Princes Street Backpackers East

Very Good 1891 Total Reviews

• Scotland, Female, 18-24
22nd Sep 2017
5.7

Genuinely the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in, including sleeping on floors and camping on rocks, and was obviously very very old. Also the room smelt incredibly stale as did the kitchen, although the bathrooms etc were clean. The plug sockets in the room didn't work, and it felt unsafe going into an empty stairwell that was open to the street late at night. That said, the painted halls were totally brilliant and mental vand the staff were friendly and there was free coffee.

• Indonesia, Female, 31-40
21st Sep 2017
4.9

Our stay was awful. We didn't expect that kind of accommodation for the price we paid. There was no lift, we had to climb on the stairs with our luggages to the fifth floor, and the place was like a labyrinth. No wi fi in our bedroom. The space between lower bed and the upper bed was so tight, I couldn't even sit on the lower bed. There was no key for the locker. When I wanted to make some tea, the tea jar was empty. We paid for two nights, but we decided to move on the 2nd night to other place

• klnethers
  • USA, Female, 41+
16th Sep 2017
8.0

I stayed two nights in a six bed girls dorm room. As an older traveler, I did find the six stories I had to climb to be challenging, but I knew what I was getting into. The cheap rates were what I needed on these days. The mattress was comfortable. The linens clean. But I was given a bottom bunk, and there's not enough room to sit up in bed. There are also no chairs in the room, and only one outlet by the entry with a six plug adapter. The 24 hour reception insured good security.

16th Sep 2017
7.1

The very friendly staff greeted me as I walked through the door and explained the ins and outs of the facility. I checked into my room, which was nice and appeared well maintained. My main issues were the very uncomfortable bed - I could seriously feel every spring in the mattress- and the fact they had 1 bathroom for an entire floor (made up of dorms) with literally 1 shower, 1 toilet, and 1 sink. The location was absolutely perfect and the common area was small but nice

• Australia, Male, 18-24
13th Sep 2017
4.0

Everything is kind of falling apart. The locker for me was broken so there was no way I could lock my possessions, lots of out order toilets. Low cleanliness throughout the entire place. However, it does have a really good vibe, all the travellers are super friendly and you can definitely make some friends in there.

• USA, Female, 18-24
12th Sep 2017

The staff here were nothing but helpful and friendly! The beds are clean and comfortable. There's no breakfast in the morning :( but that's made up for by the fully stocked kitchen!!! Nothing beats being able to make your own tea and meal, when you've been eating out for the past week. It takes 72 stairs to reach ("This'll get you healthy!") but once you're here, it's value for your money.

• karlquarx
  • Germany, Male, 18-24
12th Sep 2017

Awesome atmosphere at princes street, the location is the best and the people there are just easy going. there are some long therm guests living in the hostel with are quite open for going out etc., so its perfect for solo travellers. Its a huge, old Hostel, youll see wallpaintings from the seventys, which is quite cool!

11th Sep 2017
7.4

The only thing that made this hostel enjoyable to stay in were the staff, (they were very friendly). It's a bit of a climb at 50-60 steps (so be warned if you have any heavy over sized luggage), and you can only get wifi in the dining/ common room area, but that was fine for me as it forced me to interact with the other guests. The paintings on the wall were like they came from a fevered dream (one which I was sure would give me nightmares), but if you can see beyond that it can be a nice place.

11th Sep 2017

I've stayed here three times now and it can't be beat for price and location. It's always my first choice hostel in Edinburgh. Pros: easy to find, clean/no mold, 24hr staff desk, tons of character, walking distance to literally everything in Edinburgh, free wifi, free tea/coffee, close to train station/airport shuttle. Cons: sometimes a long wait for an open shower stall, uncomfortable beds, limited plug availability. Terrifying mural of a man with some chickens.

• Ecuador, Male, 25-30
10th Sep 2017

Great location. Beware that the wifi doesn't work in the room. The rest is OK.

×