Pineapple Park Kona Reviews

81-6363 Mamalahoa HWY, Kealakekua, HI 96750, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

I stayed in a private room with a bed for two, and a private bath. It was of the same quality, cleanliness and size as I would expect from a hotel room in a newer hotel. It had a nice balcony, and the staff was very pleasant. I chose it because it is located across the street from a World Class SCUBA dive shop, Espace Plongee. Pineapple Park Hostel had good kitchen facilities, an outdoor dining area, and full cable access in my private room with WIFI every where on the premises.

• 5th Apr 2014

nice personal, very clean, but the owner is very grumpy and not really nice.

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • Switzerland

The hotel is partly open concept, which means the common rooms and washrooms are open air, which in turn means that bugs get in easily. This is unfortunately what happened to us - we saw huge cockroaches in the kitchen and in our room, and we left right away, disgusted. Also, the kitchen is closed at 10pm so you cannot get your food later than that. The rooms do not have any security lockers and the doors do not have any locks on them, either.

Annie the owner would move personal items without saying. "Quirky" personality. Felt I was being spied on! She has favourite guests. If you are not 1 of them you are ignored. Too far away from Kona Town. No buses on Sunday. Car is required to get around. Only a few other nice people there made it a good stay. I would not return. Nice lounge and TV area to relax and lots of chairs. Beach, shops are not close. No lockers for belongings. Doors left open for airing during the day. Not secure.

I missed hot showers, lockers and friendly staff.

I thought it was nice, cleen and quiet. Annie was nice the dog Lucy was a queen,left a good impression.Though try to lighten up a bit Annie, even if people are assholes they are still the ones you make a living of, if you ease up on rules, it would help give a better impression from costomers: example; when the girls came in after a delayed flight and wanted to make some food, it was about ten to 10, yes kitchen close at 10 but they where starving, bend the rules now and then,just a tip =)

Spent 6 nights here, not the best value for money. Rooms were very small, started with a twin room, but got moved to a double the next day. Quiet time is meant to be 11 - 8, but the first night, my partner was kept awake by someone chatting very loudly on the phone, right next to the room, in the early hours of the morning. In general, quiet time didn't seem to be adhered to, and the other hostel users weren't particularly friendly. Not good value for money, wouldn't book there again.

Nice hostel but the host is not very friendly. She tries to make additional money where she can, e.g. if you loose a snorkeling gear she charges you $60 for a gear that probably costs not more than $20-30.

• 2nd Mar 2014

I didn`t stay in this hostel, and I have difficult to cancel my reservation. Actually, I didn`t cancel it. I sent four emails and got only only answer, and they didn't solve my problem.

The owner was so obssessive. She wanted to add a lot of other charges on the top of the price listed on the website. So ended up she wanted me to pay $39 per day instead of $30 per day. Be careful with that woman owner, she is a shark. I did not stay, and I tried to cancel it for 3 days before the arrive date, and Hostelworld do not even let me.

• 24th Feb 2014

We loved the spacious outside sitting areas in the back (away from the street) where we could enjoy our self-prepared meals and chat with other guest. We met a lot of interesting people from around the world and had a lot of fun. Due to the elevation (~1400 feet) it's pleasantly cool, but still warm enough to sit in a t-shirt at night. One disadvantage is that there is nothing one can do without a car, not even a short evening stroll. However there are plenty of nice places within a short drive.

• 14th Feb 2014

I have never met an owner that unfriendly before. if you book a 6-beds dorm, be ready to stay in a 16 beds-dorm. also, if you need a ride somewhere, if the owner proposes you to drive you, be ready to pay the price ! oh and if you check out, there's nowhere you can leave your luggage in a safe place while enjoying your last day there (or the public reception became one ?). I have been refused to take a shower after a stay at the beach before my 40 hours journey back home.

Great little hostel in an excellent location if you have a car and want to be close to the best snorkelling spots in the island, we booked 2 dorms beds and got a 2 bed dorm all to ourselves! The owner is very helpful with lots of useful information about activities and printed out directions ready to go to the best locations! Great kitchen and seating areas overlooking the sea and sunset! Very clean and great value! Wishes we'd stayed longer! Thanks

As we arrived the owner welcomed us and informed that non of us (group of 11 people) is not getting what we booked for.I was offered mixed dorm with amount of bed exceeding 10(lost count) instead what I booked mixed dorm for 8.There was three double rooms booked only one of them was delivered,rest had to stay together. The owner refused in a rude manner to open bathroom for the only person who booked single room en suite.Owner rude and yelling at me.Kitchen closed at 10 pm so are showers.

Okay spot, lady was very business like. Only thing I was bummed about was I booked a six bed room. I showed up and it was a 18 bed room. Lady said it's okay only 8 beds taken; however next morning every bed was full. Ironically, I had a good sleep, not a very loud place. Only neg. bathrooms- two main toilets that barely flush tp. Place works.. Close to Captain Cook. Two nights I would say perfect. Any more, nothing to do and far from Kona (need a car) bring own snorkel. They rent $13.

I really enjoyed staying at the hostel. Anie, was an excellent hostess, very helpful and kind. She doesn't smile much though, maybe that's why some people thought she's not nice- don't judge a book by its conver. :) The only thing you should know about the place is the location. You will definitely need a car to get there and around. Airport shuttle buses don't go there unless you pay over 40 dollars. A transportation that the hostel provide is cheaper.

Friendly staff, clean and comfortable. There is a really good italian bistro just a few feet up the street!

It's not the hostel's location, it's the bus service that sucks in Kona. You better drive or book the shuttle beforehand, otherwise it's gonna cost you $65 or so for the taxi ride from Kona International Airport. But to go around the island, you better drive.

Public transportation is poor. You need a car if you want to discover this part of the island

• 2nd Jan 2014

Annie was a dope owner and she looked after us well. The hostel has a sweet hawaiian laid back vibe, too. Only downside is that it is about 15 mins from the Kailua-Kona area. Definitely recommend the stay though.

• 28th Dec 2013