Phuket Backpacker Reviews

165 Ranong Rd. Maung T. Taladyai Phuket, Phuket, Thailand

Great atmosphere, friendly and sociable staff. Had a great stay here, but dorms are a bit small.

The pictures online make the place seem a lot better than it really is. It's a cheap place to stay, but you definitely get what you pay for. The two main problems I had were that the dorm room walls didn't go all the way to the ceiling, so the noise was really bad...and the bathrooms/showers were awful...dirty, smelled bad, and zero hot water.

Very good communal area with helpful, friendly staff. Nice atmosphere. Only gripe was private rooms being in a different building where the wifi signal was poor... which is a shame when you pay more for the room. But great hostel!

DO NOT GO HERE. The hostel is nice but it has BED BUGS! We were not allowed to move rooms or even have clean sheets - apparently they were locked away and only the cleaner could get access in the morning! We also saw a mouse / rat inside the lobby area which is probably not that uncommon

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Directions on webpage are incomplete and it took us an hour from the bus station to find the place. When you get onto main road from bus station, turn RIGHT. You have to go around and past a roundabout. Better yet bring a phone and call. Clean rooms with good beds and shower. Our first night we got put in their annex building where the wifi does not work and it feels weirdly desolate. Cocktails at the bar suck. Price is good though. The place has a party scene. Large common room, dirty couches.

We had a great stay at phuket backpackers.There's not a lot to do around the area. You can take a bus to patong, Karon and kata beach for 35baht which takes about half an hour. The staff was helpful whenever we ha a problem. The first night we stayed in the second building but there was an extremely strong chemical smell. They happily moved us to the main building and the room there was perfect. The private room you have your own bathroom and big tv. They have a great DVD collection!

Rude and unhelpful staff, they just sit back and get drunk behind bar. When you ask them to help fix your broken AC they act like its a huge burden on them to keep their facilities running. Private rooms don't have wifi at all. Not many restaurants around or things to do. Overpriced (but so is all of Phuket). Would never stay again.

This guest house is also a 24 hours bar, located in the phuket town, far from Patong Beach but easy to get the bus to go there with only 50baht. Phuket town is nice, very easy to find the cheap and good food. I have found a 22 baht sticky rice and fried chicken wing at the street! The staffs are helpful and cheerful, I am happy to stay here and meet a lots of nice friends.

Had a great time at Phuket Backpackers, staff was great, very helpful and reasonable! Make sure to bring toiletries!

• 31st Oct 2014

I was supposed to stay here for 1 night and ended up staying for 8 days. the staff was great. the girls are so adorable and super sweet. if you want to stay in phuket town I reccomend this place. they were very accommodating. A+ when it comes to most of the hostels I've stayed in. wish I could have reviewed all of them but did not book them all with hostelworld.com. cheers guys! thanks for having me!

Staff so happy and friendly all the time. Thai guy (wish I remembered his name) worked night /morning shift was amazing. I got really sick from some street Pad Thai and he did everything in his power to make me feel better. The only thing that really didn't help was they don't turn AC on in dorms until 10pm on off season, so with my upset tummy and trying to get rest that didn't help, but I am sure they would have turned it on if I asked. LOL

Wish staff interacted more

The hostel itself has a good location in phuket town near the buses to the beaches. the social areas are nice and open, there was one guy who worked there who was a bit of a muppet but the girls are all great. the food from the restaurant was quite nice as well and reasonbly priced, though if i was to recommend somewhere to eat id go to the little cafe in the produce market we dubbed "the place to be" 50baht for a large chang! bargain, and the owner is hilariously miserable.

• 30th Jul 2014

Really nice hotel but the old town is dead we payed to stay for 2 night and moved to patong after 1 as we got bored

• 20th Jul 2014

We spend a night here after comng over from koh phi phi, its a well run backpackers, big social area, lots of DVDs and a big tv to watch them on, the staff were very helpful, we only stayed one night as that's really all you need to see the old town. Only bad point was our room was not in the main builting, but 3 doors down and behind another business. But apart from that it was a good stay!

The hostel is pretty good but unfortunately the toilet and bath facilities are very limited.

• 24th Jun 2014

Very impressive hostel! Great downstairs area with DVDs, computers, bar, restaurant, pool table, board games, books etc. bathrooms were clean. However the sliding dorm doors had no lock