Pineapple Park Kona Reviews

81-6363 Mamalahoa HWY, Kealakekua, HI 96750, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

The staff is really nice and helpful. They booked a trip for my in minutes and also offered me a lift to get there. I was able to ask everything and got always a good answer. The hostel has a relaxing atmosphere, is very clean and has a wonderful outside sitting area with bbq and heaps of space. I really enjoyed my stay at Pineapple Park!

I only stayed for one night so maybe my impression wasn't as good. But it was a pain to get to the hostel. After I arrived I was told there is a shuttle. A little too late. Showers and all bathroom facilities are outdoor so if you don't mind that it's okay. I stayed in a mixed dorm. The rest of the people seemed nice.

Horrible hostel! I recommend you not to go here! The lady on the reception is awful. The showers and kitchen close at 10pm and it is full of cockroaches.

This place is OK, not great, pretty average. Good for one day of stay. Staff is pretty bad so don't expect much on that side.

I thought it was a well run hostel that had easy rules to follow. I wasn't there during peak season but don't go there if your expecting a luxury resort. It's a hostel and it fits that description well. As for Annie I think she does a great job protecting her investment and maintains a clean atmosphere. People that say she is rude obviously have some kind of issue, a little common sense when dealing with her can make your stay more pleasant.

• 31st May 2014

A fair distance from town but a quiet location. Private room was excellent. Kitchen facility good. Abundant outdoor living spaces to choose from.

Was good, but wish I had known you can call for better prices. Good location next to snorkeling and friendly atmosphere. Plenty of common space.

• 26th May 2014

Well our room was very nice, the place is safe and the balcony has sunset views. But the owner tends to be pushy, directive and flaky. Charged me 20$ for a lost key we found the next morning and she tends to be hard to find around the place, we waited 25 minutes in the rain before checking-in because she didn't hear the bell. Also she offered to do taxi for us for a price but then left us stranded because she changed her mind. Otherwise if you don't have a car you're in the middle of nowhere.

nice hostel to stay at however if you do not have a car very difficult to get anywhere and expensive the is very bad public transport on the island and taxis are expensive cost 65 to get to the hostel from the airport. But over it was a nice place to stay people are friendly and its pretty clean with decent showers just make sure you rent a car.

• 7th May 2014

They have a bbq, which looks very nice, but we didnt get the licence to use, that was very very sad. The managerin (lady) was sometimes very rough and not that friendly then i would expect. Not so friendly... And they couldnt give some information about some trips or places to go. But all in all, it was a nice staying with a nice atmosphere!

I stayed in a private room with a bed for two, and a private bath. It was of the same quality, cleanliness and size as I would expect from a hotel room in a newer hotel. It had a nice balcony, and the staff was very pleasant. I chose it because it is located across the street from a World Class SCUBA dive shop, Espace Plongee. Pineapple Park Hostel had good kitchen facilities, an outdoor dining area, and full cable access in my private room with WIFI every where on the premises.

nice personal, very clean, but the owner is very grumpy and not really nice.

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • Switzerland

The hotel is partly open concept, which means the common rooms and washrooms are open air, which in turn means that bugs get in easily. This is unfortunately what happened to us - we saw huge cockroaches in the kitchen and in our room, and we left right away, disgusted. Also, the kitchen is closed at 10pm so you cannot get your food later than that. The rooms do not have any security lockers and the doors do not have any locks on them, either.

Annie the owner would move personal items without saying. "Quirky" personality. Felt I was being spied on! She has favourite guests. If you are not 1 of them you are ignored. Too far away from Kona Town. No buses on Sunday. Car is required to get around. Only a few other nice people there made it a good stay. I would not return. Nice lounge and TV area to relax and lots of chairs. Beach, shops are not close. No lockers for belongings. Doors left open for airing during the day. Not secure.

I missed hot showers, lockers and friendly staff.

I thought it was nice, cleen and quiet. Annie was nice the dog Lucy was a queen,left a good impression.Though try to lighten up a bit Annie, even if people are assholes they are still the ones you make a living of, if you ease up on rules, it would help give a better impression from costomers: example; when the girls came in after a delayed flight and wanted to make some food, it was about ten to 10, yes kitchen close at 10 but they where starving, bend the rules now and then,just a tip =)

Spent 6 nights here, not the best value for money. Rooms were very small, started with a twin room, but got moved to a double the next day. Quiet time is meant to be 11 - 8, but the first night, my partner was kept awake by someone chatting very loudly on the phone, right next to the room, in the early hours of the morning. In general, quiet time didn't seem to be adhered to, and the other hostel users weren't particularly friendly. Not good value for money, wouldn't book there again.

Nice hostel but the host is not very friendly. She tries to make additional money where she can, e.g. if you loose a snorkeling gear she charges you $60 for a gear that probably costs not more than $20-30.

• 2nd Mar 2014

I didn`t stay in this hostel, and I have difficult to cancel my reservation. Actually, I didn`t cancel it. I sent four emails and got only only answer, and they didn't solve my problem.

The owner was so obssessive. She wanted to add a lot of other charges on the top of the price listed on the website. So ended up she wanted me to pay $39 per day instead of $30 per day. Be careful with that woman owner, she is a shark. I did not stay, and I tried to cancel it for 3 days before the arrive date, and Hostelworld do not even let me.

• 24th Feb 2014