Phil's Haven Reviews

Rua do Lazareto 148, Funchal, Portugal

Very nice mansion, but not very good located. The Hosts are very friendly and helpful! Thank you for the nice stay

• 6th Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

No doubt the friendliest place on the island and a joy to stay there. The multilingual owner is a font of knowledge about what to do on the island. Best backpackers hostel at which I have stayed in Europe. He also does a marvellous rum punch

I stayed at Phil's Haven for several days whilst I was preparing to run an ultramarathon in Madeira and I had a great time there! The hostel is clean, fun friendly and the owners are just fantastic. Phil and his partner Anna take a real interest in their guests and go out of their way to try and help you. I would really recommend this hostel to anyone that is travelling to Madeira - and I will be back again :)

• 10th Apr 2014

Very good value for money. Phil is an excellent hosts. He was always availbale for some advice.

• 8th Mar 2014

It is the perfect accommodation if you are travelling alone, packed with lovely people. Phil is delighted to give super useful tips about visiting every single corner of Madeira. He knew I wanted to practise Portuguese and whenever possible, he spoke Portuguese with me, which I greatly appreciated! He organises airport transfers early int he morning when there's no public transport. Fantastic host and lovely hostel!!!!!

I loved my stay at this hostel. Phil knows all the local information and the hostel has a very friendly atmosphere with get togethers on Saturday night if you want to attend. If you don't have a rental car, you can catch bus 40 from the waterfront in the city centre to the hostel if you don't want to walk to the hostel. The bus stop is just a few metres past the front gate. Madeira island is a great place to go to, and Phil's Haven Hostel is a great place to stay.