Pineapple Park Kona Reviews

81-6363 Mamalahoa HWY, Kealakekua, HI 96750, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

Cute, clean. FYI: Front desk closes at 9 pm. If you are arriving on a later flight, contact the hostel ahead of time so they can have someone let you in. They were willing to send someone over to let me in at 10 pm since I arrived at 9:00 at the airport. I would definitely stay at this place again when I return to Kona.

• 22nd Mar 2015

Busy place especially over Spring Break. We were upgraded to a separate room since we were a mixed group and would have been spread out over a bunch of dorm rooms. Very clean for Hawaii. Great view, nice common spaces. The front locks at 9PM so make arrangements to get the gate code or get in earlier. WiFi was good. Staff was pleasant, but rather busy. Shower area could have had a changing room. Bit of a drive from the airport. Should offer discounts for groups to compete with Air B&B.

The place is very nice and quit but very far of everything. If you don't have a car, hitch hike is the second option because the bus comes maybe every 2 hours and on sunday its completely closed. The supermarket is far as well but you can easily go by walk to capitain cook trail. Also the hostel is VERY CLEAN! No doubt the cleaners are doing a great job.

AVOID in any cost. The most HORRIBLE hostel I ever been to. 1. Location: 25min driving outside Kona. 2. I had literally to BEG the manager for 1/2 hour to be allowed to shower after a night dive, despite the fact that I was promised so during the check-in. It was 10:30pm. Instead, she tried to throw me away from the hostel!! 3. The staff is rude. 4. I booked a bed in 6 beds dorm. Instead, I was given a bed in 8-bed dorms which is also a corridor to access another room!

• 3rd Mar 2015
  • Israel

I really loved to stay in Pineapple Park Kona!!!! Staffs were really friendly and always try their best. The rooms were clean and neat. Captain cook was really close and also the supermarket was just across the street. If I have chance to go Maui again, I will be stay here again!! (even I want to visit Hilo) I want to say thank you to every staff, especially Annie. I will always remember her sincere and warm-hearted friendship. Thank you, Annie! Hope to see you soon and wish you be happy!!

• 24th Feb 2015
  • South Korea

In a pinch it was good, especially as I needed to say on the Kailua-Kona side and its waaaaaaaaay cheaper than trying to stay in Kona solo. But be warned THIS PLACE IS FAR AWAY FROM EVERYWHERE IF YOU CANT DRIVE. The atmosphere seemed nice though and some regulars there are ace (Bobo for example, is a legend). But its run pretty strict for a place thats supposed to be relaxed and you have to be quiet early on in the night because its a residential area.

• 22nd Feb 2015

Great location but stingy owner. Shared baths close at 10 pm. No breakfast which is stated as included on the website. Unfortunately, not many hostel options in the area so this owner has no motivation to impress or take care of guests. Friends were given a horrible private room by main office.

• 14th Feb 2015

friendly staff, nice overview over the sea, good deal for the price

When hostelworld gives you a price including taxes but when you arrive they charge for taxes anyway? 21,18 %. A privateroom was not worth 115 $. We chose this hostel because it seemed like a better deal than airbnb but in the end it was more expensive, really badly handled. the building was nice, fresh, you could feel they had renovated it. Location not near Kona. Didn't explore the neighborhood much so can't say what's there. Can't say I will be back.

• 30th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

Private room wasn't cleaned for the five days I stayed there. I retrieved clean towels and toilet paper myself. Expensive like everywhere else on the Big Island. Hostess is curt but usually available. Fellow patrons are engaging and diverse. Location is probably as good as possible in this district. Everything is spread-out and connected by a busy highway. This hostel is hiking distance from a brilliant snorkeling/swimming/exploring location.

• 6th Jan 2015

worst attention ever.. I will never back there.. Also is pretty far from Kailua kona city center..

Great hostel! The room, kitchen, showers and chillarea were clean and good! The location is not in the centre of the town, but the bus (hele-on) is stopping in front. The view by Sunset is amazing!!!

• 31st Dec 2014

I have been backpacking for two years and have never come across such a rude hostel owner and I am from a frigging third world country! She started yelling at me that I have to leave the hostel premises because I was past the checkout premises. I was just taking the time to say goodbye to the acquaintances I met at the hostel. I understand she a business to run but please don't ruin our vacation by being so mean. All we wanted to do was have a small talk and say goodbye to room mates.

Was fine for what I needed.

• 15th Dec 2014

It was really quiet when I was there and not a very friendly vibe. The location is so bad unless you have a car although it is really close to captin cooks trail. It's a decent hostel otherwise but it bugged me how the locked the showers from 10pm-6am.

Annie is your typical cranky Korean Mama-san in that she rules the premises. But I gotta say, she put on a kick-ass spread on Thanksgiving Day. She brought all us Americans home for the day and showed the internationals how we Americans pig out on that special holiday. Besides, it wasn't the first time a woman yelled at me...

This hostel really felt like a home away from home. The management was not trying to squeeze out your pennies and was very welcoming and accommodating. Even though it's not down in Kona there is still lots to do and the view of the hostel was INCREDIBLE. Recommend for sure!

• 27th Nov 2014

I phoned to cancel my reservation and obviously they kept it and charged me $40 for it (hostel dormitory!!!!!!). That is not cool and not honest.

Staff not willing to open the entrance-door at night although we had announced to arrive at 23 o'clock. Refund of 6£ not gotten, but we had to pay 98$ instead of 2x 27$. Asking for this refund, we where thrown out, persons incl. baggage.

A great location! It was a nice atmosphere and fun group of people.

• 11th Nov 2014