Portal del Sur Reviews

Hipolito Yrigoyen 855, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Sweeet hostel! Had an amazing time, created a family like atmosphere with the the other people staying at the hostel. The roof top bar was very cool and the staff was amazing especially Manuel the italian man was very helpful and professional.

• 22nd Jan 2015

It's an okay hostal. Not a good crowd of people . And although it's central I don't recommend this location in buenos aires

Very friendly staff and a nice atmosphere!

• 4th Jan 2015

I had the greatest time in Buenos Aires and at Portal del Sur Hostel, the staff was very helpful and always keen to answer any inquire in the nicest way. It feels, not only safe, but also, cozy and fun inside. The location is very in the middle of every good thing there is to see and visit in Buenos Aires. The roof top bar gives you the perfect opportunity to meet and have a drink with people from every part of the world. My mum and I had the best time at Portal del Sur !.

• 2nd Jan 2015
  • Colombia

It´s been a very pleasant time with employees in Portal del Sur. Very eficient and extremely friendly! La pasé Bomba con el grupo de gente que trabaja en Portal del Sur! Muy efectivos extremadamente acogedores!

• 1st Jan 2015

Granted I haven't spent a lot of time in South American hostels, but I was very impressed with this hostel. The maids do a thou rough cleaning job every day, the layout is very conducive to socializing. It's got a awesome roof top bar with reasonably priced drinks, it is centrally located in the heart of the city, and the staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. I would definitely recommend this hostel to any friends heading to Buenos Aires.

My flight got into BA late, and staying here was a last minute resort. I immediately checked out the next day. The cleanliness of this hostel was no bueno. I was give sheets with what looked like an old blood stain and immediately showed the staff and prior to doing so was witness to a couple cock roaches. I arrived hungry, But immediately lost my appetite after 10 min of being here. If it wasn't so late I would have checked out. I had to keep telling my mind it was just like camping.

• 27th Dec 2014

I can't recommend this place enough. We were supposed to stay 3 nights only but ended up extending our stay for two weeks. This place has a decent, chilled out vibe during the day and at night there is a brilliant rooftop bar. The staff were excellent - extremely friendly and always helpful.

Great friendly staff with a relaxed attitude and everyone is willing to help you find your way. A+ team

Employees were very nice and helpful, their valiant efforts to use English with me was greatly appreciated. Breakfast was very light and in limited supply. The bunk beds were terribly insecure. Showers and bathrooms were fine. Kitchen was fine. Public area and bar were fine. Strong room to store your belongins and lockers for your bags

• 5th Dec 2014

Very nice place!!!:)

Staff was perfect. The hostel has really atmosphere. But there were bedbugs in a couple of rooms. But they did everything to get rid of them. The hostel gave the money back to the travelers in those rooms and gave them a room without bedbugs ;-)

# 1 i had to pay the price for 2 (two) people in a tiny private room with soiled bedsheets, yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!! blood stains etc. on it. can you believe that. 40 dollars for soiled linens. i wish i had a chance to get my money back. # 2 a late check out was impossible due to the inflexibility of the cleaning staff # 3 the breakfast was sub-standard. a.) they started clearing the tables as well as the buffet prior to the time of 11 am, in order to leave exactly at 11 am. thats just not

• 29th Nov 2014

I didn't feel that some of the staff were as knowledgeably to the area. E.g. I was seriously warned about La Bocca security etc so was really worried about going, it was nowhere near that bad - I didn't feel unsafe at all in the day time.

• 28th Nov 2014

We had a really good time in Portal del Sur. We had a room on the backside of the building. The room was good value for the money. We didn't had any trouble with noise. On Friday the have a party on the roof top terras, but we didn't hear anything of it. This place is organizing lots of things to do. The staff is friendly and Gabriel is the best! He is very helpfull and knows a lot of the city. (Where can you buy the best empanada's? Where can you buy a nice leather bag? Gabriel knows!!)

I really liked my stay. The staff was good. But the air conditioning made a lot of noise. The shower didn't had a door. Just a curtain. The bunk beds weren't stable. So it wasn't easy to go in bed when you sleep at the top. But I will come back!

Portal del Sur is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. Perfect location, a spacious twin room, a great rooftop bar and an amazing staff. Highly recommended.

There was not hot water in my room.

• 17th Oct 2014
  • Spain

Firstly, the staffs messed up my booking even after several reminders. The hostel is heavily infested by bed bugs, I understand their reason but the attitudes towards the incident was terrible. The hostel manager almost refused to pay for my medical fees and refused to clean my clothes after what happened. Lastly, a guy came into our room (it was a female dorm) at 5am on the last night of my stay as the staff made a mistake, again! AVOID THIS HOSTEL!

Amazing breakfast and terrace