Pioneros Hostel Reviews

Los Pioneros 255, El Calafate, Argentina

Nice, big dining room! It sucked to pay for the cutlery every time!

Good service for Yuan and Juan Pablo :-) good value for money and close to city center. and all of the cleaning staff doing the hardwork keeping the kitchen and rooms tidy. Bravo! Perfecto. A million thanks. Cheers!

• 22nd Feb 2015
  • wilmarancajas4183
  • Philippines

On other day booking for 2 night, I have told a staff of Pioneros Hostel that I would not arrive on first day and unable to make a cancell by PC due to PC problem. But they cancelled and did not offer a bed for 2nd night so I spend more than 2h to find other a hotel.

bathroom and shower facilities are pretty decent and clean here but you do have to leave a deposit for cutlery. There is only wifi in the dining room (which has a cold vibe) and some of the dorms don't have power outlets. The staff can be helpful but are aloof at times.

I got the impression that the hostel wants to make money out of every occasion. for example you need to pay for towels, for breakfast, for renting the cuttlery.

The common room is à bit uncozy. The staff seems à bit bored to help sometimes. There arent enough sockets and there are none in the Dorms. Few of the women bathrooms can be locked.

I arrived late at night, they checked me in, and gave me sheets and told me to go across the street to a room. And that was it. I had to find my own bed, make my own bed with the sheets, and I wasn't sure which bed in the dorm was mine. I was trying to make my bed in the dark at 2 in the morning without waking up other people. The room was a mess. I didn't find the people helpful like they were in other hostels.

• 15th Feb 2015

I stayed here in desperation as everywhere else was booked up (I was looking a week in advance - avoid the Fiesta del Lago period if you can) and I knew it wouldn't be great, but it was worse than expected and I'm not fussy... Nice people on the desk and good wifi but otherwise didn't seem clean, horrid 4 bed dorm was more of a hut, breakfast if you wanted it seemed very over-priced.

Great staff, the alternative tour to Perito Moreno is a must! Quite big but there are large communal areas and a pretty good kitchen and bathrooms so you don't feel like you're on top of everyone. Only thing is it's a bit of a walk to the centre.

Bit annoying having to rent cutlery and the kitchen facilities could do with an upgrade. Was a bit nervous about staying here after reading the reviews but thought it was a great hostel!!

A good hostel, large but has everything you require. A little walk from town but not too bad. I wouldn't have a problem returning

Cons: No electricity sockets in the rooms; No breakfast (costs an additional 65 pesos); When the cleaning ladies clean the bathrooms they close everything (women's and men's bathrooms and showers) for a pretty long time; You need to give a deposit of 50 pesos if you want cutlery; Quite far from the city's center; No Wi-Fi in the rooms. Pros: The staff help you with everything, including organizing excursions; The kitchen is big, and also the dining area; Showers always hot; Nice place to relax.

The location is a pretty good walk from everything in Calafate. It was a hassle to have one key per room that was always at the front desk and anyone could ask for it with a multi person dorm room. Oh but every trip to the front desk was welcomed by a 3 minute monologue about how we need to go on their tour... Every single time. And you have to leave a deposit for SILVERWARE which of course you get from the front desk with a nice monologue about the Tour. Better places in Calafate for the money

Helpful and nice staff, they helped us share a taxi with other guests. The kitchen is big and clean, so it was very nice staying at this hostel for a one night stop over in El Calafate. Nice dining area as well and clean bathroom/baños

• 5th Feb 2015

Staff wasn't very welcoming or friendly, didn't have change and didn't make an effort to give you any. Didn't feel very comfortable at this hostel and wouldn't stay again.

The staff at this hostel were helpful with my onward travel planning. They helped me search for hostels and rang to find out bus times for me. The kitchen and social areas are really spacious.DDownside is there are no plug sockets for charging in the rooms.

Friendly and helpful staff, we had a great time in this hostel. Perfect facilities and the common areas :-)))

• 26th Jan 2015
  • Czech Republic

Norah rocks it, but there are communication issues that would stop me from trying to book anything (tours, bus rides) through this hostel again.

The staff was friendly at all times and willing to help. Great atmosphere. Another good point was the quality of the Internet access and Wi-Fi.

• 21st Jan 2015

One of the cheaper options in El Calafate but still offering good quality. Clean dorms, ok common spaces and an extremely crowded and undersupplied kitchen (you have to pay a deposit to get cutlery). Big plus is the inhouse travel agency where the prices are lower then elsewhere in the city and the quality of the tours good as far as I experienced. There is a hilarious lack of electricity plugs so be prepared. Good if you are going to trek but not so for hanging out longer.