Portal del Sur Reviews

Hipolito Yrigoyen 855, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Firstly, the staffs messed up my booking even after several reminders. The hostel is heavily infested by bed bugs, I understand their reason but the attitudes towards the incident was terrible. The hostel manager almost refused to pay for my medical fees and refused to clean my clothes after what happened. Lastly, a guy came into our room (it was a female dorm) at 5am on the last night of my stay as the staff made a mistake, again! AVOID THIS HOSTEL!

Amazing breakfast and terrace

• 24th Sep 2014

The private rooms are very good. The location is fantastic and it has an interesting colonial feel. In my opinion the Plasa de Mayo is the best street in town - this hostel is on he same block around the corner. Its great to be able to walk out of the door into all the major history of the capital.

It's a very good option in Buenos Aires. The hostel has many activities, such as tango and spanish classes and city cultural tour. The staff is very helpful and the infrastructure's good, including clean bathrooms and bedrooms all the time.

• 21st Sep 2014

This was a fine place to stay but not the best of the best. The staff were helpful and the facilities were good, although the place is kind of dark. Would recommend but not sure how it got LP's 'Top Choice'.

The beds weren't that great and very uncomfortable. It was also very noisy at times. The rooftop bar and breakfast were good. The staff could have been more welcoming. They did not help much when you needed some travel advice.

Very noisy hostel, staff did not maintain rules of no noise in the lounge area after 10pm and our family were often still awake at 2 am, very inconsiderate. On the other hand we were told that breakfast began at 7.30 when we checked in, but when we tried to have a 7.30 breakfast on the day we were due to fly out and had to leave at 8am, the staff kicked us out of the breakfast area and refused to let us have breakfast at all. This hostel needs to get its priorities right! I do not recommend.

The whole process of booking, checking in and checking out was VERY efficient. Past mid-night, I was received, aided, and guided by Ignacio at the reception. He helped carrying my luggage to the third floor, he called a taxi to pick me up the next day, and gave me the receipt. Joaquin was working at the desk when I checked out. He was also very helpful. Thank you all: I'll be back!

• 17th Jul 2014
  • Mexico

Staff never went out of their way to assist us when we asked for help. Otherwise good location, breakfeast was basic.

Great hostel! clean, great location, homely feel and easy to meet other travelers. I will be staying here again!

• 27th Jun 2014

I was taken ill during my stay in Argentina. I am very grateful for the help the hostel staff provided. Lovely people.

• 21st Jun 2014

Travelled as couple. Great location and helpful staff. Diego and Gabriel were awesome. Common area nice and had chilled atmosphere, kitchen fully equipped. Private double, spacious with great little ensuite made up everyday. Hostel ran spanish classes and other activities during the week and staff were able to book other tours for us no worries. Not a party hostel at all but the rooftop bar is open til late if you don't want to go out and experience BA's amazing nightlife. Negatives....???

Really nice hostel in very good location with good value for money. Nice, helpful people at the reception and nice relaxed atmosphere on the roof top terrace with bar. However I would have appreciated if there had been more electric plugs and if the kitchen had been a bit better equipped (plates, cutlery etc. was often missing).

We particularly enjoyed all members of the staff with whom we dealt. All of them were very courteous and helpful.

• 23rd Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Very neat hostel with everything you look for--great location, great price, good, bright common areas, etc. The building is beautiful and right in the middle of everything in Buenos Aires; I'm definitely glad I chose it for our stay.

• 23rd Apr 2014