Princes Street Backpackers East Reviews

5 West Register Street - top floor, Edinburgh, Scotland

There was no lock on the door? Unbelievable ...

It's hard to find a hostel that will let you stay one night, and isn't too expensive, so we were happy to get what we paid for. Room doors don't lock (which makes life easier but less secure) and the bedding felt damp; mattress was so old and caved in I felt I was on the bunk below... speaking of which, getting into the bottom bunk is like climbing into a post box. The gap between the mattresses is so small that with your elbow on the lower bed, you can touch the mattress above you.

• 28th Feb 2015

Location was great, really central, but the bar below was noisy. There weren't any locks on the doors yet but they were in the process of installing them. Lockers were provided but you needed to rent a lock. The room was a little chilly, especially when the window wouldn't stay shut. However the staff were nice and accommodating. One of our party had been placed in a different room and they arranged for her to be with us instead.

The security was not good. I had a towel and a couple other things stolen after being briefly left in the open. There were no locks on doors, though lockers were provided and locks could be rented out for £5. Great location. Wifi wasn't advertised but it would have been nice to have.

we were disappointed in the standard of the room, the double room didnt have curtains and the overall standard of this hostel was not good. The kitchen worked but was a bit old and dirty. the toilets were okey. the showers were good. the location was great!

Friendly helpful staff but the plugs didn't work in the room and it was noisy

• 20th Feb 2015

I really liked the atmosphere in the hostel, cosy kitchen, nice dining room, the smell of fresh linens when I entered my room - loved it!

The location of this hostel is great, right next to the main train station, right on Princes St. The stairs aren't bad but if you cant climb 5 flights of stairs this isn't the hostel for you. The staff was great, really helpful and kind. The beds were really my only complaint, not very comfy and could feel bars in my back. However it was the best price for the weekend I was there and for one night it wasn't bad.

I had a lovely time staying at this hostel. The facilities had everything I needed and everyone I met was friendly & kind. I also really enjoyed Edinburgh. Thank you!

• 29th Jan 2015

Amazing location. Nice clean toilets and showers, big kitchen area with free tea and coffee. Friendly and helpful staff. Highly recomended!

• 16th Jan 2015
  • Slovenia

I stayed princes street backpackers east for 3 nights . When i went this hostel that i have very heavy baggages. Even I felt taird when I got the top floor but cause there staffs are really kind and helped me a lot.they gave me 100 persents satisfied let me stay there. The kitchen was very clean . Everybody after used kitchen stuffs and arrianged very well. Also the shower rooms and tolets are very clean It is quite worthy of stay. Thanks sabina and all staffs .

• 8th Jan 2015
  • South Korea

Great place for a cheap double bed. It is across the street from the main train station. Only downside are the 5 flight of stairs you have to climb because there isn't a lift. The staff were very friendly and recommended snax cafe for breakfast. If you stay you get a 10% discount there. It was an excellent Scottish cafe serving haggis and black pudding amongst other traditional food.

• 20th Dec 2014

Friendly staff, perfect location Good value for money if you want to be close to the city centre. Quite noisy as it is straight above a pub.

Nice hostel especially for the location just next to the bus station and main Christmas Market. It is quite old but staff is trying to make it better. Room was ok nothing more (no bed lights, only big padlocks for lockers and no towels provided). For one night it is very good hostel.

Didn't get to stay there as I stayed in another city that night! So I got my night refunded. The only think I can say is that there was no problem with the refund!

The rooms can not be locked, as well as the lockers. The linens were very dirty and 100% not washed.

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Austria

The mattress protector on the bed in the double room had brown stains all over it ! Disgusting!

Location's great and the staff helpful. Facilities old and run-down, few toilets, no lockers, wi-fi only 2 hours. Beds were clean.

Only one bathroom on my floor for five rooms! Great location!

• 8th Nov 2014
  • ryshanks

Loved it here, people are so friendly that it has a family-like atmosphere. A centrally located hostel, just across the bridge from the old town. Some great characters staying here. Just don't forget your flip-flops for the showers!