Pineapple Park Kona Reviews

81-6363 Mamalahoa HWY, Kealakekua, HI 96750, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

Although the hostel was charming + clean, it is SUPER far (so expensive to get to. The staff was not very helpful and pretty much here to hammer us with the many rules more than to make us feel welcome. We had booked for 6 bed mixed dorm but got beds in an 8 beds one (no warning, apologizes or reimbursing the price difference). Please note that the one night only fee is NOT included in the hostel price so we paid nearly as much as for a private!! Only 2 showers for all shared bath guests.

• 7th Feb 2016

Nice hostel, friendly staff, water outage, bit noisy at night

I did not stay there. But I passed by it while in the area, it is very far from Kona. Must have a car if you stay there.

The hostel is located in Kona, but is 10 miles away from Downtown Kailua-Kona. Nevertheless, all the other places are distributed around the island, so at the end it doesn't really matter where you stay. MUST HAVE SOME KIND OF WHEELS TO VISIT ANY PLACE IN THE ISLAND

The Atmosphere was very nice. But it Really is a bit far out. Without a rental car its quite a pain to get there. And attention : if you're only staying ohne Night it is 7$ extra!!!

We thought that the hostel was very good even though the location is not perfect. It is close to the Captain Cook Memorial, but nothing else. The facilities were great and it had a very nice atmosphere. The only problems we had was that although we had organised a transfer with the hostel for the evening they would not hold our luggage in a secure place and said that we were not allowed to wait in the hostel until our transfer. We found this a little hard to take seeing we had spent $160/night.

• 4th Jan 2016
  • Japan

I was impressed with the hospitality at this hostel. I felt the main staff person while I was there had a genuine attitude of caring towards my stay and my well being. The expectations were clear and gave a sense of community as everyone worked together to create a friendly and pleasing environment for all.

• 30th Dec 2015

We were very happy with this hostel. We chose it because we had an early flight out of Kona the next day, but soon regretted not planning to stay longer. We had previously stayed at Air BnB closer to Kona, but it was just a room. The hostel offers socializing with fellow travellers, advice about where to go, kayak and snorkeling gear rentals, etc. next time, we will plan to stay longer to enjoy more of the amenities. Thank you!

• 30th Dec 2015

It was in the middle of no where, and the staff did not offer any advice on how to get to town.the staff were extremely rude and reluctant to help us and answer our questions about our concerns.

• 24th Dec 2015

Sorry to read you had a bad time, but have you consider that maybe your reluctance to do ANY research of the place (the island indeed) was the problem? About the staff, well, we don't really know what you're referring to due to we saw the staff in several occasions answering several questions to you in particular. About the "in the middle of no-where", uhm... pretty much everything is in the middle of no-where due to everything is spread around. Nonetheless the place is just 7 miles from D.T.

This hostel location is far from the downtown and located in a high way which you can not go anywhere without a car. I am really frustrated and feel unrespected by the receptionist/owner of the Pineapple Kona Park hostel. She was teally rude and nasty to me. Annie Park, she kicked me out immediately after check out time 10am and not allow me to even leave my luggage there or even sit there for few mins. I have to leave out of the hostel immediately!! I have no place to go!!

• 18th Dec 2015
  • Vietnam

We took a few days to travel to the big island there was only vacancy in Pineapple park. We knew we had to get a rental anyway so the fact it was out of the way didn't bother me much, but if you didn't have transportation you would be left high and dry staying here. It's about 20-30 min south of the kona airport. Other than that our room was great, the shared kitchen was a little messy, but we didn't use it much if at all.

Our stay at the Pineapple Park Hostel exceeded our expectations. We stayed in a private room with a private washroom for a very affordable price. The room was beautiful, clean and had chairs and a table on a balcony just outside our back door. The staff were friendly, welcoming and provided us with resourves free-of-chage that helped us explore some of the hidden gems on the island. Strongly recommend this hostel when staying on the big island!

• 14th Dec 2015

Stayed here for tow nights. Very clean and det staff was so lovely. had a great time here, You will need a car to get around. it is fare from everything. Beaches, the town and the airport. The district is so huge.

• 14th Dec 2015
  • Norway

The Host is a wonderful person who is also very organized and manages the Hostel very well. The hostel is close to several great snorkeling spots. The community areas are super. The cooking are is not crowded. It was a great experience.

If you promptly close the kitchen and showers at 10PM, the please also open it at 6AM as advertised. Or change the time to 6:30AM. During the 4 days I stayed at the hostel only the first two was coffee ready by 6:10. The other two days, it was closer to 6:30AM.

No comments but COFFEE DOES NEED TIME TO BREW. Is not like opening the kitchen and coffee is ready... Nonetheless, the kettle is working since the very first moment we open the kitchen, so instant coffee is ready 6 sharp. Hope that even though the coffee wasn't ready at 6 sharp you had a nice time at the place...

I like the staff very welcoming and nice! I would stay again.

• 18th Nov 2015
  • Turkey

There is nothing around the hostel. You'd need a car for everything. The time we went there the hostel wasn't busy at all and the people staying there were smoking weed all the time and were really weird. A lot older people, too. Would look for another place next time.

Thanks for your comments but we feel the need to inform you that just 2 miles down the hostel is Kealakekua Bay, where you can fin the Captain Cook monument and one the best snorkeling places in the world; just across the Bay you can find also Ke'ei; a few miles after you can fin Pu-Ohonua O'Honaunau where you can find another super snorkeling spot as well as the City of Refuge; a couple of miles down the road there's also Ho'Okena Beach Park... October is considered low season...

The hostel was located north of Kona and you really needed a car to get around; then the location was very accessible to lots of activities: Dolphins at Two Step Beach, Place of Refuge, Captain Cook monument, little towns nearby with shops & galleries, Kona downtown a short drive to restaurants etc, Hulihe'e Palace (take the tour), snorkeling with big turtles at Kahaluu Beach Park, hula at shopping centers north of Kona. The hostel had a great outdoor common area, nice kitchen,crammed parking.

• 17th Oct 2015

So I booked two dorm beds in this hostel through and we had a planned balance to pay for a total of 60$. We ended up paying 82$ total for 2 beds in a hostel in an 8 bed dorm! ! That's crazy. And when we asked the woman told us it was some house keeping charges because we were staying here only one night. And that the prepayment we made was only going to hostelworld, which is a lie... When we asked people staying in the hostel, we actually paid more than people staying in a private room! !

You're so welcome to read our policies (ONE NIGHT FEE FOR DORMS AND PRIVATE ROOMS) also you may want to know that you have to add TAX to every price in the US. Finally, if you check WRI's policies you will notice that indeed the deposit is WRI's fee, not the hostel's, so no lies... So, in resume, yes $60 would be the price for two beds in a dorm, plus tax (13.42%) plus $7 each as a one night fee. Hope this make things clear. Mahalo

I had a great time at Pineapple Park. The staff was great and very helpful. They always make sure that the guest are taken care of. Annie did an awesome job :) My recommendation is to make sure to rent a car or to share a car with other travellers as you really need it to get around the island.

• 10th Oct 2015

This place is a bit of paradise on the island. Clean, friendly and comfortable. The views are fantastic so plan on watching the sunset some night from the second floor.

• 5th Oct 2015