Pineapple Park Kona Reviews

81-6363 Mamalahoa HWY, Kealakekua, HI 96750, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

Great place! Friendly and nicely located close to the trail to the Captain Cook monument.

Unfortunately I didn' have a good stay there. The management is really strict and close the kitchen and bathroom at 10 PM (so if you want to eat something from the fridge... you can't. And if you are coming back an excursion and want to take a shower.. you have to beg for the key and you are not welcome). The hostel is not clean!! The check out at 10 AM.. if your stuff are still in room 10 min after .. you are going to be charge! And the management ask you to leave the hostel immediately

The showers were locked after 10pm which was a bit strange and frustrating for anyone diving at night. Also, the hostel was quite far from the main city area.

strict policies makes the stay at this hostel less enjoyable. example: check out time by 10am, no hanging out or leaving luggage after 10am. shower lock down at 10pm. steep cleaning fee in addition to the dorm/room cost. and anything you might ask for comes at a price (like late check in). and it's far from kona.

We're so sorry if the check-out time make staying less enjoyable. So far not know of a place without a check-out time :/ About the special fees: It is all explained in the hostel description. No surprises: 'If you are staying only one night there will be a special extra fee of $7 for dorms and $14 for private room'

Good facilities, but the lady in charge is incredibly rude.

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

too many additional fees. the usually friendly atmosphere of hostels around the Hawaiian islands here is diminished by the business-like administration of the hostel: strict sign-in and sign-out times (no exceptions, no hanging around after signing out), no refund policy at all, showers close down at 10pm!!!? steep extra charge for cleaning. Too many restrictions.

nice place to stay with an awesome view of the ocean!

• 19th Jun 2015

Great friendly place with relaxed staff who are always at hand and helpful. Found it really relaxed, quiet and safe. Kitchen, bathroom and social areas are all very clean and functional. Location is a little way out from Kona but there are plenty of facilities near by or across the road and you have Kealakekua Bay almost on your doorstep.

• 6th Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

Had a private room so did not use the hostel facilities. Everything was fine except the owner. She was just unfriendly.

Showers and kitchen close 10pm sharp!!! Air in the dorm is bit smelly. There is plastic under the mattress. Probably the cheapest place you can find. You need a car to get there. Lovely terrace!

Very nice staff, great hostel, you need a car to get there.

Small and quiet, nice to relax and meet new people. I prefered this one to the noisy, full party hostels in Waikiki Beach...

My mixed group of four stayed at Pineapple Park Kona for one night, and they were extremely accommodating. The staff helped us check in quickly when we were in a rush to make a dive booking, and when we returned late that night, they had moved us to a room that only holds four people, so that our arrival didn't disturb anyone else. This was perfect for our group and, I'm sure, for other patrons. If I return to Kona, I would stay here again!

• 18th Apr 2015

Cute, clean. FYI: Front desk closes at 9 pm. If you are arriving on a later flight, contact the hostel ahead of time so they can have someone let you in. They were willing to send someone over to let me in at 10 pm since I arrived at 9:00 at the airport. I would definitely stay at this place again when I return to Kona.

• 22nd Mar 2015

Nice hostel if you have a car. The hostel owner was strict but friendly and gave me good advice, like where I could swim with dolphins close to the hostel. I slept only 2 nights in March and was there only in the evenings, so I can't say anything about the atmosphere. I would stay there again.

• 17th Mar 2015
  • Switzerland

Busy place especially over Spring Break. We were upgraded to a separate room since we were a mixed group and would have been spread out over a bunch of dorm rooms. Very clean for Hawaii. Great view, nice common spaces. The front locks at 9PM so make arrangements to get the gate code or get in earlier. WiFi was good. Staff was pleasant, but rather busy. Shower area could have had a changing room. Bit of a drive from the airport. Should offer discounts for groups to compete with Air B&B.

The place is very nice and quit but very far of everything. If you don't have a car, hitch hike is the second option because the bus comes maybe every 2 hours and on sunday its completely closed. The supermarket is far as well but you can easily go by walk to capitain cook trail. Also the hostel is VERY CLEAN! No doubt the cleaners are doing a great job.

AVOID in any cost. The most HORRIBLE hostel I ever been to. 1. Location: 25min driving outside Kona. 2. I had literally to BEG the manager for 1/2 hour to be allowed to shower after a night dive, despite the fact that I was promised so during the check-in. It was 10:30pm. Instead, she tried to throw me away from the hostel!! 3. The staff is rude. 4. I booked a bed in 6 beds dorm. Instead, I was given a bed in 8-bed dorms which is also a corridor to access another room!

• 3rd Mar 2015