Point Break Backpackers Reviews

6 Union Street, New Brighton, Christchurch, New Zealand

Nice hostel, big rooms, nice location by the beach, but a bit far from town.

Awesome hostel, great crew, perfect location and the coolest nightmanager!!

Friendly helpful staff made my stay a delight.

• 31st Dec 2015
  • New Zealand

Perhaps I should have researched it better but it is definitley more suited to the young cash strapped back packer who just needs a place to crash than a couple looking for a decent place to stay a night

• 26th Dec 2015

Nice little hostel, a way from the city though but near to the bus stop. Right next to the beach which was beautiful. Comfy bed and clean rooms.

I worked for this hostel for 3 weeks and I can confidentially say that staying at this pathetic excuse for a hostel is a waste of time and money. The hostel manager (Sue) constantly ignores the problems of the hostel. Broken beds, mattresses, poor kitchen equipment for example. Instead her and another receptionist (Pip) seem to only be interested in fining people and squeezing every last cent out of you. See trip advisor for a more detailed explanation.

One very helpful member of staff but the younger members came across unhelpful and rude. Poor location but is on a bus route. Uncomfortable, noisy beds. No curtain in room. No free breakfast on weekend, ridiculous. No designated social area (for drinking and loud socialising)

On check in all seemed ok but when walking to my dorm (4 bed mixed) it smelt like something had died in a corner this was persistent in the entire building my dorm stank of mould and body odour , the kitchen was large but dirty and the same smell yet again, I spent one night there ( booked for three) couldn't shower as closed for cleaning 09:35 / kitchen closed also 09:40 for cleaning, staff very unhelpful and rude when spoken to.

Thank you for your comments, were sorry about the smell we had all the carpets cleaned and sometimes it does tend to smell this leaves within a day or so, were sorry you experienced this, we do have to start cleaning ASAP as we have 70 beds to clean and cater for allowing guest to check into rooms as check out is 10am starting at 930 is not unreasonable, I my staff were rude or unhelpful I will check into this comments to make it sure this is not happening. Hope you enjoy your adventure in NZ

Fantastic place to stay, really well placed on the beach. Really friendly team, would reccomend this place.

Very good atmosphere, clean, quiet at night, really enjoyed.

Great if you are planning to explore New Brighton and Sumner areas or go surfing etc. Really spacious kitchen and even a pool table and TV room. We were in room 4 (private twin room) and one of the beds was entirely broken (the single bed). It was so bad that it was better to sleep on the floor!! I'm sure this will get fixed soon, though.

Thank you for your comments on your stay with us at the Beach, we are sorry about the bed we were unaware of the problem and have since changed the bed, had you told us during your stay we would have fixed it for you, but thank you anyway for making us aware and we hope your travels go well and you have more great adventures. Thanks again for staying with us we hope to see you again. Best wishes Team Point Break

View all Christchurch Hostels