Princes Street Backpackers East Reviews

5 West Register Street - top floor, Edinburgh, Scotland

Overall it was a nice experience,only towards the end of our staying there was an unpleasant incident.it was 10:15 am and we were still in our pyjamas, one of us was brushing her teeth and then the person cleaning the rooms came in without knocking,opening the door with her own key and started cleaning the room while we were still in it ! The check out time is 10:30.

• 18th Jun 2015
  • Poland

No curtains in the bedrooms and the blankets were so small they couldn't cover me fully. Only 2 hoursoffree wifi which sounds like a silly thing to whinge about but free wifi should basically be standard

As said on ad free wifi (only 2 hours) throughout which was not the case, not availablein room and free dinner for guests on Sunday's also didnt exist. But alot of food and entertainment goods on sale in reception which was kinda cool

Not my best hostel experience. The wifi wasn't working. There was long black hair in our "clean" beds. The showers on our floor was out of order, so we had to shower downstairs. The toilet on our floor was fairly clean - there was only one toilet on that floor and one morning staff occupied that toilet for half an hour, which is quite a lot of time when there's no shower. We knocked on the door a couple times, as we were in a bit of a hurry because we had to check out, and they

H O R R I B LE

• 7th Jun 2015
  • Colombia

We arrived after midnight and the receptionist gave us a friendly welcome. The best thing about the place were the paintings on the wall, and the key to the room is a modern system. We only stayed for 8 hours so did not have a chance to see the kitchen. I didn't like that women and men had to share bathroom, for a woman that's not nice at all. The room was ok but the sheets looked and smell dirty, and we expected clean sheets, of course. No towels were given and the mattress was way too thin.

It was a bit frustrating that the shower was out of order but I understand these things can be beyond the Hostel's control.

Excellent staff. Very friendly and helpful at arrival and when we needed extra duvets as the bed springs were hurting. The bed was awful but it was fixed with duvets. Cool atmosphere and awesome paintings on the walls. No curtains in the room but a beautiful view of the sunset between the buildings :-) Very good location in the city centre. Though I hated the smoke cloud at the street entrance as you're not allowed to smoke inside.

Great location and nice staff!

The wifi was not free, you had to pay for it.

Excellent place, great people both staff and guests.. I'll be back ;)

• 13th May 2015
  • Scotland

Loved this hostel! Very funky and fun.

• 10th May 2015

Only (big) inconvenience was the flights of stairs to access the hostel which should be mentioned more clearly on the website as there is no lift. My friend had a leg injury and had to struggle up and down every day, not nice. Other than that I would recommend the place. Our room was very basic but had the minimum comfort you'd expect when staying in a hostel. Bathroom was always clean and has modern shower cubicles. Helpful staff. Convenient location. Quiet at night, even at the weekend.

Fantastic hostel! A true backpackers hostel in the heart of Edinburgh; great staff and fellow guests, we really enjoy the common areas, there's so much to do! Board games, paint, puzzles, instruments, and an incredible VHS collection! My partner and I felt welcomed and homely right away, we kept extending our stay! Thanks guys!

• 6th May 2015

We just arrive to the building and there were 4 floors up. In reception, they didn't really explain where the things were, just the money in advance +10£ for the room key. Once in the room we looked around and were old furnitures full of damage. Moreover, we went to the toilets to have a look and were mixed, the walls were broken, shower's hangers broken too...it looks like careless. To finish, just 2 hour free internet and after that we have to pay (they didn't explain it the first day)

• 1st May 2015
  • Spain

Perfect location, overall good experience. Good guy at reception. 1 night only though, for example did not took shower or used kitchen etc to have full opinion

• 1st May 2015
  • Greece

wifi is not fair - 2 hours/ room do not mean that the wifi is free, for full honesty mention it 77 steps to the hostel - also not mentioned in the description card terminal is not working little blue ID cards are useless, meaningless, easy to destroy and lose ---- the hostel should come up with another form of identification staff is unpleasant, impolite and rude

• 17th Apr 2015
  • Hungary

The hostel took us a little bit by surprise. The location is great, and the steps warning was fine too. Personally not used to the paintings and found them overbearing. Lots of people staying here. It's a busy place but had a great nights sleep here. :)

• 11th Apr 2015

As a first time hostel experience by myself I didn't have any expectations. Staff were super helpful and friendly, rooms were clean and fun, all the maze-like stairs just added to the fun of the place. I ended up staying 3 nights. Location is right near Edinburgh Waverley station. Only first 2 hours of wifi was free (that you can log out to save your minutes) but that's all I needed. Definitely recommend to people with no expectations and enjoy the hostel for what it is!

• 10th Apr 2015

Good hostel, clean rooms and toilets, great location in the city centre, friendly staff.No good if you have heavy luggage: the hostel is on the top floor of a building,you need to go 77 step to reach it. I was lucky a very kind (and strong) gentleman I met on the stairs helped me carrying it. Also only 1 power socket for a 6 bed dormitory! Not enough at all. But they say they are renovating the rooms and they will add more of these. Only 2 hors of free wi-fi, if you need more you need to pay.