Pineapple Park Kona Reviews

81-6363 Mamalahoa HWY, Kealakekua, HI 96750, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

Annie is your typical cranky Korean Mama-san in that she rules the premises. But I gotta say, she put on a kick-ass spread on Thanksgiving Day. She brought all us Americans home for the day and showed the internationals how we Americans pig out on that special holiday. Besides, it wasn't the first time a woman yelled at me...

This hostel really felt like a home away from home. The management was not trying to squeeze out your pennies and was very welcoming and accommodating. Even though it's not down in Kona there is still lots to do and the view of the hostel was INCREDIBLE. Recommend for sure!

• 27th Nov 2014

I phoned to cancel my reservation and obviously they kept it and charged me $40 for it (hostel dormitory!!!!!!). That is not cool and not honest.

Staff not willing to open the entrance-door at night although we had announced to arrive at 23 o'clock. Refund of 6£ not gotten, but we had to pay 98$ instead of 2x 27$. Asking for this refund, we where thrown out, persons incl. baggage.

A great location! It was a nice atmosphere and fun group of people.

• 11th Nov 2014

Annie runs a fabulous, clean and comfortable hostel. The facility itself has lots of comfy open-air spaces, a super-clean kitchen (with random fruit showing up for everyone from the trees) and a basic dormitory. Part of the charm is Annie herself. Take some time to chat with her and you'll find a lively, lovely character. But keep the kitchen clean!

• 4th Nov 2014

1. The plumbing should be upgraded. Toilets did not flush well. 2. Felt grudgingly accepted, friends felt gruffly treated. 3. The building was a little "rabbit warren like".

• 23rd Oct 2014

Really nice staff and good atmosphere in hostel. Location is a bit out of town but close to some awesome local attractions.

A good experience overall, great place to meet people from around the world, comfortable atmosphere and a helpful staff. Its a little out of the way and you really need a car as the bus service on the big island is almost non existent. The dorm space is a little tight but manageable and the beds are comfortable.

• 12th Oct 2014

Landlord is super rude and tight - money seeking. If you ask to borrow a towel, a google, beach-shoes or anything that she might have, she ll laugh at your face saying "borrow? - I rent it! 2 dollar!!". She was walking around, looking, making you feel uncomfortable. To be fair, its okay to charge for things but not this ridiculous way! There were cockroaches everywhere which were just ignored. This is a humid area and cockroaches are inevitable, but in this case they were just ignored.

• 1st Oct 2014

Cleanest hostel I've ever stayed in.

• 14th Sep 2014

The hostel is very nice and very clean. The room was very nice too with a very nice bathroom. I would recommend this place for any traveller.

Nothing major was wrong but I didn't get a very welcoming feeling from the lady at the receptionist. She gave me wrong info on how far the airport was (20min, instead it was 40min). The room had also a strange smell. I wouldn't have booked here if it were not the only hostel at the Kona side of the island.

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Belgium

ALOHA, sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stay here with us. Due to the room type chosen (Mixed Dorm) I cannot control the *odors* that permeate through. Although we will be looking into some room plug-ins and air fresheners to station in the Dorms. As for the un welcomed feeling, we will re-train our staff for proper meet and greet etiquette. Thank you for the review.

The staff is really nice and helpful. They booked a trip for my in minutes and also offered me a lift to get there. I was able to ask everything and got always a good answer. The hostel has a relaxing atmosphere, is very clean and has a wonderful outside sitting area with bbq and heaps of space. I really enjoyed my stay at Pineapple Park!

Aloha, thank you for the review and visit.

I only stayed for one night so maybe my impression wasn't as good. But it was a pain to get to the hostel. After I arrived I was told there is a shuttle. A little too late. Showers and all bathroom facilities are outdoor so if you don't mind that it's okay. I stayed in a mixed dorm. The rest of the people seemed nice.

Aloha, There is only one way to get here; on the only expressway available (hwy 11). I am sorry to hear that you were somehow mis-directed. Also, on the website all info is available for set up of shuttle services.Thank you for the review and visit.