Portal del Sur Reviews

Hipolito Yrigoyen 855, Buenos Aires, Argentina

I can't recommend this place enough. We were supposed to stay 3 nights only but ended up extending our stay for two weeks. This place has a decent, chilled out vibe during the day and at night there is a brilliant rooftop bar. The staff were excellent - extremely friendly and always helpful.

Great friendly staff with a relaxed attitude and everyone is willing to help you find your way. A+ team

• 9th Dec 2014

Employees were very nice and helpful, their valiant efforts to use English with me was greatly appreciated. Breakfast was very light and in limited supply. The bunk beds were terribly insecure. Showers and bathrooms were fine. Kitchen was fine. Public area and bar were fine. Strong room to store your belongins and lockers for your bags

• 5th Dec 2014

Very nice place!!!:)

Staff was perfect. The hostel has really atmosphere. But there were bedbugs in a couple of rooms. But they did everything to get rid of them. The hostel gave the money back to the travelers in those rooms and gave them a room without bedbugs ;-)

# 1 i had to pay the price for 2 (two) people in a tiny private room with soiled bedsheets, yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!! blood stains etc. on it. can you believe that. 40 dollars for soiled linens. i wish i had a chance to get my money back. # 2 a late check out was impossible due to the inflexibility of the cleaning staff # 3 the breakfast was sub-standard. a.) they started clearing the tables as well as the buffet prior to the time of 11 am, in order to leave exactly at 11 am. thats just not

• 29th Nov 2014

I didn't feel that some of the staff were as knowledgeably to the area. E.g. I was seriously warned about La Bocca security etc so was really worried about going, it was nowhere near that bad - I didn't feel unsafe at all in the day time.

• 28th Nov 2014

We had a really good time in Portal del Sur. We had a room on the backside of the building. The room was good value for the money. We didn't had any trouble with noise. On Friday the have a party on the roof top terras, but we didn't hear anything of it. This place is organizing lots of things to do. The staff is friendly and Gabriel is the best! He is very helpfull and knows a lot of the city. (Where can you buy the best empanada's? Where can you buy a nice leather bag? Gabriel knows!!)

I really liked my stay. The staff was good. But the air conditioning made a lot of noise. The shower didn't had a door. Just a curtain. The bunk beds weren't stable. So it wasn't easy to go in bed when you sleep at the top. But I will come back!

Portal del Sur is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. Perfect location, a spacious twin room, a great rooftop bar and an amazing staff. Highly recommended.

There was not hot water in my room.

• 17th Oct 2014
  • Spain

Firstly, the staffs messed up my booking even after several reminders. The hostel is heavily infested by bed bugs, I understand their reason but the attitudes towards the incident was terrible. The hostel manager almost refused to pay for my medical fees and refused to clean my clothes after what happened. Lastly, a guy came into our room (it was a female dorm) at 5am on the last night of my stay as the staff made a mistake, again! AVOID THIS HOSTEL!

Amazing breakfast and terrace

• 24th Sep 2014

The private rooms are very good. The location is fantastic and it has an interesting colonial feel. In my opinion the Plasa de Mayo is the best street in town - this hostel is on he same block around the corner. Its great to be able to walk out of the door into all the major history of the capital.

It's a very good option in Buenos Aires. The hostel has many activities, such as tango and spanish classes and city cultural tour. The staff is very helpful and the infrastructure's good, including clean bathrooms and bedrooms all the time.

• 21st Sep 2014

This was a fine place to stay but not the best of the best. The staff were helpful and the facilities were good, although the place is kind of dark. Would recommend but not sure how it got LP's 'Top Choice'.

The beds weren't that great and very uncomfortable. It was also very noisy at times. The rooftop bar and breakfast were good. The staff could have been more welcoming. They did not help much when you needed some travel advice.

Very noisy hostel, staff did not maintain rules of no noise in the lounge area after 10pm and our family were often still awake at 2 am, very inconsiderate. On the other hand we were told that breakfast began at 7.30 when we checked in, but when we tried to have a 7.30 breakfast on the day we were due to fly out and had to leave at 8am, the staff kicked us out of the breakfast area and refused to let us have breakfast at all. This hostel needs to get its priorities right! I do not recommend.

The whole process of booking, checking in and checking out was VERY efficient. Past mid-night, I was received, aided, and guided by Ignacio at the reception. He helped carrying my luggage to the third floor, he called a taxi to pick me up the next day, and gave me the receipt. Joaquin was working at the desk when I checked out. He was also very helpful. Thank you all: I'll be back!

• 17th Jul 2014
  • Mexico

Staff never went out of their way to assist us when we asked for help. Otherwise good location, breakfeast was basic.

View all Buenos Aires Hostels