Portland House Reviews

555, South Circular Road, Kilmainham, Dublin, Ireland

The owners were very warm, welcoming and delightful with our 2 year old grandson. The breakfast was delicious... Best breakfast sausages I have tasted!

• 16th Aug 2014

The owner was very rude and opened the door while being fairly intoxicated. She made my employees to drive around Dublin looking for the ATM as she refused to accept payment by card and when the cash was provided, refused to give a receipt. She also refused to provide breakfast, because, apparently, 7.30 on Friday morning, is to early to make breakfast for people staying there. The only good thing I can say that bed & breakfast was in top location for my guys to get to work. No excuse though

• 14th Aug 2014
  • Belarus

Portland House has a comfortable atmosphere with a great Irish breakfast served every day.

Very good hostel, the only desidvatnage is the location, a bit far from the city center. But the tramway is 5 min from the hostel and there is a bus stop very close.

The staff at Portland House was very friendly and helpful. My room was phenomenal, especially for the great price. It was a wonderful retreat from the hostels I had been staying at during most of my trip through Ireland. I loved the home cooked Irish breakfast. Thank you!

• 17th Jul 2014

Vern convient location with good bus access to center of Dublin.

• 5th Jul 2014

Breakfast was fine& the proprietor was good enough to mske us up a packed breakfast on departure as we were leving very early. The issue was the size of the twin room, very cramped. The door of the ensuite actusly hits the toilet seat on opening & closing. The shower cubicle was very small , therefore difficult to shower effectively. The was basin too small to actually get both hands in.

• 7th Feb 2014

Good B&B, nice breakfast and clean rooms. Convenient location, very close to the red Luas.

The house and the people are nice, but the single room is extremely small, without wardrobe, just a chair and two coat pegs at the door. A big suitcase is impossible to place somewhere. Ok, if you come with small luggage for a short time.

• 12th Sep 2013

Perfect location. Everything we needed, that is why we came back!

The landlady is very friendly and helpful. Good connection to LUAS (the tram), only a few stops into the city. Can get a bit loud at night because the windows in this Victorian house seem to be Victorian, too :-) Very good place if you don't want to be right in the city centre but close enough.

• 22nd Sep 2012

The hotel was outside of the city center of Dublin. It was walkable but took about a half an hour. The staff was very friendly. They did not have a huge amount of knowledge about Dublin but they did have books available. They were very accomidating for breakfast and when we could not eat there they packed us a breakfast. The walls were thin and throughout the night I could hear people on the street. Also the shower water was not hot at all. I could feel the springs in the bed.

Lovely stay here, nice room, clean and homely. The lady that runs the place would be a credit to any bandb. Great stay

• 5th Jul 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here. Everything was wonderful from the rooms and toilets to the Irish breakfast served each morning. Our host even drove us to the tram/bus station so we could catch our bus to leave. The location was great, in a nice neighbourhood. You have to take the tram to get into the city centre but that was very easy to do. Overall, a great experience!

Pro: Very nice and friendly owner. Tasty and filling breakfast. Very quiet - great if you'd like to actually sleep at night. Clean (but far from spotless). The owner let us borrow umbrellas and arranged a taxi for us. Tasteful decorations. Contra: We've waited for 20 minutes in the rain before the owner came at check-in. Faint smell of moisture (mildew) in the room). No wifi (I know it wasn't advertised, but in todays era it's a must). Too small a room for 3 people. High price.

(over and above the call of duty) Arrived at Portland House at 12 noon we recieved a warm welcome dropped our bags and headed off to the aviva stadium. Following the advice of the good lady of the house we found the venue with no problems at 1320 , myself and my daughter sat on a pavement waiting to see the Script (top irish band) we stood up at 1400 and from then remained standing until 0130. breakfast was a purfect start to the day(good man ) the Portland is an ideal place to explore dublin

• 2nd Jul 2011

Great accomodation for the price, decent location, but the proprietor is BIZARRE.

This sweet little B&B is hosted by two of the worlds' nicest people. Breakfest was always great (and kept us till evening), mood is always cheerful and they have also helped us a lot whenever wev'e encountered a problem. The location is 7 minutes bus drive from Temple Bar (never had to wait more then 5 for one to come), and a 5 minutes walk from other interesting locations (Dublin Art Museum, Kilmainham Gaol, 15m to Phoenix Park). A great value for your money!!!

A fairly simple B&B, very nice and in a location that\'s away from the city center, but has good public transport access to the main attractions. Be warned that even though it\'s a \"neigborhood\" kind of b&b, it sits on a fairly busy street. I have no problem with the constant sound of passing cars, but some people might find it distracting. The house itself is pretty well kept and the decor keeps in character with the historic nature of the building. A simple b&b that I\'d return to & recomme

Very nice B & B! Located in a more residential area of Dublin. Friendly staff! 20 minute walk from Phoenix Park! Only complaints are that the tv is placed a little high up, I wasn't able to lock my door from the outside, only the inside, and the fact that I was situated facing the street, so I could hear cars passing by at night.

View all Dublin Bed and Breakfasts