Princes Street Backpackers East Reviews

5 West Register Street - top floor, Edinburgh, Scotland

The wifi was not free, you had to pay for it.

Excellent place, great people both staff and guests.. I'll be back ;)

• 13th May 2015
  • Scotland

Loved this hostel! Very funky and fun.

• 10th May 2015

Only (big) inconvenience was the flights of stairs to access the hostel which should be mentioned more clearly on the website as there is no lift. My friend had a leg injury and had to struggle up and down every day, not nice. Other than that I would recommend the place. Our room was very basic but had the minimum comfort you'd expect when staying in a hostel. Bathroom was always clean and has modern shower cubicles. Helpful staff. Convenient location. Quiet at night, even at the weekend.

Fantastic hostel! A true backpackers hostel in the heart of Edinburgh; great staff and fellow guests, we really enjoy the common areas, there's so much to do! Board games, paint, puzzles, instruments, and an incredible VHS collection! My partner and I felt welcomed and homely right away, we kept extending our stay! Thanks guys!

• 6th May 2015

We just arrive to the building and there were 4 floors up. In reception, they didn't really explain where the things were, just the money in advance +10£ for the room key. Once in the room we looked around and were old furnitures full of damage. Moreover, we went to the toilets to have a look and were mixed, the walls were broken, shower's hangers broken too...it looks like careless. To finish, just 2 hour free internet and after that we have to pay (they didn't explain it the first day)

• 1st May 2015
  • Spain

Perfect location, overall good experience. Good guy at reception. 1 night only though, for example did not took shower or used kitchen etc to have full opinion

• 1st May 2015
  • Greece

wifi is not fair - 2 hours/ room do not mean that the wifi is free, for full honesty mention it 77 steps to the hostel - also not mentioned in the description card terminal is not working little blue ID cards are useless, meaningless, easy to destroy and lose ---- the hostel should come up with another form of identification staff is unpleasant, impolite and rude

• 17th Apr 2015
  • Hungary

The hostel took us a little bit by surprise. The location is great, and the steps warning was fine too. Personally not used to the paintings and found them overbearing. Lots of people staying here. It's a busy place but had a great nights sleep here. :)

• 11th Apr 2015

As a first time hostel experience by myself I didn't have any expectations. Staff were super helpful and friendly, rooms were clean and fun, all the maze-like stairs just added to the fun of the place. I ended up staying 3 nights. Location is right near Edinburgh Waverley station. Only first 2 hours of wifi was free (that you can log out to save your minutes) but that's all I needed. Definitely recommend to people with no expectations and enjoy the hostel for what it is!

• 10th Apr 2015

Good hostel, clean rooms and toilets, great location in the city centre, friendly staff.No good if you have heavy luggage: the hostel is on the top floor of a building,you need to go 77 step to reach it. I was lucky a very kind (and strong) gentleman I met on the stairs helped me carrying it. Also only 1 power socket for a 6 bed dormitory! Not enough at all. But they say they are renovating the rooms and they will add more of these. Only 2 hors of free wi-fi, if you need more you need to pay.

Most showers in this vast place were out of service. On my bottom bunk bed I had headroom of maybe 25cm or 1ft. I felt like I was sleeping in a pink coffin. Mattress was bumpy and sloping. Not dead cert I had clean linen. No free wifi which should be standard in this day and age. Make sure you turn up with cash to pay for your staY. On the up the place was pretty quiet considering the size and location, had one of the best equipped kitchens I've seen in a hostel. Fine for one night.

• 10th Apr 2015
  • Czech Republic

Extremely friendly and helpful staff. And lovely guests helping to carry my heavy suitcase up all the stairs. Nice and quiet. Will definitely stay again.

• 7th Apr 2015
  • Scotland

We stayed 1 night in a double bedroom which was quite nice and big, but unfortunately the bed sheets were stained and dirty. We know it's a backpackers hostel, but a new set of bed sheets is cheap and would encorage people to stay at this place again. The sink in the bedroom was also very dirty, but the shared bathroom was very clean and neat.

GREAT HOSTEL! But I cant believe they don't have free internet, I am pretty sure this was the first time that ive been asked to pay for internet in a hostel. Its a shame because otherwise it is a great hostel. I LOVED their VHS collection.

There was no lock on the door? Unbelievable ...

It's hard to find a hostel that will let you stay one night, and isn't too expensive, so we were happy to get what we paid for. Room doors don't lock (which makes life easier but less secure) and the bedding felt damp; mattress was so old and caved in I felt I was on the bunk below... speaking of which, getting into the bottom bunk is like climbing into a post box. The gap between the mattresses is so small that with your elbow on the lower bed, you can touch the mattress above you.

• 28th Feb 2015

Location was great, really central, but the bar below was noisy. There weren't any locks on the doors yet but they were in the process of installing them. Lockers were provided but you needed to rent a lock. The room was a little chilly, especially when the window wouldn't stay shut. However the staff were nice and accommodating. One of our party had been placed in a different room and they arranged for her to be with us instead.

The security was not good. I had a towel and a couple other things stolen after being briefly left in the open. There were no locks on doors, though lockers were provided and locks could be rented out for £5. Great location. Wifi wasn't advertised but it would have been nice to have.

we were disappointed in the standard of the room, the double room didnt have curtains and the overall standard of this hostel was not good. The kitchen worked but was a bit old and dirty. the toilets were okey. the showers were good. the location was great!