Portland House Reviews

555, South Circular Road, Kilmainham, Dublin, Ireland

small room, old facilities, shady neighbourhood with homeless people trying to ambush me 2x, and the gardai found a homeless girl who had not survived the night just 5min from the b&b, the showers and toilets with see-through glass on the door - anybody passing by could see you, and the owner was very unfriendly. She welcomed me with a "you're two hours late" although I had stated the time in an email, sent me looking for an ATM for half a night because she was leaving early on checkout morning

Excellent B&B with friendly & obliging staff. About a 20 minute walk to the centre, but there is a bus literally outside the front door. We had a very clean, quiet room. If noise bothers you, ask for a room at the side or back of the house. A very generous cooked breakfast. The only negative thing I can think of is that the shower in our room did not have great water pressure & the water was luke warm. I would definitely stay there again.

• 11th Sep 2015
  • All Female Group, 41+

The hostess was wonderful. Lovely and warm and was really helpful in providing recommendations on places to visit.

Very accommodating hosts. A bit of a walk into town so I suggest using the LUSA line

Delightful stay. Helpful hostess and delicious breakfast. I would repeat my visit!

• 30th Jun 2015

The stay was very nice! Nice breakfast, nice host! Definitely worth for the money. The tram is very close, and it's only 5-10 minutes to city centre

Really great base for a stay in Dublin-just round the corner from the Luas (tram) and across the road from the bus stop. Great hospitality and can't really fault anything!

• 25th Aug 2014

We liked to stay in Portland House two times on our trip across Ireland. Good location to start / end tour or just visit dublin. Easy to get to city by bus or tram.

The owners were very warm, welcoming and delightful with our 2 year old grandson. The breakfast was delicious... Best breakfast sausages I have tasted!

• 16th Aug 2014

The owner was very rude and opened the door while being fairly intoxicated. She made my employees to drive around Dublin looking for the ATM as she refused to accept payment by card and when the cash was provided, refused to give a receipt. She also refused to provide breakfast, because, apparently, 7.30 on Friday morning, is to early to make breakfast for people staying there. The only good thing I can say that bed & breakfast was in top location for my guys to get to work. No excuse though

• 14th Aug 2014
  • Belarus

Portland House has a comfortable atmosphere with a great Irish breakfast served every day.

Very good hostel, the only desidvatnage is the location, a bit far from the city center. But the tramway is 5 min from the hostel and there is a bus stop very close.

The staff at Portland House was very friendly and helpful. My room was phenomenal, especially for the great price. It was a wonderful retreat from the hostels I had been staying at during most of my trip through Ireland. I loved the home cooked Irish breakfast. Thank you!

• 17th Jul 2014

Vern convient location with good bus access to center of Dublin.

• 5th Jul 2014

Breakfast was fine& the proprietor was good enough to mske us up a packed breakfast on departure as we were leving very early. The issue was the size of the twin room, very cramped. The door of the ensuite actusly hits the toilet seat on opening & closing. The shower cubicle was very small , therefore difficult to shower effectively. The was basin too small to actually get both hands in.

• 7th Feb 2014

Good B&B, nice breakfast and clean rooms. Convenient location, very close to the red Luas.

The house and the people are nice, but the single room is extremely small, without wardrobe, just a chair and two coat pegs at the door. A big suitcase is impossible to place somewhere. Ok, if you come with small luggage for a short time.

• 12th Sep 2013

Perfect location. Everything we needed, that is why we came back!

The landlady is very friendly and helpful. Good connection to LUAS (the tram), only a few stops into the city. Can get a bit loud at night because the windows in this Victorian house seem to be Victorian, too :-) Very good place if you don't want to be right in the city centre but close enough.

• 22nd Sep 2012

The hotel was outside of the city center of Dublin. It was walkable but took about a half an hour. The staff was very friendly. They did not have a huge amount of knowledge about Dublin but they did have books available. They were very accomidating for breakfast and when we could not eat there they packed us a breakfast. The walls were thin and throughout the night I could hear people on the street. Also the shower water was not hot at all. I could feel the springs in the bed.

View all Dublin Bed and Breakfasts