Pousada de Ponta Delgada Reviews

R. S. Francisco Xavier, s/n - Ponta Delgada, Ponta Delgada, Portugal

It felt more like a boarding school than hostel. The staff was not very helpful nor friendly.

• 19th Nov 2015
  • Estonia

Common room area is a little lacking in facilities and things to read, compared to many IYHF / YHA and independent hostels I have used. The self service breakfast is good. Other meals are available. Very good for the airport - didn't need a bus or taxi (probably about 2 or 3 km although uphill going back)

It's a very simple place, but very functional and clean. It includes a very basic breakfast which is a nice bonus. It also has a well equipped kitchen. If you rent a car you can park it right in front of the hostel which is extremely useful. We stayed in a nice little double bedroom and it was perfect for our stay. Would definitely recommend!

Loved the building, nice location at that park. Also has the best guest kitchen I ever saw at a hostel. Staff is very helpful.

In general I was really satisfied this place. Breakfast was OK, but I just don't like "PDL type" bread. Anyway I didn't expect breakfast, but well it was free. :) The room was cleaned everyday during my stay. :)

It is all nice. The only downside is there is only internet in de commonroom, so every single person there is checking their phones. It kills the atmosphere.

• 18th Aug 2015

Very old hostel in a mediocre position, the facilities are falling apart and the unfriendly staff is just the cherry on the cake. Not recommended at all...

• 3rd Aug 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

I have stayed in many hostels and this was the worst. I really don't even know where to begin. The one key system is a disaster. The shower doors are transparent which leaves room for no privacy. There are no hooks/shelves in the shower for a towel. The bedrooms don't have screens so I woke up COVERED in bug bites. The man (I believe his name was Hugo) working at the front desk was rude and it seemed as though anything I asked was an inconvenience. Overall a terrible terrible hostel.

I just stayed one night because I had a long flight connection. It was decent, but felt very much like a summer camp. Average age of guests was about 16. The showers are quite communal... no place to hang your towel or put your clothes except in the public area... and the doors are see-through. The dorm rooms only have 1 key, so basically it seemed the door was never locked - except when I arrived at 1:30am and had to knock and wake someone up to let me in.

Bad points for washrooms: PLEASE ask the International YHA to supply you with funds to do up the showers, they are appalling. Washroom sinks have no hot water! Insufficient number of washrooms means they are very dirty 24/7! The hordes of youngsters do not put tissues in bins provided nor scoop up hairs in the showers etc., so staff need to put notices up. 1 out of 4 female showers has a broken lock. Sinks in private doubles would ease overcrowded washrooms. No cooking facilities a big minus.

• 27th Jun 2015
  • Switzerland
  • Couple, 41+

No wifi in the rooms.

Not exactly a warm welcome from the staff; few entertainments available (some board games or something like that needed); had to pay 4€ for one hour of pool (which is too expensive); common room miserable and not conducive to chat; no WiFi in the rooms; hostel overall a bit dated.

View all Ponta Delgada Hostels