Portal del Sur Reviews

Hipolito Yrigoyen 855, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Really good and nice staff and the hostel was really good and had a really nice roof terrace bar. If you have light sleep you shouldn't take a room with a window since there is a club which opens everyday and you can hear everything. Also the bunk beds are made of metal and when you move the whole bed moves which can make it a little tough to sleep. Other than that it's a really good hostel, I enjoyed staying there.

Nice, friendly hostel with excellent central location and welcoming atmosphere. Breakfast were standard basic Argentinian fare but hostel offers respite from the hurricane which is Mill House

The building is nice, roof top is ok but more geared as a bar than a daily chill out area. One common room so very easy to meet people, quiet enough but social. Sadly there is an infestation of bed bugs. Had to move twice, never got bitten but people on the bottom bunks did. Showers are bad, and a lot of the lockers are broken. Could do with some investment. Maids come and clean the kitchen/make your bed, so other than bed bugs it is clean. Two croissants and bread for brecky.

Hi, we are sorry to hear about your bad experience in Portal del Sur. Our hostel is very concerned about the bed bug issue. We run operations of disinfection on a regular basis and we have bought specific equipments, hired the most qualified specialists and attended trainings. We have worked seriously on this issue and we deeply hope that we won’t suffer from this problem anymore. Following your comment, we also fixed the showers and lockers. Thank you very much for your review

The front desk staff was excellent! Very helpful and friendly. The roof top was a nice place to sit. The location was close to the main drag. The building was beautifully restored. The bunk beds were very shaky.

I cancelled a twin room 5 days before date of arrival and took a 4 bed mixed dorm in its place. I emailed hostel world on 2 occasions re refund on the twin bed room. Never received a response from hostel world. Portal del Sur said it was out of their hands. Would have expected a response one way or the other from hostel world.

Very nice hostel! Cool roof terasse, friendly and helpful staff - definitely a good place to stay in BA. Not very much bars and places to go out in the night within the direct neighbourhood - but not difficult to get there by bus or taxi within a short time...

• 24th Feb 2014

10 out of 10! staff were great, very helpful and friendly.. free spanish lessons in the morning which was very helpful roof bar with lively atmosphere with other guests always up for a chat and a few drinks internet was in and out, other guests mention bed bugs but i didnt see any or get any bites my whole stay

It's a big hostel. I was supposed to stay 2 nights but after one night I left. They where writting that they have aircon in the room. I got a dorm w 4 people no aircon or fan and it was around 35 degrees! It's easy to meet other people there.

This hostel is great, the location is perfect, close to the center but on a quiet street. The commune room and the roof bar facilitate meeting with other travelers and the atmosphere is great. The staff is really friendly and welcoming. The only thing is that some room have air conditionning and some don't, so when it's really warm make sure to check if your room has it or not. It can also be a little noisy at night because the commune room is close to the rooms, so ear plugs are a good idea!

Nice hostel with a rooftop bar. I was lucky to get in a room with a hot Dutch girl who was nice to look at while she was sleeping. Would recommend.

Really enjoyed my stay in Buenos Aires, not only because of the city itself but also because of the atmosphere in the hostel. It's really social and easy to get in touch with other guests. Of course there is room for improvement in some areas, but for the price i don't have any complaints. The location is awesome, you can get everywhere fast and easy and also at night I didn't feel unsafe.

It was terrible! My girlfriend and I arrived at the hostel by 3am. We had to wait more than one hour in the street because there was nobody at the reception! By 4am the guy came very upset asking us "what was the problem". He was just taking a shower. After that, when we finally could come in, he told us that our room had a problem and we could not stay, then we had to go somewhere else at 4am! I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOSTEL AT ALL. The guy was not polite and they did not care about us.

• 27th Dec 2013

This is the second time that I stayed at Portal del Sur, sadly, I got surprise that the atmosphere was really bad, this hostel was so fun... It is not so clean anymore, the kitchen is a huge garbage, the staff was not so friendly, I miss my days at Portal del Sur when Rocio and Steban was the staff, now... it is completely different. :(

It was an excellent place to spend a few days. The breakfast was nice, and then hangout areas were good. The staff was also very friendly - especially Diego (he's very cute!)

This place is amazing. Awesome views, great atmosphere and really cool people. The staff was freaking awesome and very helpful. This is the place to stay at in Floripa!

An orientation when arriving would have been much easier.

Stayed here for two nights. Although the location and the building itself are pretty great (as is the bar upstairs), I thought the breakfast, cleanliness and security leave a lot of room for improvement. Also, the staff was not really helpful, WiFi did not work and facilities they claimed to have (internet and traveling agency) were not there...

I stayed at this place 5 years ago and on my return I was very disappointed. The bathrooms were very dirty and all 3 showers were broken or in poor condition. There was also a drain for all 3 showers which clogged up so whilst in the shower one had to stand in the dirty water of other people. The sheets were also vey old and some were even ripped.

• 29th Nov 2013

We had a great stay here, we arrived in BA to an absolute dive of a hostel and so booked in here straight away, second we walked through the door we felt right at home! Friendly helpful staff, good clean rooms, activities everyday from matte tasting to tours, standard breakfast, lovely rooftop bar providing great atmosphere at night, awesome place! BA is just fantastic too!

Nice hostel but not very clean.

View all Buenos Aires Hostels