Pfefferbett Hostel Reviews

Schoenhauser Allee 176, Berlin, Germany

2017 Total Reviews

The place is nice, maybe a bit too commercial. staff was bad. One receptionist was super unfriendly. My bag got lost (or stolen) in the main lobby. They didn't seem to care for a second. It took me 10 min to get someone to listen to me. told me he'll check around and just disappeared! They didn't let me do laundry after 10:00pm. I understand such a rule but it should be clearly told to guests in confirmation or in person. Showers smelled badly. Will look for another place next time in Berlin.

The place is an architectural site in itself. Clever repurposing of an old building and re thinking of its interior spaces. The staff members are all treasures. The most positive and helpful and humorous I have encountered in 5 Euro cities. I will let all my friends in U.S. about this cool and affordable option.

First impressions were good, with the hostel being in a really cool neighbourhood with lots of bars and nice places to eat. Across the road from a train station that takes you to most places. Good lounge area with garden and games, so great atmosphere. The biggest let down was the showers. The only run for 10 seconds at a time and are mostly cold. They're also quite moldy. I went in straight after the cleaner but there was still hair all over the place. Not a great start to the day.

The room we paid for states an en suite which we thought would be for our dorm of 6 but in fact was for the wing of around 10 rooms so we were sharing with roughly 40 people. This made the whole wing smell like urine and this was very unpleasant. For being 35 degree heat and only dropping to 30 at night you would expect air conditioning especially when you have guests from cold Scotland but there was none! We in fact could not stay the night and packed our bags and relocated!

The location is nice and the hostel is really clean. The lockers in the rooms are very easy to use. A big problem though : there is no kitchen and no fridge. Hard to live on a budget without that.

This hostel was great, clean and secure. It's not exactly in the centre but not too far to reach the main centres by public transport. A few things were slightly annoying, for example when we visited in August it was 35 degrees and there was no air conditioning so the room was really hot. Also one of our lockers didn't work in our room so we had to share a locker and the wifi only works in the lobby. The hostel atmosphere is great though, there's a great bar and beer garden to relax in.

• 7th Aug 2015

Would definitely recommend! Stayed in a private four bed form with en suite and could not fault it in any way.

This was a pretty good hostel overall. Location was great and it was nice to have a bar in the hostel. However, not being allowed to bring alcohol back to the hostel was really inconvenient. Also, some of the staff were extremely nice and others were kind of rude.

The hostel itself was nice, but the wifi was terrible. Since it only works in the lobby/bar area, if I wanted to have a quiet call home (which I can only do with wifi), I'd have to shout over the noise of the bar and all of the people downstairs.

The receptionist was confused about the check-in time and that pissed me off a bit (as a matter of fact it is 3pm); also the Wi-Fi only works in the reception area and the signal kept dropping on the first day. They had to reboot it later and eventually it worked decently. Except that, the hostel is just perfect!

very cool, great indoor and outdoor spaces. staff can bit a bit distracted sometimes. close to the metro.

Excellently placed hostel just in the centre of the interesting parts of Mitte and at the gates of Prenzlauer Berg. Quite crowded during summer weekends. Still mostly nice, helpful and professional staff. Definitely recommendable!

Very nice hostel overall, well located from main attractions. A few minor things - no air conditionning in the rooms and the plugs were not always working in the room either. We had to notice the staff at least once a day.

Awesome hostel. The staff were brilliant, couldn't have been more helpful if they tried:) I'd recommend this hostel to anyone!

• 31st Jul 2015

best hostel we've stayed in so far, room was spacious (6 bed) and beds are sturdy, you can hang things round it, underground right outside. Staff were terrible, rude especially at breakfast where they were awkward and would make you pay a set buffet price even if you just wanted a glass of juice. Close to sightseeing areas, lots of communal space making it easy to socialise including a garden and a front garden with games, mixed age of people there but generally young adults. Would stay again!

The location wasn't the best spot. And wifi are pretty slow and this give me a hard time to plan my trip especially the wifi is only available at the bar. But the atmosphere was good and the staffs are really helpful on giving suggestions about what and where to go for in Berlin.

This place has a lot of potential. It's in a tricky spot if you are not familiar with how Berlins public transport works. Wifi only in common area, so the whole bar is always filled with people on their phones. Need to encourage more social atmosphere

The location of this hostel is great. In an adorable neighborhood (with lots of restaurants, cafes, and bars nearby) and also right across from a Ubahn stop. Most points in East Berlin are definitely walkable from the hostel too--I had no trouble walking to the Berlin Wall Memorial or to the main sites by Brandenburg Gate. If location matters to you, this is a great choice!

No kitchen access. Some staff were unnecessarily hostile. Cleanliness was good but had to request to have toilets cleaned.

When we arrived there was no-one on reception, after 5 mins we found a staff member who was rude, drunk and useless. Another guest said his girlfriend had lost her phone to the receptionist to which he replied 'I can't help you, i'm busy drinking' . The room was really nice but there was ridiculously loud music blaring until 4am (on the 3rd floor we had to close the window and it was still really loud) other nights were not like this so I assume this one staff member ruined our experience.