Princes Street Backpackers East Reviews

5 West Register Street - top floor, Edinburgh, Scotland

Loved it here, people are so friendly that it has a family-like atmosphere. A centrally located hostel, just across the bridge from the old town. Some great characters staying here. Just don't forget your flip-flops for the showers!

Good for his closeness to the city centre, but not a nice place at all

• 17th Oct 2014

Very good location but room very poor and bed uncomfortable. Of all hostels must say that this is the most grotty I have encountered. Location is what you are paying for

Nice little hostel with a lot of rooms! I didn't find it very dirty (as some other reviews suggested), though it was a nice climb to the 5th floor. The staff were great and the kitchen, well-stocked. The dining room is a good place to meet people or just hang out with a beer / cup of tea.

The hostel looked cheap and well situated, but a big disappoinment once I arrived. There was no warm water in any of the showers on my floor. While they promise free Wifi, you only get 2 hours for free for your whole stay and it does not work in the rooms. Also, they say there is a washing machine, but when I wanted to use it, the staff said it was only available after 6 PM every day. When I wanted to wash then, I was not allowed to because it was my last day. The rooms have no locks either.

it was aaamaaazzzzzzziiiiiiinnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggg thanks :)

• 4th Sep 2014

great atmosphere, very sociable people who you get to know very quickly as the hostel has a great common room for everyone. we met very cool and friendly people there, we're even out all together. it was a great time. everything is very easy overthere (except from wifi:()

• 2nd Sep 2014

Location was perfect. It was almost at right in front of the station. But it's on the 5th floor in the building without a lift. So one who carry a trolley bag should keep this at mind. 24 hour reception is good. Except the location, everything was so poor.

• 23rd Aug 2014
  • South Korea

I really like to spend time in this hostel, the staff is very nice and almost people there were very friendly. Anyway, I think that only the security could be improve, because the entrance door on the ground floor is open all the time and the bedroom I was not have any lockers. Recommend this place.

1. only 2 hrs of free wifi regardless of duration of stay; major problem when trying to plan activities 2. lack of enough power outlets in the room (only 2 near the door, adjacent to 2 beds in an 8-bed dorm 3. the bottom of the upper bunk is 1.5 feet from the lower bunk bed so you have no chance of sitting up in your bed and will inevitably bang your head multiple times when getting up 4. the hostel is on absolute top-most floor (almost the roof) 5. no lock on the door or entrance

The hostel is centrally located and the staff are pleasant and easy going. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and fresh and the showers have hot water, which can not always be taken for granted. We were very pleased and felt welcomed. The only negative thing we can think of is that it is located on the top floor and has no lift. But otherwise we can highly recommend this place! You really get value for your money and if we go to Edinburgh again, we will definitely consider staying here again!

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Sweden

Nice kitchen, friendly staffs, wonderful location!

This hostel is slightly alright. It's sort of safe as there are lockers in the rooms and they control everyone who comes in by requiring people to show a certain paper given during the check-in, but there are no safety measures when it comes to getting access to the rooms. It's very well-located, in the city centre and right on the side of the train station. The staff was very helpful when I needed. Downside: they should take more care of the building, what we pay and what we get aren't the same

Had free dinner on sunday which was an amazing surprise! Location is great if coming from the train station but it is up 4flights of stairs

over priced run down place, broken bed spring was sharp and stuck into me, not enough bathrooms or showers for number of guests in far rooms. common areas where ussually taken up by long term guests. stairs up are a killer. only good points are friendly helpful staff and location. only pick if you have little other choice.

They're almost doing as good as the Willy Wallace Hostel in Stirling. Thanks gosy!

good hostel. location is good. staff is friendly. clean room

Too expensive

free dinners on Sunday. there are regulars who live there - nothing good or bad. internet access is limited to 2 hours per stay, regardless of how long it is. dislike certain toilets where there are no wash basins - have to go to the shower / another toilet to wash the hands...

It was the worst selection I made while my stay in UK. location ok but too tough to find. No sign or mark. Not even any board. Kitchen, toilets are too bad. My dorm was smelly. Wont recommend in any conditon.