Phoenix Hostel Reviews

6 Daventry Street, London, England

Very old facilities and mould in the shower as well as big queues in the morning for the shower rooms. Also, I found the 3-bed bunk beds quite difficult to sleep in. Furthermore there were only two plugs in a room for 14 people... If you're looking for something cheap then I guess this hostel is alright, especially since it's super central and offers an average breakfast for only £1.50. However, compared to all the other hostels I stayed at all over Europe for less money this one was the worst!

Friendly, helpful staff. Great location. Bit annoying having to use the keypad every time you want to enter the room. Would be helpful if you had the option of renting as opposed to having to buy a towl. I found the 3-bed bunk beds quite difficult to sleep in. I was on the top bunk, and found that I felt all the vibrations and movement from those below me. Enjoyed having breakfast in the downstairs bar in the morning.

• 7th Jun 2014

Paul was cool as hell! Very professional and thorough introduction and was pleasant. Let me use a charger and a phone so I could get a hold of a friend in the city. Thanks Paul!

Very cozy hostel, friendly staff, decent wifi.

I only have one not good thing to tell about it. When we left the hostel, we should come back there two weeks later and one of the guys asked me to send him an e-mail for booking us again. I did it. But he never booked. I sent more than 3 e-mails and in the last day, almost getting crazy about waiting so long for that, we decided to book another one, wich, unfortunately for Phoenix, we loved more. So, well, I dunno if I could come back again. Their fault after all.

Good: Great location, short walk to Edgware Road and Marylebone tube stations, quiet neighbourhood, friendly staffs, free wifi (accessible in the lobby, unstable in the rooms), cheap breakfast (only £1.50) Bad: Luggage storage not free (£2), bed very squeaky - even a slight body movement or a cough make the bed squeak like a dozen trains passing through a railway crossing... (Curiously, only my bed squeaks... The other beds in my room don't. I guess I'm just unlucky.)

This is a great little hostel! The staff are really friendly and helpful. The atmosphere is open and friendly. Has a really safe feel with no weirdos staying. The 18-35 rule is great! The staff do a good job of keeping the place pretty clean too. Thoroughly recommend this hostel to any young traveller who wants to meet other cool people.

• 30th May 2014

The Phoenix is a well located hostel, well priced with a friendly vibe, located 3 minutes walk from Edgware Road tube station you can be on the circle and city lines in no time. There is a well priced bar down stairs and the staff are very friendly and helpful, particularly Mathilde the breakfast girl she had some great recommendations about cuisine in the local area and are was one of the reasons I really enjoyed my stay here. All in all if you're in London I would recommend "The Phoenix" :D

We were here in the beginning of June and enjoyed our stay. Pretty chill place, and the staff were pretty cool too. Have to pay for breakfast but it was cheap from what I remember. Only issue, if you can call it that, was the outlet was far from our bed by a wall.

Nice hostel, no kitchen, the only place you can have a drink is downstairs in the bar. Which means you can only buy alcohol sold at the bar. So it gets pretty expensive. Matilda and Paul were both very friendly and helpful. I would stay there again.

We had a great stay ! Very nice staff ! We want to thank especially Mathilda since she was so attentive,nice and welcoming! She definitely made our stay even More awesome! Very clean hostel ! Only 1.50 pound for breakfast. We definitely recommend it!

• 24th May 2014

Phoenix hostel is a great place to stay, beds are comfy and clean, the only thing that I disliked was the fact they used keypad locks instead of card/keys. Every time you wanted to go upstairs you had to ask a staff member which seemed kind of annoying. Other than that the staff are very friendly, Paul was lovely and was always up for a chat. Matilda was super friendly and always had a smile on her face! I would stay there again. - Thomas

Great people, quite a good place especially because of the friendliness of the staff. The room was not especially big but everyone was friendly If you are travelling alone (and even if you're not)I recommend using London's "Barclay Bikes", £2/ day or £10/ week, there's a bike station just across the road and it's the cheapest and most enjoyable way of getting around the city. Hostel location is quite good, a quiet area near Paddington station, not too far from St Pancras and Euston.

• 18th May 2014

I was lucky to have such a great first hostel to stay at in London!, I was there for 2 weeks and didn't once have a problem apart from the no cooker part. The Atmosphere was really chilled out and comfortable, like a home away from home, Paul and John where always there for a chat and a laugh, this was the best way to start my time in London. I'll most defiantly be back and i'll recommend Phoenix to anyone travelling to London! -Claire

Nothing to complain about.. The rooms and toilets were clean, the staff was awesome, the breakfast was really good and the atmosphere was friendly. Really enjoyed staying at Phoenix!

• 14th May 2014
  • Portugal

For my stay i enjoyed a lot the hostel.Very friendly staff, like scotish paul / parisian girl High recommended

• 12th May 2014
  • Spain

In this word: Phoenix ! Will come back for sure :D

Amazing hostel! John, Paul, and Mathilde are some of the best staff I've encountered. The pub style common room is always full of guests and off duty staff hanging out and playing the board/card games provided by the hostel. Breakfast is self serve continental and at 1.50 pounds the best deal you'll find in London. Located near some awesome ethnic districts, with straight bus or tube transit to all the tourist sites and down the block from a few grocery stores. Most guests can't stay away!

• 9th May 2014

Very good staff, always there to give you informations, help and make your trip enjoyable. Good location, close to both of Edgware Road stations. Safe environment. The room and facilities are clean but not luxurious. An excellent value for money !

I planned on staying at the Phoenix Hostel for two nights but ended up extending twice. You normally don't see a staff so attentive and actively seeking to help. I was carrying a lot of luggage and they were prepared when I arrived early in the morning. I have stayed at several hostels and had to stay out waiting for them to open. Any question I had on the surrounding area they had the answer or would help research transportation on the Tube or trains.

• 7th May 2014