Portal del Sur Reviews

Hipolito Yrigoyen 855, Buenos Aires, Argentina

My main complain around this hostel was the fact that I asked the receptionist for a locker in the private room because I did have my laptop and ipad with me and didnt want to leave it there when I was going to be out (the staff requires you to leave your room key in the front desk, you cannot take the key with you), and she said that I was accusing the staff of trying to steal my stuff, when my only point was that everyone on the staff had access to my room and I just wanted to secure it

I totally loved the hostel, very clean, right in the city center, good breakfast, and a night of good music in the bar. I totally recommend it!

Awesome hostel with great staff. Breakfast is worth your money and the facilities are kept clean. The building is beautiful and the terrace is definitely a plus. Great atmosphere!

Great location, I had a single room for my privacy which turned out to be great value for money.

Staff were really helpful particularly when our bad Spanish let us down trying to book future travels. The place was on a busy road so it is noisy all night. The location is good.

Internet connection doesn't work inside the room. The shower inside the private room has leaks, so the bathroom turns into a mess.

• 14th Jul 2015

hostel stuff was friendly and very helpfull. directly at metro station piedras, it got no big sign with the name on it, but if u walk the street u will see it. walking distance for sightseeing. roof top bar was cheap, but when they are open u can't bring your own stuff, but the price of the alc is mostly the same as u pay in the market

The staff were fantastic, very friendly and helpful. Facilities were great, in particular I loved the roof terrace!

• 30th Jun 2015

The location and facilities were great, as well as the activities and staff. One staff member gave us a great pizzeria recommendation (the best in the city!) and even drew us a map so we knew how to walk there. That was so helpful! The breakfast was great, the wifi was pretty stable, and I really loved the atmosphere of the common areas. The only negative was that the shower in our private double room was not clean. But the common area showers were so I used that instead.

• 29th Jun 2015

Great location, cool roof bar, staff can help with everything and is great!!! Two minutes walk to Plaza Mayo. Good to meet people at the roof bar and as well to have your privacy. All in all, the best hostel during my travel in Brasil and Argentina and I were in two other Hotels in Buenos Aires before :)

A felt at home.

The lock on our room didn't work so make sure you use the lockers provided. The roof top bar was good, creating a good social atmosphere. The baggage storage can be a bit of a mission with having to climb over bags to get at yours.

We ended up staying four nights at this hostel. It was good value for money and was probably the cleanest hostel we have stayed at so far in South America. The staff and in particular Joao from Portugal were great. Pretty chilled out hostel with a laid back vibe.

Great location, awesome friendly staff and the roof top bar creates a great atmosphere to meet people.

The service from the staff was the best I experienced in South america

Good breakfast, but so much noise outside hostel. impossible to sleep for 2 nights.

All the staff were amazing, helpful and very caring with one's safety especially as a solo female traveler. Always provided tips without even asking. ,

• 16th Apr 2015

Nice place, the roof terrace is a great place to hang out in the evenings or to have breakfast, and there's also a cosy common area inside. Helpful staff, snd hostel events such as maté tasting and roof bbq make it easy to meet people. The area is good for many of the tourist sites but doesn't feel especially safe to wander round alone at night. It is also very noisy outside at the weekends (or was when I was there anyway), so might not be the best place for getting a good night's sleep!

My stay at this hostel was very positive! Great location, close to Obelisco. The staff was a little under par however, there wasn’t much communication between them, some were new and had no idea what was going on, or some were downright rude. However, the hostel offers some great activities like tango and Spanish lessons as well as mate and asado. The room was nice and clean, plenty of storage in lockers. Not many outlets though. Breakfast was very good! Great place for meeting other travelers!

Great location close to the Subt and clubs. Would be a good place to stay in the week so you can travel around BA using public transport.

View all Buenos Aires Hostels