PubLove @ The Great Eastern, Greenwich Reviews

1 Glenaffric Avenue, London, England

Fresh @ Great Eastern was an awesome hostel. I would recommend to others and would stay again. However while I was there a laptop did get stolen, security could easily be upgraded to get an excellent review. The hostel doesn't have a kitchen but there are shops around and the friendly staff will lend you cutlery if needed. I stayed for two weeks and on the first day the sanitary bins were overflowing at the end of the stay they were the same. Disgusting. Breakfast was good and the free wifi 😃

The hostel almost ovelooks the Thames (must go for a walk along the river from here).5 minutes walk from Island Gardens station. lockers provided (padlocks available for purchase). Friendly staff. The hostel is part of a pub: nice vibe, nice character, pub hall with plenty of sockets for laptop users and comfy armchairs open 24 hours a day. free breakfast, free wifi (can be slow at times). 10% discount on food and beverages for hostel guests.

The staff here was very accommodating. I had a couple issues that didn't even have to do with the hostel and they were more than happy to help me out.

• 18th Jul 2014

This location was a little ways out from the city center, about a 25 minute train ride. However, it is near Greenwich which is a cool area in itself that I didn't really get to explore much. It was kind of nice to get away from all the hustle of the city center. A couple of the people handling the bar area were nice, and the guests here were a mixture of all kinds of people, from people there looking for work to some just visiting on vacation.

Better wi-fi, please

Very expensive, very baddly located, not a single advantage and the staff, altough polite, managed to give my bed to another person...I found out at 2 am I didn't have a bed.... Never stay at this hostel!

• 3rd Jul 2014

One of the showers did not have a door on it and the rooms are a bit cramped - I assume to provide more beds for more people - but it´s a bit difficult to move about in the actual dorms. Also, there is no wifi in the rooms, only in the lounge. The location is a bit out of the way, but it's not too bad to get to and from central London.

If you are looking for the absolute basics this is what you want. Bathroom wasn't nearly as clean as I had hoped it would be.

• 26th May 2014

The place is awesome to stay for a few days but you gotta be lucky not to get in a moisty room and it will be a problem if you are allergic or something but the price is really good and it is located quite near from the tube station

The hot water didn't work, the sheets weren't very clean, and the hostel was in the middle of nowhere

• 2nd May 2014

We booked a 6-bed-dorm and got a 12(!)-bed-dorm without any comment. The 12-bed didnt have a private bathroom, there were 3 showers and 2 toilets to be shared with the whole floor (>20 people), men an women (NO seperate bathrooms, unaccaptable!). 2 sockets for 12 people (good luck if you wanted to charge your phone), not enough plates, knives, jam etc. for breakfast. No sockets in the bathroom.

Great place with great staff.

I saw the cleaners doing their work several times while staying in the hostel. They clean the environment very regularly! And the Italian staff in the reception is quite friendly, smiling all the time. The location is a little far from central London but very near the DLR station. I think it is not too dangerous for girls to walk on the street there at night. I've stayed there twice as the price is very affordable! I would recommend it!

I am sure I won't recommend this hostel to friends. The room was quite smelly and moisty (you were not allowed to open the window). The toilets/showers looked like a nightmare everytime I went to take a shower in the morning. There seemed to be no respect for people who needed to rest/work or wake up early in the morning. The lounge room was OK and the staff members were nice. But this is not a cosy hostel. I believe it's a good place to party and to sleep for a cheap price. But that's it.

1. Quiet time is listed, unfortunately newcomers could not find their allotted beds, I woke up by a person enquiring was I in correct bed number and show my ticket to confirm @ 01.30.

I was very satisfied with the hostel. I think that the atmosphere was great, nice to sit in the pub for breakfast and very helpful staff!

• 14th Feb 2014
  • Denmark

After taking my deposit and having traveled all the way there they refused to let me in as I do not own a passport and I was subjected to a night on the streets of London

• 14th Feb 2014
  • Northern Ireland

It is a good pplace to stay. Offers good value, but of course not the most central location.

Hostel is above a pub, they have triple bunk beds with plastic sheeting on the mattress does not make for a comfortable night. No kitchen facilities which if you are using it for long stay is rather annoying. Bathroom get's very messy as people use it and is only cleaned once a day. They also charge nearly triple the price for the weekend which is ridiculous, I'm sure if could be worse but it could be a LOT better

great hostel for the price