Pioneros Hostel Reviews

Los Pioneros 255, El Calafate, Argentina

Norah rocks it, but there are communication issues that would stop me from trying to book anything (tours, bus rides) through this hostel again.

This hostel was over crowded and the atmosphere was poor. There are no outlets in the rooms, so every person was in the public area every night charging their phones, etc. There was no space for me one night I had to wait hours for an outlet to open up. The kitchen is way too small for the number of people there. The available pots and pans are poor, and you needed to put down a deposit to use any cutlery. The bathrooms were stalls and bad showers. The hostel was a 20 minute walk from town.

Location is a bit far from the city, about 16 minutes, wifi doesn't work in the dorma and really, we have to rent tableware... Besides the fact that there's no breakfast. Staff are nice and helpful.

Crowded place with no atmosphere, bedlinens were dirty, kitchen a total mess.

To start, let me say this is the first bad review I've ever written. The girl that checked us in was insanely rude and inconsiderate. 1. What should have been a 2 min check in took her 20 min as she Facebook chatted. 2. I asked for a towel and she forgot to charge us for it but then refused to accept credit card for such a nominal charge as a towel. It was our last day in Argentina and we had no cash so I simply didn't get a towel. Absolutely horrible service by this girl.

• 12th Jan 2015

Good hostel, but you need to rent fork, knife and spoon to cook. Dorm is ok and bathroom is big/clean. If i need in the future, i will stay there again.

The Staff is doing a great job and they're helpful with everything! We really enjoyed our stay!

• 8th Jan 2015

This hostel is more like a hotel (maid service, about 150 guests I believe). It was definitely more customer-based and less personal given the size. The staff was very friendly, but always very busy. Great kitchen and dining/lounge area. No food allowed in rooms and a 50 peso deposit for silverware. Breakfast additional and no wifi in rooms (only common areas). It's about a 20 minute walk from downtown. We enjoyed our stay though and would definitely recommend it.

A nice hostel, a bit far from the center compared to others but stil ok. It was a really nice "hostel feeling" to it. Recommended.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, but the room was dirty and there were dead bugs on the floor. Plus, our bedroom door didn't close all the way. Not the best place, but it will do if you can't find anything else.

• 29th Dec 2014

The fact that you have to give a deposit in order to be able to get cutlery actually has an opposite effect. I left the "rented" cutlery for a second in the kitchen and it got stolen. Moreover, my plastic travel spoon/forks got stolen. I don't understand why the hostel is creating this atmosphere since the atmosphere is the effect of the measures taken by the hostel manager. Else, the place is clean, big and not expensive. The staff is excellent, very polite and helpful.

I very much enjoyed my stay at this hostel. I had not done much advance planning before I arrived, and the staff went above and beyond to help me plan excursions/book tours.

Just don't stay here. They have no power sockets in the dorms, you have to pay to rent utensils, people stole my food from fridge, no breakfast included, no nice atmosphere or living area, you have to put on sheets and take off sheets yourself, blankets are sad condition (gave me a full body rash), located outside center, weak wifi and not in rooms, wouldn't book Big Iace tour or bus ticket for me, close entire bathroom at noon, loud groups (too many ppl), dark freezing dorms. Go anywhere else!

Patricio is the best! So friendly --and always cheery. Such a wonderful, helpful demeanor. The hostel is great--high priority on cleanliness. Great, big community space and kitchen. And I loved that the bunk beds included curtains, so you could sleep even if the light was on. Thanks for everything, Patricio!

1) Super dirty Kitchen. Disgusting. You even need to pay deposit to borrow the cutlery. 2) There is no electronic plug in the room. And there were very few plugs in the common area, so very difficult to charge ur stuff. 3) Wifi is terrible. Not working in the room. And even in the common area, very weak signal. 4) We booked bus tickets to Puerto Natales through this hostel, they screwed it. When we got to the bus station, our reservation hasn't been made. And we blew up our day like this.

A very big hostel with always loud music and therefore very noisy. We have had a 4 bed dorm which was okay. But we missed the posibility to charge tablet or mobile there. These posibilities had been rare in the whole hostal. There had been enough toilets and real hot showers. Everything very clean. In cleanliness and security very okay for us, but the loudness and the restlessness did disturb us a lot.

A little far from the city centre and no powerpoints in the dorms, but definitely decent value for money, with a mega helpful receptionist to tell us what the dealio is

Located outside of town center but not a bad walk. Staff was very helpful in assisting wth travel plans (ice trekking, great food) to maximize short time in Calafate. Great area for eating / drinking / hanging out at night that was separate from rooms so as not to keep people awake.

Nicholas and his aunt were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was typical pastries and the coffee was excellent.

• 11th Dec 2014
  • All Male Group, 41+

This hostel was clean and offered a good breakfast. The location was a little way out of town but only a 15 minute walk to the main street, which housed many restaurants and shops etc It was about a 20 minute walk from the bus station.