Phoenix Hostel Reviews

6 Daventry Street, London, England

The hostel is conveniently located about 5 mins walk from edgware road station, and in terms of location, security and comfortability, I would give 2 thumbs up for this place. Kudos to the staff managing it. The room was albeit small for 9 people but it had a good atmosphere.

• 5th Jul 2014
  • Singapore

The staff and the general atmosphere are really great. Although it seemed like the lock for our room was deactivated most of the time, the fact that only a staff member can let us into the general dorm area makes this hostel a lot more secure than most. The lockers were not reassuring but we didn't end up feeling like we needed them. The bar downstairs, great location and cheap breakfast are all major pluses! The bathrooms could definitely be a lot cleaner but I've seen worse.

Above a pub and serves Vegemite for breakfast. So would definitely stay again!

I appreciated the free computer in the lobby and the atmosphere was good for meeting people; however, the toilets and showers were quite dirty and in need of repair. The people were nice, and the breakfast was cheap and convenient, but I would not choose this hostel again due to the bathroom facilities.

Stayed for two nights here in the 10 bed mixed room. 10 beds = two triple decker beds + two double decker beds in a 5x5 meter room. Very very cramped room. Rooms are locked using number combination locks. No keys. Lockers are small. There's one bath, one toilet and one bath toilet to share with everyone. Wifi is good. Distance from the nearest Underground (Edgware Road) is good. Walking distance from the London Central Mosque.

Staff was really great, clean bathroom and bedroom, beds are a bit cramped but nothing too terrible for the price, close to the tube, bar was a bit pricey but nice to have right there for solo travellers. Overall nice experience and I would stay here again.

Triple bunks were extremely squeaky and inconvenient. Only two power points for a room of 6. Bathrooms were of wildly differing sizes but were all equally unclean. Bedrooms were TINY with barely any floor space.

Quite a nice hostel for a night near Edgeware Road. The free breakfast was great, staff really friendly and helpful and all the facilities you would expect. The bar downstairs is cosy and atmospheric and it's easy to meet fellow travellers. Great to watch some World Cup matches on the big screen here. Comfortable beds, would recommend.

Stayed in a ten bed mixed dorm. Good location right next to Edgware Rd station; cheap breakfast which was nice, and free wifi. Rooms were creaky and there weren't enough plugs. Fine in every way, but tiny and not as nice as some of the YHA hostels in London.

There is quite no water pressure in showers, so it's hard to have the right temperature and therefore take a decent shower.

• 27th Jun 2014

I had a great time at Phoenix Hostel. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and tidy (someone would clean it once or twice daily). Although the rooms were a bit small (I lived in a 14 people room), it was a good environment for meeting new people. The bar downstairs had nice atmosphere and closes at around 11 or 12 so won't affect your sleep. For the price I paid, and especially in such an expensive city as London, I would recommend Phoenix Hostel.

Good spot. Nice staff.

Really friendly and helpful staff. In a nice quiet location near a central tube stop. Great value for being in London.

The first guy who greeted me at reception was really nice, but later the other receptionist didnt speak any english, hard for a traveler in a new country.

Amazing hostel great atmosphere and staff was great and helpful especially Paul was awesome. I will definitely stay here the next time I visit london.

Good value for money. Showers are a bit dodgy, but the beds are comfortable and the staff are friendly.

We enjoyed our stay at the Phoenix. Great location close to edgware rd underground station allowing you to get to anywhere you needed in London. Good facilities and beds. Wifi worked well in common areas. Great value for money in expensive london. Lost points for one of the staff members who we found to be overly rude on a number of occasions. But it was only one the rest were fantastic! Would definitely stay again.

Aengus is the best

• 18th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Very old facilities and mould in the shower as well as big queues in the morning for the shower rooms. Also, I found the 3-bed bunk beds quite difficult to sleep in. Furthermore there were only two plugs in a room for 14 people... If you're looking for something cheap then I guess this hostel is alright, especially since it's super central and offers an average breakfast for only £1.50. However, compared to all the other hostels I stayed at all over Europe for less money this one was the worst!

Friendly, helpful staff. Great location. Bit annoying having to use the keypad every time you want to enter the room. Would be helpful if you had the option of renting as opposed to having to buy a towl. I found the 3-bed bunk beds quite difficult to sleep in. I was on the top bunk, and found that I felt all the vibrations and movement from those below me. Enjoyed having breakfast in the downstairs bar in the morning.

• 7th Jun 2014