Pineapple Park Kona Reviews

81-6363 Mamalahoa HWY, Kealakekua, HI 96750, Hawaii's Big Island, Kailua-Kona, USA

strict policies makes the stay at this hostel less enjoyable. example: check out time by 10am, no hanging out or leaving luggage after 10am. shower lock down at 10pm. steep cleaning fee in addition to the dorm/room cost. and anything you might ask for comes at a price (like late check in). and it's far from kona.

Good facilities, but the lady in charge is incredibly rude.

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

too many additional fees. the usually friendly atmosphere of hostels around the Hawaiian islands here is diminished by the business-like administration of the hostel: strict sign-in and sign-out times (no exceptions, no hanging around after signing out), no refund policy at all, showers close down at 10pm!!!? steep extra charge for cleaning. Too many restrictions.

nice place to stay with an awesome view of the ocean!

• 19th Jun 2015

Great friendly place with relaxed staff who are always at hand and helpful. Found it really relaxed, quiet and safe. Kitchen, bathroom and social areas are all very clean and functional. Location is a little way out from Kona but there are plenty of facilities near by or across the road and you have Kealakekua Bay almost on your doorstep.

• 6th Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

Had a private room so did not use the hostel facilities. Everything was fine except the owner. She was just unfriendly.

Showers and kitchen close 10pm sharp!!! Air in the dorm is bit smelly. There is plastic under the mattress. Probably the cheapest place you can find. You need a car to get there. Lovely terrace!

Very nice staff, great hostel, you need a car to get there.

Small and quiet, nice to relax and meet new people. I prefered this one to the noisy, full party hostels in Waikiki Beach...

My mixed group of four stayed at Pineapple Park Kona for one night, and they were extremely accommodating. The staff helped us check in quickly when we were in a rush to make a dive booking, and when we returned late that night, they had moved us to a room that only holds four people, so that our arrival didn't disturb anyone else. This was perfect for our group and, I'm sure, for other patrons. If I return to Kona, I would stay here again!

• 18th Apr 2015

Cute, clean. FYI: Front desk closes at 9 pm. If you are arriving on a later flight, contact the hostel ahead of time so they can have someone let you in. They were willing to send someone over to let me in at 10 pm since I arrived at 9:00 at the airport. I would definitely stay at this place again when I return to Kona.

• 22nd Mar 2015

Nice hostel if you have a car. The hostel owner was strict but friendly and gave me good advice, like where I could swim with dolphins close to the hostel. I slept only 2 nights in March and was there only in the evenings, so I can't say anything about the atmosphere. I would stay there again.

• 17th Mar 2015
  • Switzerland

Busy place especially over Spring Break. We were upgraded to a separate room since we were a mixed group and would have been spread out over a bunch of dorm rooms. Very clean for Hawaii. Great view, nice common spaces. The front locks at 9PM so make arrangements to get the gate code or get in earlier. WiFi was good. Staff was pleasant, but rather busy. Shower area could have had a changing room. Bit of a drive from the airport. Should offer discounts for groups to compete with Air B&B.

The place is very nice and quit but very far of everything. If you don't have a car, hitch hike is the second option because the bus comes maybe every 2 hours and on sunday its completely closed. The supermarket is far as well but you can easily go by walk to capitain cook trail. Also the hostel is VERY CLEAN! No doubt the cleaners are doing a great job.

AVOID in any cost. The most HORRIBLE hostel I ever been to. 1. Location: 25min driving outside Kona. 2. I had literally to BEG the manager for 1/2 hour to be allowed to shower after a night dive, despite the fact that I was promised so during the check-in. It was 10:30pm. Instead, she tried to throw me away from the hostel!! 3. The staff is rude. 4. I booked a bed in 6 beds dorm. Instead, I was given a bed in 8-bed dorms which is also a corridor to access another room!

• 3rd Mar 2015
  • Israel

I really loved to stay in Pineapple Park Kona!!!! Staffs were really friendly and always try their best. The rooms were clean and neat. Captain cook was really close and also the supermarket was just across the street. If I have chance to go Maui again, I will be stay here again!! (even I want to visit Hilo) I want to say thank you to every staff, especially Annie. I will always remember her sincere and warm-hearted friendship. Thank you, Annie! Hope to see you soon and wish you be happy!!

• 24th Feb 2015
  • South Korea

In a pinch it was good, especially as I needed to say on the Kailua-Kona side and its waaaaaaaaay cheaper than trying to stay in Kona solo. But be warned THIS PLACE IS FAR AWAY FROM EVERYWHERE IF YOU CANT DRIVE. The atmosphere seemed nice though and some regulars there are ace (Bobo for example, is a legend). But its run pretty strict for a place thats supposed to be relaxed and you have to be quiet early on in the night because its a residential area.

• 22nd Feb 2015

Great location but stingy owner. Shared baths close at 10 pm. No breakfast which is stated as included on the website. Unfortunately, not many hostel options in the area so this owner has no motivation to impress or take care of guests. Friends were given a horrible private room by main office.

• 14th Feb 2015

friendly staff, nice overview over the sea, good deal for the price

When hostelworld gives you a price including taxes but when you arrive they charge for taxes anyway? 21,18 %. A privateroom was not worth 115 $. We chose this hostel because it seemed like a better deal than airbnb but in the end it was more expensive, really badly handled. the building was nice, fresh, you could feel they had renovated it. Location not near Kona. Didn't explore the neighborhood much so can't say what's there. Can't say I will be back.

• 30th Jan 2015