Pousada Ecoverde Reviews

Rua Pedro Celestino, 391, Cuiaba, Brazil

Pousada Ecoverde is a great place to stay if you're looking to organise a trip to the Pantanal. Joel is an incredible host; very friendly and will do anything for his guests. The Pousada is unique, with a great atmosphere. It was lovely to just relax in the hammocks in the garden while listening to Joel's old records and surrounded by the birds and kittens. Joel organised a 4 day trip out to the Pantanal for me. The tour was incredible and great value for money - we even saw 5 Jaguars!

• 14th Oct 2014

It was very hot in Cuiaba and the fans in our room were noisy and didn´t relieve the heat. I wouldn´t travel to this part of Brazil again in September. The hostel is a bit run down but Joel is very kind and put us in touch with a guide in Chapada dos Guimaraes which is about an hour away by bus. Sergio took us on some walks in that region which we thoroughly enjoyed.

I had a great experience in this hostel! It had a variety of food in breakfast. Also, I stayed in one of the newly built rooms and the air-conditioning worked well but not too much. The most importantly, althoguh I stupidly left my cell phone in this hostel due to lack of sleep, one of the owners, Joel, quickly and kindly replied to my desparate email and sent it to my next destination right away!!!!! I am sure that he is one of the nicest people I ever met in Brazil!!! Thank you so much, Joel!!

Caian was incredibly helpful, and he and his friends made us feel very welcome. 100% recommended.

Wonderful experience! Cuiabá is not a beaultiful city and the museums were closed but the hostel staff and the friends that I made were worthy.

I stayed two nights at Pousada Ecoverde before and after joining one of their tours (3 nights/4 days) into the Pantanal. Joel at the Pousada is an excellent host. The accommodation and the pousada are rustic and the guest area has many interesting memorabilia from the area on display as well as Brasil travel information. The tour was great - Luiz (Rambo) was an excellent guide and we saw many birds and animals (incl. ocelot, margay, tamandua and tapir). I can highly recommend Pousada Ecoverde.

• 14th May 2014
  • South Africa

An interesting and unusual place to stay ! The house is full of things from around the 1950's , including still functional vinyl record players. There is a pleasant garden for breakfast, which attracts many birds, as well as being used by the resident dog, cats and hens. Joel is very helpful, and organised an excellent Pantanal tour.

I would come back again to this hostel . The owner Joel was always helpful and kind. He will assist you in case you want a tour for pantanal and chapada dos guimaraes. I really recommend it !

Our room was not available. We had to share a room with a friend that was already there.

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Poland

Don't be fooled by the fading exterior- it's pretty inside. If you're a germaphobe, afraid of bugs, or used to luxury, I don't stay in any hostel ever, but if you like meeting new people, it's a great place. The beds were comfortable, the kitchen well stocked. The courtyard had maps, books, and old music players. The back part had hammocks and a mini jungle. There were also chickens and an adorable kitten. Breakfast was tasty. The owners were friendly and helpful. Pantanal tour was nice too.

• 30th Oct 2013

Excellent, "down to the earth" - treatment and local advice by the owner and his family. Very basic, but extremely enjoyable, if you are ready for it. Very expensive Pantanal tours, but obviously your "more than less" guaranteed jaguar has its price.

• 18th Oct 2013

I went on the Pantanal tour with Joel's group. Very professional, respectful and guide was great. One thing - I wish Joel didn't stick someone on me to waste my time circling around the town (till 5:30pm) so that I won't have any other option but to go on his tour. Really not necessary because he is obviously reputable. I would have opted for him even if he didn't stick someone on me. I wish he didn't do such a shady thing...

Thanks for the welocome and wonderful atttention for everything.

I'm a very positive reviewer BUT: "Free" transport was R$50. After protesting Joel put in 20. If it's advertized, don't renege once the customer arrives! He said the single room was being reno'd but it just seemed like someone's dingy bedroom, complete with clothes in the wardrobe. I pinned up a towel to cover a missing window pane looking onto a common area. The neighborhood was sleazy. Joel seemed sneaky & opportunistic. As a solo female, I wasn't comfortable. (I wish I had more room here!)

Cleanliness is difficult to judge fairly as renovations were being made at the time. But once completed, and the clean-up which follows completed, this should be marked at least GOOD. Staff marked as EXCELLENT due to the enormous knowledge of Joel, which he happily passed on.

I stayed here for 4 or 5 nights and loved it! The pousada is centrally located, large, and has a very welcoming atmosphere. It is definitely a unique place. It is almost like staying in a relative's house. The owner is a great source of knowledge. If you are looking for this kind of atmosphere and like an eccentric touch, I would recommend this pousada.

Great location and the family is really friendly. I was able to relax in the hammocks and enjoy the garden. Bring insect repellant!

Joel is a really good guy. We stayed in the hostel for 3 nights. The rooms were clean, as well as the bathroom. De breakfast was also good and Joel took care of arranging the taxi's. It is totally worth the price they aks for it! Thanks Joel for having a great time! Jan en Nicky van Veenendaal (The Netherlands)

• 17th Jun 2013

Joel is a nice guy and knows english and german. I was surprised. He helps you with everything!!! The tour i did to the pantanal was cool. Its a nice hostel to start your pantanal excursion.

We stayed 4 nights at the Pousada with Joel and his family and had a very nice stay. They gave us a lot of information and helped us planning our trip. There is a nice courtyard with hammocks and a good library. There is always music playing - just radio or some of Joel's old records - wich makes for a nice atmosphere. Facilities sometimes could be a bit cleaner, but they were definitely not dirty.

• 22nd Apr 2013