Portal del Sur Reviews

Hipolito Yrigoyen 855, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Good hostel if you wan to be near the plaza del mayo. The staff was really helpful. Showers were good. The only bad point is that there was a lot of noise from the street (our room was facing the street) even with the window completly close.

Staff friendly & very helpful. Good bookings & info for local activities. Great BBQ night. Central location, many activities within short walk distance. Public transport within short walk distance. Good basic hostel style budget breakfast..... enough to get you ready for a walk down to any local cafe for a coffee & treat. Mike & Leila.

• 4th Feb 2016

A great hostel! Cleaned every day, fresh sheets every day, great roof top bar where breakfast is also served (typical South American breakfast), activities every night, friendly staff, consistent wifi (streaming was difficult at times) and in a great location near to Avenida De Mayo. Would definitely recommend!

• 29th Jan 2016

Really good place to meet new people in BA! Only thing that our aircon didn't work properly in our room so it was about 35 degrees without cooling down at night. But otherwise I would definitely recommend !

Had an okay stay here. The staff were quite unhelpful and rude at times. The kitchen is okay but pretty small and not very well-equipped... Eg there were about 4 forks for the whole hostel. Rooms were nice with big lockers but our air con didn't work properly and was super loud.

Great vibe. They've got live music at the rooftop terrace/bar on Friday night, with a mix of travelers and locals. Not a party hostel, it more relaxed, and you can meet people easily. I had great air conditioning in my room.

Great atmosphere with the rooftop bar, and most of the staff are awesome, with the odd exception. Our room was very very hot though

• 17th Jan 2016

Very good, the walking tours were excellent with a really experienced and interesting guide.

Overall, it´s a great place and I would highly recommend it. Very central location with easy access to public transit. Cozy floor layout with a rooftop bar that overlooks many buildings! Very friendly and laid-back, yet informative, staff. Most importantly, it has a very relaxed atmosphere (not party oriented, so shinanigans are kept to a minimum) which is nice for travellers who are looking for that kind of stay.

• 16th Jan 2016

Stayed here for 6 nights. Location is amazing & very safe. Although there were cleaners working really hard the bathrooms were full of guests clothes and toiletries and never felt clean. The air con in my room seemed to be broken but I think this was just my room. Kitchen was small but clean and had everything I needed.

Front desk/operations is a bit disorganized. I had booked a 4 bed female room, but when I showed up, I was told that it was no longer available and instead could choose between 4 bed mixed room or 6 bed female room. I chose the 6 bed female room and expected the same price or less. When I checked out the next day, they told me it was going to be more expensive because the 6 bed female room had a private bathroom. Had to push back and ended up paying the same price as 4 bed female room. Be aware.

• 13th Jan 2016

This hostel was in a great location and I stayed in both a private room and a dorm room. Although it was more expensive than others, it was worth it because of the rooftop terrace and bar. The staff was very helpful and they cleaned all the rooms every day.

Overall a very pleasant stay!

Great staff, great roof top bar. Hostel organised lots of activities, most are free. Really sociable. Would definitely recommend.

My stay in the hostel was amazing! The atmosphere is great, the rooms are clean and tidy (I took a bed in a 6 bed female ensuite and loved it) and the facilities made my stay in Bs As easier. The breakfast is nice, the kitchen has suitable equipment, there is filtered water for free, computers to use and you can chill out and meet people at the lovely living room or in the bar on the roof. The location is convenient (if you enjoy staying in downtown), really easy to take the subway and buses.

It's in the centre so easy to reach everywhere however the actual street it's on isn't nice. San Telmo would have been nicer to stay. From the outside looks nothing, the gem is inside. Good kitchen and lounge area. Roof terrace is a nice touch, it's small but so great to have somewhere to have some beers with new friends. There's building works next door on the left, so if you sleep or need to work in room be aware. Lady on reception in morning is wonderfully helpful. Everyone super friendly.

Everyone was very friendly at this hostel (both staff and travelers). The biggest perks for me were the hot showers, great roof top terrace and filtered water jug that you could use as much as you wanted to refill your water bottle! Definitely recommend if you are traveling with others or alone!

• 6th Jan 2016

Fantastic atmosphere --the roof terrace, living room, and free daily activities organized by the hostel (walking tours, spanish classes) are a great place to meet fellow travellers. The rooms and bathrooms are clean for hostel standards, showers are hot and have strong water pressure. Very central location.

Portal del sur is a really friendly hostel with activities planned for each day such as free walking tours and tango lessons. It's also not too loud at night and pretty clean. I would stay there again.

I only stayed here one night on my way though. Clean, helpful staff and good location. I didn't go to the bar at night but others said it was good.

« first « Prev 1 2 3