Peppertree Lodge Reviews

15 Kings Road, Paihia, Paihia, New Zealand

Beautiful hostel, very clean! Big tv and lots of movies to watch :)

absolutely perfect. spotless, comfortable, in a gorgeous town, superb value for money. we came just to relax for a few days after months of vineyard work, but its also perfect for a weekend getaway, lots of things to do. we even stayed an extra night. really, really nice.

Meg, glad you enjoyed your time at peppertree lodge, the weather was kind to you as well, hope you enjoy the woofing further north, both of you are welcome back any time, summer is better than winter. regards bryan

The Peppertree was a short ten minute walk from town, located down Kings St next to the other hostels. Bryan was really helpful with recovering my lost wallet. It was awesome to get a discount and wifi when I booked my Hole in the Rock tour. The kitchen was well equipped and a great place to meet other travelers.

Vanessa, thanks for the review, albeit I am a tad perplexed with a 3 for facilities, what more do I need to provide? Anyhow enjoy your travels bryan

Very friendly Homestay owner

• 29th May 2014
  • Malaysia

Owner was helpful and lent me a torch for evening walk up bush trail. No complaints and recommend to anyone a place to stay.

James, I was worried you would get lost using the torch on your phone, did not want to send the rescue teams out to find you, I was pleased you agreed to take it, and used it. Rather safe than sorry is a apt expression. Enjoy the rest of your travels and come back in summer if you get time, regards bryan

Great owner/staff with very useful tipps and very nice to chat to. Clean room - no old and dirty carpets in there. Had a great stay at peppertree lodge. Only minus point: if the other guests are not considerate about the noise at night, it can get pretty loud. However, staff takes care of this.

• 22nd May 2014

thankyou for taking time to write a response, safe travels for the rest of your trip. I agree the noise is sometimes other just not taking into consideration other folk.

Great hostel, with a very friendly and helpful manager.

Gina, thankyou for your review, you need to come back in summer,

Great location, enjoyed my stay!

thankyou for the review, please come back in summer

Very good situation, lots of movies available, cosy sofa, good kitchen equipment, good size dorms (8max) and lots of ensure rooms for families. Free canoe and bikes. Good beds not noisy!! Bad: not enough plugs in the room.

thank you for taking time to write review, looks like I need to invest in a few more multi plug boards. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Enjoy the rest of your travels....... bryan

Good hostel, cheap price, great location. the manager came and kicked us out at 10:30 for playing drinking games and first complained about the noise at 9:30, we were outside and not obnoxious, it was a friday night, pretty lame.

• 18th Apr 2014

some folk are really quite loud with high voices and when drinking the volume is on full. I was phoned by two of my neighbours before 9.30 and then at 9.40 by another guest that was staying, asking could I get the noise to desist, I possibily should have recorded it so you could have heard it the next morning, Was not banter, but a on going high pitched screech.

Loved this place!!

thank you for taking time to write a review, come again

Excellent hostel. Management staff very helpful. So close to the beach. Would highly recommend this hostel to any travellers.

glad you enjoyed the stay, come again bryan

Pretty sure I had bedbugs although the guy running the place checked and promised me there weren't. Bathroom is accessed from outside which is fine if you don't mind all the bugs that therefore fly or crawl in. Great value for money though, great location, opposite Base, 15-20 min walk to Woolworths, 5-10 mins to town/wharf/library (free wifi). I probably wouldn't stay again due to the amount of bites I came away with but my friend didn't get as many so perhaps I'm just unlucky!

Stephanie, I turned that whole room out after you left, checked every sheet waterproof, mattress, then the 8 beds in that dorm, the slats using a thin plastic, under the slats and every bed was 100% clear, people in all those beds since and not a bite mark between any one. Whilst you were there I checked your and your friends sheets, not a mark on them , and nothing to show unwanted visitors. I also fumigated that room, and not a dead body to be found, so not sure what nibbled at you

I am an 18 year old female travelling New Zealand on my own. I booked a mixed dorm at the pepper tree lodge and was very surprised to find out that I was the only female amongst 7 other males. Although it is a decent enough place it made for a horribly uncomfortable stay. I also found the guy running the place to be rude and unhelpful

• 9th Apr 2014

with the variation of naming conventions it is difficult to always pick the sex of a on line booking, most folk go to a 8 bed mixed dorm , purely on price, and mixed is just that- mixed. We were unable to move you to the other 8 bed dorm as that had no availibility, I think my only interaction with you was when you asked and to the mix, and at that time i had no idea, you need to go into smaller dorms,i remember you were not happy when advised I couldn't not move you or give you a gender split

Bed Bugs. They devoured me so bad in one night that within 72hours I had to see a Dr, who gave me steroids and antibiotics. The owner moved my room the second night but promptly placed two new people into the old beds of me, and another girl who was also bit.

You and i both checked the bed you slept in and there are no signs of bed bugs, and you agreed there were no tell tale spotting on the sheets, but none were showing. i contacted the person who slept in that bed the night before you arrived and they had no bites, i have, had folk in that bed every day since, and they have had no bites. Bed bugs dont bite one person and dont arrive in numbers, they breed and build numbers, you may have been bitten from bed bugs but 100% guaranteed not from here.

This was by far one of the best hostels I've been in in New Zealand. Large rooms with plenty of storage possibilities. Very nice staff and free bikes and other materials. I only stayed here for a night due to lack of time, but if I had the time I wouldn't have left here in a long time. Definitely THE place to stay at in Paihia!

This hostel is lovely and the cleanest we have been too, just set back from the beach and 5 min walk to town is ideal. This is a quiet hostel but you can go over to base for the nights. The staff are all really nice and welcoming. The massive tv with loads of DVDs to choose from its a big bonus too, and the kitchen was really big. I would just suggest lockers in the rooms and a better refund policy.

Harriet, our refund policy based on the cancellation policy, 24 hours prior to first time of check in. I am not sure why you have a issue with it. You paid for the night, the day before around 10 am, then the following day decided to leave and at 9.30am on that night you had booked and paid for, and were quite miffed when i did not refund that night. Whilst there are rare exceptions these are few and far between, I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday. bryan

Peppertree Lodge was a great place to stay in Paihia- my sister and I paid for a twin private and were upgraded on arrival to a studio which was great! The use of the free bikes and kayaks made our trip highly enjoyable, keeping our costs down as activities in Paihia can be quite pricey. The rooms were clean as well as the common areas. Friendly staff and a 3 min walk to the beach. Thanks for a great stay peppertree!

• 25th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, come again.... regards bryan

Tour desk was excellent. The staff was knowledgeable and helpful

Tour desk is first-rate

sercurity appears to be the area where people seemed concerned, we have private security lock up the main kitchen etc at 11.30pm, and reopens it at 5.45am, plus they patrol through another 3 times during the night, furthermore a freind of mine at 2am after the bar he works at also does a walk through. All the locks on the doors are new, the only thing I do not have are sercurity cameras, as I think they are intrusive, big brother springs to mind