Point Break Backpackers Reviews

6 Union Street, New Brighton, Christchurch, New Zealand

Staff were very friendly and very helpful when I had a few problems with my car. Thanks pip

• 31st Jul 2015

Friendly staff free tea and coffee and breakfast each morning. Hostel is clean only bad thing about it is it's far from the city which is about a 45min bus journey away.

• 11th Jul 2015

Almost every facility requires extra payment. It is ridiculous that they do not give breakfast on weekends.

kitchen was messy,dirty and sticky, a lot of furniture was broken no backs to lean on

We only spent one night at Point Break Backpacker and I am glad we didn't stay longer... The kitchen and the bathrooms were dirty. As for the room, it has no atmosphere at all and the walls are so thin, it's like you sleep with you neighbours. I would suggest to avoid this place.

• 18th Apr 2015

I did get my money,s worth. I got total privacy 3 out of 9 nights that I stayed there and that was a blessing.The bus service was only half a block away and it was only a 3 block walk to the ocean and pier, with a major store only less than 3 blocks away. When I get a job and save up for a least 3 years, then one day I may revisit New Zealand. I enjoyed my stay there.

• 15th Apr 2015

I really liked this hostel! The staff were really friendly and helpful. It was quiet and security was good. The location at this time of year would not be suited for a long stay, but in summer I'm sure the place is buzzing with beach goers! Great cafe downstairs serving lovely coffee and muffins ;)

Stayed for two nights. The stay was OK. The location is pretty rubbish although there was a bus stop just outside.

• 10th Apr 2015

A nice hostel in a great location (just a few minutes walk from the beach). The staff are lovely and there is a cute café downstairs. The only real criticism I have is that the facilities could have been cleaner, but even then they were better than those at some hostels.

Thank goodness the door to the bedrooms was fixed. The deaf rugby team didnt seem to realise it squeaked therefore proceeded to open it all evening. Otherwise a good stay

Expected much worse. We stayed at 8-bed dorm, big room with lockers. Bathroom was clean and ok, kitchen not so much. 100 mb free wifi for 1 night stay. We arrived late and stayed only for a night nut seemed good enough place.

They close the Kitchen at 10 am for cleaning. How stupid Is that? People are Having breakfast at 10am!

Thank you for your comments we are always trying to improve, if you could suggest another time that is efficient to clean the kitchen as we only have a 3 hour window of opportunity to clean and must have beds ready to go all 70 plus bathrooms, kitchen,rubbish removed, rooms cleaned , sheets,duvets pillows all laundered in 3 hours or less any suggestions let us know. We hope you enjoy the rest of your trip in New Zealand. Cheers Crew Point Break

The kiwi staff there are really helpful.The skinny irish cleaner was very annoying, cleaning the room at 10:30am, talking to his mate on the phone at the top of his voice, not one care given. Bit out of town though. Be careful the French bloke on nights short changed me $10 too.

No ambiance, it doesnt seem like a hostel. Dirty rooms and dirty toilets with old rayzors and shampoos left in the showers. Dont forget your ear plugs because this hostel is extremely noisy. Its really out of town which i normally dont mind. Until i found out there were no bus to bring me to my intercity bus. Ive been told to take a taxi (which is way too expensive when you're a backpacker)No drop off offered. Only good thingd were the staff and the cafe downstairs. But just avoid staying there.

Thank you for your comments, were sorry you did'nt enjoy your stay with us, we can't always know what guests will be like to stay in our hostel and unfortunately we had a very disrespectful group during that time. We clean twice a day in our hostel and guest are to clean up after themselves but of course this does'nt always happen. Its incorrect that there are only taxi, there are also shuttles and buses run until 12midnight. Other guests have enjoyed the experience here its the beach. Cheers

View all Christchurch Hostels