Portal del Sur Reviews

Hipolito Yrigoyen 855, Buenos Aires, Argentina

The whole process of booking, checking in and checking out was VERY efficient. Past mid-night, I was received, aided, and guided by Ignacio at the reception. He helped carrying my luggage to the third floor, he called a taxi to pick me up the next day, and gave me the receipt. Joaquin was working at the desk when I checked out. He was also very helpful. Thank you all: I'll be back!

• 17th Jul 2014
  • Mexico

Staff never went out of their way to assist us when we asked for help. Otherwise good location, breakfeast was basic.

Great hostel! clean, great location, homely feel and easy to meet other travelers. I will be staying here again!

• 27th Jun 2014

Really nice hostel in very good location with good value for money. Nice, helpful people at the reception and nice relaxed atmosphere on the roof top terrace with bar. However I would have appreciated if there had been more electric plugs and if the kitchen had been a bit better equipped (plates, cutlery etc. was often missing).

We particularly enjoyed all members of the staff with whom we dealt. All of them were very courteous and helpful.

• 23rd Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Very neat hostel with everything you look for--great location, great price, good, bright common areas, etc. The building is beautiful and right in the middle of everything in Buenos Aires; I'm definitely glad I chose it for our stay.

• 23rd Apr 2014

Great location, close to puerto madero, still not too loud (compared to other hostels in Bs As)

The atmosphere depends extremely. The staff was always great and very helpful. It's located very near Avenida de Mayo and is close to the subway system. I would recommend.

The hostel was great and good value for money. We particularly liked how the lounge area was closed at night to help keep noise down. The location is fantastic, as it is near main transportation stops, and it is within close walking distance of major BA landmarks. Being next to a night club did make for poor night's sleep for the light sleepers, though. The staff were friendly and happy to answer our many questions! They were also quick to solve any problems that arose with a helpful attitude.

• 12th Apr 2014

I really enjoyed my time spent in Portal del Sur. The staff is very friendly and they always helped me when i had questions. The hostel itself is incredible thanks to its rooftop, perfect to have a drink and see sunset. But what i enjoyed the most there was the people: a good mix between backpackers traveling by themselves, couples of all ages, group of friends, and even some families. I stayed in another hostel in Buenos Aires before and would absolutly recommend Portal del Sur to any person!

• 11th Apr 2014

Really good and nice staff and the hostel was really good and had a really nice roof terrace bar. If you have light sleep you shouldn't take a room with a window since there is a club which opens everyday and you can hear everything. Also the bunk beds are made of metal and when you move the whole bed moves which can make it a little tough to sleep. Other than that it's a really good hostel, I enjoyed staying there.

Hi Sandra, thank you for your review. We try to minimize the noise as much as possible to provide our guests with a good night’s sleep. We also fix and improve the furnitures on a regular basis because we know that the beds are damaged due to their daily use. We are currently working on the bunk beds to extend their stability. We took note of your comment and we thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve our service at the hostel. Regards

Not the best hostel. The common rooms were quiet noisy, not so fine to hang around. Breakfast was poor. Rooms were small, bath room cheap. Common bath room and toilets not so clean. The building is nice but all the floors and the organization of the common rooms made it not such a hostel where you can easily meet people and hang around with them. Reception down floor, bar at the room top en the common rooms in between. Why not all together so you easily find the place to hand around.

Hi Jaymi, we are sorry to hear about your bad experience at Portal del Sur. We try to minimize any noise our guests might experience in our rooms in order to provide a good night’s sleep. Also we do expect our rooms and bathrooms to be cleaned to a high standard and to be set up correctly. Our guests usually like to relax and entertain on the rooftop or in the common room located centrally on the 2nd floor, strategically located close to all the facilities. Regards

Great place, cool staff.

Nice, friendly hostel with excellent central location and welcoming atmosphere. Breakfast were standard basic Argentinian fare but hostel offers respite from the hurricane which is Mill House

The building is nice, roof top is ok but more geared as a bar than a daily chill out area. One common room so very easy to meet people, quiet enough but social. Sadly there is an infestation of bed bugs. Had to move twice, never got bitten but people on the bottom bunks did. Showers are bad, and a lot of the lockers are broken. Could do with some investment. Maids come and clean the kitchen/make your bed, so other than bed bugs it is clean. Two croissants and bread for brecky.

Hi, we are sorry to hear about your bad experience in Portal del Sur. Our hostel is very concerned about the bed bug issue. We run operations of disinfection on a regular basis and we have bought specific equipments, hired the most qualified specialists and attended trainings. We have worked seriously on this issue and we deeply hope that we won’t suffer from this problem anymore. Following your comment, we also fixed the showers and lockers. Thank you very much for your review

The front desk staff was excellent! Very helpful and friendly. The roof top was a nice place to sit. The location was close to the main drag. The building was beautifully restored. The bunk beds were very shaky.

I cancelled a twin room 5 days before date of arrival and took a 4 bed mixed dorm in its place. I emailed hostel world on 2 occasions re refund on the twin bed room. Never received a response from hostel world. Portal del Sur said it was out of their hands. Would have expected a response one way or the other from hostel world.

Very nice hostel! Cool roof terasse, friendly and helpful staff - definitely a good place to stay in BA. Not very much bars and places to go out in the night within the direct neighbourhood - but not difficult to get there by bus or taxi within a short time...

• 24th Feb 2014

My review is a bit late, but I wound up living here for two weeks in February because I couldnt bring myself to leave. I fell in love with the location, the rooftop bar, the guests, the staff, the old building, and eventually the city itself. I liked the centro better than swanky Palermo, and the hostels proximity to the Subte (metro) made it easy to get anywhere during the day. Cab rides back were never expensive. Staff are the best. Breakfast on the roof was my favorite time of day. Loved it!

10 out of 10! staff were great, very helpful and friendly.. free spanish lessons in the morning which was very helpful roof bar with lively atmosphere with other guests always up for a chat and a few drinks internet was in and out, other guests mention bed bugs but i didnt see any or get any bites my whole stay

View all Buenos Aires Hostels