Pretoria Backpackers Reviews

425 Farenden street Clydesdale, Pretoria, South Africa

The hostel was nice but a little dingy and tired. The staff, although helpful, could be encouraged to make visitors feel welcome and not like an interruption of whatever they are doing? A good vacuum would also not go amiss.

• 17th Feb 2014
  • South Africa

i like the old house where the hostel is. the staff were helpful and nice. the neighborhood is safe. free internet in the garden and reception. i wish they fix the wifi so the whole house can have it. my only issue is that it is not that clean especially the kitchen. but overall good vibe.

We booked our dorm 4(!) weeks before our arrival and sended them an email with our arrival time as we wanted the free pick-up they´re offering. Actually that´s a trap! We had to take a taxi as "the driver was not availabe" and heard from some guys we met at the hostel that they also had to pay. Moreover the hostel-guy told us after our arrival that they are fully booked, despite our reservation. So instead they brought us to a spooky guesthouse in the middle of nowwhere. It was a scary night!

The hostel itself was very central and the accomodation quite comfy. However, I have to state my dismay that there were cockroaches all over the kitchen and dining area, the wifi was down for my entire stay, and the staff were not the friendliest bunch. In the end, my stay was comfy, but very dissapointing. I couldn't wait to leave.

• 18th Nov 2013
  • South Africa

Dirk thanks for your comment - you were told that the kitchen was closed for renovations so you were not allowed in the kitchen I think you are only upset because we don't let South Africans stay in mix dorms and you had to stay in a single room. Our internet was down for 2 weeks as we battle with stolen cables and bad service from the service provider. Our next door property did had internet which you had used on request

Good place to stay but a bit of a walk from Church Square. Could do with a bit of a spruce up. Good pub nearby.

Pretoria Backpackers is an old favorite. I visit Souyh Africa several times each year and this is where I begin and end my tours. I will go again in March 2014.

The hostel is in a great area, its nestled in a safe inner city suburb out of the main city but most importantly near to the main attractions. It's probably for the older clientelle due to its mature atmosphere. Definately not a party hostel; staff were friendly, lodgers were friendly and I had a good overall experience, nothing seemed to be outstanding but well done. Recommended stay for a few nights in Pretoria. Staff effectiveness seemed to vary, but the zimbabwean lady is brilliant however.