were both immaculate and it was nice having en-suit in all the dorms. The hostel had a really nice atmosphere although was very noisy at night (ear-plugs needed!!). We felt security was not great though and did not feel out stuff was secure. No lockers in dorm (although common to NZ), and door permanently left open. Also having to pay for wifi in this day and age is daft!

Pretty good hostel overall but with two flaws: 1. REALLY loud at night. Not from the hostel but from Base just across the street... and that's every night 'til 2 am... 2. Quite far from the supermarket, though there are a smaller supermarket (more expensive) less than a km away and a convenience store (even more expensive) on the same street. The hostel is actually really good if it wasn't for the noise from across the street. So buy ear plugs at the dollar store in town!

Henrik, thankyou for the rating, the noise has been dampened since the new liquor legislation came into force on the 18th. The major supermarket (countdown ) is 1.2 ks away and the smaller 4 square is 600 meters away, not a lot i can do to move them, but without a car, cheaper shopping is a planned mission. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in NZ.

Rosey on reception was a gem. Full of helpful information about the area and tours.

Jonathan, we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay here, not sure why.