Princes Street Backpackers East Reviews

5 West Register Street - top floor, Edinburgh, Scotland

This hostel was in an amazing location for travelers visiting by train as it is right around the corner from the train station and just off of the main Prince's street. The rooms were clean and had big lockers provided. The staff was very friendly and willing to give advice on where to go! They also let us leave our bags in the reception area even after we checked out for the day which was very much appreciated!

This hostel was nice, but there are better options in the area. You only get two hours of free wifi and it only works in the common room. This is fine, and plenty of time to plan for the next day, but something that should be noted. There aren't very many outlets either. The only one I could find was out in the hall so I had to sit their waiting for my camera and phone to charge. The lockers do not have locks provided. Over all a very clean and friendly hostel nonetheless.

The staff were friendly and welcoming. We stayed over the new year period so the hostel was priced quite high for what it was however, they were very good at accomodating a big group of us and we had a great time. Would recommend.

• 30th Dec 2015
  • New Zealand

Fantastic location for Hogmanay. Great access to Edinburgh castle and waverley train station but the hostel itself was a let down. It was very old and run down with pretty average beds/pillows. Atmosphere was non existent. A good location to rest the head but nothing more.

Stopped in for a night on my way to the airport. Great hostel, friendly staff, comfortable rooms. The only thing I wish I knew in advance was how many stairs there are! Normally I wouldn't mind but if you have lots of luggage (which I did) be aware that the only way up is 5 flights of spiral stairs, so be prepared!

I didn´t like my stay in this hostel, the staff is good and made a christmas dinner, they put effort and that was really good, but it´s the only good thing about there. The room is a mess, people live there, so itps not like most hostel with only travelers. There was alcohol and pot in the room. People came back drung and didn´t let me sleep. I didn´t felt safe at all.

Looks like absolut no money is getting invested in maintenance. I've been in many hostels so far, also for the same price but this was the worst. No money to repair even a toilet flushing? In the first room where we should sleep were two mid 40 guys taking/preparing drugs and hearing loud music. I'm happy that we were able to change the room. So we had at least a quiet night.

• 22nd Dec 2015

The true broke-traveller hostel experience... Five flights of stairs to climb with the suitcase, you need google maps to find your way to your room, then there's no wifi in the bedrooms (you have to go down to the reception), paint coming off the walls, bathroom on my floor out of order had to go back down, no ladder to get up into the bed (wtf?) ... On the upside, the bed was actually quite comfortable and the hostel is 2 min away from Waverley so that is ok. Just be prepared.

• 28th Nov 2015

Would definitely recommend this hostel to anybody...but disabled who can't climb the 55 steps to get to it.

• 15th Nov 2015

Two hours of wifi then you had to pay. wifi didnt reach to my room nor did the plugs at mybed work there was one extension bar in the middle of the room. Advertised with free tea and coffee. No milk included. Who drinks black tea and coffee not everyone!! I thought that was a little off putting. When I reached my room and found my bed ...my bunk was barely a foot wide. Every time I rolled over my head hit the top bunk or my hair got stuck I wpuld have had more room in a coffin! So small 1could

Horrible!!!! So dirty and bad staff who did nothing about problematic guests

• 13th Nov 2015

The mattes was very thin and springy and pillows very thin and uncomfortable but the room (4bed dorm) was a good size for a one night stay. Of we were staying longer then a little more space would have been nice. I didn't use the kitchen. Location perfect just of the main street and walkable to other parts of town.

• 13th Nov 2015

Junkie cave looking atmosphere could have even be cool if there wouldn't have been a group of drunk youngters shoutin and screaming for the whole night. No peace to sleep, toilet papers finished all the time, bedlinen missing at first, credit card payment system down, luggage storage system didn't seem very safe, deposit request for the key seemed strange...was a complete disappointment, and we didnt actually ask for much, just a safe clean modest place to sleep for one night.

• 7th Nov 2015
  • Finland

i was told that only people with the keybands and blue cards could get in but somehow people without them got through security. everything feels really old but at least the showers held hot water. it was also nice that they hold your luggage before you check in and until 9 pm when you check out.

Bed Quality need to be improved, Cleanlines and internet access should be 24hs in the hostel... paying few more amount should not a concern for getting a better facility with most of the People. Staff is really friendly and location is close to bus & train station.

• 6th Nov 2015
  • India

Everything was great except the toilet facilities where the flush was not working in 1 of the cubicles. Hand soap would be greatly appreciated as well.

• 31st Oct 2015
  • Singapore

This is a great place to stay in a great city. This was my first time to stay in a hostel and it was all that I hoped it would be. The staff here are very helpful and courteous. The rooms are all you need for a short stay. The kitchen is very well equipped and clean. The best thing about this hostel is the location in the centre of the city. I would recommend this hostel to anyone who wants a basic but friendly place to stay. You only get out what you put in.

• 30th Oct 2015
  • Northern Ireland

I loved my stay here. The staff and people staying were so friendly and the art work on the walls as cool.

improve the cleanliness of the room

• 23rd Oct 2015
  • Chile

On our floor a bathroom was locked and out of use, as was the shower, in a room where the toilet was doorless and use meant locking the outer door, preventing use of the one sink available for the floor. No sink in our six bed dorm. Also we were advised that check out time was ten thirty. At ten a male employee entered the room and stripped all the duvets (not sheets), then told my daughter, still in bed and unable to get out without compromising modesty, that he wanted her duvet covers too.

« first « Prev 1 2 3