Portal del Sur Reviews

Hipolito Yrigoyen 855, Buenos Aires, Argentina

This was a fine place to stay but not the best of the best. The staff were helpful and the facilities were good, although the place is kind of dark. Would recommend but not sure how it got LP's 'Top Choice'.

The beds weren't that great and very uncomfortable. It was also very noisy at times. The rooftop bar and breakfast were good. The staff could have been more welcoming. They did not help much when you needed some travel advice.

Very noisy hostel, staff did not maintain rules of no noise in the lounge area after 10pm and our family were often still awake at 2 am, very inconsiderate. On the other hand we were told that breakfast began at 7.30 when we checked in, but when we tried to have a 7.30 breakfast on the day we were due to fly out and had to leave at 8am, the staff kicked us out of the breakfast area and refused to let us have breakfast at all. This hostel needs to get its priorities right! I do not recommend.

The whole process of booking, checking in and checking out was VERY efficient. Past mid-night, I was received, aided, and guided by Ignacio at the reception. He helped carrying my luggage to the third floor, he called a taxi to pick me up the next day, and gave me the receipt. Joaquin was working at the desk when I checked out. He was also very helpful. Thank you all: I'll be back!

• 17th Jul 2014
  • Mexico

Staff never went out of their way to assist us when we asked for help. Otherwise good location, breakfeast was basic.

Great hostel! clean, great location, homely feel and easy to meet other travelers. I will be staying here again!

• 27th Jun 2014

I was taken ill during my stay in Argentina. I am very grateful for the help the hostel staff provided. Lovely people.

• 21st Jun 2014

Travelled as couple. Great location and helpful staff. Diego and Gabriel were awesome. Common area nice and had chilled atmosphere, kitchen fully equipped. Private double, spacious with great little ensuite made up everyday. Hostel ran spanish classes and other activities during the week and staff were able to book other tours for us no worries. Not a party hostel at all but the rooftop bar is open til late if you don't want to go out and experience BA's amazing nightlife. Negatives....???

Really nice hostel in very good location with good value for money. Nice, helpful people at the reception and nice relaxed atmosphere on the roof top terrace with bar. However I would have appreciated if there had been more electric plugs and if the kitchen had been a bit better equipped (plates, cutlery etc. was often missing).

We particularly enjoyed all members of the staff with whom we dealt. All of them were very courteous and helpful.

• 23rd Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Very neat hostel with everything you look for--great location, great price, good, bright common areas, etc. The building is beautiful and right in the middle of everything in Buenos Aires; I'm definitely glad I chose it for our stay.

• 23rd Apr 2014

Great location, close to puerto madero, still not too loud (compared to other hostels in Bs As)

The atmosphere depends extremely. The staff was always great and very helpful. It's located very near Avenida de Mayo and is close to the subway system. I would recommend.

The hostel was great and good value for money. We particularly liked how the lounge area was closed at night to help keep noise down. The location is fantastic, as it is near main transportation stops, and it is within close walking distance of major BA landmarks. Being next to a night club did make for poor night's sleep for the light sleepers, though. The staff were friendly and happy to answer our many questions! They were also quick to solve any problems that arose with a helpful attitude.

• 12th Apr 2014

I really enjoyed my time spent in Portal del Sur. The staff is very friendly and they always helped me when i had questions. The hostel itself is incredible thanks to its rooftop, perfect to have a drink and see sunset. But what i enjoyed the most there was the people: a good mix between backpackers traveling by themselves, couples of all ages, group of friends, and even some families. I stayed in another hostel in Buenos Aires before and would absolutly recommend Portal del Sur to any person!

• 11th Apr 2014

Really good and nice staff and the hostel was really good and had a really nice roof terrace bar. If you have light sleep you shouldn't take a room with a window since there is a club which opens everyday and you can hear everything. Also the bunk beds are made of metal and when you move the whole bed moves which can make it a little tough to sleep. Other than that it's a really good hostel, I enjoyed staying there.

Hi Sandra, thank you for your review. We try to minimize the noise as much as possible to provide our guests with a good night’s sleep. We also fix and improve the furnitures on a regular basis because we know that the beds are damaged due to their daily use. We are currently working on the bunk beds to extend their stability. We took note of your comment and we thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve our service at the hostel. Regards

Not the best hostel. The common rooms were quiet noisy, not so fine to hang around. Breakfast was poor. Rooms were small, bath room cheap. Common bath room and toilets not so clean. The building is nice but all the floors and the organization of the common rooms made it not such a hostel where you can easily meet people and hang around with them. Reception down floor, bar at the room top en the common rooms in between. Why not all together so you easily find the place to hand around.

Hi Jaymi, we are sorry to hear about your bad experience at Portal del Sur. We try to minimize any noise our guests might experience in our rooms in order to provide a good night’s sleep. Also we do expect our rooms and bathrooms to be cleaned to a high standard and to be set up correctly. Our guests usually like to relax and entertain on the rooftop or in the common room located centrally on the 2nd floor, strategically located close to all the facilities. Regards

View all Buenos Aires Hostels